All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26550
Location: Miami, FL
dolphin25 wrote:
I am going by the ratings that you love so much.... Stanton IS rated higher then Tannehill.


Which school did you receive your education at?

The only one in the world that teaches that 78.7 is greater than 90.8?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:43 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
Rich wrote:
dolphin25 wrote:
I am going by the ratings that you love so much.... Stanton IS rated higher then Tannehill.


Which school did you receive your education at?

The only one in the world that teaches that 78.7 is greater than 90.8?


:haha


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:56 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
dolphin25 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
He has improved drastically in his 3rd year. That cannot be denied.


Where?

Just saying it is so doesnt make it real.

Where do you think he has improved drastically?


Uh, check the stats son.
He has improved in every statistical category (including rushing stats) in all 3 years so far as a pro.
And in this year in particular he played big time football against the likes of Green Bay, San Diego, Buffalo, Denver and Baltimore. It's been the defense that has crap the bed time and time again. The defense is responsible for keeping us out of the playoffs, along with our terrible head coach.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26550
Location: Miami, FL
Comparing performance on 3rd downs is pointless without looking at breakdowns by distance. How often does Tannehill find himself in 3rd and long compared to other QBs? I'm willing to bet a QB that can hand it off to Beastmode finds himself in more manageable distance on third down than a QB on a team that abandons the run early on a regular basis.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am
Posts: 2159
Rich wrote:
Comparing performance on 3rd downs is pointless without looking at breakdowns by distance. How often does Tannehill find himself in 3rd and long compared to other QBs? I'm willing to bet a QB that can hand it off to Beastmode finds himself in more manageable distance on third down than a QB on a team that abandons the run early on a regular basis.


I think it's valid when combined with trailing and 4th quater stats, and how they mirror each other, and how much of a difference there is in those particular stats, and how he compares with other QBs in these stats combined.

These stats mirror what we see on the field, the 4 missed TD's at crucial times in crucial games, Bills and Jets last year, Pats and Ravens this year, he's played bad in all these crucial must win games, against good teams and bad, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

At some point Rich, you eventually come to a conclusion, when it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:35 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 9:22 pm
Posts: 1109
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Finster i completely understand your pessimism. We all have it. Its been forever since we've had the "REAL THING" at QB. We are Jaded, we have been cheated. However we want to look at it.

But there is still no denying the fact that RT is the best QB to line up in a Dolphins Uniform since Number 13 moved on.

I do get your arguments. But we have given RT the chance to improve... and he has.

Just because he is not the next coming of Marino is still no reason to move on. I am perfectly happy with where Tannehill is in his evolution.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:02 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
Dolphin fans suffer from Marino-itis


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 5201
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Finster wrote:
when it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck.


Odd how that image isn't shared on a national scale.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am
Posts: 2159
SkyHigh314 wrote:
Finster i completely understand your pessimism. We all have it. Its been forever since we've had the "REAL THING" at QB. We are Jaded, we have been cheated. However we want to look at it.

But there is still no denying the fact that RT is the best QB to line up in a Dolphins Uniform since Number 13 moved on.

I do get your arguments. But we have given RT the chance to improve... and he has.

Just because he is not the next coming of Marino is still no reason to move on. I am perfectly happy with where Tannehill is in his evolution.


I respect your opinion Sky, but I disagree that it's pssemistic, it's just reality. Tanne is one of the best QBs we've had since Marino, the only exception I make is Pennington, but that doesn't really mean much since all our QBs besides Penne have been failures.

Lets be fair Sky, I never compared him to Marino, I was comparing him to Joe Flacco and Jay Cutler, he doesn't have to be the next Marino, just don't crumble in crucial situations.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:08 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10860
Location: MA
Finster wrote:
I was comparing him to Joe Flacco and Jay Cutler, he doesn't have to be the next Marino, just don't crumble in crucial situations.


How many games has he led a 4th quarter drive to put his team ahead versus crumbling? I don't know the answer, but if we're being "fair" that exercise should at least be done.

And to be fair, last year Flacco in his sixth season had some of the worst stats of any QB. He no longer had an elite defense and ground game assisting him. In his 3rd season he had very similar numbers to Tannehill and regressed in his 4th year. Team didn't bail on him.

I believe Matt Stafford has never beat a winning team on the road. He's had one good season. No one in Detroit is saying he is what he is (by the way, he throws to perhaps the greatest receiver of the last 10 years).

Point - I can't think of too many rookie to 3rd year QBs over the last decade who have lifted their teams up on their back. Most of those guys had darn near complete rosters and coaches who put the team in position to succeed.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:13 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 9:22 pm
Posts: 1109
Location: Piscataway, NJ
The point is, Tannehill should not have to carry this team... that is an unrealistic game plan for success..

This team HAD the personnel to lean on the defense.. and let the offense play. Philbin set a goal of 25 points per game... they were at that mark until 2 weeks ago.. So with that mind, I believe the Offense has pretty much achieved its original expectations.

These last couple weeks have been awful offensively with production.. I'll admit that, but Tannehill did not lose the Ravens game, and Tannehill was not the reason New England scored 24 points in the third quarter.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:29 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9089
If I recall, RT had 4th quarter drives where he put us ahead. Greenbay, Det, and I believe Denver, but our defense didn't hold up their end of the bargain.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
Makchell wrote:
If I recall, RT had 4th quarter drives where he put us ahead. Greenbay, Det, and I believe Denver, but our defense didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Exactly


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:13 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:25 pm
Posts: 129
TommyNoleFin wrote:
dolfan91 wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
I'd certainly trade him..... but not for Cutler. More like for a pick I can use to trade up to get Famous Jameis


Theres only gonna be one qb from this draft who's gonna be legit Mariotta. Thats someone i would trade up for.


An avatar bet says Winston will have a much better pro career than Mariota. Mariota's mechanics will not translate to NFL success. Mariota = Tebow II


Im down for that lol


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:22 am 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:35 am
Posts: 76
Location: Eastern PA
There's no way I'd want Cutler over Tannehill. But, I agree with Finster that Tannehill is not who I'd want to count on when the game/season is on the line. He has the physical skills, but not the Alpha Male, Take Charge, "There's no way we're going to lose" mentality. He could be a decent game manager QB, but he's no franchise QB.

That said, if there's no one better at the moment to replace him, then you have to make the most of what you have. I blame the entire coaching staff for their poor record more than I blame Tannehill. If your QB can't carry the offense, then the offense must carry the QB. This offense was IMO more successful when they ran more and Tannehill threw less. But, that is the complete opposite of Philbin's offensive philosophy. I say give Tannehill a big strong o-line. He needs time to survey the field and find the open receivers. Give him a good running game that is actually used. The one-dimensional, unbalanced offense consisting of 90% short passes that they're running is artificially inflating RT's stats, but it's not helping him to become a better all-around QB. I refuse to even consider the poor pass blocking by the o-line as an excuse for throwing all short passes because running the ball would help to slow down the pass rush. Philbin doesn't want a "run-first" offense, he wants a "throw-short" offense.

Want Tannehill to do better? Fire the coaching staff and bring in someone who understands that good teams can (and do) run the ball. It makes more sense to build offensive (and defensive) strategies based on the strengths and talent on the team than to bring in a set scheme and force the players into it.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 6208
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Look , there are 32 NFL teams & only about 20 legit NFL quarterbacks. We have one. In fact our guy is probably top 10. Glaring needs? Yes. At the QB position , No.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:05 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9089
Now we will see if RT can lead a 4th quarter drive to win the game. Here is the "fact" we've been looking for.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:10 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9089
Never mind, special teams fumble. Now we will see if RT can tie it.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:30 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
There you go Mak, further proof #17 isn't the problem Its defense, O-line and coaching.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:31 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9089
It's only a small sample, but RT drove us down the field and tied this game up. A fact is a fact (again, I know a small sample), but he got the job done. Like I said before, the D let us down against Den, GB, and Det. Hell, the D let us down today too!! Luckily, the O and Rt picked up the slack.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:32 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
look at his numbers today....ridiculous, just like he did in the Denver game. Tannehill is a top 13 QB and one of the best 7 or 8 young guns in the league. He's only getting better.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:40 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9089
He is not the problem on this team. Slow starts and defensive scheme. That's Philbin and Coyle.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:13 am 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:35 am
Posts: 76
Location: Eastern PA
Makchell wrote:
He is not the problem on this team. Slow starts and defensive scheme. That's Philbin and Coyle.


I agree that Philbin and Coyle are more of a problem than Tannehill. Unfortunately, Philbin will be back. Before last season, he had to be "persuaded" by Ross to get rid of Sherman. Unless Ross does the same thing again, Philbin will definitely keep Coyle because I don't think that Philbin sees a problem with the defensive schemes and playcalling.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 2552
Location: NSW, Australia
I would trade him for Cutler... If they threw in 3 first round drafts to go along with it


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6945
Cutler is not going anywhere. He carries something like a 19 million cap hit if not on the Bears next yr.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r