Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:33 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

dolphin25 wrote:
I am going by the ratings that you love so much.... Stanton IS rated higher then Tannehill.

Which school did you receive your education at?

The only one in the world that teaches that 78.7 is greater than 90.8?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:43 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Rich wrote:
dolphin25 wrote:
I am going by the ratings that you love so much.... Stanton IS rated higher then Tannehill.

Which school did you receive your education at?

The only one in the world that teaches that 78.7 is greater than 90.8?

:haha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:56 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

dolphin25 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
He has improved drastically in his 3rd year. That cannot be denied.

Where?

Just saying it is so doesnt make it real.

Where do you think he has improved drastically?

Uh, check the stats son.
He has improved in every statistical category (including rushing stats) in all 3 years so far as a pro.
And in this year in particular he played big time football against the likes of Green Bay, San Diego, Buffalo, Denver and Baltimore. It's been the defense that has crap the bed time and time again. The defense is responsible for keeping us out of the playoffs, along with our terrible head coach.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:00 pm 

Comparing performance on 3rd downs is pointless without looking at breakdowns by distance. How often does Tannehill find himself in 3rd and long compared to other QBs? I'm willing to bet a QB that can hand it off to Beastmode finds himself in more manageable distance on third down than a QB on a team that abandons the run early on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Comparing performance on 3rd downs is pointless without looking at breakdowns by distance. How often does Tannehill find himself in 3rd and long compared to other QBs? I'm willing to bet a QB that can hand it off to Beastmode finds himself in more manageable distance on third down than a QB on a team that abandons the run early on a regular basis.

I think it's valid when combined with trailing and 4th quater stats, and how they mirror each other, and how much of a difference there is in those particular stats, and how he compares with other QBs in these stats combined.

These stats mirror what we see on the field, the 4 missed TD's at crucial times in crucial games, Bills and Jets last year, Pats and Ravens this year, he's played bad in all these crucial must win games, against good teams and bad, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

At some point Rich, you eventually come to a conclusion, when it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finster i completely understand your pessimism. We all have it. Its been forever since we've had the "REAL THING" at QB. We are Jaded, we have been cheated. However we want to look at it.

But there is still no denying the fact that RT is the best QB to line up in a Dolphins Uniform since Number 13 moved on.

I do get your arguments. But we have given RT the chance to improve... and he has.

Just because he is not the next coming of Marino is still no reason to move on. I am perfectly happy with where Tannehill is in his evolution.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:02 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Dolphin fans suffer from Marino-itis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:15 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finster wrote:
when it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Odd how that image isn't shared on a national scale.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Finster i completely understand your pessimism. We all have it. Its been forever since we've had the "REAL THING" at QB. We are Jaded, we have been cheated. However we want to look at it.

But there is still no denying the fact that RT is the best QB to line up in a Dolphins Uniform since Number 13 moved on.

I do get your arguments. But we have given RT the chance to improve... and he has.

Just because he is not the next coming of Marino is still no reason to move on. I am perfectly happy with where Tannehill is in his evolution.

I respect your opinion Sky, but I disagree that it's pssemistic, it's just reality. Tanne is one of the best QBs we've had since Marino, the only exception I make is Pennington, but that doesn't really mean much since all our QBs besides Penne have been failures.

Lets be fair Sky, I never compared him to Marino, I was comparing him to Joe Flacco and Jay Cutler, he doesn't have to be the next Marino, just don't crumble in crucial situations.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:08 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finster wrote:
I was comparing him to Joe Flacco and Jay Cutler, he doesn't have to be the next Marino, just don't crumble in crucial situations.

How many games has he led a 4th quarter drive to put his team ahead versus crumbling? I don't know the answer, but if we're being "fair" that exercise should at least be done.

And to be fair, last year Flacco in his sixth season had some of the worst stats of any QB. He no longer had an elite defense and ground game assisting him. In his 3rd season he had very similar numbers to Tannehill and regressed in his 4th year. Team didn't bail on him.

I believe Matt Stafford has never beat a winning team on the road. He's had one good season. No one in Detroit is saying he is what he is (by the way, he throws to perhaps the greatest receiver of the last 10 years).

Point - I can't think of too many rookie to 3rd year QBs over the last decade who have lifted their teams up on their back. Most of those guys had darn near complete rosters and coaches who put the team in position to succeed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:13 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The point is, Tannehill should not have to carry this team... that is an unrealistic game plan for success..

This team HAD the personnel to lean on the defense.. and let the offense play. Philbin set a goal of 25 points per game... they were at that mark until 2 weeks ago.. So with that mind, I believe the Offense has pretty much achieved its original expectations.

These last couple weeks have been awful offensively with production.. I'll admit that, but Tannehill did not lose the Ravens game, and Tannehill was not the reason New England scored 24 points in the third quarter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:29 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

If I recall, RT had 4th quarter drives where he put us ahead. Greenbay, Det, and I believe Denver, but our defense didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Makchell wrote:
If I recall, RT had 4th quarter drives where he put us ahead. Greenbay, Det, and I believe Denver, but our defense didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Exactly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:13 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

TommyNoleFin wrote:
dolfan91 wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
I'd certainly trade him..... but not for Cutler. More like for a pick I can use to trade up to get Famous Jameis

Theres only gonna be one qb from this draft who's gonna be legit Mariotta. Thats someone i would trade up for.

An avatar bet says Winston will have a much better pro career than Mariota. Mariota's mechanics will not translate to NFL success. Mariota = Tebow II

Im down for that lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:22 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

There's no way I'd want Cutler over Tannehill. But, I agree with Finster that Tannehill is not who I'd want to count on when the game/season is on the line. He has the physical skills, but not the Alpha Male, Take Charge, "There's no way we're going to lose" mentality. He could be a decent game manager QB, but he's no franchise QB.

That said, if there's no one better at the moment to replace him, then you have to make the most of what you have. I blame the entire coaching staff for their poor record more than I blame Tannehill. If your QB can't carry the offense, then the offense must carry the QB. This offense was IMO more successful when they ran more and Tannehill threw less. But, that is the complete opposite of Philbin's offensive philosophy. I say give Tannehill a big strong o-line. He needs time to survey the field and find the open receivers. Give him a good running game that is actually used. The one-dimensional, unbalanced offense consisting of 90% short passes that they're running is artificially inflating RT's stats, but it's not helping him to become a better all-around QB. I refuse to even consider the poor pass blocking by the o-line as an excuse for throwing all short passes because running the ball would help to slow down the pass rush. Philbin doesn't want a "run-first" offense, he wants a "throw-short" offense.

Want Tannehill to do better? Fire the coaching staff and bring in someone who understands that good teams can (and do) run the ball. It makes more sense to build offensive (and defensive) strategies based on the strengths and talent on the team than to bring in a set scheme and force the players into it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:39 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Look , there are 32 NFL teams & only about 20 legit NFL quarterbacks. We have one. In fact our guy is probably top 10. Glaring needs? Yes. At the QB position , No.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:05 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Now we will see if RT can lead a 4th quarter drive to win the game. Here is the "fact" we've been looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:10 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Never mind, special teams fumble. Now we will see if RT can tie it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

There you go Mak, further proof #17 isn't the problem Its defense, O-line and coaching.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:31 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It's only a small sample, but RT drove us down the field and tied this game up. A fact is a fact (again, I know a small sample), but he got the job done. Like I said before, the D let us down against Den, GB, and Det. Hell, the D let us down today too!! Luckily, the O and Rt picked up the slack.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:32 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

look at his numbers today....ridiculous, just like he did in the Denver game. Tannehill is a top 13 QB and one of the best 7 or 8 young guns in the league. He's only getting better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:40 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He is not the problem on this team. Slow starts and defensive scheme. That's Philbin and Coyle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:13 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Makchell wrote:
He is not the problem on this team. Slow starts and defensive scheme. That's Philbin and Coyle.

I agree that Philbin and Coyle are more of a problem than Tannehill. Unfortunately, Philbin will be back. Before last season, he had to be "persuaded" by Ross to get rid of Sherman. Unless Ross does the same thing again, Philbin will definitely keep Coyle because I don't think that Philbin sees a problem with the defensive schemes and playcalling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I would trade him for Cutler... If they threw in 3 first round drafts to go along with it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Cutler is not going anywhere. He carries something like a 19 million cap hit if not on the Bears next yr.

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2