Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
He has had 3 consecutive appearances in the NFC Championship game and gotten to a Super Bowl. If you want to say he can wear on a locker room, that is a valid point.

But before he got to San Fran, they were a mess.

I am taking Tony's quote and running with this as a thread topic. With the exception of one golden year in 2008 the Miami Dolphins franchise has been down for the past 10 years. As a fan can it really get any worse if Stephen Ross hires Jim Harbaugh?? All the guy has done is WIN wherever he goes at both the College level and pro level and to Tony's above comments, he took a San Fran team in disarray and turned that team around IMMEDIATELY and 3 consecutive appearances challenging towards the Superbowl.

I don't know about you, but I would give my left arm as a fan to see the days again where Miami is relevant and competes towards the Superbowl and if we have to hire a guy that is an A$$ to accomplish this mission, then so be it.

Why people are hung up that oh you hire Jim Harbaugh and his players will hate him blah, blah, blah. This is a business. The fans are over due for a winning program and I hope Stephen Ross backs the brinks truck up to Harbaugh's home and makes him an absurd offer that no one else will touch and if this means Harbaugh also getting full control, so what??? Can it get any worse for Dolphin fans from the past ten years of misery?

Hire a winner. He is still young and full of fire and desire. Hire Jim Harbaugh and let's get this Dolphins program turned around.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I've been on the hire Harbaugh train since last year when I heard the rumors of an eventual split. He's a winner. But I've also liked what I've read and heard about Gus Malzahn from Auburn. Inventive offense with a spread power running attack. Auburn runs the ball down the throats of defenses.. His spread offense creates wide running lanes for his backs much like Chip Kellys offense does. And he creates alot of mismatch opportunities in the passing game which benefits from the run game.
Malzahn sounds like the next big thing in the NFL.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:48 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Do whatever it takes to STFU.

NO THANKS-

As I mentioned on another thread-
Harbaugh is a glorified college coach that does not know how to be a leader amongst GROWN MEN. Tough, hard nosed disciplinarians work very well with 18-22 year olds, but they rub ADULTS the wrong way.

He lead a team through a division that is no where near as difficult as the AFC East currently is to a weaker conference's championship game already having significant pieces already in place. And then in year 4 he has lost the team to the point where the same talent will not place for him, and is an embarrassing punch line to the 2014 season.

NO THANK YOU!!!

Go ahead, those are the facts on the table. He will not bring Miami any championships.... he'll be Nick Saban part deux... and eventually will leave when the Front Office rubs him the wrong way. We have 1 cancer in the front office, her name is Dawn.... lets leave it at that..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:10 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
He lead a team through a division that is no where near as difficult as the AFC East currently is to a weaker conference's championship game already having significant pieces already in place. And then in year 4 he has lost the team to the point where the same talent will not place for him, and is an embarrassing punch line to the 2014 season.

He won the NFC West multiple times when that division was inarguably the best in football...I don't understand how people say the "pieces were already there", remind me, what was SF's previous records dating back 1-3 years prior to Harbaugh? Hardly a roster that struck fear into anyone. That image changed drastically once he was hired. Had to have been a huge coincidence.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:51 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

pieces included:
Alex Smith- who under Harbaugh was one of the top rated passers in the league
Frank Gore- perennial top 5 RB in the league
Vernon Davis- perennial top 5 TE in the league
Michael Crabtree- top drafted young WR
Anthony Davis @ RT

On defense-
Manny Lawson
Novorro Bowman
Patrick Willis

Thats not a bad line-up to start with when the West was DEFINITELY DOWN! Arizona owned that division until Harbaugh and Carroll built up the 49ers and the Seahawks. 2010 there was a 7-9 team that won the division..... Harbaugh took over a team that was 1 game out of first place in a BAD DIVISION.

Yes, now they can arguably be considered the best division in football, but not 4 years ago.

And yes, that roster is alot more intimidating than what Philbin had to work with 3 years ago- No QB, No RB, no proven TE, only one WR worth mentioning (lets call Hartline what he is).... and a Defense that was stout against the run but was assaulted through the air and had major coverage issues.....

I would say that the 2010 49ers > 2011 Dolphins

I dont understand what the argument here is.....

Harbaugh took a team that was 1 win out of the division race in the worst division in football, and brought them to the NFC Championship..... and then did the same exact thing 2 more years, and couldnt get over the hump..

Let me tell you a better coaching option. Rex Ryan took a New York Jets doormat in a HARDER division to the AFC Championship with a rookie QB named Mark Sanchez.... he didnt do that once, he did it twice.... in his first two years.

Ryan actually can motivate MEN, and get the most out of nothing.... last year is a prime example. Getting an 8-8 team out of that trainwreck is an accomplishment..... And Ryan's players love him....

Harbaugh's players would bury him in a desert if they werent afraid of getting into trouble for it.

Put it this way..... brand new stadium.... loaded, talented roster..... and an opportunity to rise to the occasion this season, and what happened... they refuse to play. THATS UNACCEPTABLE.

And you want to hire the guy in charge of the crap?!?! Congrats, you get the moron award of the decade.

Let Harbaugh go back to Michigan.... and Ryan should be the top candidate... At least we know there will be longer than a 3 year honeymoon before the wheels fall off the bus.... unless you want to continue this 3 year wash and repeat cycle that the 2000's have brought to the Miami Dolphins coaching staff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:22 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finhead, I'm going to think this is a must try move by Ross. The Super Bowl is about "now", so, who cares if the whole team hates him in 4 years. As far as being liked, Shula's best teams in the NFL were when he wasn't liked much. Who knows, maybe he's learned a few things the past few years about himself.

I'd hate to give up too many top draft picks, but a good coach makes up for it.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:46 am 
2017 Survial Champion
2017 Survial Champion

i may be in the minority but nooooooooooooooo

TOO much ATTITUDE and EGO,,,, he is a college coach where the team roster changes before his BS ruins it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Skyhigh, I certainly respect your opinion of not wanting Harbaugh and that is cool as we will all have our thoughts. However, to call Harbaugh a glorified college coach IMO is way off base. EVERY stop as a coach he has won including IMMEDIATELY taking San Fransisco to 3 NFC Championships within his first 3 seasons AND nearly won a Superbowl. Really hard to call him that glorified College coach when he has already proven he can win at a high level in the NFL and I think he has proven he can coach grown men too.

Now my wanting him a coach and pay him what he wants goes out the window if no amount of money gets him to leave California. However, my point is if I am Ross I am making every darn effort to land a winning coach. This program has been a losing program for too long and having a wall flower coach is NOT going to beat out a guy like Bill Belicheck. I will take Harbaugh and his pissy attitude any day if it means the Dolphins getting back to winning ways.

Thanks for your thoughts Swerve; AFCEAST and Dave, glad we are on the same page in some way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I haven't made up my mind on Harbaugh yet. He seems like a real Rooster

I thought he was a QB guru coming into the pros but Kap has looked like garbage this year.

I want to say that a lot of Harbaugh's success with the 49ers has come from the defense that Singletary had built

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:16 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

No. Harbaugh is a glorifed college coach.... Nick Saban 2.0

I would love to see how he rubs off on any remaining veterans we still have.
He doesnt mesh with the SF players after 3 years and it is public.
Deion is 100% right, and the team doesnt want to play for him.

He took them to 3 NFC championships and a Super bowl loss- HASNT WON
Whats your point. He is engineering a 7-7 lousy SF team with the same players he had last year.

His Schtick has gotten old out there, and he has been a lame duck coaching all season.

We need a coach that can knock off the Patriots.... Its not going to be Harbaugh.

Like i said before.... Go back to the college game, and play tough guy on 18 year olds. Leave the NFL for adults, and let's get a coach that isnt going to run to his "camp" to leak information about leaving.

He is a child, acts like a child.... and when Belichick slaps his team in the face, he'll find a way to deflect the blame onto some one else.

He had 2 years in Stanford.... with the best QB of a generation at the helm.
He had 3 years in San Fran... and has proceeded to bench and send away one ABOVE AVERAGE QB.
AND waste away the future of what was once perceived as one of the better Young QBs.

Please tell me ONE positive that Harbaugh brings to the table? Please.... i dare you.

Record speaks what it is. he took a 6-10 team that was one game off the pace in 2010 to a divisional crown and to the NFC Championship game in year one.... when the West is still one of the worst division in the sport at the time.

The division has noticeably gotten better.... and the Seahawks (coached by Harbaugh's rival Pete Carroll) has surpassed him.... and has turned him into a laughing stock.

I want a coach that will not lose to a college coach PEER..... Our competition is Belichick. One of the "best" coaches in NFL history. The pond is ALOT bigger in the AFC East.... there is a bigger fish living in New England.... I want a coach that can beat New England, not a coach that will be a tough a$$ for no reason and regress in year 3, and collapse in year 4 (with a better roster arguably each time).

Philbin won 2 in a row against NE.... and arguably won the first half last week .

If the options were Philbin or Harbaugh- Id pick Philbin 100 times out of 100.

Philbin needs to go. Bring in the guy that can beat the Patriots in the Playoffs. Bring in the guy that can actually use the strength of this team (The DEFENSE). Give me Rex Ryan or Bust.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Harbaugh's gift for getting the best out of quarterbacks always seemed to be, like everything else, born out of his uncompromising combativeness. All of his stars -- beginning with Josh Johnson at USD, continuing with Andrew Luck at Stanford and culminating with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick in San Francisco -- knew that, deep inside, Harbaugh would be hell-bent to prove he could still play. But the truth is, Harbaugh also showers quarterbacks with the greatest gift they could receive: unfailing belief.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11625 ... difficulty

I do not want the turmoil Harbaugh might bring to Miami.
However, If he does come here, he might take Tannehill to elite status.
I could live with that. :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

SkyHigh314 wrote:

I don't agree with the above antagonistic statement. I don't know that much about Harbaugh but I think it is worth a legitimate discussion.

Just glancing at the 49ers record before and after he came shows that he has accomplished some positive things while there.

Imo some strong points in his favor would be to go from 7-9, 8-8, 6-10 before he was coach to 13-3, 11-4-1, 12-4 and be in two conference championships and one super bowl after he came.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:11 pm 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

Being an SEC fan, I don't understand the hype over the Gus Bus. I mean, theoretically I can understand why people would want him really, but it's not like he's set the world on fire at Auburn. It took what, 3 miracles to get them to the Championship two years ago (admit 1 to my TIde with that kick return, and no my Tide bias isn't playing a part here)?

This year they tanked.

Is it his offensive "mind" that is the biggest lure? I just don't know at what point anything will be an upgrade over Philbin. I think Harbaugh is a upgrade... but who is an upgrade past that?

Don't go all crazy and start the "anyone is better". Realistically the other guys brought in that I've seen mentioned might be a slight upgrade.. but not a Super Bowl bound turn the franchise around upgrade.

Honestly I don't see a winning situation for the Dolphins until Bill B and Tommy B decide to hang their hats up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:29 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:

He won the NFC West multiple times when that division was inarguably the best in football...I don't understand how people say the "pieces were already there", remind me, what was SF's previous records dating back 1-3 years prior to Harbaugh? Hardly a roster that struck fear into anyone. That image changed drastically once he was hired. Had to have been a huge coincidence.

Exactly, people saying Harbaugh is overrated don't know what they're talking about.
What's this guy talking about? Thats been the best division in football.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:31 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Finhead34 wrote:
Skyhigh, I certainly respect your opinion of not wanting Harbaugh and that is cool as we will all have our thoughts. However, to call Harbaugh a glorified college coach IMO is way off base. EVERY stop as a coach he has won including IMMEDIATELY taking San Fransisco to 3 NFC Championships within his first 3 seasons AND nearly won a Superbowl. Really hard to call him that glorified College coach when he has already proven he can win at a high level in the NFL and I think he has proven he can coach grown men too.

Now my wanting him a coach and pay him what he wants goes out the window if no amount of money gets him to leave California. However, my point is if I am Ross I am making every darn effort to land a winning coach. This program has been a losing program for too long and having a wall flower coach is NOT going to beat out a guy like Bill Belicheck. I will take Harbaugh and his pissy attitude any day if it means the Dolphins getting back to winning ways.

Thanks for your thoughts Swerve; AFCEAST and Dave, glad we are on the same page in some way.

I stopped listening when he said Rex Ryan was a better coach than Harbaugh. Get out of here!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:33 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

AQNOR wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:

I don't agree with the above antagonistic statement. I don't know that much about Harbaugh but I think it is worth a legitimate discussion.

Just glancing at the 49ers record before and after he came shows that he has accomplished some positive things while there.

Imo some strong points in his favor would be to go from 7-9, 8-8, 6-10 before he was coach to 13-3, 11-4-1, 12-4 and be in two conference championships and one super bowl after he came.

No way Rex Ryan is better!!! End of discussion!!!
:haha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

your so called best division in football fielded a 7-9 playoff team in 2010 before Harbaugh got hired when the 49ers went 6-10 (one game out)

2011- San Fran walked all over the competition going 13-3.... while the next best Arizona finished 8-8 and STL was a 2-14.

2012- Seattle and San Fran finished with 11 wins each but ARZ and STL finished sub .500 again.

2013- 3 teams had 10 wins. Arizona joined the pack at the top with 10+ wins, but STL remained a doormat for the third year in a row.

2014- ARZ and Seattle are currently 10+ win teams, but SF is @ .500, and STL is sub .500.

So your basing your conclusion that the NFC West is the best division in football on what exactly? When Harbaugh took over, it was the worst division in football...... He had early success, but Carroll has passed him by and SF is in the rear view mirror... started with nearly the same talent level, and Carroll has sealed the deal while Harbaugh has regressed.

Arians has joined the mix, and saw even more radical success than Harbaugh did, and hes on his 3rd starting QB of the season to add to it.

Fisher has done a pretty decent job with Bradford nearly never playing for him, and a turnstile at QB.... but the facts are, 1 team is .500, the other is sub .500......

How is this the best division in football??
AFC West and AFC North have better claims to that title.... and the AFC East looks just as strong as the current NFC West.... even the NFC East looks like it may be better too.....

Thats 3, maybe 4 divisions that are currently "better" than the one division that houses the current Super Bowl champs.

And as it stands right now.... all three rival coaches in the division have surpassed what Harbaugh has been able to do with his squad this season.

For the future, this may be one of the "better" divisions, but it is far from the best. And seeing that in 4 years it has gone from a division sending a sub .500 division champ to the playoffs and had 2 Super bowl appearances.... Sure, thats a great turnaround.

But Harbaugh arguably had the best talent in the division before he was hired... including the best defense in the division at the time of hire...

You want me to reneg on the glorified college coach comment..... fine. Harbaugh is Barry Switzer! Happy now! He hasnt done squat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:39 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Good head coaches are good game managers. Harbaugh hasnt done that. Itd just be more wasted timeouts, neglected positiom voids and ego struggles in the front office. Thats a change in the slightest.
For all the talk of harbaugh having great qbs, when he got to san fran Frank gore was already a top fantasy pick every year with an offensive line already built for success. Miami has neither a steller running back or anywhere near a decent offensive line. And we certainly dont have a patrick willis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:51 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Typing alot doesn't make you sound any smarter Sky. Just a truckload of hot air. Everybody but you recognizes that the nfc west is the best in the league. How on earth are you pumping up the AFC east? Lol, all credibility lost.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
pieces included:
Anthony Davis @ RT

On defense-
Manny Lawson
Novorro Bowman
Patrick Willis

Crabtree isn't a great WR by any means, Smith was only successful and not considered a total bust once Harbaugh got there, Vernon Davis was in the same discussion as smith and was a huge underachiever until Harbaugh arrived, and the NFC West WAS the best division in football beginning with his first season as head coach. He is the reason that team started winning, and had one of the biggest turnarounds in the history of the NFL.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
And you want to hire the guy in charge of the crap?!?! Congrats, you get the moron award of the decade.

You're funny. You still insist that the #@&% AFC EAST is more respectable than the NFC West...I honestly don't even have to respond any further. It's just not worth my time. Appreciate the 1 up though. Not to mention that I never brought up comparing Miami and Philbin's situation, to Harbaugh in SF...that makes no sense.

This roster is much different now than it was 3 years ago when Philbin arrived, and there is little doubt that they have underachieved with the talent here. I'm glad that you think going to the NFC Championship game (which has been the better conference for awhile now) is such an easy thing to do. It's especially remarkable to have that mindset when you root for a franchise like the Dolphins, who have proved time and again what a milestone that would be.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:45 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:
pieces included:
Anthony Davis @ RT

On defense-
Manny Lawson
Novorro Bowman
Patrick Willis

Crabtree isn't a great WR by any means, Smith was only successful and not considered a total bust once Harbaugh got there, Vernon Davis was in the same discussion as smith and was a huge underachiever until Harbaugh arrived, and the NFC West WAS the best division in football beginning with his first season as head coach. He is the reason that team started winning, and had one of the biggest turnarounds in the history of the NFL.

Stop making sense East by telling the true story

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:09 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

SkyHigh314 wrote:
No. Harbaugh is a glorifed college coach.... Nick Saban 2.0

He took them to 3 NFC championships and a Super bowl loss- HASNT WON
Whats your point. He is engineering a 7-7 lousy SF team with the same players he had last year.

If by the same players you mean not having Bowman and Willis in the middle of you defense for the majority of the season. Than losing your 3rd string middle lb for the season Borland. Plus not having Aldon Smith for the first 9 weeks. Than theres pro bowl RT Anthony Davis being out for most of the season. Plus Joe Staley has also been banged up for the majority of the season.

This team looked a lot different than it did last year personnel wise.

SkyHigh314 wrote:
His Schtick has gotten old out there, and he has been a lame duck coaching all season.

They also were saying the same thing about Tom Coughlin before he won 2 super bowls...

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Please tell me ONE positive that Harbaugh brings to the table? Please.... i dare you.

Tougness every team he has ever coached has played tough.

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Record speaks what it is. he took a 6-10 team that was one game off the pace in 2010 to a divisional crown and to the NFC Championship game

Yea record does speak for itself he's coached his teams to a record of 43-18. Which is way better than anything any dolphin coach has done since Shula... Not to mention its better than the majority of coaches in general.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:10 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Please tell you one thing that Harbaugh has ever done? LOL. Are you on drugs? He only leads the NFL in wins since 2011.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:39 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

All your raggin on Harbaugh and he's still gonna get them to 9 wins in his worst season missing tons of pro bowl defenders and Kaepernick playing lousy all year. And playing in the toughest division.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:55 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

So that SF collapse last nite is all on the players?

Just pointing out that the players need to look into the mirror. Fire Philbin? OK , but tossing out the most known name as his replacement just lets you win in the off season months. Something we always seem to think we do.
To date (and I know this can change in the next 2 games) we have lost to all winning teams while being in a position to win against teams like Denver , Green Bay & Detroit.

Maybe the coaching & regime carousel needs to slow down.

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]