All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:07 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Everyone reporting that Ross just announced in the locker room that Coach Philben will be back next year!

I'm speechless. :hithead:

Last edited by madphan13 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Yup. I just got a text from the Sun Sentinel confirming it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

madphan13 wrote:
Everyone reporting that Ross just announced in the locker room that Coach Philben will be back next year!

I'm speechless. :hithead:

Blazing a path to mediocrity!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:16 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

"Dolphins owner Stephen Ross made it a merrier Christmas week in the Philbin household after the game when he said that Philbin would be back as the team’s coach in 2015."

“Here’s a Christmas present. You don’t have to ask me anymore. He has one year left on contract and is coming back,” Ross said, via Andrew Abramson of the Palm Beach Post.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-in-2015/

Last edited by bobby0112 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:16 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

What a frikkin moron. Really Ross, did it mean that much to you to beat bottom feeder Minnesota? What an A-hole. How did this dummy get rich?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:18 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Ross is a pathetic POS owner!!! We need to bleed this idiot's pockets dry!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:22 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Wait, no extension? So he is a lame duck coach in 2015? Ross believes in Philbin so much he won't extend his contract for another year or two?

Terrible news though. What if we fold against the Jests next week? At the very least wait until Philbin gets the team to 9-7.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:23 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Good call. He made it obvious that if we don't make the playoffs next year is he gone, though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:24 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Nice. 6 years in a row we are out of the playoffs. The Dolphins pulled today's game out of their butt today. I mean I am glad they won, but I am convinced in my own opinion that Ross reached out to someone in Harbaugh's camp and that there was confirmation he would not consider the Dolphins job. He can say he did not contact someone on Harbaugh's side, but I don't and won't believe that.

Now we get The Hills Have Eyes for another year and I am betting that Coyle comes back again too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Deus ex dolphin wrote:
Wait, no extension? So he is a lame duck coach in 2015? Ross believes in Philbin so much he won't extend his contract for another year or two?
Exactly what I was thinking. 1 yr with no contract extension make him a lame duck coach, so all next yr we will get to hear about his contract.

Deus ex dolphin wrote:
Terrible news though. What if we fold against the Jests next week? At the very least wait until Philbin gets the team to 9-7.

He will be fired.

I firmly am not buying this 100%.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:31 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

remember these comments when we are playing in #50.
This tells me that Ross has some inside scoop that Harbaugh is going to Oakland , Chicago or Michigan. Personally I am glad for no Harbaugh.
Why break up the great chemistry between Coach & QB.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:04 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I'm absolutely stunned. Mediocre, mediocre, mediocre.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:06 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

This guy will have coached 2 years past the point at which he should have been fired. What a true survivor, i,ll give him that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Harbaugh must have already declined the offer. Haha. We such in every aspect of the organization.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I can understand not changing coaches. Especially if Ross knows he has no chance at Harbaugh. The positives of this move are another year of stability even if that has been mediocre at best. If they win next week they will have improved by 1 win per season. And they have beaten the Patriots and Chargers and gone toe to toe with Denver, Green Bay, Detroit, Bills and Ravens. It also means Lazor is most likely going to return. I am seeing some younger players on offense begin to thrive and contribute. Simms, James, Lamar Miller, Damien Williams, Landry and of course Tannehill.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:38 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

We won the game but lost next year.

Phin wrote:
Harbaugh must have already declined the offer. Haha. We such in every aspect of the organization.

We'd be guilty of tampering if we contacted Harbaugh.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:09 pm 
2017 Survial Champion
2017 Survial Champion

so now the future of the phins rests on HICKEY,,can he put together a roster with enough talent that can win a superbowl in SPITE of the of the head coach ( aka billick) :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:32 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

We have a team in the making. We are so close I can taste it. In years previous, we never had control....even in 2008 when Brady went down and we won the East..we never looked dominant. This year, and at times last year, we looked like a very good football team. We shot ourselves in the foot on MULTIPLE occasions this year. We also didn't catch many of the breaks overall this year.

I wouldn't be opposed to a different defensive scheme or new coordinator though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:41 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Man what a disaster this team is can't do nothing right were 0-8 and can't suck good enough to land Luck. Last year we can't beat two terrible teams to get into the playoffs. This year can't beat any good teams to get in post season but now that the season is over ooo sure now we can win. This is the guy that's leading our team next year a lame duck coach. We need to protest to nfl that Ross(from nyc) is really a jets fan and is purposely running the dolphins into the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:10 pm 

Well for all the Philbin haters I said it as soon as it happened. When the Viking TD was not allowed at the end of the half causing a 4 point swing I said in the chat room that we would win by less than 4 , saving Philbins job because I thought we would beat the Jets next week. Now I did not expect Ross to say Philbin was safe after this game but as much as I like this team , I dislike the owner even more & that was a terrible mistake.
Philbin is coming back , its a done deal. Better get behind him. Harbaugh was not the answer anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:16 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I dont know how to feel. We havent been miserable, but weve had bad moments. I get that you cant be perfect all the time, but the collapse against new england and baltimore and giving up 35 to the vikings...i just dont see much upside to keeping him. And hickey hasnt done much, either. Heres comesa nother season of misused timeouts, a crappy oline, average to non existent run game and a talented underperforming defense.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:18 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Look I'm not saying I'm excited about this announcement but I think a different Defensive Coordinator & another year for Lazor to work with Tannehill will produce an above average team.

Now in Philbin's defense he has gotten rid of every ego & big mouth we had here. & there hasn't been any problems with the law recently. Also this team was the least penalized in the league this season. Those are admirable qualities.

I also believe that giving a coach one more year to learn from his mistakes, assuming theres no better replacement available, would be better than getting a new coach & starting the cycle all over again.

I thought this year was do or die for Philbin & Tannehill but since it isn't, whats the alternative?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:39 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

^^ This

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:58 pm 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

bobby0112 wrote:
The positives of this move are another year of stability even if that has been mediocre at best.

If you call having almost zero pass rush defense and seeing other teams week after week not respecting Miami as a threat...... stability.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:12 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I root for the Fins and they lose. I root against and they win, yet they still lose..... :hithead:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:34 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rick wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:
The positives of this move are another year of stability even if that has been mediocre at best.

If you call having almost zero pass rush defense and seeing other teams week after week not respecting Miami as a threat...... stability.

Stability is an 8-8 or 9-7 record and not having Tannehill learn a 3rd new offense in 4 years. If you need to improve pass rush or run defense you can add a few players through free agency or the draft and not blow the whole thing up and guarantee yourself a new 3 or 4 year rebuilding project. Throw in a better #2 WR and you are looking at a 10-6 or 11-5 team based on the schedule they will play next year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:35 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
Deus ex dolphin wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. 1 yr with no contract extension make him a lame duck coach, so all next yr we will get to hear about his contract

That spells big trouble. The players won't play for a lame duck coach. They will mail it in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:21 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

well.............if thats the case...............fire Coyle, hire Rex Ryan?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:21 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

This announcement really has me perplexed...........we barely beat an also-ran team like Minnesota at home and Ross jumps the gun and announces Philbin and the coaching staff are returning????? This after we get pounded by the Ravens and Pats. He must really like Philbin or just doesn't want to admit he was wrong. I guess he's motivated by what he sees from Tanny and the offense and feels the D just needs a few more pieces.

Atleast on paper, our schedule looks easier next year.

Home
Buffalo, New England, Houston, Indianapolis, Dallas, NY Giants, AFC North*, (London) NY Jets

Away
Buffalo, New England, NY Jets, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Washington, AFC West*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
I can understand not changing coaches. Especially if Ross knows he has no chance at Harbaugh. The positives of this move are another year of stability even if that has been mediocre at best. If they win next week they will have improved by 1 win per season. And they have beaten the Patriots and Chargers and gone toe to toe with Denver, Green Bay, Detroit, Bills and Ravens. It also means Lazor is most likely going to return. I am seeing some younger players on offense begin to thrive and contribute. Simms, James, Lamar Miller, Damien Williams, Landry and of course Tannehill.

I'm with you. Philbin had a tough year with a lot of injuries. The problem with changing coaches is guys like Lazor and maybe even Hickey would be gone. The problem with keeping Philbin is Coyle is probably staying too. I've never understood the DC who takes the slow poison every game. It gives him good overall stats but when the game is on the line, you can bet on the opposing offense. The best of both worlds would be getting rid of Coyle and Sturgis... two people who have made this year worse.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:36 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

If Coyle is back and running the same defensive nightmare that we saw this year, Dallas is going to carve us up on the ground, Indy will run effective screens to Bradshaw all day, and Sproles/McCoy will have career running days. Foster and Blue will tag team us as well.

The Pats are the Pats and will continue to be good, Buffalo is good again, and well the Jets are going to be terribad.

Washington sucks, the Giants have a subpar run game but if nobody covers Beckham Jr it doesn't matter, Tennesee and Jacksonville blow but wouldn't surprise me if we are 1 of the 3 teams they play well against next year and beat

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]