Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:16 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
It is pretty clear now Philbin needs to continue upgrading his coaching staff with a better defensive coordinator. But my guess is the coach is going to stand behind defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle.

This even if as the facts say Coyle's defense has regressed every season he's been the DC in Miami.

Consider that Sunday's 37-35 victory was the fourth time this season the Dolphins have allowed 30 points or more. The Patriots scored 41 last week. The Broncos scored 39. The Chiefs scored 34 points.

And now the Dolphins have allowed 336 points with one game left to play. So with one game to play the defense has already allowed more points than it did last year. The problem is last year the defense allowed more points than the year before. And the year before it allowed more points than the year before.

So the defense has allowed more points than the previous year each year Coyle has been in charge. That is, by any standard, is heading in the wrong direction with the most important statistic of all -- points.

Fact is the Dolphins this year allowed their most points since 2009 -- the year then defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni was fired when his unit gave up 390 points.

The Dolphins have given up the third most points of any AFC East team, which doesn't sound terrible until you realize there's only four teams in the division. They've yielded the most rushing TDs (12) in the division as well.

And overall the Dolphins have the No. 18 scoring defense in the NFL.

The bar graph of Miami's ranking in this category? Headed in the wrong direction.

The Dolphins were sixth in scoring defense in 2011 under Mike Nolan as the DC. They were seventh in scoring defense in Coyle's first year in 2012. They were eighth in scoring defense last season. And, again, 18th this year.

The statistics suggest what was once a playoff-caliber defense needs mending now. The anecdotal information might go further. It says the Miami defense is broken.

Consider:

Even in games they didn't yield over 30 points, the Miami defense has given up fourth-quarter scores that led to losses against Detroit, Denver, and Baltimore. This unit also often gives up scores on opponent drives following scores by the Miami offense -- as happened multiple times on Sunday.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Get ready for another season of Coyle.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This drives me crazy about Coyle.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:11 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I would like Coyle to go

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:52 am 
2017 Survial Champion
2017 Survial Champion

phildum won't fire coyle unless forced to by the front office,,,,the question is will ross/hickey have the cojones too force his hand two years in a row????

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:26 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Just how everyone is already warming up to the fact that Philbin is staying , the same will hold true for Coyle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:15 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

FINesse wrote:
Just how everyone is already warming up to the fact that Philbin is staying , the same will hold true for Coyle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:22 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Palm Beach Posy is reporting that every assistant will be back next year, including Coyle. And if you fire him, who are you going to get to run the defense? No self respective assistant would come and work under a lame duck coach.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:34 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

so you are saying people won't move up to the DC position and lots more money?? I think you would have lots of people wanting DC and $$$ on their resume.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:51 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

dolphin25 wrote:
so you are saying people won't move up to the DC position and lots more money?? I think you would have lots of people wanting DC and $$$ on their resume.

No one will work for only one year under that cloud of uncertainty. It's not just about money. It's about job security. No one will take that job knowing the players are going half effort because they won't play for a lame duck coach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:19 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:

He had the top ranked defense midway through the season, few guys got banged up and we declined. He will have them back at top form next season.
Once he clears out the wreckage of Ireland with those pricey LB's we will be fine. Top 5 defense, top 10 offense. Brady is in the decline, the East is ours...

:yay:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:39 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

By this report from NFL.com, it doesn't sound like any decision has been made on the Coordinators............

"Philbin declined to address the futures of offensive coordinator Bill Lazor and defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle."............."Again, that's a better question for Steve Ross," he said. "I'm not going to address anybody else's future. Steve is the owner."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000448190/article/dolphins-gm-to-return-coordinators-future-uncertain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:55 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

shularino wrote:
."Again, that's a better question for Steve Ross," he said. "I'm not going to address anybody else's future. Steve is the owner."

I cant help but to think of that scene in waterboy where Coach Klein goes and hides because he is soo scared of the other coach.... Thats Philbin to me.. Ross's yes man, has been since day one.. Whatever Stephen wants, he gets....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Coyle does return, you hope Hickey will get him some additional pieces. If Phillip Wheeler is back, I would be STUNNED. Dion Jordan gave us a sample of what he could be at OLB.

Miami needs LB's, and I think Jordan Tripp will be given every opportunity to be a contributor in 2015. I think the Dolphins will draft a LB and sign a FA LB as well. That unit has to be upgraded.

Jimmy Wilson is not the answer at ANY of the safety spots. Miami has to sign a safety or draft a safety. Louis Delmas could possibly be an option on a very team friendly deal, but he will be coming off a torn ACL.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Maybe I'm getting my hopes up, but reading this made me feel optimistic.

One more thing: The only way Philbin not giving Coyle a public endorsement now makes any sense is if Philbin is considering a change.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:08 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

how is Philbin a lame duck?!?

He just got a vote of confidence for next season.... HOURS AGO.

I would assume some form of extension is going to be in the works... and will be buried into the Friday chatwaves of the offseason void.

I would anticipate Philbin and Hickey getting matching extensions either before or after the draft.

Philbin isnt a lame duck... Theres 9 months before the next season begins.... I doubt he goes into the season without an extension

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:03 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

SkyHigh314 wrote:
how is Philbin a lame duck?!?

He just got a vote of confidence for next season.... HOURS AGO.

I would assume some form of extension is going to be in the works... and will be buried into the Friday chatwaves of the offseason void.

I would anticipate Philbin and Hickey getting matching extensions either before or after the draft.

Philbin isnt a lame duck... Theres 9 months before the next season begins.... I doubt he goes into the season without an extension

Until that extension is agreed upon and signed, he's a lame duck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:14 am 

Looking at Ross' track record that is hardly a vote of confidence. A vote of confidence is an extension but getting back to Ross' track record & looking at Sparano its clear Philbin will still need to win next season.
Tommy makes some good points on his lame duck theory. Coaches think long term or at least 2-3 year term. Dolphins dont win next season , new regime comes in and cleans house. Them what is that one & done coach to do?
However , this team WILL win next season so it might be a justified gamble.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]