View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 The Irrelevant and the Relevant 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post The Irrelevant and the Relevant
Every time a player from an NFL team is released, I hear an uproar that the Dolphins should bring the guy in.
Players like Henderson, Ken Hamlin, Torry Holt, Adalius Thomas, and even softy "Barbie" Carpenter lmao... all irrelevant.

Then there is... Darren Sharper the only relevant free agent out there the Dolphins need to pursue! Watch what I tell you guys, the Dolphins will sign this man. Not only will he be signed but he will be the next best off-season move after acquiring Brandon Marshall. Sharper is extremely experienced and will also help develop our very young secondary. He would be a perfect leader along with Dansby for our defense. I still cannot believe that the Saints have not locked him up already! I know he is one year older, but ARE YOU SERIOUS? This man is one of the main reasons the Saints went to the Super Bowl and turned that defense around.

Quote:
On October 4, 2009, Sharper returned an interception 99 yards for a touchdown, the longest in Saints history. It was also his second 95+ yard interception return for a touchdown for the season. On October 25, Sharper returned his third interception for a touchdown on the season, a team record. At the end of Week 8, on Monday Night Football, Sharper intercepted a pass from Atlanta's Matt Ryan to help keep the Saints' perfect record. It was his seventh interception of the season. On November 30, once again on Monday Night Football, Sharper intercepted a desperation pass from New England's Tom Brady and returned it 35 yards, which would have left him 4 yards short of the NFL record for interception return yards in a season, set by Baltimore's Ed Reed in 2004, but the interception was called back due to a penalty.

Sharper then broke that record in a December 27 game against Tampa Bay, intercepting Josh Freeman's pass and returning it 21 yards. This gave him 9 interceptions on the year and 376 return yards (including 3 interceptions returned for touchdowns). It was the 63rd interception of Sharper's NFL career, tying him for sixth on the all-time list. The following week, Sharper was selected for his 5th Pro Bowl. His 376 interception return yards broke the NFL single season record of 358 previously held by Ed Reed.

Sharper also shares an NFL record with Deion Sanders for most games with 50+ interception return yards (9) and owns the NFL record for most games with 75+ interception return yards (6).

Miami DO NOT waste any more time and please sign this man!

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:49 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: The Irrelevant and the Relevant
The Saints haven't locked him up because he is coming off of a knee surgery and he wants to get a 3 year contract with big dollars since he knows that this will be his last stop. The Saints have offered him a little more than what he made last year and that offer is still on the table. From what I hear around here (I live in Saints country) they won't get into a bidding war for him. Also, I think their offer is only for 1 year.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Yea I know why they have not locked him up already, but give the man what he wants!...
I sure hope Miami does. There has been worst investments in the NFL. I would really HATE to see the Jets jump on the opportunity and sign him.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:32 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I agree with what was posted in another thread about the Saints waiting to match the best offer he receives. I think we are holding out for June 1st to see what it will take to get Atogwe in here, and if that doesn't pan out I believe we'll move forward with what we've got.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:58 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

We haven't signed any old players up until now. I don't see it starting now.

This would be the one exception I would hope they make though. Culver/Clemons are nothing special

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:17 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Why sign him and note bring back JT? I don't think it will happen,he is older and coming off of a knee prob. Just don't see it.......but that's why I'm sitting here writing this and not in the FO lol

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Jets can't get him actually... According to ESPN's John Clayton... :jests:

Quote:
Q: John, did the Jets' signing of Jason Taylor take away a potential suitor for Darren Sharper since they are bound by the final eight rule and have now filled their only vacant UFA exception?

Ry in New Orleans

A: That is correct. The Jets would have to lose another unrestricted free agent to bring in a Mark Brunell or a Sharper. The Jets have done more than any of the other final four teams by making trades for cornerback Antonio Cromartie and WR Santonio Holmes. They added safety Brodney Pool, RB LaDainian Tomlinson and Taylor. Some might argue the Jets did too much. It's not certain they are better at running back with Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight and Tomlinson than they were with Thomas Jones, Leon Washington and Greene. Are they better at guard with Vladimir Ducasse replacing Alan Faneca? They made major steps forward, but I think they took a step or two backward in the process.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5136379

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

That is music to my ears... :)

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:16 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

TheCarver13 wrote:
That is music to my ears... :)

this. We shall see, though.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:19 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I would be very cautious with Sharper as he is bound to hit the wall at any time & really decline.

The Jets really dont need Sharper , how many guys defending the pass can you have?

They didnt bring back JT because clearly the FO has an agenda with him & he with them , no matter who is at fault its just the facts.

I do agree with the original post that whenever a guy becomes available we always see a thread about bringing him in. Those threds are out of hand.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:39 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
Darren Sharper left his visit with the Jaguars on Thursday without a contract, according to a league source, but the two sides remain in dialogue following a productive discussion.

The Pro Bowl safety made his first visit to Jacksonville on Wednesday, spending the night there and departing for the airport Thursday afternoon. The Saints remain interested in re-signing Sharper and have been in contact with his agent throughout the offseason.

Miami and Washington could also be teams to monitor, as both have a need at free safety.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817dcb5c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I know a lot of people are concerned with Sharper's age and durability but he has never missed more than 3 games in an enitre season. That says a lot for a 14 year veteran.

Games Active:
1997 GNB 14
1998 GNB 16
1999 GNB 16
2000 GNB 16
2001 GNB 16
2002 GNB 13
2003 GNB 15
2004 GNB 15
2005 MIN 14
2006 MIN 16
2007 MIN 16
2008 MIN 16
2009 NOR 14
(People lie... numbers don't!)

Very interesting article on Sharper for those that have concerns:
Quote:
"One thing I've always liked about Darren, he has this unique ability, like Rod Woodson and like Ed Reed and those guys, they have an intuition of where the ball is going to be probably 90 or 95 percent of the time. And they have a really good sense of understanding how to play defense.

"Some people play the game of defense, and they're just playing it. Some people understand all the reasons for what everybody is doing out there. Darren really understands it, and that's what makes him unique. He understands the defense and the offense. A lot of people don't have that mindset."

Sharper, 33, said the one thing he thinks he has most in common with those all-time greats is his longevity.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/11/darren_sharpers_career_numbers.html

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He's the only "old" guy I'd want to bring in, including A. Thomas.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:41 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Tired of hearing that Sharper is too old.

Rod Woodson was old and still beasting late in his career. In the Raiders 2002 Super Bowl season, 37-year old Woodson led the NFL in interceptions (8).

Brett Favre is 40 years old and almost led his team to a Super Bowl last season.

Bernard Hopkins at age 45 has been taking hits as a boxer his whole life and is the light heavyweight champion of the world.

Its all on how well you take care of your body. Perfect example is Ricky Williams. The hardest working player on the Phins as said by many of the Miami Dolphins staff members. He eats well and is healthy as can be.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:28 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

TheCarver13 wrote:
Tired of hearing that Sharper is too old.

Rod Woodson was old and still beasting late in his career. In the Raiders 2002 Super Bowl season, 37-year old Woodson led the NFL in interceptions (8).

Brett Favre is 40 years old and almost led his team to a Super Bowl last season.

Bernard Hopkins at age 45 has been taking hits as a boxer his whole life and is the light heavyweight champion of the world.

Its all on how well you take care of your body. Perfect example is Ricky Williams. The hardest working player on the Phins as said by many of the Miami Dolphins staff members. He eats well and is healthy as can be.

Valid point, but combine his age with his recent surgery and its a gamble that not a lot of people would want to bet on.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:49 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
Valid point, but combine his age with his recent surgery and its a gamble that not a lot of people would want to bet on.

If its a gamble then I'm ALL in.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:16 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I don't think he is to old,just not for our team right now. It looks as if the FO is looking to have the young players move in to the starting roles now. While Sharper would be a value pick up,think the FO feels that why slow the learning curve of our young players,the best teacher is experiness...<-- prob spelled that wrong ,I've been drinking a little before I logged on lol

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]