All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:21 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just curious what people are reading or coming across on the rumor wire. Maybe I'm wrong but in years past I seem to remember more information coming out during Combine Week.

So far the only names I've heard mentioned with Miami are Frank Gore and Michael Crabtree...who ironically are now negotiating with the 49ers (thank you Tony for the update).

We've heard about the Tannehill and Pouncey extensions. I've also read that Odrick's people have been told Miami wants to re-sign him.

Please pass along anything you hear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not really a rumor. Davon House is a nice, big young CB with Green Bay, and I was hoping the Dolphins would show interest in him. He has not bee a starter for the Packers, but he plays a lot in their nickel and dime package and wants to be a starter.

Just read that Green Bay wants to try to keep him and that means they probably will let Tramon Williams walk.

House is 26 years old. Would love to add him and Antrel Rolle to the secondary.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:53 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Jason Cole reporting the 49ers are going to let Michael Crabtree walk.

I'm not advocating it, but again I keep reading rumors of Miami's interest in him...and there have been VERY FEW rumors discussed regarding Miami.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Jason Cole reporting the 49ers are going to let Michael Crabtree walk.

I'm not advocating it, but again I keep reading rumors of Miami's interest in him...and there have been VERY FEW rumors discussed regarding Miami.

I don't believe he would be a fit for the offense. IIRC, he has one of the worst YAC ability in the game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Crabtree does not do a lot for me. Hope that is a rumor that is not true.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:02 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:

I agree, Crabtree isn't really much of an upgrade over Hartline, decent WR but will be too expensive for what you get.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finster wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I agree, Crabtree isn't really much of an upgrade over Hartline, decent WR but will be too expensive for what you get.

I don't think Miami would overpay for him. If they could get him on a Hakeem Nicks/Colts type deal it might work. I think that is why his name comes up and not a Jeremy Maclin or Torrey Smith.

Speaking of Hartline, I wonder if Hickey sticks to his "draft and develop" motto by keeping Hartline on a restructured contract instead of shopping for a WR.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:26 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

We already have our own Crabtree in Landry. Just go get the large red zone receiver.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:09 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:
We already have our own Crabtree in Landry. Just go get the large red zone receiver.

Which could come in the form of a TE and power back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:44 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

New rumor is that Buffalo is sending signals they will make a play for Charles Clay.

To be honest, if Rex Ryan could poach Clay and Matt Moore then Buffalo would be a very competitive team next year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
New rumor is that Buffalo is sending signals they will make a play for Charles Clay.

To be honest, if Rex Ryan could poach Clay and Matt Moore then Buffalo would be a very competitive team next year.

It definitely takes that huge extra incentive to take the leap from sun soaked Miami, to frigid, dreary @$$ Buffalo. I'm not going to take it all too serious, he will be back with the team IMO. I forget who it was, but a player who was signed as a FA by Buffalo a few years back said there was nothing but Dave n Buster's and Chuck E Cheese to do with your free time in Buffalo. Classic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

PBP's Abramson refuted the rumor and said Miami is likely to re-sign Clay via an inside source. Looking at 4 million per year as a starting point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
PBP's Abramson refuted the rumor and said Miami is likely to re-sign Clay via an inside source. Looking at 4 million per year as a starting point.

Get it DONE.......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:19 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Free agent TE Charles Clay is expected to net $6 million annually.
The Miami Herald's Adam Beasley says that figure would put Clay in "Dennis Pitta/Greg Olsen territory." Though he's unlikely to eclipse Olsen's elite receiving totals, Clay offers much more in the way of versatility and is younger than both players. There should be a robust market for 26-year-old Clay, though ultimately we expect him to stay with Miami.
Source: Adam Beasley on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:21 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Beat me to it Swerve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:48 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
According to the Palm Beach Post, there's a "growing belief" free agent DT Jared Odrick will test the open market.
The Dolphins are trying to re-sign Odrick, quite possibly their No. 1 priority in free agency. But as a scheme-versatile 27-year-old that can get after the quarterback from the interior, there's going to be plenty of interest come March. Odrick's market will get even hotter if interior linemen like Ndamukong Suh and Terrance Knighton re-sign with their respective clubs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:33 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Let's not over pay for players anymore....please.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:
Let's not over pay for players anymore....please.

I don't mind overpaying a bit for players you already know. Clay has good chemistry with his QB and has proven to be a good weapon. He has caught the ball in the end zone, unlike other receivers on the team.

The questions are who becomes his replacement (its not Sims) and how much will said player cost? Its probably not Gaitor Hoskins or Gerrell Robinson. Do you want overpay Jermain Gresham or Jordan Cameron?

Lets not discount what Clay did when healthy, AND, there were chances for him to have a better 2012 season but Tannehill was taking his rookie lumps (there were certainly a few missed throws I remember). This isn't giving Hartline or Misi big cash for mediocre service. I don't think anyone is complaining about locking up Reshad Jones or Mike Pouncey. Clay could be on that fringe Pro Bowl level.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:49 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm hear ya Jam, but his injury history scares me at 6 mil a year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:02 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:
I'm hear ya Jam, but his injury history scares me at 6 mil a year.

Did he have previous injury problems? I'm only aware of a bum knee from last year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:37 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Looking at overthecap.com and they currently have Miami with $4,049,458 in cap space with a $143,000,000 salary cap.

Is this accurate?

And WOW, the Saints are $21+ million over. Talk about shedding some players in the near future. The Pats are also almost $2.5 million over at the moment.

If Miami already has that cushion then I'm not sure they have to go nuts cutting salaries. Ellerbe, Wheeler, Gibson and Finnegan are sort of givens at this point since their cheaper replacements are already on the team. If Ellerbe and Wheeler are post June 1 cuts then those four guys free up around 18 million.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

So Miami is showcasing its new stadium renovations and the vision of the future for the team.

Here are some beat writer remarks (paraphrasing):

Promo video highlights Tannehill (4,000 yds) Miller (1,000 yds), Landry (exciting rookie) and that they have 3 Pro Bowlers (Wake, Pouncey, Grimes)

Its clear Miami see Tannehill as the face of the franchise both on and off the field, and he's a big part of their future

Mike Wallace has been noticeably absent from all promo stuff

As the writers said, take from this what you want. I think it fits into the rumors conversation regarding free agency or potential trades with certain guys on the team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:04 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Our buddy Ian Wharton has been tweeting about a conversation he had with someone who provided some inside info on Miami's plans. His article is coming out soon and I'll share the link when its up. Here is basically what he tweeted:

Odrick wants 8 million per year and might be pricing himself out of Miami. They believe FA will provide good value at a cheaper price

Clay is very likely to re-sign (no dollar amount given)

Miami is offering Wallace a restructure that they think will rival what he can get on the open market. Up to him if he wants to stay with the team

Although Starks played hurt he's a goner. Replacing him is top FA priority

Louis Delmas a strong candidate to come back. They realized how important he was after injury

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:08 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

In a nutshell it sounds like Miami could be more active than we think in FA. I was starting to think they'd just cut bait with big contracts and let the young guys play but perhaps they'll spend a bit.

An important point from Wharton was that Miami's front office is very aware that they have problems on their hands. Sounds like they recognize bad money and misdiagnosed talent levels need to seriously be addressed. They also realize the cap ramifications and can't just throw money at things ala Ireland.

I keep reading "its a fluid situation" so a lot can change in two weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Ok, one last tidbit. Remember last year when Starks wanted a big deal, priced himself out of Miami only to come back and take a serious humble pie deal? Odrick best be careful because he's not elite and this draft has some very good options in the first 3 rounds with younger, cheaper versions of him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:21 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Then we'll lose odrick. He has more value than you think. He's one of the few true 5 techniques that odd front teams covet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:46 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

swerve13 wrote:
Then we'll lose odrick. He has more value than you think. He's one of the few true 5 techniques that odd front teams covet.

Worth 8 million per year? Forget statistics, does he create that much disruption on a weekly basis to be paid elite money?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:17 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

He's miscast on our defense. He should be playing defensive end for a team like KC or SF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:19 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports the Dolphins are "expected to pursue" free agent ILB David Harris.
Harris would play middle linebacker for the Dolphins. Though he just turned 31, Harris is expected to have a robust market, with the Dolphins joining the Bills, Falcons, Bears, and Jets as teams interested in him. New Dolphins president Mike Tannenbaum drafted Harris in New York in 2007. If he were to sign with Miami, MLB Koa Misi would kick back outside to strong-side linebacker. Free agent MLB Mason Foster is viewed as a fallback plan for the Dolphins if they can't sign Harris.
Related: Dolphins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:20 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports the Dolphins are "expected to pursue" free agent ILB David Harris.
Harris would play middle linebacker for the Dolphins. Though he just turned 31, Harris is expected to have a robust market, with the Dolphins joining the Bills, Falcons, Bears, and Jets as teams interested in him. New Dolphins president Mike Tannenbaum drafted Harris in New York in 2007. If he were to sign with Miami, MLB Koa Misi would kick back outside to strong-side linebacker. Free agent MLB Mason Foster is viewed as a fallback plan for the Dolphins if they can't sign Harris.
Related: Dolphins

Yes! So glad to hear they are doing diligence

No offense to anyone here that likes Misi but I just don't think he has it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Worth 8 million per year? Forget statistics, does he create that much disruption on a weekly basis to be paid elite money?

I like Jared and think he is a solid player. I would have been fine with 6 mill/per year. Not sure on 8 mill/per year. Seems to be close to Pro Bowl money, and he has not been that.

Louis Delmas certainly played well for Miami before he got hurt. With that said, they can probably sign Louis to a team friendly deal.

If Miami is going to be active in free agency, then most of the guys we thought would be gone will be gone.

This is going to be a very interesting off season.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:39 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The secondary was bad without delmas but theyre going to be without him at some point because he cants tay healthy. I would not resign him

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Like David Harris as a player, rock solid. You know Rex is going to want him to come with him to Buffalo.

Hopefully nicer weather and no state taxes will be a plus for Miami along with the man who drafted him being in Miami. Mike Tannenbaum.

Not happy at the thought of Jimmy Wilson being bought back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:07 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Miami is offering Wallace a restructure that they think will rival what he can get on the open market. Up to him if he wants to stay with the team

I was really hoping they would take this into serious consideration. His salary is a disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:13 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Yeah phinsfansc, the defensive backfield is pretty bad. I think its an area where miami will be forced to sign at least ome free agent at corner and safety.
Getting rid of smith, davis, clemons and then missing on davis, taylor and wilson has really hurt that unit. We got it right with jones and grimes but other than that? Woof haha. Same with oline and linebackers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:14 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I never really understood restructuring. Why give that contract when you know you wont pay it? Weird stuff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:44 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Manhattan wrote:
Yeah phinsfansc, the defensive backfield is pretty bad. I think its an area where miami will be forced to sign at least ome free agent at corner and safety.
Getting rid of smith, davis, clemons and then missing on davis, taylor and wilson has really hurt that unit. We got it right with jones and grimes but other than that? Woof haha. Same with oline and linebackers

Actually, the secondary was pretty good when all the guys where healthy. That said, Finnegan is gone or needs to be gone. Delmas is coming off a torn ACL and I thought Jimmy Wilson really struggled last year.

A kid I like in fee agency is Davon House of Green Bay. Big CB that is only 26 years old, he played in a lot of the nickel and dime packages for Green Bay. He wants to start now. Would also LOVE to bring Antrel Rolle home as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:34 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Manhattan wrote:
I never really understood restructuring. Why give that contract when you know you wont pay it? Weird stuff

Some of its done for cap purpose of the bonus money and fluff so it can be reported how big the contract is. Its like Hartline's. It was I think a 5 yr deal, but most can tell its a 2-3 yr deal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:01 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

With the Wallace situation I honestly think Miami is positioning themselves to cut him and let him take the blame for cap space reasons. It is not going to shock me if Hartline restructures and sort of assumes the Wallace role. Should that be the case we better hope Miami has an early WR target in the draft.

I'm not sure how I feel about David Harris or Mason Foster unless its a 2 year deal (which they can get out of next year).

If Misi moves back outside, Jenkins locked in and McCain/Tripp being Hickey guys you have to wonder about Jordan's status. There were rumors last year of him being traded. I'd like to see him at OLB first, but they have a surplus there and other needs to fill.

If Wilson comes back just keep him covering the slot. Don't have him all over the place. Give him a role and let him master it. Let Michael Thomas or Walt Aikens compete with Delmas (if he is brought back) for the FS spot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:22 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Manhattan wrote:

Ireland move, not surprised Hickey is trying to kill all loose ends from his tenure here. Even if it's just a restructure. Wallace won't do it.

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next