All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:48 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Wallace will restructure... the cards are not in his favor. He is not going to be making Calvin Johnson money on any other team if he gets cut...... and he benched himself against a rival a la Santonio Holmes-esque... and where did he go?

No chance in hell does Wallace get what he's paid now and still have a job.... He'd be better off taking $7-8 million a season with incentives that can inflate him to $10 million since that seems to be the diva bragging point.

Odrick is gonna find a dry market at $8 million a season. Thats astronomical for a guy who "just started" living up to his first round draft pedigree. He was a part time player for the first 2 or three seasons... Honestly, I cant remember him being more than a rotational player until this season without Soliai. The DL was always a strength... and he was another cog in the arsenal... not a stand out. I Like Odrick, I think he was the only "big boy" on the defense that has any character.. hes funny, he's carefree, and he loves football.... at the one game i attended this season, he was the life of the warm-ups. I still dont see him getting $8 million a year... I see him in the $5-6 million range, and that is fair. He's not a top 10 DT... hes maybe top 20.

I would agree with the trainwreck assessment of the defensive backfield. Trading Vontae Davis was the first sign of ineptitude by Philbin. We blindly believed that trading Vontae was a rash and bold move that would be from our commander in chief that knows all. Surprisingly, Vontae is living up to a Pro Bowl pedigree, and would be the perfect physical pairing with Grimes..... Doh! Steve Smith probably got more money than he deserved in KC... but he is more than solid as a starting CB. Factoring what we have had in the #2... probably woulda have been smart to splurge on paying Smith..... Taylor, and Davis #2 both are looking less like NFL ready CBs... 3 years is a bit long to develop 2nd and 3rd round picks. This team NEEDS to hit on young defensive backs... not sure why we can not find youth for the secondary. Jones has been great... but CB's are not like RB's.... can't trade them away to make a point... they are hard to replace.

As far as rumors are concerned... I heard an interesting one on the radio this morning. The Giants may be willing to move Victor Cruz.... Not sure how credible that rumor is, but when it comes down to sports gossip here on AM radio.... if you float the idea of a trade, it usually means that the team wants out. They will continue to talk about trading A-Rod, but there are no buyers there.... but any trade in this area usually needs to be talked about for 3 months before pulling a trigger.. and I heard Cruz being offered up today...... Cruz to replace Wallace if Wallace doesnt restructure sounds like it might be worth the investment..... if he could be had cheap due to injury

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:36 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Wallace will restructure... the cards are not in his favor. He is not going to be making Calvin Johnson money on any other team if he gets cut...... and he benched himself against a rival a la Santonio Holmes-esque... and where did he go?

No chance in hell does Wallace get what he's paid now and still have a job.... He'd be better off taking $7-8 million a season with incentives that can inflate him to $10 million since that seems to be the diva bragging point.

Wallace is only guaranteed 3 million this year via a bonus on March 15. Miami can cut him on August 31 and screw him over if they so choose.

If he restructures he's getting paid the same amount he would on the open market, in the range you pointed out, but is stuck in a place he does not want to be.

If he hits the open market he'll get 10 million+ in guaranteed money from a team of his choice.

Miami does not need to restructure him to fix their other holes on offense. That can be done by cutting plenty of other contracts. I still believe they made this request to give themselves an exit without looking like the bad guy.

I'm pretty convinced he's gone and Miami will aggressively pursue a WR in the draft. I also think this opens the door for Hartline to stay another year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:

Wallace is only guaranteed 3 million this year via a bonus on March 15. Miami can cut him on August 31 and screw him over if they so choose.

If he restructures he's getting paid the same amount he would on the open market, in the range you pointed out, but is stuck in a place he does not want to be.

If he hits the open market he'll get 10 million+ in guaranteed money from a team of his choice.

Miami does not need to restructure him to fix their other holes on offense. That can be done by cutting plenty of other contracts. I still believe they made this request to give themselves an exit without looking like the bad guy.

I'm pretty convinced he's gone and Miami will aggressively pursue a WR in the draft. I also think this opens the door for Hartline to stay another year.

The problem with BH Jammer, he's counts 7.3 mil against the cap, talk about over paid, 2.5 is around what he's worth, he needs to take a pay cut or a pink slip.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:01 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finster wrote:
The problem with BH Jammer, he's counts 7.3 mil against the cap, talk about over paid, 2.5 is around what he's worth, he needs to take a pay cut or a pink slip.

Completely agree. He's released if he doesn't take a pay cut. I'm not sure what kind of market he has out there and he might put up better numbers if he stays in Miami. I think the logic of Wallace needing a restructure to survive actually applies to Hartline. As I said it opens the door, doesn't mean it is going to happen. Lets not forget that Hazel is a cheaper, similar player to Hartline.

If you forced me to make a prediction today I'd say Wallace, Hartline and Gibson are gone. Some of that money is used to lock up Clay, a cheap vet is brought in and Miami aggressively pursues either Devante Parker or Jaelen Strong in the first round. Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if Tannenbaum had Miami moving up to get Parker given the possible need and the interest Miami has already shown. But that is a post March 10th conversation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:32 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Latest rumor is that if Jeremy Maclin hits FA Miami will be a strong bidder for his services.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:58 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Maclin would be a nice free agent move, but what cost? Being he plays in Philly, you would think he would be a good fit for Lazor's scheme.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:04 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Maclin is Wallace is Maclin is Wallace.

Doesn't make sense, Maclin will be cashing in after a career season, do we want to go through this whole thing again? lol.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:11 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finster wrote:
Maclin is Wallace is Maclin is Wallace.

Doesn't make sense, Maclin will be cashing in after a career season, do we want to go through this whole thing again? lol.

I've only seen highlights. I've always been under the assumption Maclin is a more complete receiver but less of a speed threat.

And you're correct, does Miami really want to pony up another 5 year 50-60 million dollar deal?

This is why I thought a short term deal for Crabtree made the most sense based on the rumors I'm reading about.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:54 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Latest rumor is that if Jeremy Maclin hits FA Miami will be a strong bidder for his services.

Its what Miami needs. Another one yr wonder. Not knocking Maclin's ability but he has always been a middle of the road Wr until last yr, so I'm not one to go all in on one yr wonders. Stay away from high priced FA. Sign the second tier guys that complement stars and draft better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:10 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

Its what Miami needs. Another one yr wonder. Not knocking Maclin's ability but he has always been a middle of the road Wr until last yr, so I'm not one to go all in on one yr wonders. Stay away from high priced FA. Sign the second tier guys that complement stars and draft better.

Totally agree with this D4me.
The second tier guys are the ones who you dont over pay for , fill the holes at least for the short term & come in with a chip on their shoulder wanting to prove that they deserved that first tier contract.
We have been so burned by the big names in free agency.
When we signed Wallace the word overpaid really was not used (of course), Instead we said we paid him what the market demanded , plus he took less to play here than in Minnesota (or so we thought).
Anyway , 2 years later it is pretty obvious we overpaid & are now dealing with it.
And drafting better is totally the key. Hopefully Hickey puts on blinders when taking draft advice from Philbin & Tannenbaum who was a crazy hire to begin with.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:09 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

Totally agree with this D4me.
The second tier guys are the ones who you dont over pay for , fill the holes at least for the short term & come in with a chip on their shoulder wanting to prove that they deserved that first tier contract.
We have been so burned by the big names in free agency.
When we signed Wallace the word overpaid really was not used (of course), Instead we said we paid him what the market demanded , plus he took less to play here than in Minnesota (or so we thought).
Anyway , 2 years later it is pretty obvious we overpaid & are now dealing with it.
And drafting better is totally the key. Hopefully Hickey puts on blinders when taking draft advice from Philbin & Tannenbaum who was a crazy hire to begin with.

Cautionary tale,
beware how many and which second tier FAs you sign, and be careful not to have to rely on them too much, our Oline was peppered with second tier FAs last year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:33 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Finster wrote:
our Oline was peppered with second tier FAs last year.

Who you are referring to?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:46 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Finster wrote:
our Oline was peppered with second tier FAs last year.

Who you are referring to?

The second tier FAs were signed to play the Oline of course, who else would I be referring to, lol.

Don't tell me you don't know who they are, lol.

Colledge and Smith were signed to shore up the Oline, which didn't work to the FOs probable expectations, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:17 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Finster wrote:
The second tier FAs were signed to play the Oline of course, who else would I be referring to, lol.

Colledge and Smith were signed to shore up the Oline, which didn't work to the FOs probable expectations, lol.

Ok, we have a different opinion of 2nd tier. That is why I was not coming up with anyone. I did not consider them 2nd tier. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Finster wrote:

Ok, we have a different opinion of 2nd tier. That is why I was not coming up with anyone. I did not consider them 2nd tier. Thanks

OK, i'll bite, exactly what tier do you think they fall under?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:17 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Finster wrote:

Nothing to bite on. Just considered Smith more of a 3rd/4th tier since he had pretty much been a backup his whole career. Colledge was a bottom feeder type at this point of his career. One & done.

2nd Tier to me is a player still in their prime, signed to a multi yr deal. While not the best at their position they are certainly capable of handling their position and team is planning on them sticking around several yrs.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:33 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Couple people now saying that Miami's DT plan is focused on stopping the run and not exactly what us fans expect in terms of target player. Also said Miami is making an offer to Odrick but fully expect him to move on because he's too expensive.

Another guy warned that Miami's free agency plan will probably disappoint a lot of fans because they won't make a splash. I actually consider that a good thing.

Just note that the info I'm throwing out there is just stuff I've read from guys who've been correct before in the rumors they've fed to people. Not necessarily giving my preferred guys. Personally, I wanted Miami to re-sign their own guys and get O. Franklin and D. Williams to shore up the lines. Neither of those guys have been mentioned in connection with Miami.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Finster wrote:

Nothing to bite on. Just considered Smith more of a 3rd/4th tier since he had pretty much been a backup his whole career. Colledge was a bottom feeder type at this point of his career. One & done.

2nd Tier to me is a player still in their prime, signed to a multi yr deal. While not the best at their position they are certainly capable of handling their position and team is planning on them sticking around several yrs.

That is a very personalized and kind of vague definition, I think that most of the rest of the NFL and it's fans only see 2 tiers.

Tier 1) A known player who is good to very good.

Tier 2) Relatively unknown player with NFL experience.

I don't recall ever hearing, in NFL circles, about any other tiers to FAs, but if they were added it would be something like this.

Tiers 3 and 4, are PS players and UDFAs with very little or no NFL experience.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:38 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Finster wrote:
That is a very personalized and kind of vague definition, I think that most of the rest of the NFL and it's fans only see 2 tiers.
Okay. Am I at fault for seeing it differently?

Finster wrote:
Tier 1) A known player who is good to very good.

Tier 2) Relatively unknown player with NFL experience.

I don't recall ever hearing, in NFL circles, about any other tiers to FAs, but if they were added it would be something like this.

Tiers 3 and 4, are PS players and UDFAs with very little or no NFL experience.

As I posted prior. We have a different opinion. Without being in the know I am not going to speculate on how the NFL rates players. Whether its by tiers or some other fashion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:52 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

2nd Tier to me is a player still in their prime, signed to a multi yr deal.

That sounds like a 1st tier player to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:24 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:
2nd Tier to me is a player still in their prime, signed to a multi yr deal.

That sounds like a 1st tier player to me.

Helps if you capture the whole comment.

"While not the best at their position they are certainly capable of handling their position and team is planning on them sticking around several yrs."

Tier 1 players to me are the Stars of their position. The high priced guys. The guys that kill the cap if you sign them as a FA.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm 

All this confirms its all about the draft.
This staff will get it done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:38 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

A must have in free agency for me is one of these guards. It's a guard market this year. That should be our most expensive move.
2nd, either a run stuffing defensive tackle or a polished linebacker (whichever we don't get can be drafted early)
3rd, a decent depth corner.

And that's about all I would spend on. Don't bring in a large group of free agents.
I'd rather add more rookies and undrafted rookies.

The only other player I would be interested in is Randall Cobb, but so many factors would be in play for that one to happen. Can we trade away Wallace? Would Green Bay allow him to hit the market?
Cobb with Landry and maybe a large receiver taken in round 3 would be a nice offense.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:42 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
The only other player I would be interested in is Randall Cobb, but so many factors would be in play for that one to happen. Can we trade away Wallace? Would Green Bay allow him to hit the market?
Cobb with Landry and maybe a large receiver taken in round 3 would be a nice offense.

I was just thinking the same thing. Could the Dolphins afford to sign Cobb & cut Wallace? & would it be worth it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:49 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Steve Zissou wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I was just thinking the same thing. Could the Dolphins afford to sign Cobb & cut Wallace? & would it be worth it?

Would be a dream scenario to me. Cobb can do so much more than Wallace. He's actually dangerous AFTER the catch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:57 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Funny this just came across the wire as we're speaking

Quote:
ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports "no deal is imminent" between the Packers and free agent Randall Cobb.
Re-signing Cobb and RT Bryan Bulaga are the Packers' top priorities, but there haven't been any developments in contract talks. Cobb is reportedly seeking $9 million annually. The Packers have $33.2M in salary-cap space to re-sign Cobb, but could move forward with Davante Adams and Jeff Janis behind Jordy Nelson.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:17 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
Funny this just came across the wire as we're speaking

Quote:
ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports "no deal is imminent" between the Packers and free agent Randall Cobb.
Re-signing Cobb and RT Bryan Bulaga are the Packers' top priorities, but there haven't been any developments in contract talks. Cobb is reportedly seeking $9 million annually. The Packers have $33.2M in salary-cap space to re-sign Cobb, but could move forward with Davante Adams and Jeff Janis behind Jordy Nelson.

NICE!

Lets hope Philbin is actually pulling some strings in the back ground. If I were Cobb though, I'd doubt I would consider leaving Rodgers for Miami

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:39 pm 

As far as the 'tiered free agent" discussion goes... NFL.com's Top 101 free agents breaks them down into some interesting Tiers..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-for-2015

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:07 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

FINesse wrote:
All this confirms its all about the draft.

Correct. Its possible they make one big signing if the guy they want hits the market but it will mostly be like last year when they grabbed bargain guys like Finnegan, Smith and Mitchell.

Sounds like a lot of the young guys will get their shot. Perhaps they learned a lesson last year when Jenkins was given his chance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:38 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

IamPZ wrote:
As far as the 'tiered free agent" discussion goes... NFL.com's Top 101 free agents breaks them down into some interesting Tiers..

Guess we know.

Tier 1: Difference-makers
Tier 2: Impact Starters
Tier 3: Starters with questions
Tier 4: Needs the right role

I was high on my tier 2. Sign more tier 3/4 guys.

Miami needs Wrs. Sign Denarius Moore. If Miami loses Clay. Sign Housler. Sign guys who have some physical gifts & are still young.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:05 am 

Does Philbin really have any strings to pull?? I mean he is despised here and if that thought of him is warranted I am sure the guys in Green Bay knew that all along.
Plus ,if he does not win this season ,most likely he is gone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:38 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Let Odrick walk bring in Suh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

This is exactly one of the moves I was wanting. A mid tier veteran corner.

Quote:
The Dolphins have "internally discussed" free agent CBs Brandon Flowers and Kareem Jackson.
Both Flowers and Jackson serve as outside corners in their base defense and can cover the slot in sub-packages. So it may be telling that these two types of corners are on the Dolphins' radar. Miami is expected to cut Cortland Finnegan soon, and will be a player on the free agent cornerback market.
Related: Dolphins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:28 pm 

I always thought flowers was really good in KC... love the low cost free agent approach.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:35 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I think I'd prefer Jackson.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:53 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Corey Peters appears to be the DT target.

Kareem Jackson and Brandon Flowers are the CB targets according to Barry Jackson.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:05 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

jammer wrote:
Corey Peters appears to be the DT target.

Kareem Jackson and Brandon Flowers are the CB targets according to Barry Jackson.

How has Peters been playing for ATL?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Peters was good in 2013 but had an Achilles tear so wasn't as effective this past year. He's only 26. Sounds like a 2015 version of the Earl Mitchell signing.

Thought I wrote this but can't find it so forgive me if this is a repeat: Dolphins are looking at Maclin, Crabtree, Eddie Royal and Cecil Shorts in FA but it sounds like Maclin is the only one they would be aggressive about.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:44 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I'd be happy with Shorts or Royal on the cheap to replace Gibson. Still need to find a beast in this draft though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:09 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

swerve13 wrote:
I'd be happy with Shorts or Royal on the cheap to replace Gibson. Still need to find a beast in this draft though.

Drafting a #1 seems to be the plan. Names I've read that they are focusing on are Parker, Strong, DGB, Devin Smith and Dorsett.

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next