All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:15 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... -potential

Todd McShay looks at Jaelen Strong's draft stock and says the Arizona State wide receiver is starting to remind him of a former South Carolina receiver.

If you watch at the one minute mark of this video, that's Marcus Peters he's up against, the most talented corner in this draft, an elite corner. And Strong just embarasses him.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:19 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
I don't know how this guy only measured 6'2" at the combine, he looks at east an inch taller than that and his arms are like vines. Love how he just attacks the ball in the air, the exact opposite of the way Wallace plays.

Jaelen makes scouts look silly at the combine:
http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... ick-022115


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:32 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
Quote:
Strong was a force against the teams from Los Angeles in back-to-back games. After hurting UCLA (12-146), he came up with a huge game to push Arizona State to a last-second victory over USC. Strong got that latter game started with a short touchdown catch and followed it up by getting open on a post route for a 77-yard touchdown. On the final play of the game, Strong did a great job of tracking a Hail Mary pass and cutting in front of the defenders to haul in the 46-yard touchdown as time expired on USC. He hauled in 10 receptions for 202 yards with three touchdowns.

Strong held his own going against Washington cornerback Marcus Peters. He beat Peters for a 16-yard touchdown on a slant and a 23-yard reception along the sideline. Peters had his share of wins as well. Strong finished with three receptions for 55 yards against one of the top talents at corner for the 2015 NFL Draft. A week earlier versus Stanford, he had another quality outing with eight receptions for 75 yards and a touchdown.

Strong has the potential to be a play-maker in the NFL. He is a phenomenal red-zone receiver who can go up and make catches over defensive backs. The junior has good body control to work the sideline and does a great job on the back-shoulder throws that have are en vogue in the pros. Strong has good size and run-after-the-catch ability to work the short to intermediate part of the field on slants, digs and crosses; the staple routes of a West Coast offense. Strong has quickness to get downfield, but he isn't a burner and not a true deep-threat receiver.

For the 2015 NFL Draft, Strong looks like a first-round pick who could go as high as the teens. If he falls out of the first round, he shouldn't last long on the second day of the 2015 NFL Draft.


Quote:
Player Comparison: Kenny Britt. Strong's game is similar to how Britt's was when Britt was playing well early in his career. They are nearly identical in size, and Britt (6-3, 220) was a dangerous run-after-the-catch receiver when healthy. Britt also showed quickness to make plays and move the chains. If Strong pans out in the NFL, he could be a receiver like Britt.

NFL Matches: Minnesota Vikings, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks

There are a lot of teams that could target a wide receiver in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft. The Vikings could use a wide out for Teddy Bridgewater. Greg Jennings is aging, while Cordarrelle Patterson had a down season.

The 49ers could use more young receiving talent given the age of Anquan Boldin and the hazy future of Michael Crabtree in San Francisco. Similarly, the Texans need a future No. 1 receiver to replace Andre Johnson.

The Chiefs need to give Alex Smith more receiving weapons to work with. Their top producer in 2014 was tight end Travis Kelce and running back Jamaal Charles came in third. Kansas City badly needs a receiver to go on the other side from Dwayne Bowe.

The Dolphins could move on from Mike Wallace, and Strong could be a good fit in the Miami offense.

Walter Football


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:54 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10987
Location: MA
I'll say it for the 100th time - he is the perfect type of WR for Tannehill. If Miami is going to invest in Tannehill then I can't see a reason not to pair him up with Strong.

I know Hickey keeps preaching draft and develop, but Miami can purge a ton of bad money and take care of three immediate needs in FA - OG, NT and S - to set themselves up to take Strong, DGB or maybe even Parker if he falls to 14.

Wallace, Strong and Landry, with a decent line protecting the QB (ahem, sign Orlando Franklin) and the offense will be better.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:25 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
I see no reason to even draft a guard again. Makes no sense. We need a sure thing like an Orlando Franklin and we're already invested in Billy Turner. I'm starting to project us taking WR, LB, CB, DT, TE, S, RB.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
So he compares to a WR that was draft 45th spot and we want Miami to take him where?

Where he does not compare is hand size. Jeffery had 10 1/4" hands to Strong's 9" hands.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5495
Location: Columbia, SC
Dphins4me wrote:
So he compares to a WR that was draft 45th spot and we want Miami to take him where?

Where he does not compare is hand size. Jeffery had 10 1/4" hands to Strong's 9" hands.



#14. If this kid gives Miami the production that Alshon has given the Bears, he will be well worth the pick.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
phinsfansc wrote:
#14. If this kid gives Miami the production that Alshon has given the Bears, he will be well worth the pick.

While I agree if he does, but the reason Jeffery lasted until 45 was all the questions about him.

I know others do not look at it the same way as I do. I see Miami drafting a WR at 14 that the Bears got at 45 and then hoping to get the same production.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:35 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10987
Location: MA
What exactly are the big questions about Strong? People worried about his testing at the Combine and those questions were answered quickly. His game film is great, his interviews supposedly went well and his catching ability + catch radius are outstanding.

The only flaw I've heard is his route running is a little raw.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:43 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
phinsfansc wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
So he compares to a WR that was draft 45th spot and we want Miami to take him where?

Where he does not compare is hand size. Jeffery had 10 1/4" hands to Strong's 9" hands.



#14. If this kid gives Miami the production that Alshon has given the Bears, he will be well worth the pick.

Exactly, why does it matter where Alshon was drafted or where Colston was drafted. They,ve proved they were worthy of being drafted much higher.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm
Posts: 6174
Dphins4me wrote:
While I agree if he does, but the reason Jeffery lasted until 45 was all the questions about him.

I know others do not look at it the same way as I do. I see Miami drafting a WR at 14 that the Bears got at 45 and then hoping to get the same production.


The questions about Alshon were not even remotely similar to Strong, especially when it comes to speed Strong showed at the combine.

Regardless, the Bears picked up over 2900 yards and 17 TD's with that pick ..... let's just say his "real" value turned out to be quite a bit higher than where he was selected.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
jammer wrote:
What exactly are the big questions about Strong? People worried about his testing at the Combine and those questions were answered quickly. His game film is great, his interviews supposedly went well and his catching ability + catch radius are outstanding.

The only flaw I've heard is his route running is a little raw.

Boom! :yay:


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm
Posts: 6174
swerve13 wrote:
Exactly, why does it matter where Alshon was drafted or where Colston was drafted. They,ve proved they were worthy of being drafted much higher.


Because he wants DGB.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm
Posts: 6174
jammer wrote:
What exactly are the big questions about Strong? People worried about his testing at the Combine and those questions were answered quickly. His game film is great, his interviews supposedly went well and his catching ability + catch radius are outstanding.

The only flaw I've heard is his route running is a little raw.


There were analysts raving about Strong's elite level ball skills.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:46 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
While I agree if he does, but the reason Jeffery lasted until 45 was all the questions about him.

I know others do not look at it the same way as I do. I see Miami drafting a WR at 14 that the Bears got at 45 and then hoping to get the same production.


The questions about Alshon were not even remotely similar to Strong, especially when it comes to speed Strong showed at the combine.

Regardless, the Bears picked up over 2900 yards and 17 TD's with that pick ..... let's just say his "real" value turned out to be quite a bit higher than where he was selected.

Exactly. Why is that so hard to understand.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:50 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
If there was a quarterback in this draft with Tom Bradys ability, would you wait til round 5 to draft him because thats where Brady got taken.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
Rock Sexton wrote:
Because he wants DGB.

Nope. I just do not like elevating players that much who have questionable speed while playing football, but ran fast in shorts.

Makes me feel like he plays slower than he test. I just do not fall in love with the combines results.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
swerve13 wrote:
If there was a quarterback in this draft with Tom Bradys ability, would you wait til round 5 to draft him because thats where Brady got taken.

I actually hate comparing untested rookies with established PBers/HoF. I'm not sure that ever works out.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm
Posts: 6174
Dphins4me wrote:
Nope. I just do not like elevating players that much who have questionable speed while playing football, but ran fast in shorts.

Makes me feel like he plays slower than he test. I just do not fall in love with the combines results.


Then watch the games he played at ASU and stop protesting this fictional argument he would only get drafted in the 1st because of his combine.

The only reason his combine numbers are brought up is because there were people challenging the notion that he could separate at the next level because of his "supposed" lackthereof. So what does the kid do? He shatters what they thought. That's called efforting and preparation. How can you not admire that along with everything else he brings to the table?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:01 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10987
Location: MA
Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Because he wants DGB.

Nope. I just do not like elevating players that much who have questionable speed while playing football, but ran fast in shorts.

Makes me feel like he plays slower than he test. I just do not fall in love with the combines results.


The thing is he doesn't have questionable playing speed, he just isn't in the White-Cooper-Parker mold so he doesn't get the same credit. Earlier in the year he was being mocked in the top 20 because he had stand out performances, but once the analysts got their hands on more film of non-skill position guys he was bumped down simply because they filled in other names with team needs.

If Miami doesn't take him at 14 then I want them aggressively trading back into the 1st or very early 2nd round to get him. Heck, I'd offer Dion Jordan, the 48th pick and a future pick to Philly to move up to 20 to secure him. Chip Kelly finally gets his guy Jordan!!!


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
Rock Sexton wrote:

Then watch the games he played at ASU and stop protesting this fictional argument he would only get drafted in the 1st because of his combine.
Never posted that. Stop making up fictitious comments.

Rock Sexton wrote:
The only reason his combine numbers are brought up is because there were people challenging the notion that he could separate at the next level because of his "supposed" lackthereof. So what does the kid do? He shatters what they thought. That's called efforting and preparation. How can you not admire that along with everything else he brings to the table?

So a kid got himself in condition to impress at the combine. Which if you already liked the guy, then wonderful. I'm not against him, just not for him at 14.

Not a combine person. There are few ( if any ) things they do at the combines that relates to actual football. They are in a sprinters stance & in shorts. Football is not played like that.

Vernon Ghoston looked great at the combine. Freaking workout stud. They forgot one thing. None of that translated to rushing the passer. How many sacks before he was kicked out of the NFL?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
jammer wrote:
Heck, I'd offer Dion Jordan, the 48th pick and a future pick to Philly to move up to 20 to secure him. Chip Kelly finally gets his guy Jordan!!!

Glad you are not the GM. Giving up on the No. 3 pick from 2 yrs ago and a 2nd plus another pick for a late 1st. Ouch.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm
Posts: 6174
Dphins4me wrote:
So a kid got himself in condition to impress at the combine. Which if you already liked the guy, then wonderful. I'm not against him, just not for him at 14.


He was already in wonderful condition. He took it step further with the help of one of the best training programs in the country over here in AZ at EXOS. But somehow improving your "supposed" weakness is a bad thing.

Quote:
Not a combine person. There are few ( if any ) things they do at the combines that relates to actual football. They are in a sprinters stance & in shorts. Football is not played like that.

Vernon Ghoston looked great at the combine. Freaking workout stud. They forgot one thing. None of that translated to rushing the passer. How many sacks before he was kicked out of the NFL?


Vernon Gholston? Srsly?

Good for you man, except this kid has far more to his resume than combine numbers. Go watch the games already and make an actual informed opinion about what his worth is.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:24 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9182
I actually hate comparing untested rookies with established PBers/HoF. I'm not sure that ever works out.




But aren't you doing that regarding Colston and Jefferies?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:26 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9182
Glad you are not the GM. Giving up on the No. 3 pick from 2 yrs ago and a 2nd plus another pick for a late 1st. Ouch.

DJ is bust, so jammer might actually be a better GM. Some of your guys that you like (undrafted scrubs, acorns, or thugs) would bury this team further than it is.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm
Posts: 6174
Makchell wrote:
I actually hate comparing untested rookies with established PBers/HoF. I'm not sure that ever works out.



But aren't you doing that regarding Colston and Jefferies?


I'm just curious what almost 3,000 yards and 17TD's in the firs two years is worth to him.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:29 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9182
I'm just curious what almost 3,000 yards and 17TD's in the firs two years is worth to him.

#1 overall pick to me.....


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
Rock Sexton wrote:

He was already in wonderful condition. He took it step further with the help of one of the best training programs in the country over here in AZ at EXOS. But somehow improving your "supposed" weakness is a bad thing.
How do you know he improved it? Does he play football in pads or shorts? How often will he run in a straight line in the NFL? Maybe the reason he is considered questionable speed in football is when he break he losses speed? That is just silly talk.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Vernon Gholston? Srsly?

Good for you man, except this kid has far more to his resume than combine numbers.
Oh Sorry. Thought 22.5 sacks in 26 games was impressive for a college DE. Silly me. I thought Gholston two yrs of production sorta related to Strong's two yrs of production.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Go watch the games already and make an actual informed opinion about what his worth is.
Dude I have a life. Not that interested in scouting college WR for a MB discussion. Sorry if I'm stepping on your man crush, but I believe 14 is to high for this guy.

I have watched AZS play prior. He could be a HoF Wr and the best ever. Who knows until he plays in the NFL.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
Makchell wrote:
But aren't you doing that regarding Colston and Jefferies?

I'm not comparing. I'm responding to the people who are doing so.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:41 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9182
Dude I have a life. Not that interested in scouting college WR for a MB discussion

Yet you bash Swerve who does scout and researches these players. I looked over the boards today and noticed a lot of posts Sat night, maybe this is your life and you don't know it?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:41 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10987
Location: MA
Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:
Heck, I'd offer Dion Jordan, the 48th pick and a future pick to Philly to move up to 20 to secure him. Chip Kelly finally gets his guy Jordan!!!

Glad you are not the GM. Giving up on the No. 3 pick from 2 yrs ago and a 2nd plus another pick for a late 1st. Ouch.


Considering Jordan and McCain are very similar, Jordan is not a Hickey guy, and Miami is about to give Tannehill a big extension...yeah I'm making a move to shore up my biggest investment by paying with a player the coaches struggle to incorporate into a game plan.

Jordan's draft status means squat unless the coaching staff figures out a better way to use him. And McCain seems to have as much ability for a fraction of the cost. Let's say Miami drafts McKinney or Kendricks at 14 to play ILB and move Koa Misi back outside...why wouldn't an aggressive move to get Strong make sense?

I was originally half joking with the suggestion but the more I think about it the more it makes sense for Miami's needs.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
Makchell wrote:

DJ is bust,
He may very well be. I just do not think one can walk away after two yrs.

Makchell wrote:
Some of your guys that you like (undrafted scrubs, acorns, or thugs) would bury this team further than it is.

Just as some of you who have yet to understand football is not played by alter boys.

The team will have to hit on some UDFA if you trade away 3 picks for 1.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm
Posts: 6174
Dphins4me wrote:
How do you know he improved it? Does he play football in pads or shorts? How often will he run in a straight line in the NFL? Maybe the reason he is considered questionable speed in football is when he break he losses speed? That is just silly talk.


No, silly talk is drafting a player with major character concerns at 14.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Oh Sorry. Thought 22.5 sacks in 26 games was impressive for a college DE. Silly me. I thought Gholston two yrs of production sorta related to Strong's two yrs of production.


Two positions that aren't even remotely transitive. Nor are the players. You're just cherry picking combine freaks to serve your argument instead of watching games.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dude I have a life. Not that interested in scouting college WR for a MB discussion. Sorry if I'm stepping on your man crush, but I believe 14 is to high for this guy.

I have watched AZS play prior. He could be a HoF Wr and the best ever. Who knows until he plays in the NFL.


The "I have a life card" LMFAO. If Strong is my "man crush" then that must make what you have for DGB a raging Cyalis/Viagara cocktail induced hard on.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:44 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9182
I was originally half joking with the suggestion but the more I think about it the more it makes sense for Miami's needs.

Just like Jeffries going higher knowing what we know about him, I'd bet DJ would go undrafted having a drug problem and just plain sucking. I'd take a 7th for him and a 7th for Hartline.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
jammer wrote:
McCain seems to have as much ability for a fraction of the cost.
Mak just said McCain sucks because he was a UDFA.

jammer wrote:
Let's say Miami drafts McKinney or Kendricks at 14 to play ILB and move Koa Misi back outside...why wouldn't an aggressive move to get Strong make sense?
Because of the depth at the WR position say one can get a player similar without trading up. Not a huge fan of trading up for players.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:51 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10987
Location: MA
If Strong is a potential #1 WR and available at the 20th pick you're going to have a hard time convincing me that shipping off the 48th pick (which you'd use for him), Jordan (who is basically surplus talent) and a future mid rounder is not worth it.

Let's be real, that deal is never going to happen. I just hope if Miami doesn't opt for WR at 14 and doesn't address the need via FA, then they make sure they aren't settling for someone at the back of Rd 2 when they would have preferred guys like Strong or DGB. Thankfully Tannenbaum is aggressive when it comes to getting guys he likes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:54 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10987
Location: MA
Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:
McCain seems to have as much ability for a fraction of the cost.
Mak just said McCain sucks because he was a UDFA.

jammer wrote:
Let's say Miami drafts McKinney or Kendricks at 14 to play ILB and move Koa Misi back outside...why wouldn't an aggressive move to get Strong make sense?
Because of the depth at the WR position say one can get a player similar without trading up. Not a huge fan of trading up for players.


I don't think McCain sucks.

There may be depth but a lot of it seems to be slot guys or speedsters. Miami needs a big catch radius guy. I'm seeing this as analogous to the Ravens trading back up for Flacco who was deemed a 2nd Round talent. I truly think Strong would make life easier for Tannehill which would have a very big positive impact on the offense.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:57 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9182
Mak just said McCain sucks because he was a UDFA.


Yeah, good job putting words in mouth. I never said that.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
Rock Sexton wrote:
No, silly talk is drafting a player with major character concerns at 14.
Yes, I would hate to have Dez Bryant on the team. Horrible. Just horrible.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Two positions that aren't even remotely transitive.
Oh that is your argument. Two different positions. Gotcha.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Nor are the players.


Rock Sexton wrote:
You're just cherry picking combine freaks to serve your argument instead of watching games.
I picked one off the top of my head who had two yrs of production. Sorry, for not being able to quote all others. Left my notebook at work, where I was going over all this on my lunch time. I was preparing myself for this discussion tonight and doing my rankings of the top 1000 college players.


Rock Sexton wrote:
The "I have a life card"
Yes, you want me to waste my time scouting. Two kids, 60 hrs weeks and you want me to sit back & watch a old college game. Yea, I have a life.

Rock Sexton wrote:
If Strong is my "man crush" then that must make what you have for DGB a raging Cyalis/Viagara cocktail induced hard on.
You are the one sucking on his jock suddenly because I think 14 is to high for him.

Yes I would gamble on DGB at the back end of Rd. 1 or early in Rd. 2.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6953
jammer wrote:
I don't think McCain sucks.
Neither do I, but UDFA are not worth signing, if you listen to Mak.

jammer wrote:
There may be depth but a lot of it seems to be slot guys or speedsters. Miami needs a big catch radius guy. I'm seeing this as analogous to the Ravens trading back up for Flacco who was deemed a 2nd Round talent. I truly think Strong would make life easier for Tannehill which would have a very big positive impact on the offense.
Again not against Strong. Just would rather see Miami take him at 22-26.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r