All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:38 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rumors has it Adrian Peterson wants out of Minnesota, can we make a trade possible?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Signing him as a free agent is definitely a situation you look into, but trading picks/players...I'm not considering. He's a 30 year old RB, an awful title to have in this league. Yes, he is a generational player, but Miami does not need to go all in on an aging RB, if anything go young in the draft with a mauler type. If we were that one piece away from SB contention, absolutely.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:06 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If i were denver id make a move to grab him. With AP, denver doesnt really need julius thomas. Denver is kind of in a sb or bust so itd be smart to get a stud like ap behind peyton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Manhattan wrote:
If i were denver id make a move to grab him. With AP, denver doesnt really need julius thomas. Denver is kind of in a sb or bust so itd be smart to get a stud like ap behind peyton

I agree. I believe Miami would be a dark horse to sign him as a free agent, but can almost completely rule this out in a trade scenario.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:36 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Please no, Lamar Miller is a top ten RB, D Williams could be a star in the making, no need at all to be spending $ on a 30 year old RB, no matter how good he's been. He may be good for another 4 years, that wouldn't surprise me, it's AP, then again he could tear his ACL next year and never be the same again, he's not the final piece, we don't even have a "problem" at RB, 1100yds, 8 TDs and a 5.1 avg behind a bad Oline, the kid can run, not very good as a receiver but a quality RB.

Spending the limited funds we have on a position that has no immediate need doesn't make much sense when the Fins will be scrambling just to plug all the holes at positions of actual need.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:09 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Take away that one 99 yd run, miller had one game of 100 yards and wpuld havee exactly 1000 yards. I get that miami didnt give him a lot of carries but thats why his average is pretty high. Give him 250 attempts and i guarantee his average shrinks a whole yard.
Hes not explosive, hed oesnt make anyone miss, doesnt break tackles and cant catch. Miller is just a guy in the backfield in my opinion. The position could definitely be upgraded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:41 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

why would his average drop a whole yard if given more carries????

Last time i checked, average is an average... and while Miller may not be the best back in the league.... every third or fourth run he makes is a 9 yarder... Thats why he has a 5 yard per carry average. If you gave him another 100 carries over the season, i wouldnt doubt his average drops to the 4.7 range, but not to the low 4's.... unless they were trying to battering ram him into the endzone.

Miller is exactly what is advertised. He isnt gonna get the tough yard.... but he has been falling forward, he has increased his durability.... he has been decisive with the ball, and he can hit the homerun. Is he the kinda guy thats gonna have 3 or 4 20+ yard runs a game.... NO... but he will get sizeable 8 and 9 yard gains very often.

Keep Miller, Develop Williams.................. pay Daniel Thomas to play for the Patriots... and draft a youngin if necessary. AP is a luxury that we do not need

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
pay Daniel Thomas to play for the Patriots

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:49 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Manhattan wrote:
Take away that one 99 yd run, miller had one game of 100 yards and wpuld havee exactly 1000 yards. I get that miami didnt give him a lot of carries but thats why his average is pretty high. Give him 250 attempts and i guarantee his average shrinks a whole yard.
Hes not explosive, hed oesnt make anyone miss, doesnt break tackles and cant catch. Miller is just a guy in the backfield in my opinion. The position could definitely be upgraded

You can't take away that run. Lamar made that play. Love AP, but he is not going to be looking to take to much of a paycut and Minnesota does not want to trade him. If they do, they are looking to get a TON for him.

Lamar had 38 catches in 2014, so he is pretty good coming out of the backfield.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

You can't take away that run. Lamar made that play. Love AP, but he is not going to be looking to take to much of a paycut and Minnesota does not want to trade him. If they do, they are looking to get a TON for him.

Lamar had 38 catches in 2014, so he is pretty good coming out of the backfield.

He's not bad IF he catches the ball, he had 7 drops, not exactly a reliable target.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:38 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

For the trade guru's out there....

What's the precedent for trading Top RB's in the past decade.

2014: Darren Sproles for a 5th round pick.
Trent Richardson for a 1st rounder...
Reggie Bush-- for a swap of 5th round picks

I dont know if the Vikings will get any big deal for trading AP- Its not like they are going to get a desperate playoff team willing to trade early in the season.... your talking about the offseason.

a 30 yr old RB- being traded due to the off-field incident... I can't see Minnesota pulling in more than a 3rd round pick.....

Honestly- I see a Brandon Marshall type trade if it happens..... thats all.

This is not to say for or against.... just I think the trade market will be pretty reasonable for the buyer.... salary will be the issue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:59 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Im not saying get ap because miller sucks. Im saying miller is far from a top end rb and that 97 yd run was not all him. I dont think he was touched. Thats what he does well. One cut. If a lb, db or anyone else is in the way then thats all the farther he gets.
And like finster said, miller had quite a few drops. Im guessing a lot of those 38 catches were screens. He cant run routes or make catches. Lt, sproles, bush,..those guys are good out the backfield. Not miller.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:25 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I heard on NFL network that there has never been a 30+ year running back to hit a 1000yrds after being traded. In other words, AP is done, he's on the wrong side of his prime.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:34 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Man does anyone else tire of these threads and Facebook posts about every single big name free agent on the market?

Not a position of need at all, Miller is the future at RB, just need a late round talent to put alongside him if the staff isn't sold on Damien Williams... and for the love of god can we end the Daniel Thomas experiment? Dudes bad, real bad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:54 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:
I heard on NFL network that there has never been a 30+ year running back to hit a 1000yrds after being traded. In other words, AP is done, he's on the wrong side of his prime.

traded is the key word there. How often are 30 year old 1k RB's traded in the NFL?

PS: AP has less NFL carries at this point in his carreer than Ricky Williams had entering the 2009 seaon, he was 31 or 32 at that point, and ran for 1100+ with 11 TD's

Just sayin... Wouldnt think AP is "done" just yet...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:54 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Makchell wrote:

They said he was done a couple of years ago when he blew out his knee in the final regular season game of the year.

Then he came back the next season and finished a handful of yards short of the NFL rushing record.

He wants to play for Dallas, and it looks like they'll have a hole there. But I'd take Peterson in a second if he'd consider Miami.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:14 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

10acjed wrote:
PS: AP has less NFL carries at this point in his career than Ricky Williams had entering the 2009 seaon, he was 31 or 32 at that point, and ran for 1100+ with 11 TD's

I came up with different numbers than you did. I came up with AP having 131 more carries.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:56 pm 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Does an offensive line come with him?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Dphins4me wrote:
10acjed wrote:
PS: AP has less NFL carries at this point in his career than Ricky Williams had entering the 2009 seaon, he was 31 or 32 at that point, and ran for 1100+ with 11 TD's

I came up with different numbers than you did. I came up with AP having 131 more carries.

Yes I was off, stats list ricky at 1923 carries entering that season, he turned 32 during OTA's.

I dont see why a team wouldnt take a look, no different than taking a look at Suh or any other top players available.

Now what he is worth is a different story...

I will admit tho, I have nearly spit my coffee up laughing when I see ppl saying no to AP because we have Lamar... Nobody is building a team around Lamar and riding his shoulders, which is wht the vikes have been doing for years now...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:19 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Yes I was off, stats list ricky at 1923 carries entering that season, he turned 32 during OTA's.

I dont see why a team wouldnt take a look, no different than taking a look at Suh or any other top players available.

Now what he is worth is a different story...

I will admit tho, I have nearly spit my coffee up laughing when I see ppl saying no to AP because we have Lamar... Nobody is building a team around Lamar and riding his shoulders, which is wht the vikes have been doing for years now...

No one is building a team around a 30 year old RB either, I think that's the point, your bringing him in because he's AP, not because it makes sense for the franchise.

Let him go play his swan song elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:27 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Point is he is way better than any rb on this team, by a long shot. I'm not saying build a team around him, just pointing out the fact that he is on another level when compared to Lamar

This is an 8-8 team in need of players on offense that can make a difference, specifically ones who will help RT..

Not saying go throw everything out to get him either, just can't understand this no way stance same have

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphans1 wrote:
Rumors has it Adrian Peterson wants out of Minnesota, can we make a trade possible?

No thanks. We're not one AP away from really contending. Let someone else who can afford to give up the compensation necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:19 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Like it or not, I think Miami is content with Miller, Williams and a drafted power back. I'm also willing to bet they give Williams his shot to prove he should be the #1 RB in 2016.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:24 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Point is he is way better than any rb on this team, by a long shot. I'm not saying build a team around him, just pointing out the fact that he is on another level when compared to Lamar

This is an 8-8 team in need of players on offense that can make a difference, specifically ones who will help RT..

Not saying go throw everything out to get him either, just can't understand this no way stance same have

You do realize it will be very expensive, you realize AP makes approximately 20 times more than Miller, will he put up 20 times the stats?

AP= 14+ mil per year

LM= 600+ thou per year

LM was 10th in yards, 2nd in avg and 8th in TDs, we're fine at RB, with all the other problems we have why would we throw a ton of money at an aging player at a position that doesn't need to be addressed?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:07 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Still would not just shut the door on the idea so easily.

Need to see what happens, I think its a pipe dream for sure. But his gar # is 3.3 mil, plus he is on a seriously back loaded contract, he has been playing for less money. Cap going up each year with speculation of it being at 160 by 2016....

We do have the 37th ranked WR in yards being paid top 3 money too, so chances are any great player will be looking for a fat pay day here... So Im sure your right...
Just not the type of player I would just let slide by without at least looking into.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:13 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

AP didnt play 1 down in 2014. He's missed most of a season due to an ACL tear.

AP = Ricky Williams in my mind.

Both were GREAT RB's in their prime..... But just like Ricky's suspension... AP has been away from the game for an entire year.... at about the same point in their careers.

Did Ricky come back and be productive? Of course he did... but Miami had already drafted Ronnie Brown, and Ricky would play second fiddle for the rest of his career.

AP is better than Miller is an unknown at the moment. Who really knows where AP will be come Sept 2015... after not playing a down in regular season since Dec 2013? More than likely, he could still be a 1500 yard back..... But AP could end up being a 950 yard back with a swollen knee.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Miller would have had a monster year if they would have just committed to running the ball. Lazor gets way too pass happy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:51 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Am I the only one who doesn't want to see AP become a Dolphin just because he's a crappy human being?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Cap going up each year with speculation of it being at 160 by 2016...

All that means is that players will be demanding more money, and salaries will eventually skyrocket. It's not going to make it any easier for a GM to fill holes and build a roster on team friendly deals.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Still would not just shut the door on the idea so easily.

Need to see what happens, I think its a pipe dream for sure. But his gar # is 3.3 mil, plus he is on a seriously back loaded contract, he has been playing for less money. Cap going up each year with speculation of it being at 160 by 2016....

We do have the 37th ranked WR in yards being paid top 3 money too, so chances are any great player will be looking for a fat pay day here... So Im sure your right...
Just not the type of player I would just let slide by without at least looking into.

Ap is already under contract through 2017, all his remaining years are 15 mil or over.

If your paying that type of money to a RB than your going to be running a run heavy offense with man blocking most likely, not only is he too expensive and old, because of the money he doesn't really fit the offense Lazor is trying to run.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:15 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Oh yeah I forgot about that superb zone blocking scheme...

:fart:

Will probably be discussing the new coaching staff next year anyway, you guys are right, may as well just leave everything as is and keep the cap low...

Plus this is all a hypothetical what if anyway.. No team will trade for him unless he is willing to restructure. I doubt it anyway...

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]