All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:11 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The Saints may release their 9-year vet, pro-bowl guard, Jahri Evans. Reportedly, they are trying to restructure his contract, i.e......get him to take a pay cut. He's been a pro bowler the past 6 years, but his play fell off last year, in part due to a torn ligament in his wrist. If the Saints are successful in keeping Evans, then 2011 & 2013 Pro Bowl Guard, Ben Grubbs will most likely be a causality.

If the Saints can not get either to renegotiate, then they both maybe available. Lot's of potential top- tier free agent guards this year. Maybe we can avoid drafting O line with the first round pick.

Other Top FA Guards..........Orloando Franklin, G/OT,Denver 27, .........Mike Iupati, G, 49ers, 28.........Clint Boling, G, Bengals, 26.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473504/article/report-saints-could-cut-pro-bowl-guard-jahri-evans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:18 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

A nice pool of options at guard for us. Lucky us.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:32 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We can address a guard in FA, hopefully.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:34 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

what would this do to the price tag??

If Orlando Franklin, Iupati, Boling, Evans, and Grubbs are all available..... wouldnt this injure the market?! Or would it be the opposite?

Im wondering if this is one of those situations where.... no one signs the first day, waiting..... seeing what the first contract looks like before anyone else blinks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:33 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

wouldnt this injure the market?! Or would it be the opposite?

More supply = less demand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:06 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Demand is the same, makchell. As supplies go up price goes down

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:16 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

We,'re morons if we dont sign one of the 5 or 6 quality guards out there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:33 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:

I don't agree Swerve, it's time for this team to stop trying to fix problems by slapping them with money, we already have too much money tied up in the oline.

Right now the Fins have no cap space, to create cap space we have to cut or trade away a bunch of FAs that haven't panned out, and then live with the dead money that always seems to end a FAs career here in Miami.

I think it's high time this team started to fix their problems through the draft, Hickey's goal this year should not be the playoffs, it should be fixing this team, we're strapped and not exactly overflowing with talent, thats a huge problem, created by signing too many FAs.

My mantra this year, just say no to FA.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:43 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

But drafting guards has gotten us nowhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:51 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finster wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I don't agree Swerve, it's time for this team to stop trying to fix problems by slapping them with money, we already have too much money tied up in the oline.

Right now the Fins have no cap space, to create cap space we have to cut or trade away a bunch of FAs that haven't panned out, and then live with the dead money that always seems to end a FAs career here in Miami.

I think it's high time this team started to fix their problems through the draft, Hickey's goal this year should not be the playoffs, it should be fixing this team, we're strapped and not exactly overflowing with talent, thats a huge problem, created by signing too many FAs.

I believe it's doable. Remember, the tackles get paid big bucks in free agency, not the guards.

The problem is Joe Philbin's system. It's designed for zone blockers, not maulers. Most of the guys mentioned above are maulers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:51 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
But drafting guards has gotten us nowhere.

I understand Swerve, believe me, I am a Fin fan like yourself and have seen the same things happen, BUT, we can't hamstring Hickey because of Ireland's failures, Hickey has to have a chance to right the ship, and you can't right the ship by overpaying FAs that may or may not work here.

The FA binge that has been the Fins for the past few years is all because Ireland failed drafting, and then every year he's trying to patch the holes in the hull of the ship, but there comes a time when you have to bring the ship back to port to actually fix it, because patches only work for so long.

It's high time the Fins bring the ship back to port to be properly fixed, and that means no high priced FAs, it means building the team through the draft, repairing the cap damage that Ireland created, not creating more potential problems.

No one wants to hear the dreaded term "rebuild", but sometimes, that is the answer, and we've reached that point, years of "retooling" have left us spinning our wheels, it's time to fix the Miami Dolphins, AND if we have the right guy in Hickey that can be accomplished within a couple years, then we can start making runs at the SB instead of making runs at a winning record.

An example, the Steelers have been the best team in the NFL over the last 20 years, can you name the last time they signed a high priced FA? They build their team through the draft, and they have let many good players walk instead of overpaying for them, they are the model of consistency and we need to take a page from their book imo.

I am really tired of making runs at a winning record, and mortgaging the future to do so, it's a viscous circle that keeps us spinning our wheels, and we need a virtuous circle to grow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Finster wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I believe it's doable. Remember, the tackles get paid big bucks in free agency, not the guards.

The problem is Joe Philbin's system. It's designed for zone blockers, not maulers. Most of the guys mentioned above are maulers.

Your right Tommy, most of these guys aren't zone guys, and 2 of them are over 30, and your also correct about Ts making more money than Gs, but Gs are trending up, 3 of the top ten paid OL in 2014 were Gs.

However, overpaying per position is still the problem, to sign one of these Gs your going to have to overpay for the position, at least 2 of these guys made 9 mil last year.

We really need to draft better Tommy, our fortunes won't change until we do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:12 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I agree with Finster to an extent about throwing more money at problems. I've been adamant about going after Orlando Franklin so I guess we differ there. I just like that Franklin is from a zone scheme, has tackle experience for versatility purposes and is still only 27 years old. Some free agents really do help - Starks, Albert and Grimes - so it shouldn't be totally ruled out.

It is high time Miami start paying its good players instead of overpaying other people's castoffs.

They can get rid of almost all overpriced Ireland guys and field a team of homegrown talent this year. But the draft alone isn't going to make this a winning team. If they think Billy Turner at RG and a 1st or 2nd Rd guy at LG is the answer then so be it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:38 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

It's hard to say "just draft an OG" when we did, and he hardly saw the field. Why? It could have been that he wasn't ready, or his toe...your guess is as good as mine, but regardless, Turner is a pick of Hickey's, so we'll see what happens with him. Not saying Hickey is a bum, just mentioning he made the pick.

Obviously money is the biggest factor here. Either way, I see us signing a guard...maybe not the highest paid guy, but somebody! I don't think the staff takes the chance of hoping the draft picks work out immediately. That being said, I think we will draft linemen too.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]