All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:33 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

So I apologize to Finhead and Finster for saying no way Wallace would get traded. Its being reported by several sources that Miami is seeking to trade him.

As you would guess it seems some type of contract restructure would be involved. And there is skepticism Miami would get much in return.

I actually had this crazy theory of how Miami could trade up to get Devante Parker at #8 (leap frogging any potential suitor) but resisted from posting it. If Wallace goes I'd have to think Miami is targeting a WR at 14 or plans to make a move up from the 47th pick to secure someone in the early 2nd Rd.

Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just for reference point, Ian Rapaport tweeted Miami is exploring a trade. Barry Jackson, Andrew Abramson and I think someone from the Sun Sentinel have all chimed in on it. No one has debunked the report.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:53 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

said it before, I'll say it again; stupid decision. we could keep Wallace and use our 14th pick to fill other holes we have, instead it's Brandon Marshall syndrome all over again, can we really afford this with Hartline and Gibson as the options behind Landry? I don't think so and I fear that this could set us back offensively.

Philbin should be gone before Wallace, I'm just saying.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:57 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Miami seeking a trade does not mean they will find a taker.

I do not see anyone wanting his contract.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:38 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:

That is my initial hunch but you never know. Someone might rent him for a year in exchange for a 6th rounder. If a team doesn't want to make a multi year commitment to Torrey Smith or Jeremy Maclin then I guess one year of Wallace + maybe a drafted guy makes more sense.

I think the larger point, if this news is true, is that Miami has made its decision on Wallace. How often do you see something like this happen and then have the player stay with the team if a trade doesn't happen? He's traded or cut by March 15 it seems.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

That is my initial hunch but you never know. Someone might rent him for a year in exchange for a 6th rounder. If a team doesn't want to make a multi year commitment to Torrey Smith or Jeremy Maclin then I guess one year of Wallace + maybe a drafted guy makes more sense.

I think the larger point, if this news is true, is that Miami has made its decision on Wallace. How often do you see something like this happen and then have the player stay with the team if a trade doesn't happen? He's traded or cut by March 15 it seems.

That is the thing I get out of this. You put him on the trade block, it hard to have him on your team AFTER you make this move. I think he is gone either way now. Not a move that I am happy about, but it is what it is.

Looks like Miami is going to look for a WR in free agency and probably draft a couple if they clean house they way I think they are. Wallace, Gibson and Hartline. Hartline has a chance to stay if he restructures.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:04 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Dumb move by a dumb coach. Either way, the relationship is severed and it's gonna hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:23 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Guess dinner didn't go so well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:20 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I got picks and money...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Not a Wallace fan so it's ok by me.

Heard on the radio this morning that any team that traded for him would only have to pay something like $3 mill for him this year and then they could cut him after the season with no penalty... similar to the Percy Harvin situation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
That is the thing I get out of this. You put him on the trade block, it hard to have him on your team AFTER you make this move. I think he is gone either way now. Not a move that I am happy about, but it is what it is.

Looks like Miami is going to look for a WR in free agency and probably draft a couple if they clean house they way I think they are. Wallace, Gibson and Hartline. Hartline has a chance to stay if he restructures.

The more people the Dolphins add to their organization to make decisions, the outcome is always the same.

This would seriously disappoint me. This has to be a money decision since they are willing to keep him if he took a pay cut. Since the Dolphins have taken this long to evaluate their players and are now working on contracts for some of their departing free agents, keeping Wallace at his outrageous salary is not an option in their roster plans.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not a good move for anything less than a 3rd round pick....Seattle is receiver poor and Wallace would be a great fit, but such a deep draft at WR...why trade unless you covet a particular type of target?

I would rather keep him and make a move for Parker. Parker on one side, Wallace on the other. Landry in the slot and a restructured Hartline as the #4 or in relief. Wallace demands the top corner in coverage and can clear zones and shift safeties. 4 receiver sets like that would get mismatches....you could also go with the top 3 receivers and Clay with Miller as the back. Move Clay all over the place to generate mismatches.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This should play out in the next few weeks.

Armando Salguero wrote:
If the Dolphins are going to cut Wallace, they will likely do it before a $3 million guarantee of his scheduled $9.85 million salary goes into effect on the fifth day of the NFL year. The league year begins March 10 so we're talking a decision by March 15.

And in all likelihood what will happen if the Dolphins cut Wallace is they will do so with a post June 1 designation. Teams get two such designations every year. It means the Dolphins will be able to carry the dead money left from the aborted contract over two years instead of just one year -- this year.

So if the Dolphins cut Wallace with a post June 1 designation it will save $6.5 million in salary cap space for the year while carrying $5.2 million in dead money. Without the designation, the move would save the Dolphins only $2.5 million and carry $9.6 million in dead money this year.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:08 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is how I feel about it:

Armando Salguero wrote:
For the record: I keep Mike Wallace. Period. It is not his fault Ryan Tannehill has misfired on deep passes. If the QB hits even 50 percent of those, we're adding maybe seven more TDs to the player's statistics and suddenly he's happy, the fans are happy and the team is more willing to put up with whatever private grumbling Wallace still displays.

I advocate making it work. No relationship is perfect.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Armando Salguero wrote:
If the QB hits even 50 percent of those, we're adding maybe seven more TDs to the player's statistics and suddenly he's happy, the fans are happy and the team is more willing to put up with whatever private grumbling Wallace still displays.

Ugh, this is why 'Mando has the rep that he does...what QB hits on HALF of his deep ball attempts? Those are complete fantasy numbers. No one does that, or ever will. The point is completely lost when you say something like that. He says "even" as if 50% is the average. Smh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Paypal - recipient has to have Paypal account

API calls -

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Armando Salguero wrote:
If the QB hits even 50 percent of those, we're adding maybe seven more TDs to the player's statistics and suddenly he's happy, the fans are happy and the team is more willing to put up with whatever private grumbling Wallace still displays.

Ugh, this is why 'Mando has the rep that he does...what QB hits on HALF of his deep ball attempts? Those are complete fantasy numbers. No one does that, or ever will. The point is completely lost when you say something like that. He says "even" as if 50% is the average. Smh.

Only 5 QBs were accurate on 50% or more of their throws 20 yards or over. Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tony Romo and Joe Flacco.

Tannehill was ranked 13th and accurate on 37.7% of his deep throws. Better than Matt Stafford, Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton and Eli Manning. Right behind Phillip Rivers and Big Ben.

Those are the facts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:27 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
Armando Salguero wrote:

"So if the Dolphins cut Wallace with a post June 1 designation it will save $6.5 million in salary cap space for the year while carrying $5.2 million in dead money. Without the designation, the move would save the Dolphins only $2.5 million and carry $9.6 million in dead money this year."

It's doubtful we'll get a playmaker like Wallace for $6.5M this year and $5.2M next year. If his talks with Hickey and Philbin were positive, there's not a legitamite argument to release him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:39 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:

Only 5 QBs were accurate on 50% or more of their throws 20 yards or over. Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tony Romo and Joe Flacco.

Tannehill was ranked 13th and accurate on 37.7% of his deep throws. Better than Matt Stafford, Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton and Eli Manning. Right behind Phillip Rivers and Big Ben.

Those are the facts.

You can probably verify this Rich, but I bet Tanny is close or over 50% on deep ball passes to receivers not named Wallace.

Tanny started hitting a few to Wallace toward the end of the year.............he needs more time and better pocket awareness.

Last edited by shularino on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:58 pm 

Rich wrote:

Also would like to point out that Matt Ryan has Julio Jones, Aaron Rodgers has Jordy Nelson, Tony Romo has Dez Bryant and Drew Brees has Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston, guys that can fight for the ball downfield and thus the QB doesn't have to perfectly place the ball in their belly for them to make the catch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I've been saying this for a while now - if Wallace was that good at tracking deep balls and getting open so consistently then why didn't he have 16+ TDs in any year for Pittsburgh? Big Ben has a nice deep ball and is elite at extending plays or maximizing broken plays. Even if Wallace was part of a committee there he should have been catching at least 2 or 3 deep passes per game if he gets open so many times per game.

With that said, I completely agree it doesn't make sense to get rid of him unless there is a legit back up plan.

I know people dislike when I say it but I think Crabtree is the FA target. I've heard it from a few sources and Omar Kelly admitted today he's heard Crabtree is a legit target. I'm thinking its Crabtree + Landry + Matthews + Hazel + 2 drafted guys for next year with Clay coming back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:10 pm 

Only the Dolphins.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:

I know people dislike when I say it but I think Crabtree is the FA target. I've heard it from a few sources and Omar Kelly admitted today he's heard Crabtree is a legit target. I'm thinking its Crabtree + Landry + Matthews + Hazel + 2 drafted guys for next year with Clay coming back.

What Miami needs. A WR with an inflated ego with little production & also has feet issues.

As much as I would like to see Matthews, I believe Philbin has moved on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:49 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
As much as I would like to see Matthews, I believe Philbin has moved on.

Matthews was definitely in the dog house but a few of the beat guys said Matthews is staying and I've read Hickey likes him.

I thought Matthews was a potential breakout guy last year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:58 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Those are the facts.

I don't consider 20 yards a deep ball, was speaking out of my definition of it which may be different from what the stat guys have it at. I was thinking 35 + yards as a deep ball measurement, and it is the most minimal part of a QBs playbook usage wise, yet everyone makes the issue out to be a career breaker if the man can't fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I'm thinking its Crabtree + Landry + Matthews + Hazel + 2 drafted guys for next year with Clay coming back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:04 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Heres an idea..

Mike Wallace won't have much of a market due to the fact teams likely believe he will be released..

Patrick Willis may be released from San Fran.. so he won't have much of a market.

Make the trade. Its obvious Wallace wants out now.. seeing how he would have to be willing to restructure his deal and is in contact with Hickey.. So he can basically sabotage any trade we do by refusing to restructure. Sooo.. One would think he would like to play in San Fran.. and man do we need an ILB.. I know Willis isn't what he once was.. But he still a heck of a lot better then our options on the FA market.. and getting Willis in exchange is a better deal then the likely draft compensation we would get in exchange.. if any.. to begin with.

I think it's win win.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:05 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Matthews was definitely in the dog house but a few of the beat guys said Matthews is staying and I've read Hickey likes him.

I thought Matthews was a potential breakout guy last year.

I thought he had a great chance as well. Yet Philbin continued to hamstringing the offense trotting a useless Hartline out there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:38 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This type of thing is why the Fins suck year after year. Its terrible static unable to adapt management.

Last edited by PADOLFAN on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:
I'm thinking its Crabtree + Landry + Matthews + Hazel + 2 drafted guys for next year with Clay coming back.

Considering I can't stand Jay Z we currently have an issue...

But I'll ask this, do you honestly think Miami signs a Maclin or Smith to a long term deal?

I think Crabtree gets a 2 year deal tops and that is why Tannenbaum and Hickey might be willing to gamble.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:06 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I got the Bleacher Report today that we would be lucky to get a 6th for Wallace...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2358 ... h-dolphins

I can't justify this move even more if this is true, I think Philbin is just trying to weed out another person who stood up to him and called him out on his coaching decisions like he did a few years ago when our vets called him out on cutting Chad Johnson.

Fire Philbin, keep Wallace, there isn't a better option out there except maybe Maclin, or moving up in the draft to get Amari Cooper.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:13 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Philbin needs to go. Now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:36 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Rich wrote:
Paypal - recipient has to have Paypal account

API calls -

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Armando Salguero wrote:

Those are the facts.

Very, very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I don't consider 20 yards a deep ball, was speaking out of my definition of it which may be different from what the stat guys have it at. I was thinking 35 + yards as a deep ball measurement, and it is the most minimal part of a QBs playbook usage wise, yet everyone makes the issue out to be a career breaker if the man can't fix it.

I'm the same ..... when I think of a QB hitting a big play deep ball, I'm not looking at 20 yards. That's nothing when it comes to the kinds of arms these kids possess.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:48 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

This offense will go down the sh**ter if that's what they trot out there next year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:25 pm 

Rock Sexton wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I'm the same ..... when I think of a QB hitting a big play deep ball, I'm not looking at 20 yards. That's nothing when it comes to the kinds of arms these kids possess.

Ok but that only augments the point AFC made. If only 5 players are conpleting 50% or more of 20+ yard passes, it is safe to assume that even less are completing passes of 35 yards or over. So again, Mando is talking out of his a$$.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Ok but that only augments the point AFC made. If only 5 players are conpleting 50% or more of 20+ yard passes, it is safe to assume that even less are completing passes of 35 yards or over. So again, Mando is talking out of his butt.

What is he talking out of his butt about? Big plays were left out on the field the last two years, quite a few of them. We can sit and try to rationalize it by looking around at other QB's, but personally I don't care. Make the darn plays more often.

Btw, not looking to get into another redundant argument over who each of us puts more blame on. There's no point, everyone has said their piece in regards to that matter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:16 am 

Chances are Wallace would have dropped them if they were on target anyways. The love for Wallace on this board is unreal. Dude is an average receiver at best and is way overpaid. I'm on Philbins side I'd take just about anything to get rid of this scrub.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:17 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Considering I can't stand Jay Z we currently have an issue...

Haha, I'm not a Jay-Z fan, can't stand today's music. Only type I will listen to is tracks from the 90s/early '00s. The gif just fit the response.

jammer wrote:
But I'll ask this, do you honestly think Miami signs a Maclin or Smith to a long term deal?

I think Crabtree gets a 2 year deal tops and that is why Tannenbaum and Hickey might be willing to gamble.

No, I don't think we sign Torrey Smith or Jeremy Maclin, however I am not a fan of Crabtree either. I don't see how Lazor could cosign Hickey bringing him on board, and especially at a $7m + contract. He doesn't fit the offense. He has been in the league long enough to know who he is. His play style isn't going to change and he isn't a very physical receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:44 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Chances are Wallace would have dropped them if they were on target anyways. The love for Wallace on this board is unreal. Dude is an average receiver at best and is way overpaid. I'm on Philbins side I'd take just about anything to get rid of this scrub.

Overpaid, yes. A scrub? Give me a break. Nice exaggerative rant though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:41 am 

Rock Sexton wrote:
What is he talking out of his butt about?

All you have to do is scroll up a bit in this thread to see AFC's initial post....

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next