Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Just putting this as a placeholder because you know its coming. :haha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Where is the placeholder for Wheeler. He has been awful since he came to Miami.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:07 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think ellerbe is only released once hes replaced. By cutting him they dont save a ton but lose an all right player. Unles his replacement is signed or drafted theres no benefit of cutting him

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:37 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Rich wrote:

Where is the placeholder for Wheeler. He has been awful since he came to Miami.

HA! Y'all are hilarious

Manhattan wrote:
I think ellerbe is only released once hes replaced. By cutting him they dont save a ton but lose an all right player. Unles his replacement is signed or drafted theres no benefit of cutting him

I agree with you Manhattan because I like his potential but you gotta admit this is a pretty dang funny post to start.

A 3 man rotation with Jenkins, Misi, & Ellerbe would be a great luxury since Jenkins is young & Misi is injury prone. I would be surprised if the FO thinks thats worth it tho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:11 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not sure he's getting released, too much of a cap hit and he may be a good OLB in a 4-3, Wheeler is the guy who is not going to be here next year, even though he doesn't save ant cap space.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:21 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finster wrote:
Not sure he's getting released, too much of a cap hit and he may be a good OLB in a 4-3, Wheeler is the guy who is not going to be here next year, even though he doesn't save ant cap space.

Would Miami would rather see what they have with Jordan, McCain or Tripp on the outside for long term purposes? Since they have a TON of cap space for 2016 I'm thinking they want to see which young, homegrown talent is worth extending or investing more time in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

From Omar Kelly..............

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 2h2 hours ago

Cutting Dannell Ellerbe and Mike Wallace as the two pre-June 1 cuts creates $15.35 million of cap relief in 2015. Allows team to spend $25M.
0 replies 11 retweets 15 favorites

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:33 pm 

Finster wrote:

Wait... What?

Cutting Ellerbe saves over $5 million in cap space.

That's a lot to tie up on a guy who spent almost the entire season injured.

He's gone...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

Wait... What?

He's gone...

Cutting Ellerbe costs over 4 mil in dead money too, also, he may be a good OLB, we don't really know right now, might as well try him this year, if that doesn't work it's easier to drop him next year, if he ends up being good, his final 2 years are cheaper, just over 6 mil.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Key question though, is Ellerbe going to be back to 100% after his injuries? He had a pretty tough hip injury I believe. Sounds like between injury, cap space and an Ireland signee that he is realistically a goner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:34 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Key question though, is Ellerbe going to be back to 100% after his injuries? He had a pretty tough hip injury I believe. Sounds like between injury, cap space and an Ireland signee that he is realistically a goner.

I would think he's healed up, that injury happened at the beginning of the year, and cap space, he eats up almost as much as he creates, so no great bounty there, and I seriously hope Hickey isn't jettisoning players simply because Ireland picked them up, talent should be the major factor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Ellerbe's gone............it's really not much of a decision. I also anticipate Misi will be cut after we land a top ILB free agent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:55 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

It's too bad we can't get anything out of this guy. 100% waste his time was here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:27 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

he was supposed to be the next Ray Lewis.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:31 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
he was supposed to be the next Ray Lewis.

There is that comparison I mentioned the other day I hate when its used. Has the Next Etc... ever been the next? Anyone know?

Basically has there ever been a next type player where that player actually turned into anything close?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:43 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

The Ellerbe signing scared me because he was never a full time starter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:09 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Andrew luck the next peyton manning. Calvin johnson the next randy moss. There are a lot of comparisons that went the other way tho

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:49 pm 

Finster wrote:
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

Wait... What?

He's gone...

Cutting Ellerbe costs over 4 mil in dead money too, also, he may be a good OLB, we don't really know right now, might as well try him this year, if that doesn't work it's easier to drop him next year, if he ends up being good, his final 2 years are cheaper, just over 6 mil.

It doesn't make sense to eat up almost $6 mil in cap room that you can use elsewhere on a guy that has proven absolutely nothing in Miami. Getting rid of Ellerbe makes more sense than getting rid of Wheeler. They have both been terrible in Miami, but you get a lot more money back to spend by cutting Ellerbe.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
It doesn't make sense to eat up almost $6 mil in cap room that you can use elsewhere on a guy that has proven absolutely nothing in Miami. Getting rid of Ellerbe makes more sense than getting rid of Wheeler. They have both been terrible in Miami, but you get a lot more money back to spend by cutting Ellerbe.

Interesting point. Tough choice but I don't think getting rid of Ellerbe makes sense because I would rather he contribute & show his worth. Wheeler has had more than enough chances to show his worth. He is worthless either way

Saying Ellerbe has been terrible in Miami, at his unnatural position, & in a questionable Coyle system isn't very objective. He has talent & the ability to contribute. As long as he is here I believe the Dolphins should take advantage, unless they have a greater plan in place.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

I agree with Steve, Wheeler is the useless one, it makes more sense to get rid of Wheeler because he's awful, Ellerbe wasn't as bad as Wheeler and I always thought he would be better on the outside, who knows, maybe he's real good, we don't know, but we do know Wheeler is a waste of a roster spot, it doesn't matter that there isn't much cap savings with Wheeler.

I don't think the Fins are dumping these players to make some major run in FA, I think they're just trying to fix what Ireland broke, and if they're not loading up to go FA crazy, then it makes sense to keep Ellerbe, get an actual evaluation of him at OLB and if it doesn't work you can cut him next year, with less dead money.

The whole Miami thing of late, under Ireland, has been to cut players to free up cap space and be aggressive in FA, Fin fans have come to expect the FA race that starts off every new football year, a failure plan by a failure GM to try and mitigate all his failures.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:20 am 

Yes ... the next ..... I agree with all you guys.
If I remember though the Ellerbee signing came out of nowhere during that whole free agent spending frenzy when we signed Wallace , etc.
The media was saying that the Ravens did not see that coming as they were grooming him to fill Lewis' shoes because he was retiring. Then I think the Dolphin fans ran with that Lewis comparison during the euphoria of that time when all the dust settled we were assured a playoff spot & knocking NE off of their pedestal because they remained so stagnant during that period.
2 years later ... wonder how all that worked out. Oh yeah , now I know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:38 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

When the Ray Lewis comparison came, a red flag came up. If he was that good, why would Balt let him go via free agency? Again, there are reasons that these guys are cut and not resigned.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:06 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:
When the Ray Lewis comparison came, a red flag came up. If he was that good, why would Balt let him go via free agency?
Sometimes its a matter of cap space and Balt. has had its purges.

Makchell wrote:
Again, there are reasons that these guys are cut and not resigned.

Ellerbe was not cut.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:42 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Manhattan wrote:
Andrew luck the next peyton manning. Calvin johnson the next randy moss. There are a lot of comparisons that went the other way tho

I never heard those two.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Obviously. Thats why I answered your question

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:11 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Manhattan wrote:
Obviously. Thats why I answered your question

I can maybe understand the CJ/Moss. Not Luck/Manning. Regardless its rare that they pan out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:19 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Do you think Ellerbe would have been a better player had he stayed and developed in Baltimore? I think the staff there has a good way of developing players.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:20 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Do you think Ellerbe would have been a better player had he stayed and developed in Baltimore? I think the staff there has a good way of developing players

That's my point, he wasn't that good or Balt would have signed him and developed him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:22 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Sometimes its a matter of cap space and Balt. has had its purges.

Of course there are purges, but I don't believe that was the case with Elberte.

Ellerbe was not cut

I know that, I said "guys", meaning other free agents.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:25 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

DanRambo wrote:
Do you think Ellerbe would have been a better player had he stayed and developed in Baltimore? I think the staff there has a good way of developing players.

He'd probably be pretty good as an OLB in Miami but you get Jenkins for a fraction of the cost and Miami needs to find out if Jordan, McCain or Tripp could be a long term answer on the other side.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:23 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Ellerbe is an ilb being asked to play mlb. Coyle cant figure out what to do with players and its frustrating but to say a player isnt any good after one season with a coach who plays guys out of position is silly
Getting another ilb (david harris) after having two other fail (dansby, ellerbe) to play mlb in a 43 doesnt seem to be the answe. In a 34 you need a NT which we dont have and in a 43 you need a mlb that cang o sideline to sideline which we dont have. So get one or the other

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:37 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I think he's a 34 linebacker and thats the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:14 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Thats what i mean.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:04 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
That's my point, he wasn't that good or Balt would have signed him and developed him.

From reports that I read, Baltimore had every intention of keeping him. Ireland just gave him inflated numbers and he bit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:05 am 

Steve Zissou wrote:
Saying Ellerbe has been terrible in Miami, at his unnatural position, & in a questionable Coyle system isn't very objective.

I guess something can be "unobjective" and be a fact at the same time. The fact is, his first season here, he was one of the lowest rated LBs at his position. The fact is, his second season here he missed most of the season with an injury. That's not being great or good or OK or mediocre. That's being terrible. Whatever you want to use to qualify or excuse it, that's fine. The simple fact of the matter is we have not gotten a good return on investment with Ellerbe for two seasons and we're about to either cut our losses or continue to invest almost $10 million on a player that has accomplished nothing here.

As for being out of position, even if he is moved to ILB, he will continue to be out of position because we run a 4-3 and he is a 3-4 ILB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:09 am 

Finster wrote:
I don't think the Fins are dumping these players to make some major run in FA, I think they're just trying to fix what Ireland broke, and if they're not loading up to go FA crazy, then it makes sense to keep Ellerbe, get an actual evaluation of him at OLB and if it doesn't work you can cut him next year, with less dead money.

The difference in dead money next year is negligible compared to what you save this year by cutting him.

You're talking about paying a guy almost $8.5 million when he has proven squat in Miami. And your justification is that we will take $1.4 million less in cap hit next offseason and in the process forego $5.6 million in cap savings.

The math doesn't add up. And unless he is willing to take a paycut, Ellerbe will be a cap casualty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:12 am 

jammer wrote:
DanRambo wrote:

He'd probably be pretty good as an OLB in Miami but you get Jenkins for a fraction of the cost and Miami needs to find out if Jordan, McCain or Tripp could be a long term answer on the other side.

You also get Misi a fraction of the cost and he has been Miami's most solid linebacker outside of Jenkins.

If the plan is to fill OLB with someone already on the roster, you do that with Misi and get rid of Ellerbe. Neither of them is an ILB. So we need to address ILB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:45 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:

You also get Misi a fraction of the cost and he has been Miami's most solid linebacker outside of Jenkins.

If the plan is to fill OLB with someone already on the roster, you do that with Misi and get rid of Ellerbe. Neither of them is an ILB. So we need to address ILB.

With the health of both in question, it makes me wonder how realistic the chances of Dion Jordan taking the spot are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

The difference in dead money next year is negligible compared to what you save this year by cutting him.

You're talking about paying a guy almost $8.5 million when he has proven squat in Miami. And your justification is that we will take $1.4 million less in cap hit next offseason and in the process forego $5.6 million in cap savings.

The math doesn't add up. And unless he is willing to take a paycut, Ellerbe will be a cap casualty.

There is also possibly getting something out of him, it's not just the money, the only way for this to not be a total loss is for Ellerbe to go out next year and be a quality OLB, imo his best playing in Balt was when he played OLB, because he did back up both positions.

Filling in for Suggs in 2012 Ellerbe posted 4.5 sacks in 7 games, I think Balt was trying to turn a natural OLB into a ILB and always thought Ellerbe was better on the outside.

Restructure is the best option however, I agree with that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:03 pm 

Sorry, at over $8 mil in compensation, I cut my losses at this point.

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next