All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
Just putting this as a placeholder because you know its coming. :haha

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 2974
Rich wrote:
Just putting this as a placeholder because you know its coming. :haha


Where is the placeholder for Wheeler. He has been awful since he came to Miami.

_________________
Image
Philbin's countenance exudes confidence!
1984 was so long ago...Will there ever be another rainbow?


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:07 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:12 pm
Posts: 1329
I think ellerbe is only released once hes replaced. By cutting him they dont save a ton but lose an all right player. Unles his replacement is signed or drafted theres no benefit of cutting him


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 1996
Location: Lakeland, FL
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Rich wrote:
Just putting this as a placeholder because you know its coming. :haha


Where is the placeholder for Wheeler. He has been awful since he came to Miami.


HA! Y'all are hilarious

Manhattan wrote:
I think ellerbe is only released once hes replaced. By cutting him they dont save a ton but lose an all right player. Unles his replacement is signed or drafted theres no benefit of cutting him


I agree with you Manhattan because I like his potential but you gotta admit this is a pretty dang funny post to start.

A 3 man rotation with Jenkins, Misi, & Ellerbe would be a great luxury since Jenkins is young & Misi is injury prone. I would be surprised if the FO thinks thats worth it tho

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am
Posts: 2159
Not sure he's getting released, too much of a cap hit and he may be a good OLB in a 4-3, Wheeler is the guy who is not going to be here next year, even though he doesn't save ant cap space.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:21 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 11225
Location: MA
Finster wrote:
Not sure he's getting released, too much of a cap hit and he may be a good OLB in a 4-3, Wheeler is the guy who is not going to be here next year, even though he doesn't save ant cap space.


Would Miami would rather see what they have with Jordan, McCain or Tripp on the outside for long term purposes? Since they have a TON of cap space for 2016 I'm thinking they want to see which young, homegrown talent is worth extending or investing more time in.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5495
Location: Columbia, SC
From Omar Kelly..............

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 2h2 hours ago

Cutting Dannell Ellerbe and Mike Wallace as the two pre-June 1 cuts creates $15.35 million of cap relief in 2015. Allows team to spend $25M.
0 replies 11 retweets 15 favorites

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
Finster wrote:
Not sure he's getting released, too much of a cap hit and he may be a good OLB in a 4-3, Wheeler is the guy who is not going to be here next year, even though he doesn't save ant cap space.

Wait... What?

Cutting Ellerbe saves over $5 million in cap space.

That's a lot to tie up on a guy who spent almost the entire season injured.

He's gone...

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am
Posts: 2159
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
Not sure he's getting released, too much of a cap hit and he may be a good OLB in a 4-3, Wheeler is the guy who is not going to be here next year, even though he doesn't save ant cap space.

Wait... What?

Cutting Ellerbe saves over $5 million in cap space.

That's a lot to tie up on a guy who spent almost the entire season injured.

He's gone...


Cutting Ellerbe costs over 4 mil in dead money too, also, he may be a good OLB, we don't really know right now, might as well try him this year, if that doesn't work it's easier to drop him next year, if he ends up being good, his final 2 years are cheaper, just over 6 mil.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 5690
Location: Houston, Texas
Key question though, is Ellerbe going to be back to 100% after his injuries? He had a pretty tough hip injury I believe. Sounds like between injury, cap space and an Ireland signee that he is realistically a goner.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am
Posts: 2159
Finhead34 wrote:
Key question though, is Ellerbe going to be back to 100% after his injuries? He had a pretty tough hip injury I believe. Sounds like between injury, cap space and an Ireland signee that he is realistically a goner.


I would think he's healed up, that injury happened at the beginning of the year, and cap space, he eats up almost as much as he creates, so no great bounty there, and I seriously hope Hickey isn't jettisoning players simply because Ireland picked them up, talent should be the major factor.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1830
Location: Charlotte, NC
Ellerbe's gone............it's really not much of a decision. I also anticipate Misi will be cut after we land a top ILB free agent.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:55 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
It's too bad we can't get anything out of this guy. 100% waste his time was here.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 6472
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
he was supposed to be the next Ray Lewis.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7034
FINesse wrote:
he was supposed to be the next Ray Lewis.

There is that comparison I mentioned the other day I hate when its used. Has the Next Etc... ever been the next? Anyone know?

Basically has there ever been a next type player where that player actually turned into anything close?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:43 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
The Ellerbe signing scared me because he was never a full time starter.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:09 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:12 pm
Posts: 1329
Andrew luck the next peyton manning. Calvin johnson the next randy moss. There are a lot of comparisons that went the other way tho


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
Finster wrote:
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
Not sure he's getting released, too much of a cap hit and he may be a good OLB in a 4-3, Wheeler is the guy who is not going to be here next year, even though he doesn't save ant cap space.

Wait... What?

Cutting Ellerbe saves over $5 million in cap space.

That's a lot to tie up on a guy who spent almost the entire season injured.

He's gone...


Cutting Ellerbe costs over 4 mil in dead money too, also, he may be a good OLB, we don't really know right now, might as well try him this year, if that doesn't work it's easier to drop him next year, if he ends up being good, his final 2 years are cheaper, just over 6 mil.


It doesn't make sense to eat up almost $6 mil in cap room that you can use elsewhere on a guy that has proven absolutely nothing in Miami. Getting rid of Ellerbe makes more sense than getting rid of Wheeler. They have both been terrible in Miami, but you get a lot more money back to spend by cutting Ellerbe.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 1996
Location: Lakeland, FL
Rich wrote:
It doesn't make sense to eat up almost $6 mil in cap room that you can use elsewhere on a guy that has proven absolutely nothing in Miami. Getting rid of Ellerbe makes more sense than getting rid of Wheeler. They have both been terrible in Miami, but you get a lot more money back to spend by cutting Ellerbe.


Interesting point. Tough choice but I don't think getting rid of Ellerbe makes sense because I would rather he contribute & show his worth. Wheeler has had more than enough chances to show his worth. He is worthless either way

Saying Ellerbe has been terrible in Miami, at his unnatural position, & in a questionable Coyle system isn't very objective. He has talent & the ability to contribute. As long as he is here I believe the Dolphins should take advantage, unless they have a greater plan in place.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am
Posts: 2159
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

Cutting Ellerbe costs over 4 mil in dead money too, also, he may be a good OLB, we don't really know right now, might as well try him this year, if that doesn't work it's easier to drop him next year, if he ends up being good, his final 2 years are cheaper, just over 6 mil.


It doesn't make sense to eat up almost $6 mil in cap room that you can use elsewhere on a guy that has proven absolutely nothing in Miami. Getting rid of Ellerbe makes more sense than getting rid of Wheeler. They have both been terrible in Miami, but you get a lot more money back to spend by cutting Ellerbe.


I agree with Steve, Wheeler is the useless one, it makes more sense to get rid of Wheeler because he's awful, Ellerbe wasn't as bad as Wheeler and I always thought he would be better on the outside, who knows, maybe he's real good, we don't know, but we do know Wheeler is a waste of a roster spot, it doesn't matter that there isn't much cap savings with Wheeler.

I don't think the Fins are dumping these players to make some major run in FA, I think they're just trying to fix what Ireland broke, and if they're not loading up to go FA crazy, then it makes sense to keep Ellerbe, get an actual evaluation of him at OLB and if it doesn't work you can cut him next year, with less dead money.

The whole Miami thing of late, under Ireland, has been to cut players to free up cap space and be aggressive in FA, Fin fans have come to expect the FA race that starts off every new football year, a failure plan by a failure GM to try and mitigate all his failures.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 6472
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Yes ... the next ..... I agree with all you guys.
If I remember though the Ellerbee signing came out of nowhere during that whole free agent spending frenzy when we signed Wallace , etc.
The media was saying that the Ravens did not see that coming as they were grooming him to fill Lewis' shoes because he was retiring. Then I think the Dolphin fans ran with that Lewis comparison during the euphoria of that time when all the dust settled we were assured a playoff spot & knocking NE off of their pedestal because they remained so stagnant during that period.
2 years later ... wonder how all that worked out. Oh yeah , now I know.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:38 am 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9429
When the Ray Lewis comparison came, a red flag came up. If he was that good, why would Balt let him go via free agency? Again, there are reasons that these guys are cut and not resigned.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7034
Makchell wrote:
When the Ray Lewis comparison came, a red flag came up. If he was that good, why would Balt let him go via free agency?
Sometimes its a matter of cap space and Balt. has had its purges.

Makchell wrote:
Again, there are reasons that these guys are cut and not resigned.

Ellerbe was not cut.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7034
Manhattan wrote:
Andrew luck the next peyton manning. Calvin johnson the next randy moss. There are a lot of comparisons that went the other way tho

I never heard those two.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 am 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:12 pm
Posts: 1329
Obviously. Thats why I answered your question


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7034
Manhattan wrote:
Obviously. Thats why I answered your question

I can maybe understand the CJ/Moss. Not Luck/Manning. Regardless its rare that they pan out.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am
Posts: 907
Do you think Ellerbe would have been a better player had he stayed and developed in Baltimore? I think the staff there has a good way of developing players.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:20 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9429
Do you think Ellerbe would have been a better player had he stayed and developed in Baltimore? I think the staff there has a good way of developing players

That's my point, he wasn't that good or Balt would have signed him and developed him.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:22 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9429
Sometimes its a matter of cap space and Balt. has had its purges.

Of course there are purges, but I don't believe that was the case with Elberte.


Ellerbe was not cut


I know that, I said "guys", meaning other free agents.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:25 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 11225
Location: MA
DanRambo wrote:
Do you think Ellerbe would have been a better player had he stayed and developed in Baltimore? I think the staff there has a good way of developing players.


He'd probably be pretty good as an OLB in Miami but you get Jenkins for a fraction of the cost and Miami needs to find out if Jordan, McCain or Tripp could be a long term answer on the other side.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:23 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:12 pm
Posts: 1329
Ellerbe is an ilb being asked to play mlb. Coyle cant figure out what to do with players and its frustrating but to say a player isnt any good after one season with a coach who plays guys out of position is silly
Getting another ilb (david harris) after having two other fail (dansby, ellerbe) to play mlb in a 43 doesnt seem to be the answe. In a 34 you need a NT which we dont have and in a 43 you need a mlb that cang o sideline to sideline which we dont have. So get one or the other


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:37 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
I think he's a 34 linebacker and thats the problem.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:14 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:12 pm
Posts: 1329
Thats what i mean.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 5676
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Makchell wrote:
That's my point, he wasn't that good or Balt would have signed him and developed him.


From reports that I read, Baltimore had every intention of keeping him. Ireland just gave him inflated numbers and he bit.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
Steve Zissou wrote:
Saying Ellerbe has been terrible in Miami, at his unnatural position, & in a questionable Coyle system isn't very objective.


I guess something can be "unobjective" and be a fact at the same time. The fact is, his first season here, he was one of the lowest rated LBs at his position. The fact is, his second season here he missed most of the season with an injury. That's not being great or good or OK or mediocre. That's being terrible. Whatever you want to use to qualify or excuse it, that's fine. The simple fact of the matter is we have not gotten a good return on investment with Ellerbe for two seasons and we're about to either cut our losses or continue to invest almost $10 million on a player that has accomplished nothing here.

As for being out of position, even if he is moved to ILB, he will continue to be out of position because we run a 4-3 and he is a 3-4 ILB.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
Finster wrote:
I don't think the Fins are dumping these players to make some major run in FA, I think they're just trying to fix what Ireland broke, and if they're not loading up to go FA crazy, then it makes sense to keep Ellerbe, get an actual evaluation of him at OLB and if it doesn't work you can cut him next year, with less dead money.


The difference in dead money next year is negligible compared to what you save this year by cutting him.

You're talking about paying a guy almost $8.5 million when he has proven squat in Miami. And your justification is that we will take $1.4 million less in cap hit next offseason and in the process forego $5.6 million in cap savings.

The math doesn't add up. And unless he is willing to take a paycut, Ellerbe will be a cap casualty.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
jammer wrote:
DanRambo wrote:
Do you think Ellerbe would have been a better player had he stayed and developed in Baltimore? I think the staff there has a good way of developing players.


He'd probably be pretty good as an OLB in Miami but you get Jenkins for a fraction of the cost and Miami needs to find out if Jordan, McCain or Tripp could be a long term answer on the other side.


You also get Misi a fraction of the cost and he has been Miami's most solid linebacker outside of Jenkins.

If the plan is to fill OLB with someone already on the roster, you do that with Misi and get rid of Ellerbe. Neither of them is an ILB. So we need to address ILB.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am
Posts: 907
Rich wrote:

You also get Misi a fraction of the cost and he has been Miami's most solid linebacker outside of Jenkins.

If the plan is to fill OLB with someone already on the roster, you do that with Misi and get rid of Ellerbe. Neither of them is an ILB. So we need to address ILB.




With the health of both in question, it makes me wonder how realistic the chances of Dion Jordan taking the spot are.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am
Posts: 2159
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
I don't think the Fins are dumping these players to make some major run in FA, I think they're just trying to fix what Ireland broke, and if they're not loading up to go FA crazy, then it makes sense to keep Ellerbe, get an actual evaluation of him at OLB and if it doesn't work you can cut him next year, with less dead money.


The difference in dead money next year is negligible compared to what you save this year by cutting him.

You're talking about paying a guy almost $8.5 million when he has proven squat in Miami. And your justification is that we will take $1.4 million less in cap hit next offseason and in the process forego $5.6 million in cap savings.

The math doesn't add up. And unless he is willing to take a paycut, Ellerbe will be a cap casualty.


There is also possibly getting something out of him, it's not just the money, the only way for this to not be a total loss is for Ellerbe to go out next year and be a quality OLB, imo his best playing in Balt was when he played OLB, because he did back up both positions.

Filling in for Suggs in 2012 Ellerbe posted 4.5 sacks in 7 games, I think Balt was trying to turn a natural OLB into a ILB and always thought Ellerbe was better on the outside.

Restructure is the best option however, I agree with that.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
Sorry, at over $8 mil in compensation, I cut my losses at this point.

_________________
Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r