Brian Hartline
Brandon Gibson
Nate Garner
Cortland Finnegan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:23 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Monday 2 p.m. update: The Dolphins created an additional $7.1 million in cap space this afternoon by releasing cornerback Cortland Finnegan and offensive lineman Nate Garner.

The Dolphins are determined to upgrade over Finnegan, whose release saves the Dolphins $5.5 million in cap space.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Post subject: Re: Cut List
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:52 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
(USA Today) Free-agent WR Brian Hartline (Dolphins) could return to the Miami Dolphins, as they remain interested in bringing him back. However, he's already had meetings with the Cleveland Browns and Chicago Bears, and he's expected to make a decision soon.

Miami just cannot quit him. There is always room for a worthless WR in Miami.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:36 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
There is always room for a worthless WR in Miami.

I am make no secret that I am a Brian Hartline fan, BUT, I see him as a 4th/5th wide out option and personally I think having a back up role player that does have some chemistry is not a bad thing for Tannehill. The main focus though should be the first 3-4 starting roles in front.

However, the above being said, I agree that if he were to even come back, it should be in a limited role, so more than likely he has been told that and is seeking to land elsewhere to have a shot at more playing time. The guy struggled last year, no question, but even though he was never an end zone threat, two 1,000 yard seasons previous was at least respectable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:49 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

LOL, Scot, you really don't like Hartline do you? I can't blame you, I don't like him as a person or player, I wish he would just fade away...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:26 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:
LOL, Scot, you really don't like Hartline do you? I can't blame you, I don't like him as a person or player, I wish he would just fade away...

Know nothing about his person, but as a player he 100% blows. Always has. Hated the selection of him 6 yrs ago.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:36 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Know nothing about his person, but as a player he 100% blows. Always has. Hated the selection of him 6 yrs ago.

He was a good 4th round pick, the real problem was crowbarring him into the offense and then paying him twice what he's worth.

He's a very capable 3rd or 4th WR.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Read a tweet from Omar Kelly that Miami really likes Matt Hazel and that he really showed a good grasp of the offense by the end of the season. Its why he was promoted to the 53. I think he was drafted to be Hartline's replacement and succeeded. Don't expect Hartline back.

I think Miami will only address WR in free agency if they move on from Wallace. Otherwise I expect them to draft two WRs in April.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:06 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Read a tweet from Omar Kelly that Miami really likes Matt Hazel and that he really showed a good grasp of the offense by the end of the season. Its why he was promoted to the 53. I think he was drafted to be Hartline's replacement and succeeded. Don't expect Hartline back.

I think Miami will only address WR in free agency if they move on from Wallace. Otherwise I expect them to draft two WRs in April.

That would be sweet if Hazel becomes a player. Miami needs to hit on some late Rd. picks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:09 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

They need to hit earlier too! You're right, hopefully Hazel pans out,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:39 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Hartline is visiting the Texans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:42 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I think Rishard Matthews would be a success if given the opportunity. In limited action he has made plays. Maybe defenses figure him out but at least give him a shot in a contract year.

The hope is that Miami is fielding a very young, cheap and successful WR group in 2016.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:57 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I think Rishard Matthews would be a success if given the opportunity. In limited action he has made plays. Maybe defenses figure him out but at least give him a shot in a contract year.

The hope is that Miami is fielding a very young, cheap and successful WR group in 2016.

I may think more of him than others, but I expect him to supplant Hartline last yr. If Philbin did not play him because of some off field locker room habits & it went the whole yr. Then I have to question Philbin ability to get the best out of players.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:16 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Back to the cut list, we all pretty much know Ellerbe and Wheeler will be post June 1 cuts. Its still possible Wallace, S. Smith, Starks or Mitchell and Sturgis could be on the chopping block.

As I said in another thread, I think Wallace's fate rests on what Miami thinks they can get on Tuesday. I believe Marshall to the Jets just set the FA price at about $7 million - also considering the current supply plus the quality of WR draft prospects.

If Suh is signed I think Starks is gone. Mitchell, while not great, is younger, slightly cheaper and probably plays better next to Suh.

If Miami opts for a G in free agency then I think the Smith experiment ends. Jason Fox's re-signing all but points to Dallas Thomas being a backup guard and at a fraction of Smith's cost.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:32 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Just remember that the money saved on post June 1 cuts can't be used until June 2 or later. Its money that could be used for signing draft choices or in season injury replacements. Here is an interesting article that explains it in detail.

"The basic idea is that a team can release a player, who may actually cost more to cut than to keep, with a way to spread the dead money cap hit across multiple years. Teams can wait until June 2 (thus, the "post" June 1 designation) to release a player, but that would mean the player would miss the majority of the free agent spending sprees that happen in the spring. To try to help with that issue, the NFL and the NFL Players Association collectively bargained two June 1 designations. Twice during the offseason, a team can release a player designated as a post-June 1 cut, which gives the team the savings the two-year dead money assistance, while allowing the player to hit free agency in March.

Everything sounds perfect for both player and team.

But, that's where the post-June 1 designation offers a false promise. It does save a team money - just not when they would want it. The player is still carried on the books until June 2. In other words, there is no savings for the team during free agency. They do not see salary cap relief until they pass the June 1 mark."
http://www.thephinsider.com/2015/2/18/8 ... xplanation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
Just remember that the money saved on post June 1 cuts can't be used until June 2 or later. Its money that could be used for signing draft choices or in season injury replacements. Here is an interesting article that explains it in detail.

"The basic idea is that a team can release a player, who may actually cost more to cut than to keep, with a way to spread the dead money cap hit across multiple years. Teams can wait until June 2 (thus, the "post" June 1 designation) to release a player, but that would mean the player would miss the majority of the free agent spending sprees that happen in the spring. To try to help with that issue, the NFL and the NFL Players Association collectively bargained two June 1 designations. Twice during the offseason, a team can release a player designated as a post-June 1 cut, which gives the team the savings the two-year dead money assistance, while allowing the player to hit free agency in March.

Everything sounds perfect for both player and team.

But, that's where the post-June 1 designation offers a false promise. It does save a team money - just not when they would want it. The player is still carried on the books until June 2. In other words, there is no savings for the team during free agency. They do not see salary cap relief until they pass the June 1 mark."
http://www.thephinsider.com/2015/2/18/8 ... xplanation

Where this comes into play Bobby is what I call, the 2nd period of FA, the TC cut list, every year there are good players who end up on those cut lists in Aug.

I personally think the Fins are not looking to spread the money out over 2 years, I think they're trying to kill off these bad money contracts, not trying to stretch out these bad money contracts, but this is just imo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:25 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I guess the point I am making is that it seems to only make sense to cut Wallace (if Wallace is to be released this year) and Ellerbe as the 2 post June 1 designations that are allowed. And that money wouldn't be freed up to sign new free agents in March and April.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:05 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Praise the Lord, we can add Wheeler to this list

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12439 ... ip-wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:08 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

marc23 wrote:

They designated Wheeler as a 6/1 cut. So that means they only have 1 more 6/1 cut left. That means either Wallace or Ellerbe is safe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:16 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

bobby0112 wrote:
marc23 wrote:

They designated Wheeler as a 6/1 cut. So that means they only have 1 more 6/1 cut left. That means either Wallace or Ellerbe is safe.

Not sure on that. Wallace could still be traded if teams balk at the demands of FA WRs, or Miami could still cut him if they feel they can get someone cheaper.

I think Ellerbe and Wheeler were always the June 1 cuts, Wallace was always a matter of finding someone who can play for cheaper yet produce reasonably close numbers.

You might be right though. None of us know for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:17 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

bobby0112 wrote:

Crap. 2 yrs now of Wheeler taking up cap space while not playing for the team. Lovely, just lovely. Hate the NFL allows teams to use future cap space for cutting players.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ellerbe is gone, Wheeler will be soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:00 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Ellerbe is gone, Wheeler will be soon.

Wheeler was designated as a 6/1 release today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:50 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wheeler is cut 6/1.....that is addition by subtraction! :fart:

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]