All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
k-dash wrote:
I can't blame FINesse for being skeptical of the results of our free agent signings, can you, Rich? I'm not arguing that Suh isn't a good signing. Just sympathetic given our front office's past success.

My response to him had to do with him listing RB as a position worth overspending for. You can't blame me for being skeptical of an opinion that includes RB as a position worth overspending for.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:09 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 3147
Rich wrote:
k-dash wrote:
I can't blame FINesse for being skeptical of the results of our free agent signings, can you, Rich? I'm not arguing that Suh isn't a good signing. Just sympathetic given our front office's past success.

My response to him had to do with him listing RB as a position worth overspending for. You can't blame me for being skeptical of an opinion that includes RB as a position worth overspending for.


I should know better. I really should, but...

Playing devil's advocate, then, would you be willing to "overspend" for Adrian Peterson if he were available? That's not an inconceivable situation. Also, did FINesse not say "maybe" RB, which carries with it the implied "maybe not" as well? You seem to be trying to pick out minutia to find something to disagree with, and thereby discredit his whole point, which you deftly dodged in my comment.

I believe the point was (correct me if I'm wrong, FINesse) that our front office has done little to nothing to inspire faith over the past few decades, so greeting this move as a slam dunk success feels a little counter-intuitive.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:39 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
How many times have I heard that you win in the trenches?

Mak, you and I always agreed that pass rush is how you beat Brady and make the rest of your defense look great. We could be a wrecking crew upfront this year.


Last edited by swerve13 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:41 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
Hell no I would never spend alot on a runningback. They don't impact the game enough anymore and there are plenty of them. How many Ndamakung Suh's are walking the planet?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:44 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
You can't discredit everything this front office has done. That Brandon Albert signing was working out very well until he got hurt. I believe we had one of the best lines in the league up until that point. They are signing some excellent players of late and drafted a few nice ones as well.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:45 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9429
Mak, you and I always agreed that pass rush is how you beat Brady and make the rest of your defense look great. We could be a wrecking crew upfront this year.

Trenches are important for sure. I'm just nervous and skeptical regarding the money. We haven't seen the contract yet, so maybe it's cap friendly the way it's worded. He's a hell of a player, but I've seen big money free agents taper off after a huge contract.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9429
I can't blame FINesse for being skeptical of the results of our free agent signings, can you, Rich? I'm not arguing that Suh isn't a good signing. Just sympathetic given our front office's past success


:yay:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9429
I should know better. I really should, but

lol! yep, if not, your opinion gets dissected and the back and forth goes on and on. Or it is called "argument doesn't make sense". Post and move on.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:52 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 11225
Location: MA
Makchell wrote:
Mak, you and I always agreed that pass rush is how you beat Brady and make the rest of your defense look great. We could be a wrecking crew upfront this year.

Trenches are important for sure. I'm just nervous and skeptical regarding the money. We haven't seen the contract yet, so maybe it's cap friendly the way it's worded. He's a hell of a player, but I've seen big money free agents taper off after a huge contract.


Don't worry about the money. Miami's books will be fine after this year. The big question revolves around the drafted talent. Will these young, inexpensive guys develop? If they don't Miami continues to be a mediocre team with a few really good players.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:53 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9429
That's the key Jam.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 3147
swerve13 wrote:
You can't discredit everything this front office has done. That Brandon Albert signing was working out very well until he got hurt. I believe we had one of the best lines in the league up until that point. They are signing some excellent players of late and drafted a few nice ones as well.


You are right. It's just that decades of mediocrity tend to jade one's perspective a bit. I do believe Hickey has done a lot of good things. I hope to see him pull a ILB, S and CB out of his hat this free agency, and then score big with a big-bodied WR and OL help in the draft, as well as a developmental QB. Oh, and throw in a TE to develop and maybe a bigger-bodied RB and that will just about do it. Is that asking too much?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:11 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12575
Location: Lancaster, PA
We'll be alright K-dash. Every team has holes/weaknesses. Every single one.
You just have to have enough strengths to win most of your games.
I don't expect us to fill every hole with a pro bowl stud.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
k-dash wrote:
I should know better. I really should, but...

Playing devil's advocate, then, would you be willing to "overspend" for Adrian Peterson if he were available? That's not an inconceivable situation. Also, did FINesse not say "maybe" RB, which carries with it the implied "maybe not" as well? You seem to be trying to pick out minutia to find something to disagree with, and thereby discredit his whole point, which you deftly dodged in my comment.

I believe the point was (correct me if I'm wrong, FINesse) that our front office has done little to nothing to inspire faith over the past few decades, so greeting this move as a slam dunk success feels a little counter-intuitive.


I'm not deftly dodging anything. You're reading something in my response to FiNesse that isn't there.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
Makchell wrote:
I should know better. I really should, but

lol! yep, if not, your opinion gets dissected and the back and forth goes on and on. Or it is called "argument doesn't make sense". Post and move on.


That's ok. You personally attack people all the time but can't handle people disagreeing with your posts.

It's all good.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
Makchell wrote:
Mak, you and I always agreed that pass rush is how you beat Brady and make the rest of your defense look great. We could be a wrecking crew upfront this year.

Trenches are important for sure. I'm just nervous and skeptical regarding the money. We haven't seen the contract yet, so maybe it's cap friendly the way it's worded. He's a hell of a player, but I've seen big money free agents taper off after a huge contract.


He was already making big bucks. This isn't like a minimum player all of a sudden getting a bunch of money.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5495
Location: Columbia, SC
Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:
Mak, you and I always agreed that pass rush is how you beat Brady and make the rest of your defense look great. We could be a wrecking crew upfront this year.

Trenches are important for sure. I'm just nervous and skeptical regarding the money. We haven't seen the contract yet, so maybe it's cap friendly the way it's worded. He's a hell of a player, but I've seen big money free agents taper off after a huge contract.


He was already making big bucks. This isn't like a minimum player all of a sudden getting a bunch of money.



That seems to be the thing people are overlooking. Suh was ALREADY making over 12 mill/per year.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:37 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9429
you and your personal attacks "all the time" You and your hypocrisy amazes me...... :hithead:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:19 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 3147
Rich wrote:
k-dash wrote:
I should know better. I really should, but...

Playing devil's advocate, then, would you be willing to "overspend" for Adrian Peterson if he were available? That's not an inconceivable situation. Also, did FINesse not say "maybe" RB, which carries with it the implied "maybe not" as well? You seem to be trying to pick out minutia to find something to disagree with, and thereby discredit his whole point, which you deftly dodged in my comment.

I believe the point was (correct me if I'm wrong, FINesse) that our front office has done little to nothing to inspire faith over the past few decades, so greeting this move as a slam dunk success feels a little counter-intuitive.


I'm not deftly dodging anything. You're reading something in my response to FiNesse that isn't there.


That's just it... I'm not reading anything that responds to the actual point at hand, which is that Miami's record with free agent signings is less than stellar, thereby causing a sense of insecurity in us long-time fans. Unless I misread, your responses have aimed for the 2 and 10 pins, while ignoring the headpin. You get a couple of points that way, I guess. Look, Rich, I've been around this site for a long time and I know your strengths. I don't mean to antagonize you, or anyone. Just trying to say that being a little apprehensive of our March successes has some historical merit.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:20 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 3147
And by the way, how about the AP scenario? Responde sil vous plait?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
k-dash wrote:
That's just it... I'm not reading anything that responds to the actual point at hand, which is that Miami's record with free agent signings is less than stellar, thereby causing a sense of insecurity in us long-time fans. Unless I misread, your responses have aimed for the 2 and 10 pins, while ignoring the headpin. You get a couple of points that way, I guess. Look, Rich, I've been around this site for a long time and I know your strengths. I don't mean to antagonize you, or anyone. Just trying to say that being a little apprehensive of our March successes has some historical merit.


Well if you read the original post in this thread that I started, I stated:

Quote:
A lot of people are chirping about spending big money in free agency again. And I get it, we spent big money on Mike Wallace and he hasn't played up to his contract. We spent big money on Albert and he got injured. Yes, generally players are available in free agency because the teams they were on didn't value them as much.


So I answered your question before you even asked. I'm not sure why I would need to keep restating my position. And I am not looking to score points. I am questioning why someone would put RB up there with QB and WR as a position to overspend in a pass happy league. Pass happy = QB, WR, LT and on defense, DL and CB.

I'm willing to overspend (this is a relative term since we'd probably be spending just as much to keep a player we drafted if he were the caliber of Suh) to get more pressure on the quarterback and fix our broken run defense that allowed over 900 yards rushing in the last 6 games and over 500 yards rushing the last four (we went 1-3 in those games). Here is a shot to do both in one fell swoop.

As for Adrian Peterson, he is a special talent, just like Suh, but plays a position with a very short shelf life and less value, unlike Suh. Peterson is 29, he has 7 full seasons on those legs, including a very nasty knee injury. At this point, he is on borrowed time.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
Makchell wrote:
you and your personal attacks "all the time" You and your hypocrisy amazes me...... :hithead:


I'll take this to PM. Something you as the lead moderator on these forums should have done a while ago.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26663
Location: Miami, FL
phinsfansc wrote:
That seems to be the thing people are overlooking. Suh was ALREADY making over 12 mill/per year.


It's not the only thing people are overlooking when it comes to this signing.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 17844
Location: Raleigh, NC
FINesse wrote:
Just an honest opinion here. Yes the market dictates you overpay for players. I just would hold that to a QB , and maybe a RB and WR. Not a DT.


I would agree with you, but Suh and Watt are so good that they make others around them better. I hate paying so much for him, but this is smart money spent.

_________________
Follow me on Facebook - Phinfever - Miami Dolphins Fan Site @BigDavePhinfever

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever


Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 5690
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
It's not the only thing people are overlooking when it comes to this signing.


Ha! The folks on Facebook still didn't get it!


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r