Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:42 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

k-dash wrote:
I can't blame FINesse for being skeptical of the results of our free agent signings, can you, Rich? I'm not arguing that Suh isn't a good signing. Just sympathetic given our front office's past success.

My response to him had to do with him listing RB as a position worth overspending for. You can't blame me for being skeptical of an opinion that includes RB as a position worth overspending for.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:09 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Rich wrote:
k-dash wrote:
I can't blame FINesse for being skeptical of the results of our free agent signings, can you, Rich? I'm not arguing that Suh isn't a good signing. Just sympathetic given our front office's past success.

My response to him had to do with him listing RB as a position worth overspending for. You can't blame me for being skeptical of an opinion that includes RB as a position worth overspending for.

I should know better. I really should, but...

Playing devil's advocate, then, would you be willing to "overspend" for Adrian Peterson if he were available? That's not an inconceivable situation. Also, did FINesse not say "maybe" RB, which carries with it the implied "maybe not" as well? You seem to be trying to pick out minutia to find something to disagree with, and thereby discredit his whole point, which you deftly dodged in my comment.

I believe the point was (correct me if I'm wrong, FINesse) that our front office has done little to nothing to inspire faith over the past few decades, so greeting this move as a slam dunk success feels a little counter-intuitive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:39 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

How many times have I heard that you win in the trenches?

Mak, you and I always agreed that pass rush is how you beat Brady and make the rest of your defense look great. We could be a wrecking crew upfront this year.

Last edited by swerve13 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:41 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Hell no I would never spend alot on a runningback. They don't impact the game enough anymore and there are plenty of them. How many Ndamakung Suh's are walking the planet?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:44 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

You can't discredit everything this front office has done. That Brandon Albert signing was working out very well until he got hurt. I believe we had one of the best lines in the league up until that point. They are signing some excellent players of late and drafted a few nice ones as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:45 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mak, you and I always agreed that pass rush is how you beat Brady and make the rest of your defense look great. We could be a wrecking crew upfront this year.

Trenches are important for sure. I'm just nervous and skeptical regarding the money. We haven't seen the contract yet, so maybe it's cap friendly the way it's worded. He's a hell of a player, but I've seen big money free agents taper off after a huge contract.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I can't blame FINesse for being skeptical of the results of our free agent signings, can you, Rich? I'm not arguing that Suh isn't a good signing. Just sympathetic given our front office's past success

:yay:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I should know better. I really should, but

lol! yep, if not, your opinion gets dissected and the back and forth goes on and on. Or it is called "argument doesn't make sense". Post and move on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:52 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:

Trenches are important for sure. I'm just nervous and skeptical regarding the money. We haven't seen the contract yet, so maybe it's cap friendly the way it's worded. He's a hell of a player, but I've seen big money free agents taper off after a huge contract.

Don't worry about the money. Miami's books will be fine after this year. The big question revolves around the drafted talent. Will these young, inexpensive guys develop? If they don't Miami continues to be a mediocre team with a few really good players.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:53 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That's the key Jam.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm 

swerve13 wrote:
You can't discredit everything this front office has done. That Brandon Albert signing was working out very well until he got hurt. I believe we had one of the best lines in the league up until that point. They are signing some excellent players of late and drafted a few nice ones as well.

You are right. It's just that decades of mediocrity tend to jade one's perspective a bit. I do believe Hickey has done a lot of good things. I hope to see him pull a ILB, S and CB out of his hat this free agency, and then score big with a big-bodied WR and OL help in the draft, as well as a developmental QB. Oh, and throw in a TE to develop and maybe a bigger-bodied RB and that will just about do it. Is that asking too much?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:11 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

We'll be alright K-dash. Every team has holes/weaknesses. Every single one.
You just have to have enough strengths to win most of your games.
I don't expect us to fill every hole with a pro bowl stud.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:19 pm 

k-dash wrote:

Playing devil's advocate, then, would you be willing to "overspend" for Adrian Peterson if he were available? That's not an inconceivable situation. Also, did FINesse not say "maybe" RB, which carries with it the implied "maybe not" as well? You seem to be trying to pick out minutia to find something to disagree with, and thereby discredit his whole point, which you deftly dodged in my comment.

I believe the point was (correct me if I'm wrong, FINesse) that our front office has done little to nothing to inspire faith over the past few decades, so greeting this move as a slam dunk success feels a little counter-intuitive.

I'm not deftly dodging anything. You're reading something in my response to FiNesse that isn't there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:20 pm 

Makchell wrote:
I should know better. I really should, but

lol! yep, if not, your opinion gets dissected and the back and forth goes on and on. Or it is called "argument doesn't make sense". Post and move on.

That's ok. You personally attack people all the time but can't handle people disagreeing with your posts.

It's all good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:21 pm 

Makchell wrote:

He was already making big bucks. This isn't like a minimum player all of a sudden getting a bunch of money.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

He was already making big bucks. This isn't like a minimum player all of a sudden getting a bunch of money.

That seems to be the thing people are overlooking. Suh was ALREADY making over 12 mill/per year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:37 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

you and your personal attacks "all the time" You and your hypocrisy amazes me...... :hithead:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
k-dash wrote:

I'm not deftly dodging anything. You're reading something in my response to FiNesse that isn't there.

That's just it... I'm not reading anything that responds to the actual point at hand, which is that Miami's record with free agent signings is less than stellar, thereby causing a sense of insecurity in us long-time fans. Unless I misread, your responses have aimed for the 2 and 10 pins, while ignoring the headpin. You get a couple of points that way, I guess. Look, Rich, I've been around this site for a long time and I know your strengths. I don't mean to antagonize you, or anyone. Just trying to say that being a little apprehensive of our March successes has some historical merit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:20 pm 

And by the way, how about the AP scenario? Responde sil vous plait?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:49 am 

k-dash wrote:
That's just it... I'm not reading anything that responds to the actual point at hand, which is that Miami's record with free agent signings is less than stellar, thereby causing a sense of insecurity in us long-time fans. Unless I misread, your responses have aimed for the 2 and 10 pins, while ignoring the headpin. You get a couple of points that way, I guess. Look, Rich, I've been around this site for a long time and I know your strengths. I don't mean to antagonize you, or anyone. Just trying to say that being a little apprehensive of our March successes has some historical merit.

Well if you read the original post in this thread that I started, I stated:

Quote:
A lot of people are chirping about spending big money in free agency again. And I get it, we spent big money on Mike Wallace and he hasn't played up to his contract. We spent big money on Albert and he got injured. Yes, generally players are available in free agency because the teams they were on didn't value them as much.

So I answered your question before you even asked. I'm not sure why I would need to keep restating my position. And I am not looking to score points. I am questioning why someone would put RB up there with QB and WR as a position to overspend in a pass happy league. Pass happy = QB, WR, LT and on defense, DL and CB.

I'm willing to overspend (this is a relative term since we'd probably be spending just as much to keep a player we drafted if he were the caliber of Suh) to get more pressure on the quarterback and fix our broken run defense that allowed over 900 yards rushing in the last 6 games and over 500 yards rushing the last four (we went 1-3 in those games). Here is a shot to do both in one fell swoop.

As for Adrian Peterson, he is a special talent, just like Suh, but plays a position with a very short shelf life and less value, unlike Suh. Peterson is 29, he has 7 full seasons on those legs, including a very nasty knee injury. At this point, he is on borrowed time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:52 am 

Makchell wrote:
you and your personal attacks "all the time" You and your hypocrisy amazes me...... :hithead:

I'll take this to PM. Something you as the lead moderator on these forums should have done a while ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:01 am 

phinsfansc wrote:
That seems to be the thing people are overlooking. Suh was ALREADY making over 12 mill/per year.

It's not the only thing people are overlooking when it comes to this signing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:
Just an honest opinion here. Yes the market dictates you overpay for players. I just would hold that to a QB , and maybe a RB and WR. Not a DT.

I would agree with you, but Suh and Watt are so good that they make others around them better. I hate paying so much for him, but this is smart money spent.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
It's not the only thing people are overlooking when it comes to this signing.

Ha! The folks on Facebook still didn't get it!

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2