All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I think it could be difficult to keep Clay now after that deal we just gave to Suh.
We still have Dion Sims who I think can step up this year and produce around 500 yards and 4 or 5 touchdowns. He has the size and speed for it. Sims is our more traditional tight end. Clay is our smaller/athletic H-back who collects alot of underneath passes and can run after the catch the way Chris Cooley used to do for Washington.

Here is a small list of possible replacements I think we could add through the draft.
These guys are all H-back/'move' tight ends that are similar players to Clay.
Pruitt and Saxton are my 2 favorites from this group.

MyCole Pruitt, Southern Illinois 6'2 250lbs

Southern Illinois senior TE MyCole Pruitt "has starter potential down the road with some seasoning," according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.
"A hybrid tight end prospect, Pruitt looks more like a bulky wideout with his thick frame and foot quickness. He needs to refine his route-running and play more controlled, but has starter potential down the road with some seasoning," Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-3, 250-pounder caught 81 passes for 861 yards and 13 touchdowns. With the tight end draft class on the weak side, Pruitt could make a splash in April. Jan 8 - 4:09 PM
Source: CBS Sports

Southern Illinois TE MyCole Pruitt "was able to take advantage of the down [TE] group" at the combine, wrote ESPN's Todd McShay.
The 6-foot-2, 250-pounder has long arms (33 1/2) and big hands (10 1/4). "[Pruitt] really stood out during the testing drills," McShay wrote. "His 4.58 40 and 38-inch vertical led the group, and he posted the fourth-best broad jump at 9-10. We have yet to do a full evaluation on Pruitt, but he certainly helped gain some attention Friday by putting up the best numbers among tight ends." McShay will see a nice pair of mitts on tape. Pruitt caught 81 passes for 861 yards and 13 touchdowns last season. Feb 22 - 10:59 PM
Source: ESPN Insider

Projected 3rd or 4th round

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Wes Saxton, South Alabama 6'3 250lbs

South Alabama senior TE Wes Saxton "fits the profile of what NFL teams are looking for in a tight end these days," wrote NFL Media analyst Charles Davis.
"He looks like a wide receiver playing tight end, and he runs like one, too," Davis wrote. "Saxton is a threat downfield, but he's not going to help much as a blocker." On that last point, Saxton made a point to tell the media this week that he is a willing blocker. Jan 17 - 6:08 PM
Source: NFL.com

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis says South Alabama senior TE Wes Saxton is a "'move' tight end who can get downfield."
"Saxton (6-4, 240) was an underutilized weapon for the Jaguars this season, finishing with just 20 receptions and no TDs," wrote College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin. In Saxton's junior season, he hauled in 50 receptions for 635 yards averaging 12.7 yards a carry. "Saxton -- who played with Jameis Winston in high school in Hueytown, Ala. -- needs to improve his concentration level and skills as a blocker, but his athleticism makes him a likely third-day target," wrote Huguenin. "He's a mismatch nightmare and, yes, I think he needs to mature on the field in some areas, but I could easily make the argument he has the most upside of any senior at his position this year," one AFC East scout said earlier this season. Jan 14 - 8:35 PM

Projected 4th or 5th round

Nick O'Leary, Florida St. 6'3 252lbs

Florida State TE Nick O'Leary's 4.93 clocking in the forty was "disappointing," NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock said.
Mayock expected the 2014 Mackey Award (the nation's top college tight end) winner to run in the 4.7/4.75 range. "That's significantly slower than I expected," Mayock said of O'Leary's showing. O'Leary measures only 6-foot-3, 252 pounds, and he isn't much of a blocker, so his forty time is problematic to his stock. Fortunately, Mayock calls O'Leary a "natural hands catcher" and a good route runner. The question remains: Can he create separation from NFL defenders? Feb 21 - 10:36 PM

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah believes FSU TE Nick O'Leary is a fourth- or fifth-round value.
He suggests O'Leary might be a fit for the Falcons in that area. "Catches everything, he's very instinctive," Jeremiah says. "Didn't run all that fast at the Combine, that doesn't bother me." Tight end was a waste for the Falcons after the team lost Tony Gonzalez to retirement. Expect the position to be targeted in free agency and the draft. Mar 4 - 9:46 AM

Projected 5th or 6th round

Gerald Christian, Louisville 6'3 244lbs

Louisville redshirt senior TE Gerald Christian "doesn't have ideal size and needs to be a more consistent finisher, but the natural talent shines," according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.
"A former Florida blue-chip recruit, Christian is athletic and fluid for the position with a smooth release off the line of scrimmage and easy route quickness. He doesn't have ideal size and needs to be a more consistent finisher, but the natural talent shines," Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-3, 244-pound Christian has the ability to line up inline, as a slot receiver and in the backfield, as well. The Cardinals prospect recorded 32 receptions for 384 yards, with five touchdowns on the season. Jan 8 - 4:00 PM

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Louisville redshirt senior TE Gerald Christian "has the athleticism to get open and create as a ballcarrier."
"An underrated tight end prospect, Christian isn't one of the main weapons in the Bobby Petrino's offense at Louisville, but when he has the athleticism to get open and create as a ballcarrier," Brugler wrote. The former Florida transfer has 22 receptions for 256 yards and three touchdowns this season. The 6-foot-3, 244-pound Christian has the ability to line up inline, as a slot receiver and in the backfield, as well. Brugler adds that Christian "has an athletic body type with a smooth release off the line of scrimmage, the route speed to challenge linebackers in coverage and the toughness to keep his feet after contact." Thu, Oct 30, 2014 04:00:00 PM

Projected 7th round or UDFA

Malcolm Johnson, Mississippi St. 6'2 233lbs

Mississippi State senior FB/TE/H-back Malcolm Johnson "will have to make an NFL team based on his jack-of-all-trades game."
"He possesses a strong, well-built frame and sticky hands to make tough grabs. He does not, however, possess the explosive start off the snap or straight-line speed to generate consistent separation and therefore will have to make an NFL team based on his jack-of-all-trades game," Rang wrote. The 6-foot-2, 231 pound Johnson has spent time at both receiver and tight end as a Bulldog, and "possesses good hands and a knack for the big play," Rang added. If scouts are looking for a versatile pass catcher at the next level, Johnson could be an intriguing option. Thu, Aug 21, 2014 11:34:00 AM

Mississippi State FB/TE/H-back Malcolm Johnson "drew rave reviews from scouts" at Wednesday's pro day, noted TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline.
"The senior, who posted 28 receptions for 380 yards and three scores in 2014, looked terrific catching the ball and had some drawing comparisons to 9-year veteran Delanie Walker," Pauline wrote. The 6-foot-2, 231-pound Johnson spent time at both receiver and tight end as a Bulldog. CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote over the summer that Johnson "possesses good hands and a knack for the big play." Mar 4 - 11:32 PM
Source: Walter Football

Projected UDFA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:45 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FA wise. I would like for Miami to bring in Robert Housler, if they lose Clay. With the signing of Suh, they need a cheap & potentially productive player.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:48 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Maybe Clay gives us the home team discount? Cannot use the excuse wants to play for a contender anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:10 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Jesse James isn't an h-back like these other guys but would not mind drafting him either. He's built similarly to Gronk.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:16 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Swerve I think you're right that Sim's could be the answer next year. I'm not sure the team needs another H-back to replace Clay tho. He's truly a unique talent but unless the offense is going to commit to using him then he really becomes marginal. I'm not sure Lazor ever showed any intention of fully utilizing Clay.

What round do you think Miami should draft a TE in, if Clay's gone?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Preferably round 4 or 5...but James or Pruitt would be worth a 3rd round pick.
Lazor employs tight ends heavily in his system. Tight ends are so important when you have a QB like Tannehill whose strength is accurate intermediate passing. If Clay leaves he will need to be replaced through free agency or the draft.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:36 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Will be interesting to see what type of offer Buffalo makes. Gerald Christian is a kid I like a lot in the mid rounds out of Louisville. Nice size, nice speed and very athletic.

Love Nick O'Leary, but he is not a burner and ran a slower than expected time at the combine. But he has very good hands and is a solid route runner. He is a mid round draft pick as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Philbin isn't one to push a rookie TE into a big role. What is scary is I read he advocated for Michael Egnew...yeeeeesh on the talent judgment.

If Clay gets away, which is possible, Miami would have to be supremely confident in Sims.

From what I'm reading it seems they'd rather overpay for Clay and part with Wallace.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:48 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

phinsfansc wrote:
Will be interesting to see what type of offer Buffalo makes. Gerald Christian is a kid I like a lot in the mid rounds out of Louisville. Nice size, nice speed and very athletic.

Love Nick O'Leary, but he is not a burner and ran a slower than expected time at the combine. But he has very good hands and is a solid route runner. He is a mid round draft pick as well.

Tony I'm not all that bothered by O'Learys lack of speed because of all the other traits he has. He's a load after the catch and has great hands. What a steal he would be in round 5 or 6.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:49 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

jammer wrote:
Philbin isn't one to push a rookie TE into a big role. What is scary is I read he advocated for Michael Egnew...yeeeeesh on the talent judgment.

If Clay gets away, which is possible, Miami would have to be supremely confident in Sims.

From what I'm reading it seems they'd rather overpay for Clay and part with Wallace.

That's fine by me Jammer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:05 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Charles Clay - TE - Dolphins
FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo expects Dolphins transition player Charles Clay to visit the Bills.
Per Garafolo, the Bills are undaunted by Clay's tag. The Dolphins have the right to match any offer, so Clay is highly unlikely to get away. The Bills would have to overpay, and hope Miami has a number it can't exceed after lavishing money on Ndamukong Suh.
Related: Bills
Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter Mar 10 - 12:41 AM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:38 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Charles Clay - TE - Dolphins
The Buffalo News reports the Bills will attempt to "structure the strongest possible offer sheet" for Dolphins transition player Charles Clay, and that the Browns are also interested.
The Dolphins have the right to match any offer for Clay, but will receive no compensation if he signs an offer sheet elsewhere and they decided not to match. With Miami throwing the house at Ndamukong Suh, perhaps Buffalo has a structure in mind that will be extremely difficult to match. The Bills have had one of the league's poorer tight end corps for years.
Related: Bills, Browns
Source: Vic Carucci on Twitter Mar 10 - 3:13 PM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Bills and Browns are both planning to "mug" the Dolphins on transition player Charles Clay, and are prepping offers Miami "can't match."
Related: Bills, Browns
Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter Mar 10 - 3:39 PM

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]