Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Dolphins defensive tackle Jared Odrick has agreed to terms on a contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, according to a NFL source.

Odrick, the Dolphins’ first-round pick in 2010, was seeking a deal in the range of $7 million a year although terms of his deal with Jacksonville aren’t known. Oakland, Denver and Detroit were also believed to be in contention to acquire the former Penn State standout.

Odrick’s departure from the Dolphins was expected because it was believed the Dolphins didn’t want to pay him what he was seeking.

But there’s still been no word on what the Dolphins will do regarding defensive tackle Randy Starks, the other starter. He’s due to count $6 million against the salary cap.

If Starks doesn’t return the defensive tackle rotation, for now, would include Suh, Earl Mitchell, the third defensive tackle last season, Anthony Johnson and A.J. Francis.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... story.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:29 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

I like AJ Francis's potential.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:47 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

He was passable at what Coyle wanted him to do but he was never going to be a constant force at tackle. Too bad we never got to see him develop as a 3/4 end.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:45 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Starks has got to be cut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:51 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Just like trading up 5 years later

:haha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:55 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

they are probably setting up a trade with Starks... there is no other reason i can imagine why they have so quiet.

The broadcasted the Ellerbe and Wheeler dumps long in advance.
The released Gibson and Hartline early as a courtesy.
This whole business with Fields is a pressure move.... and should free up space.

But I have yet to hear anything positive or negative about Starks, and we all know that Mitchell and Stark's combined salary do not allow for the elephant of Suh's contract.

My guess is they are working on a trade, and they will probably sit on Starks for another 2 weeks, Letting the desperate teams lose out on the FA DT's which are being eatten up like minnows. Some one desperate enough will swing a 4th or 5th rounder for Starks' contract.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Been hearing that for a few years now as he's bounced around AFC East practice squads.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:55 pm 

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Been hearing that for a few years now as he's bounced around AFC East practice squads.

A few years? He was signed an an UDFA by the Dolphins 2 years ago and had a short stint with the Patriots. Last preseason he was put on injured reserve prematurely by the Dolphins.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:43 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I liked Odrick. I wish him well, but just not against the Dolphins!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If this is all true, it's the first cap casualty of signing Suh, Odrick is a quality rotational DT and is starting caliber, your Dline is only as good as it's weakest rotational member, so we have to hope Francis or Johnson or someone is going to come in and give some quality reps.

If you throw a tomato can out there, they will play kick the can.

It will be really nice to see Suh make big plays out there, it will be really awful to see the bad guys make big plays when Suh is NOT out there.

We shall see.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:30 pm 

Finster wrote:
If this is all true, it's the first cap casualty of signing Suh

Odrick was a free agent. How does this qualify as a cap casualty?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
If this is all true, it's the first cap casualty of signing Suh

Odrick was a free agent. How does this qualify as a cap casualty?

Because of the alleged Suh signing we can't afford to bring him back, and will most likely just have to hope Francis or Johnson steps up.

So we actually may be potentially weaker at DT.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate irony.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 pm 

Finster wrote:
Because of the alleged Suh signing we can't afford to bring him back, and will most likely just have to hope Francis or Johnson steps up.

Sorry, I am not following. Starks and Mitchell are still on the team and no rumors are out there about them being cut. So as it stands right now, we switched out Odrick for Suh. Suh is far superior to Odrick so I am not sure how this equates to being weaker at DT.

And again, Odrick wasn't cut, so he isn't a cap casualty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

Sorry, I am not following. Starks and Mitchell are still on the team and no rumors are out there about them being cut. So as it stands right now, we switched out Odrick for Suh. Suh is far superior to Odrick so I am not sure how this equates to being weaker at DT.

And again, Odrick wasn't cut, so he isn't a cap casualty.

I would be shocked if Starks is still on the team this year, you too Rich, he is clearly a diminishing player, Odrick is the better investment.

Semantics Rich, you don't want to call it a cap casualty, whatever, I won't argue, but however you slice it, with the signing of Suh it will be more difficult to keep talent, whether we cut them or just can't resign them, it's all the same.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finster wrote:
we actually may be potentially weaker at DT.

After signing an all world, consensus #1 talent at the position...

Finster wrote:
your Dline is only as good as it's weakest rotational member

That is an over exaggeration IMO after signing a monster like Suh. When was the last time you ever heard of a team's ultimate kryptonite being their 2/3 deep guys on the D-line? The elite talent is going to be playing the bulk of the snaps, and signing those lower tier guys to back them up, be it with an under the radar free agent, or the draft. It's not going to be a big issue. Not to mention the guys we already have on the roster are far from proven scrubs themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:25 pm 

Finster wrote:
I would be shocked if Starks is still on the team this year, you too Rich, he is clearly a diminishing player, Odrick is the better investment.

Ok that being said, Suh/Mitchell is better than Odrick/Mitchell.

Do you want to take a stab at disagreeing with that?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:31 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

SUH/Mitchell is fine.

And Suh is a 3 down type of player that can pull a 6-7 play load before he takes a play off on the sideline. He will not be the problem.

The problem will be the guy on the other side..... Mitchell was a role player before we signed him, and granted he has proven durable..... Mitchell will be spelled.... This D-Line will need at least a solid 3 man rotation to be successful.

Keeping Starks MAY solve that.... but not at the price that Starks is signed under. And it is more than likely that he gets cut/traded soon.

Just kinda wish we had a solid DT young guy that is exciting.....Like Shelby at DE. I would be alot less worried.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:42 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Just kinda wish we had a solid DT young guy that is exciting.

We may. I really liked what I saw from AJ Fancis, and Anthony Johnson was impressing in camp last year. Give the kids a chance... in a rotation they may prove more than adequate. Of course, they may spend another late pick on a DT.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

No Rich, I wouldn't, but if we are 8-8 again because of lack of depth what good is Suh? Then because of Suh you have 1 real option to fix everything, the draft.

Like I said before, the only way this deal is worth it is if we win.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:01 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Finster wrote:
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

No Rich, I wouldn't, but if we are 8-8 again because of lack of depth what good is Suh? Then because of Suh you have 1 real option to fix everything, the draft.

Lack of depth?!? Are you serious with that question we still have Starks, Mitchell, Fede, how much more depth of you want? Suh, Starks, Mitchell, Fede, Wake, Vernon, Jordan is waaaayyyy better than Odrick with those players. Odrick was t a player who demanded double team Suh is that type of player who demands double team every down he makes everyone on the Defensive of side that much better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:00 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

cisco- our depth is great.... AT DE!!

@ DT- Suh/Starks/Mitchell/Francis/Johnson

Starks will probably be cut (assumption but not there yet)...

If that's the case its Suh/Mitchell/Francis/Johnson
Francis and Johnson may be gems... but both have logged less than 200 regular season snaps.

At DE your right- depth is great- Wake/Vernon/Jordan/Fede/Shelby
but those guys can not be swung inside to run DE. That was one of the best things about Odrick's game... but none of our DE's are stout enough to clog the inside.. and our LB's are not competent enough to mask the lack of DL depth.

Wake/Suh/Mitchell/Vernon is a great starting lineup... but injuries, and long drives will force that into a glaring hole at DT if Starks gets ejected.

Suh is the type of player that demands a double team... absolutely. But if your are running up the gut, you still need another DT to stuff the run next to Suh! Our run defense was 24th in the league and decaying faster than roses after valentines day. Suh was brought in to fix the run... not the pass defense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:27 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

SkyHigh314 wrote:
cisco- our depth is great.... AT DE!!

@ DT- Suh/Starks/Mitchell/Francis/Johnson

Starks will probably be cut (assumption but not there yet)...

If that's the case its Suh/Mitchell/Francis/Johnson
Francis and Johnson may be gems... but both have logged less than 200 regular season snaps.

At DE your right- depth is great- Wake/Vernon/Jordan/Fede/Shelby
but those guys can not be swung inside to run DE. That was one of the best things about Odrick's game... but none of our DE's are stout enough to clog the inside.. and our LB's are not competent enough to mask the lack of DL depth.

Wake/Suh/Mitchell/Vernon is a great starting lineup... but injuries, and long drives will force that into a glaring hole at DT if Starks gets ejected.

Suh is the type of player that demands a double team... absolutely. But if your are running up the gut, you still need another DT to stuff the run next to Suh! Our run defense was 24th in the league and decaying faster than roses after valentines day. Suh was brought in to fix the run... not the pass defense.

The reason our pass rushed died out at the end was the fact their was no dominant force like Suh that demanded a double team to free up Wake,Vernon and our Lb core. There's no talk about trading or cutting Starks even if their is Suh is a third down player and a dominant player in fact the best player in his position since getting drafted. We lose one guy actually replace 1 guy with the best guy and we are talking about lack of depth on the DT side really?!? Can we just enjoy the possibilities of what our defensive is going to look like with Wake, Vernon, and our Lb core getting free'd up

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:45 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:

I agree Finster. Any huge deal is only justified by winning. If we go 8-8 next season though we can always use the chemistry excuse?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:46 am 

Finster wrote:

Socrates, is that you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:17 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I agree Finster. Any huge deal is only justified by winning. If we go 8-8 next season though we can always use the chemistry excuse?

Coaching.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:42 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
We may. I really liked what I saw from AJ Fancis, and Anthony Johnson was impressing in camp last year. Give the kids a chance... in a rotation they may prove more than adequate. Of course, they may spend another late pick on a DT.

What exactly did you see out of either of those guys?

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]