PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:31 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/b ... yerid=7926

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:35 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Stills just has a shorter resume than Wallace, but he's a rising talent. He wasn't featured heavily because Graham and Colston eat a huge portion of the pie in New Orleans offense. But this guy is a playmaker no doubt. Made some great plays downfield in double coverage.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:35 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Up and down, kind of like Wallace. lol. At least Stills is younger and has a higher ceiling. I just can't get all goo goo eyes with every signing. The Bucs signed M. Johnson last year and Colins and I remember that the Bucs fans said these are the missing pieces we need!! Low and behold, the Bucs get the #1 overall pick and both players got released.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:36 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Way cheaper than Wallace too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:37 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

True

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:47 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

We'll have to see what Stills' issues are. He was cheap and talented, so, I don't understand why the Saints didn't keep him as the future.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:49 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Why would anyone trade Jimmy Graham? Some insanity goin on there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:52 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
We'll have to see what Stills' issues are. He was cheap and talented, so, I don't understand why the Saints didn't keep him as the future.

I would say the biggest reason he became available was Brees connection with Brandon Cooks last year. The two of them had that instant chemistry & as long as he is healthy Cooks will be their guy of the future.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:17 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Been waiting for someone to bring this up, but has anyone thought about why did the cash strapped Saints trade a young cheap productive player? Attitude is what we have heard.

Now, move over to the Phins & Philbin. The man would not play Mathews in spite of being productive when he played because of attitude. He continually ran the unproductive Hartline out there wasting a valuable position and watching the team struggle in the red zone because of it.

Will Philbin play this guy if he displays an attitude?

Last edited by Dphins4me on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:39 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think the short answer is that Philbin will be more inclined to work with Stills after this trade and because his head coaching job is on the line. Perhaps they have a bit different in their approach to manage the head cases this season and because that leash is now shortening up.

Just a gut feeling from me that this kid should be included quite a bit in this offense, but hopefully has grown up a bit more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:54 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I think Miami struggled in the Red Zone for more reasons than having Hartline on the field but maybe the point was he was part of the reason and not all of the reason.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:54 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Matthews wasnt played because Philbin and Lazor did not trust his route tree. He was sloppy running routes in practice, and rounded out his breaks. Signs of a lazy player. Attitude probably contributed to it, but if your receiver can not run crisp routes in a precision passing offense, they shouldn't see the field.

This is exactly why a guy like Chad Johnson got cut from the Patriots & the Dolphins. Very productive player, but undisciplined, and not a fit for the timing of the offense. I see Matthews in the same way. He's had 3 years to prove that he has learned his route tree, and nothing good has happened yet. I would expect Miami to move away from him come 2016, unless there are drastic signs of improvement.

If Stills runs good routes, he'll play. All signs show that he does.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:00 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Matthews wasnt played because Philbin and Lazor did not trust his route tree. He was sloppy running routes in practice, and rounded out his breaks. Signs of a lazy player. Attitude probably contributed to it, but if your receiver can not run crisp routes in a precision passing offense, they shouldn't see the field.

I never knew before exactly what it was. I just assumed Matthews didn't work at practice tho. Thanks. Since he wants a new contract this year I'll bet he's gonna work harder

Dphins4me wrote:
Will Philbin play this guy if he displays an attitude?

Sounds to me like Stills stuff is his own business, as long as he doesn't let it affect his work, like showing up to practice hungover.

Also, I seriously doubt he would ever bench himself during a game

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:08 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Steve- Im going with that as the answer.

I know he showed up to 2 practices in training camp late.
I know he voiced his opinion against Lazor's system.
I know there were 2 separate incidents where Philbin indirectly said that our receivers need to run cleaner routes following a preseason game when asked about Matthews, he deflected to this general statement.
I know that Finnegan said something about Matthews being predictable and easy to jump routes on.

Im drawing the conclusion that his route tree is sloppy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:21 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

AQNOR wrote:
I think Miami struggled in the Red Zone for more reasons than having Hartline on the field but maybe the point was he was part of the reason and not all of the reason.

Hartline was not the sole reason He was more useless around the goal line, than he was in the field of play. Too weak.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:23 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Never heard that part. Always heard it was his attitude was the reason.

SkyHigh314 wrote:
This is exactly why a guy like Chad Johnson got cut from the Patriots & the Dolphins. Very productive player, but undisciplined, and not a fit for the timing of the offense.
Also old for the position.

SkyHigh314 wrote:
I see Matthews in the same way. He's had 3 years to prove that he has learned his route tree, and nothing good has happened yet. I would expect Miami to move away from him come 2016, unless there are drastic signs of improvement.
Like with the HC. If you are already making plans then move away, then do it & not waste time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:35 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me. I agree. if you are making plans then yes. Move away dont waste time. But his salary is low enough to let him compete now. I dont see any major issues holding him on the roster to see if the light comes on. If he doesnt make the team in August he can be cut with out any major penalty. So hold him now, see if it works.

At this point, Matthews and Landry are the only targets Tannehill has from last season. So it actually gives Matthews an advantage to make the team this year. If he does.... GREAT. If not, he's had his chance.

I think this is the same situation that Binns was in going into last offseason. He had familiarity with the team, and didnt cut it. So we discarded him in August cuts. Matthews has had more than enough opportunities to earn his roster spot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:36 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I dreaded this post showing up.. I just remember it when we "got younger and cheaper" at the LB position, with the PFF charts showing how Wheeler and Ellerbe were good up n coming LB's, ranked just below the two we had...

Then we got them and they both sucked

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:56 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

10acjed-

While i can understand your reserved opinion there, this is a far different situation.

Burnett and Dansby DID NOT NEED TO BE REPLACED.
They actually were cheaper than the the replacements we found. And i think that move was kinda Ireland at his finest jackassery. Both were very productive the prior year, and neither had a bad salary number to worry about.... it was actually a comical move that we had to swallow and digest knowing that it might not have worked.

Wallace DID.
10 million for nothing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:48 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I am far from convinced he will even be a viable replacement for Wallace, Stills did not see a lot of 1 and 2 CBs, doesn't know what it means to be double covered, Wallace caught 10 TDs under that type of pressure, which is more than Stills first 2 years combined.

Stills has a lot to do before he proves he's anywhere near the caliber of Wallace, if NO thought he was even close that caliber, he would still be a Saint.

He may be just a slot WR, and that may be why NO let him go, and Tanne is not Brees, another factor to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:35 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Finster wrote:
I am far from convinced he will even be a viable replacement for Wallace, Stills did not see a lot of 1 and 2 CBs, doesn't know what it means to be double covered, Wallace caught 10 TDs under that type of pressure, which is more than Stills first 2 years combined.

Stills has a lot to do before he proves he's anywhere near the caliber of Wallace, if NO thought he was even close that caliber, he would still be a Saint.

He may be just a slot WR, and that may be why NO let him go, and Tanne is not Brees, another factor to keep in mind.

He has looked great in the highlight reels on ESPN. Opinions will change when the games start and we get to bird dog him on every play. Just as they did with the two Lbers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

[quoteI am far from convinced he will even be a viable replacement for Wallace, Stills did not see a lot of 1 and 2 CBs, doesn't know what it means to be double covered, Wallace caught 10 TDs under that type of pressure, which is more than Stills first 2 years combined.

He may be just a slot WR, and that may be why NO let him go, and Tanne is not Brees, another factor to keep in mind.][/quote]

Finster Fellow Dolphins fan brother, I agree. Let's hope Stills is our number #3 receiver behind a Devante Parker type and Jarvis Landry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:14 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Parker and Stills on the outside and Juice in the slot would be the most talented tandem we've had in decades.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:51 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Apparently Landry and Stills are friends in real life... let's hope Landry influences Stills, and not the other way around.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:05 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dansby and burnett couldn't cover and the final games against buffalo and jets they got pushed around big time in the run game. They needed to be replaced. Not with wheeler, though

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:18 pm 

The touchdown focus on Wallace is tiring. Yeah he caught 10 touchdowns, but that doesn't make him some sort of god, or even a great talent for that matter.

Dude broke 100 yards receiving one time last year, and had more than 5 catches in a game just twice.

You can replace 4.5 catches and 57 yards a game pretty easily I'd think.
(numbers based on 15 games because he didn't play much in week 17 obviously... tacking on that 16th game makes it around 4 catches and 53 odd yards per game.)

Jarvis Landry, in 16 games played (11 started), averaged 5.25 catches and 47 yards per game as the #3 and #4 WR.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Wallace got numbers because we were trying to force/manufacture touches for him to justify his contract. Nothing ever seemed natural in his time here.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]