View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
 Is our search for a quarterback truly over? 
Phins 2 Phins
Phins 2 Phins

Post Is our search for a quarterback truly over?
In preparation for free agency and the draft I have decided to write a series of posts in which I break the team down into smaller sections and then discuss what we have, what we need and what is available. I attempted to write just one post addressing these subjects but at the end I found what I had was a really long post which left too many questions unanswered, so hopefully you will enjoy this format and keep coming back to read the remaining posts in the series.

I’m going to start off by looking at our quarterback situation because I feel like there are still too many people out there who seem to be looking at this position as an empty spot which we still need to find the right person to fill. So where do I think we stand right now?

Chad Pennington.- Pennington will be an unrestricted free agent as of September 1st, 2010 and he has clearly expressed his intentions to be a starter in the 2010 season, which means he is willing to go to another team. Furthermore, the Dolphins have not expressed any intentions of keeping him and I honestly don’t think we will resign him. Why? Pennington will never be a great playmaking quarterback. He just doesn’t have a strong enough arm to spread out the defense enough to open up our game.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he brought a lot to the team but I think we have outgrown him. Without a doubt, Pennington’s greatest contribution was in the locker room, he has a great leader quality and he was good at getting people motivated. Sure Pennington played a part in getting the team to win the division in 2008 but really what most people remember from us that season was the revival of the wildcat, without the wildcat we wouldn’t have gotten there and he collapsed at the beginning of the season, not to mention this is his third shoulder injury.

I think keeping Pennington as a backup quarterback could be a good option but at this point in time I really don’t think that will happen; nor do I think it is an option he would go for because there are a lot of teams out there in need of a quarterback and he does have a chance of getting his start somewhere else this upcoming season.

Chad Henne.- Anyone that knows me is aware of the fact that Henne is definitely in my list of top 3 players for the Dolphins this season (Davone Bess and Vontae Davis are the other 2). And honestly I’m still baffled by the fact that there are so many skeptics out there who still doubt Henne is our new QB. Not only did the guy end up with a 7-6 winning record as a starter and kept us in playoff contention until week 17 despite all our injuries; but he also has a rocket of an arm and he grows exponentially every week.

What most of these non-believers use as a basis for Henne not being good enough is the fact that he threw more interceptions (14) than touchdowns (12) this season. But how many great QBs had numbers like these during their first starting season? Payton Manning for examples threw 28 interceptions and 26 touchdowns, Tom Brady threw 12 interceptions and 18 touchdowns, a positive but not overly impressive record in these terms. Also worth mentioning is the the fact that these quarterbacks were indeed the designated starters at the beginning of the season thus they were, at least theoretically, better prepared for the job at hand.

I believe it is also important to take into consideration that more than a couple of those picks came as a result of good passes which were mishandled or tipped by the receivers, and that more than a few accurate passes were thrown and not caught which could have also led to the number of TDs adding up. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not in any way blaming those stats merely on the receivers, it just serves to prove the point that the team chemistry will get better during the offseason and mistakes like these will be minimized. Henne and the receivers will be able to develop a rapport during the offseason which will serve to improve these issues tremendously. I should also add that providing Henne with a good #1 wide receiver will be the final ingredient needed to bump this guy up to the next level.

Henne had 3 300+ yards games this season even though his best long distance receiver is supposed to be Ted Ginn. And for all the people out there that love Marino, myself included, I feel the need to point out that during his first season as a starter Dan threw for a total of 2210 yards, Henne threw for a total of 2878 yards and that is with 3 fewer games and without guys like Mark Clayton and Mark Duper to help him with those long passes.

In case I haven’t made it clear enough up until now, I believe Henne is our starting quarterback and we should start embracing him as the new franchise quarterback because I believe he is here to stay and will be key in making us become the team to beat this decade.

Pat White.- I want to start off by saying, if nothing else there is one thing that this guy has that many other players wish they had (hmm Ginn) and that is guts. That was made clear during the last game of the season when he took that horrible hit in order to gain about 2 more yards in an attempt to get us that first down. He was running right by the sidelines and he could have stepped out at any point yet he went for it; and for that courage he gets my respect.
That being said, I don’t think the kid is cut out for the NFL, he is just too small and he doesn’t have an arm at all. Pat White is easily one of the worst draft picks we have ever made! I still see people out there talking about how good he is but really what is that based on? Undoubtedly his college career because the truth of the matter is he had a chance to prove himself during that last game of the season and he failed miserably. We had absolutely no offense in that game against the Steelers while Pat White was in it, it wasn’t even that he made mistakes, it was that he generate no plays at all.

I’m sorry but White just doesn’t cut it and if the opportunity for a trade was made available at all I believe they should take it.

Tyler Thigpen.- Now this guy unlike White did take the opportunity that was given to him and ran with it. A lot of people blamed the loss against the Steelers on the 2 interceptions he threw but the truth of the matter is that we would have never been in a position to win that game if it wasn’t for that long perfect TD pass to Bess and all the plays that set up that other TD as well.
This guy is young and has a lot of potential and he also has a great arm, during his starting season with the Kansas City Chiefs he accumulated a total of 2608 yards, 18 TDs and 12 interceptions. Keep in mind that he didn’t become a part of the Dolphins’ roster until late September after Pennington went down. Thigpen should be our backup quarterback next season.

So at this point in time I believe our QB position has been clearly defined with Henne as our starter and Thigpen as our backup. Pat White will likely remain our 3rd string quarterback and I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a couple of “wildpat” plays next season although I would like for that to disappear altogether and for them to try to find a replacement for the position but I don’t believe it is something that needs to be addressed immediately, nor do I believe it is something they should focus on during the draft.

There is one more point I’d like to discuss in this post and that is the option of drafting Tim Tebow which is also something I seem to be hearing a lot of people say we should do since they seem to think he would be such a great addition to the wildcat. Let me start by saying that if you still think that our offense should be solely based on the wildcat and that our draft should be influenced based solely on this offensive play I hope you will be very disappointed but we will leave that up for further discussion later.
I don’t believe that Tebow will ever be great as a quarterback in the NFL, he has constantly proven that he does not work well when under pressure and he is oftentimes slow when it comes to delivering the football. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play a different position in a couple of years, I personally think he should explore his potential as a tight end or as a full back. But if you are a Tebow fan I wouldn’t worry too much about him going to far, I believe he will get drafted by the Jags because if nothing else it will help them tremendously with ticket sales, which is something they are indesperate need to improve.

Additional notes:
The following are some of the QBs will be free agents in 2010: Kyle Orton (Denver Broncos), Jason Campbell (Washington Redskins), Tarvaris Jackson (Minnesota Vikings), Kellen Clemmens (New York Jets), Charlie Batch (Pittsburgh Steelers), David Carr (New York Giants), and Daunte Culpepper (Detroit Lions).
The following are some of the QBs which will enter into the draft: Jimmy Claussen (Notre Dame), Sam Bradford (Oklahoma), Colt McCoy (Texas), Tim Tebow (Florida), Tony Pike (Cincinnati), Jevan Snead (Ole Miss), Sean Canfield (Oregon State), and Bill Stull (Pittsburgh).

"News, info and discussions about the Miami Dolphins, their players and the season..."

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Is our search for a quarterback truly over?
My hopes and dreams for our QBs are this:

Chad Pennington - There simply isn't room for him anymore. If he can stay as a back-up, no problem. If he truly wants to start, let him go. We owe him that at least. I would personally like to see him hang up the pads before permanant damage occurs. If he does, Asst QB Coach?

Chad Henne - Starter. Nuff said.

Pat White - The enigma. It's not that I dislike this kid, I just don't think he is an NFL QB. That doesn't mean he has to go. I think coverting him to WR (which he is already good at) would be his only saving grace. The boy has wheels, and moves to go with those wheels. Keep him for that alone and see what happens.

Tyler Thigpen - In the absence of Chad Pennington, Tyler is truly our #2 QB and can even make good competition for Henne. This kid is massivly underated. I like him, keep him.

In short, Penny has to go for his own good and White is no longer a QB or no longer on this team. We already know that Parcells will draft a QB this year so we will have a #3 going in to the season.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:32 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I don't believe the search for a QB is ever truly over. You are always looking to improve at every position and at every level for that position (backups). If Parcells sees a very good prospect drop low in the draft he would be foolish to not draft him just because we have Henne and Thigpen. That being said, I am a believer in Henne and his potential to be a top 5 or higher NFL QB.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:24 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phins2phins wrote:
In preparation for free agency ....

Hey! Thanks for sharing your blog with us. I added text in your signature that will advertise your site each time you post here. Be sure to add an image to it, too. Our guys can help you if you need it.

Good luck with your blog!

Dave

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:58 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Chad Pennington: I agree... stay as back up, even as a coach for the future. If he wants to start for another team then I wish him the best of luck.

Chad Henne: Starter for years to come.

Pat White: Not a QB, maybe a decoy for wildcat plays... maybe even RB/WR kinda guy.

Tyler Thigpen: 2nd stringer.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:49 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I would love to see Pennington stay on as a mentor to Henne. Henne is the unquestioned starter next year, he has easily earned that. I don't know why Pat White couldn't be used as a Slash-type Kordell Stewart clone on some plays.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

dolphinjim wrote:
I don't know why Pat White couldn't be used as a Slash-type Kordell Stewart clone on some plays.

Did you see what happened last time he took a hit?

I want him to succeed as bad as the next Dolphins fan, but he sure does look fragile for a football player.
My pre-season hopes and excitement were unfortunately replaced by doubt as I watched Pat White throughout the season.

Whether they're willing to admit it or not, I have to imagine the Dolphins Brass must feel somewhat similar.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:19 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

That was one nasty helmet to helmet hit on the sideline, and he drove to work the next day.

If anything he's showed great toughness in his little playing time. The guy certainly isn't scared to take a hit.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:

Pat White - The enigma. It's not that I dislike this kid, I just don't think he is an NFL QB. That doesn't mean he has to go. I think coverting him to WR (which he is already good at) would be his only saving grace. The boy has wheels, and moves to go with those wheels. Keep him for that alone and see what happens.

Yes, please turn him into a Randle El type player...He could return some punts, some kicks, catch some balls and run the occasional trick play. Enough of this pistol and WildPat.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:43 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

IamPZ wrote:
That was one nasty helmet to helmet hit on the sideline, and he drove to work the next day.

If anything he's showed great toughness in his little playing time. The guy certainly isn't scared to take a hit.

No argument there. A head to head collision like that can turn even the toughest players into banana pudding.

I too was impressed that he made it in the next day, but that did little to satisfy my doubts about his ability to throw the ball or survive running the ball up the gut in linebacker territory.

Time will tell.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:44 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Nice blog P2P....

I agree witcha:
1) Henne is the starter
2) Thigpen is the backup
3) White should be 3rd qb

I think its still too early to say the guy could never play qb in the league......lets see how well he plays during the pre-season now that he has his rookie season under his belt.....I don't know that he'd ever be a good starter, but I believe he could become a good backup if he puts in the work during the offseason and in camp.

He may also have usefulness at other positions like KR, PR, or WR......I don't think he's big enough to be a RB.

Last edited by keebler_kahn on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:58 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Phins2Phins wrote it keebler. It is a good read.

Parcells and company have always had a history of bringing in QB's in the past. The big question is going to be, what are the plans if any for Pennington. If they go without Pennington and let him walk. Then I can see them adding another QB to the mix. Which I think is the best way go.

Henne, Thigpen (nice little battle here in camp) and a late pick or UDFA. I don't see or like Pat White in this mix.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 pm
Profile YIM
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I feel the need to point out that Marino played in 3 fewer games, was playing under rules which did not favor the passing game like they do currently and had 20 Td's to 6 interceptions. He also was a true rookie and had no fumbles and 2 rushing Td's. I am not sure that Dan the Man is the benchmark you want to use with Henne or probably most other Qb's.

You probably don't want me to post his stats for his first full season as a starter.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:09 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

People forget how Mobile Thigpen is as well. And he has an awesome long ball. He may be better suited for passing in the wild cat. And MAYBE running here or there.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:16 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

hypocritex wrote:
People forget how Mobile Thigpen is as well. And he has an awesome long ball. He may be better suited for passing in the wild cat. And MAYBE running here or there.

Well they have an entire offseason to mix and match and see who's best at what.

This is year 3 of the Tuna plan, so I can't help but expect something big this season.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:29 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

AQNOR wrote:
I feel the need to point out that Marino played in 3 fewer games, was playing under rules which did not favor the passing game like they do currently and had 20 Td's to 6 interceptions. He also was a true rookie and had no fumbles and 2 rushing Td's.

Yeah, but he's also Dan Ma-fricken-rino!
Someone who many non-Dolphin fans consider the best pure passer of all time.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure this team will EVER see another QB that special in our lifetimes.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Bones wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
I feel the need to point out that Marino played in 3 fewer games, was playing under rules which did not favor the passing game like they do currently and had 20 Td's to 6 interceptions. He also was a true rookie and had no fumbles and 2 rushing Td's.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure this team will EVER see another QB that special in our lifetimes.

Quote:
I am not sure that Dan the Man is the benchmark you want to use with Henne or probably most other Qb's.

Like I said in the rest of my post which you left off. I don't think Marino is who you want to start stat comparison's with. That was my point. The post seemed to indicate that Henne did more with less at least in total yards. I am not against Henne.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:47 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

AQNOR wrote:
Bones wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Quote:
I am not sure that Dan the Man is the benchmark you want to use with Henne or probably most other Qb's.

Like I said in the rest of my post which you left off. I don't think Marino is who you want to start stat comparison's with. That was my point. The post seemed to indicate that Henne did more with less at least in total yards. I am not against Henne.

Fair enough.
I think we can agree that Henne is the first QB we've had in a LOOOONG time that seems to be proving he's worth building a team around.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:55 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Parcells seems to always ad a QB but Henne has earned to go into next season as the starter , I could see Thigpen as the #2 but we are basing that on 1/2 of a game. If you can make Pat White into whatever im OK with it , just not a QB but I can see him getting leveled again , especially on kick returns. I wouldnt hold my breath to see if he becomes anything worthwhile.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:54 pm
Phins 2 Phins
Phins 2 Phins

I don't think Henne has done enough to prove he is better than Marino, or even that he could get there. I guess I might have not explained myself well enough but the point I was trying to make was that he showed he had potential and it really was mainly geared at the people who are so against him. I was simply trying to prove the point that he is indeed the best we have had in a while...
I really do appreciate all the feedback though positive or negative it will only help me improve

"News, info and discussions about the Miami Dolphins, their players and the season..."

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:31 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

hypocritex wrote:

Thigpen is a well developed young Qb, he is our #2 Qb but White offers more flexibility in the WC.

Thiggy is the type of player that we could end up scoring a high draft pick for or if Henne went down he could easily start, his ball fakes against Pittsburgh were beautiful and something a Dolphins Qb has not done well in years.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:10 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

padre31 wrote:
but White offers more flexibility in the WC.

You must be joking. He's a one trick pony.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:53 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
padre31 wrote:

I agree. ....and I still can't understand how one of the most prolific passers in college football history has seemingly lost all ability to properly throw the ball. I mean we all became concerned when he tagged Parcells' occupied golf cart way off field with an errant throw.... but seeing Pat White unable to throw a 5 yard pass in space at the end of the season was truly disheartening. He wasn't even close to completing it.
I was someone who was shocked at the draft selection but thrilled with the possibilities, and while some fans can remain in love with his "potential" or the "flexibility he offers the wildcat" the fact of the matter is, this is a Show-Me league, and Pat White has yet to show us anything but reasons to be fearful when he's on the field.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:55 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
padre31 wrote:

Quite serious, White is far more than a one trick pony, which is the same thing that was said about Cameron Wake.

If there is one thing I've learned about the Sparanofins it is they develop players, if one wishes to see microwaved day 1 contributions one will be disappointed for quite sometime.

Romo was Dallas's practice squad for how long? Miles Austin?

In some ways Sparano and Ireland have more of a baseball view to the roster and practice squad, which is completely opposite of how the NFL, and most fans, think players should be looked upon.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 am

Quote:
White is far more than a one trick pony

He can run and handoff. He does neither well consistently.

So maybe I was wrong. He is a no trick pony.

Can he develop? Sure. But he hasn't yet. I'll base my opinion on what has happened already. And what has happened already is that White has been a failure.

You can go ahead and base your opinion on what might happen. Knock yourself out.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:26 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

padre31 wrote:
Rich wrote:
padre31 wrote:

Quite serious, White is far more than a one trick pony, which is the same thing that was said about Cameron Wake.

Cameron Wake produces.

I'm not saying White never will, but at this point, I think everyone involved in this organization from The Tuna himself down to the casual fan needs to see something, ANYthing productively positive before we can truly say that Pat White has something worthwhile to offer this team. Most of his opportunities to do something besides a basic hand off have been squandered thus far.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him succeed, but I'm not holding my breath.... I made that mistake in telling myself that Ginn could develop into a true #1 wideout. Can Pat White make this team better? ...Hopefully. But if you're looking at it with expectations rather than hope, don't be surprised if you get backhanded by disappointment down the line. I'd love to be wrong, but since I've stopped evaluating Pat White's body of work at West Virginia and begun evaluating him solely based on his NFL contributions, I think you can understand I've developed a warranted feeling of pessimism.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:27 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think we might be looking for a 3rd string QB this offseason, depending on Pennington's status. If Pennington is back, and can handle being that 3rd guy....then great. I prefer Henne as the starter and Thigpen as his backup. In fact, I want to see Thigpen getting plenty of opportunities to compete for the starting job.....it can't hurt!

Pat White is a real enigma......how the heck has he seemingly forgotten how to throw the ball since leaving college (all of a year before)? It must be a mental block or something.....stage fright......perhaps the playbook and demands on an NFL QB are just too much for him??? That last throw where he short-armed a 5 yard pass was pathetic.....but really makes you wonder what has caused Pat White to lose his mojo????

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:40 am

Quote:
I agree. ....and I still can't understand how one of the most prolific passers in college football history has seemingly lost all ability to properly throw the ball. I mean we all became concerned when he tagged Parcells' occupied golf cart way off field with an errant throw.... but seeing Pat White unable to throw a 5 yard pass in space at the end of the season was truly disheartening. He wasn't even close to completing it.
I was someone who was shocked at the draft selection but thrilled with the possibilities, and while some fans can remain in love with his "potential" or the "flexibility he offers the wildcat" the fact of the matter is, this is a Show-Me league, and Pat White has yet to show us anything but reasons to be fearful when he's on the field.

:yay:

Bones gets it ... he really does!!

Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]