View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 OT: Matt Roth wants out of Cleveland... 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post OT: Matt Roth wants out of Cleveland...
Browns outside linebacker Matt Roth is hoping his stay in Cleveland is a short one.

Six months after Roth essentially forced his way out of Miami and the Browns claimed him off waivers, Roth asked Cleveland to trade him Monday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The unsigned restricted free agent wants a multi-year contract extension, and the two sides aren't close to reaching one. Roth had four sacks in six starts in Cleveland last year.

Rest of Article: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... cleveland/

Not really surprised here... and it kind of validates our moving... er, cutting him and getting nothing in return (which hurt after he was productive in CLE). Who does he think he is? Is Rosenhous repping him?

Also, I had to register again to post here (its been awhile since i have been here) and in doing so the system asked me to identify Dolphins players and included Jason Taylor- who is now a Jet... just a quick FYI that might confuse some (even though he was a Dolphin and will always be one)...

Mon May 17, 2010 11:15 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Matt Roth wants out of Cleveland...
I didn't even know he played last season........wonder if he wants to come back here? or go some place he thinks he can play (de) at?

Mon May 17, 2010 11:27 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I'm pretty sure Matt blew his chance with this regime. The fact that they cut him without even looking to trade him tells you they were pretty peeved with this young man.

He has the ideal size and temperment you want, so I hate that things did not work out in Miami.

Mon May 17, 2010 12:30 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

This guy puts nothing on the field and expects everything. His career will be short.

Mon May 17, 2010 2:07 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

IamPZ wrote:
This guy puts nothing on the field and expects everything. His career will be short.

I disagree man. Roth is an absolute beast against the run, and proved last year that he can produce in the pass rush game as well. He deserves a pay day, but buyer beware. He seems to be having some after effects of all the roids he was doing at iowa or something...

Mon May 17, 2010 2:14 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

I disagree man. Roth is an absolute beast against the run, and proved last year that he can produce in the pass rush game as well. He deserves a pay day, but buyer beware. He seems to be having some after effects of all the roids he was doing at iowa or something...

I think he still might have a little left in him, but not enough for a big pay day. But still could be a solid back up for some1.

Mon May 17, 2010 2:18 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

living here in cleveland area, i saw alot of matt roth play with the browns. not that they had much on defense, but he was hands down their best player after he got here and became a fan fave right away. not sure of his attitude, but if he demands too much he may have a short career for sure.

Mon May 17, 2010 4:02 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

He might feel like he is owed more than what he is really worth, cause his agent is in his ear telling him what a top notch player he is......or think he is. :talktohand:

Mon May 17, 2010 8:08 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

He deserves the boot and an early end to his career. Put up more than 1 season of decent stats then ask for a pay day... and stop the dang whining.

Mon May 17, 2010 8:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He just wants a long term deal and a team to love him is all. He signed their podunk contract, went out and performed, and now he wants them to pay him for the future...what's so wrong about that?

Mon May 17, 2010 8:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Roth really blew it. He could have had a chance to shine for us last season and he let greed get in the way. He should know that the NFL is a business and that teams really don't give contracts based on personal feelings towards a player anymore. If that was the case we would have made sure Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor retired playing for the Miami Dolphins.
Personally, I wish we still had Matt Roth. I really liked him as a player. He played hard every down and was a beast against the run. Do I think he's worth the big bucks, no, but I think he's worth something. I was upset how things deteriorated last year. He's a waste of talent on that lousy Browns defense.
:boo:

Mon May 17, 2010 11:24 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He wants his money now. It makes me wonder if he was holding out last year with his "injury" issues and not giving 100%.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue May 18, 2010 4:04 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Roth's problem in Cleveland is exactly the same as his problem in Miami.
Here's the Conundrum, from the info I've seen .... anything I've missed?? ....

Team Perspective:
Talented Player
Injury Prone
attiTUDE that doesn't blend well with Team Building

Roth Perspective:
Talented Player

Every team is willing to pay for a productive player.
Teams will solve this problem with small cash & big incentives. Pay to play type of contract.
Roth wants big cash in new long-term contract & not so interested in incentives. He's forced into power plays & jumping teams to try to make it happen.

Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The Browns have said that they are not trading Roth.

Quote:
After the outside linebacker requested a trade earlier Monday, Browns G.M. Tom Heckert said he wasn't worried.

"First of all, it's not going to happen," Heckert said.

Second of all, no one is giving up a decent pick to get Roth. Miami couldn't get anything for him last year, and they ultimately cut him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/17/heckert-were-not-trading-matt-roth/

Tue May 18, 2010 9:37 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Big Dave wrote:
He wants his money now. It makes me wonder if he was holding out last year with his "injury" issues and not giving 100%.

I think that is exactly what was going on. He didn't want to risk an injury without a long term contract. He goes balls out in Cleveland to finish last year and now they don't want to pay him either. I'm sensing more of a lockerroom distraction going on here. This guy has always had kind of a thug mentality and I wonder if he's not a cancer. Personally I liked the guy when he was here. He kept his nose clean and played well. I think his sacks would've come once he was an every down player. Anyway, who knows. If he leaves Cleveland, he'll probably get one more chance which means he's losing a negociation card for future deals.

Tue May 18, 2010 12:33 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

...aaaaaaannnnnnnnndddddddd that's exactly why you don't bring back from! The guy has some sense of entitlement, but based off of what? One really good half season and a ton of potential? hell, the same thing can be said about rookies all around the league. Sign a 1-yr tender, play your butt off to your full potential, THEN play the ocho-cinco/TO game of demanding trades.

Tue May 18, 2010 4:16 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I guess Roth cannot get out of Cleveland.

Quote:
Browns Re-Sign Jerome Harrison & Three Others
Mon Jun 14, 2010
http://www.ffmastermind.com

The Plain Dealer reports four more Browns restricted free agents signed their one-year tender offers today, a league source said. They are RB Jerome Harrison, LB Matt Roth, FS Abe Elam and FB Lawrence Vickers. Share All four but Roth received second-round tenders worth $1.759 million. Roth's is $1.809 million because he had five accrued seasons instead of four. The players had until 11:59 p.m. tomorrow night to sign or they would've had their offers reduced to 10 percent of their 2009 base salaries. In the case of all but Elam, they would have lost at least $1 million for the year.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]