All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:28 am 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:30 pm
Posts: 386
It should have been Marcus Peters last year and it should be Vernon Hargreaves this year.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:58 am 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:03 am
Posts: 122
Location: South Carolina
Too much uncertainty right now with the players contracts expiring, but my opinion would be to take BA either in CB / LB / OL, what a surprise right? But I don't want a player with a history of injuries. It would be hard pressed to pass up one of the elite DE... again, it depends on what they decide to do over the next few months.

I wouldn't be upset if they trade to acquire more first and second day picks.

We'll see what happens over the next few months. It's sad that the Dolphin conversation is around the next draft as the playoffs continue. It's getting mighty old, but one of these year's we have to catch a break.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:48 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 1208
Some very nice prospects at CB. It would be good to find someone who we can hold their own against Watkins, or Brandon Marshall. Grimes used to be that guy, but he is showing his age as of late. Could you convert a guy like Grimes into a free safety?? Let him use his instincts....


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:29 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:52 pm
Posts: 553
While Marcus Peters would've been great for the Dolphins, Parker is going to be a stud and a first rounder that other teams will say "We should have picked him."


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
drew wrote:
While Marcus Peters would've been great for the Dolphins, Parker is going to be a stud and a first rounder that other teams will say "We should have picked him."



I agree with you on DeVante. We finally got a chance to get a glimpse of what he could be the last few games of the season.

CB, LB or possibly DE. A lot will depend on what Miami does in free agency. I'm leaning towards Myles Jack, the LB from UCLA. I could certainly see Alexander or Hargreaves here as well. Love Jalen Ramsey, but for right now, everything I have seen has him going top 5-6.

I think Jaylon Smith would have been the possible pick before he tore his knee up in the bowl game.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:03 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
Peters and Parker will both be NFL stars but give me the wide receiver over a corner.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:06 am 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:19 am
Posts: 102
In my estimation we need a CB, OG, MLB, and S. If I were drafting, I would love to see us do something like this:
1st - Jalen Ramsey CB FSU or Vernon Hargreaves III CB Florida
I chose to go corner first because I don't feel there is a guard, linebacker, or safety that warrants this high of a pick. Both are elite talents but I give the edge to Ramsey because of his size and aggressive nature. Dude loves to hit.
2nd - Landon Turner OG UNC
Going for a mauler in the run game here. Plug and play left guard.
3rd - Kentrell Brothers MLB Missouri
Tackling machine. I'm hoping he drops like Zach Thomas did because of his height. Good in coverage too.
4th - Deon Bush S Miami
Prospect to compete with Michael Thomas a and Walt Aikens for the second S spot. Love his attitude on and off the field.
5th - Kevin Hogan QB Stanford
Backup for Tannehill. Prospect for Gase to groom. Big arm, can make all the throws.
6th - Alex Lewis OL Nebraska
He's versatile and could provide depth at both left side positions. Also frees us up to drop Dallas Thomas.
7th - Add depth at wide receiver and defensive line.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
wtkloiber wrote:
In my estimation we need a CB, OG, MLB, and S. If I were drafting, I would love to see us do something like this:
1st - Jalen Ramsey CB FSU or Vernon Hargreaves III CB Florida
I chose to go corner first because I don't feel there is a guard, linebacker, or safety that warrants this high of a pick. Both are elite talents but I give the edge to Ramsey because of his size and aggressive nature. Dude loves to hit.
2nd - Landon Turner OG UNC
Going for a mauler in the run game here. Plug and play left guard.
3rd - Kentrell Brothers MLB Missouri
Tackling machine. I'm hoping he drops like Zach Thomas did because of his height. Good in coverage too.
4th - Deon Bush S Miami
Prospect to compete with Michael Thomas a and Walt Aikens for the second S spot. Love his attitude on and off the field.
5th - Kevin Hogan QB Stanford
Backup for Tannehill. Prospect for Gase to groom. Big arm, can make all the throws.
6th - Alex Lewis OL Nebraska
He's versatile and could provide depth at both left side positions. Also frees us up to drop Dallas Thomas.
7th - Add depth at wide receiver and defensive line.



I DO NOT want to address OG in the draft. Miami has tried and tried and not been able to get it done. Miami can and will create cap space, and this needs to be addressed via free agency.

I can certainly go for a CB with the 1st pick, but I also like UCLA LB Myles Jack here as well. I think Miami needs multiple linebackers.

A lot of what Miami will do will depend on what they do in free agency. If we lose Vernon & Shelby and possible Wake, that a position that will need to be addressed. I like the kid from Clemson in the 2nd round, Kevin Dodd.

Hope maybe since Vance Joseph is here in Miami, the Dolphins can lure Reggie Nelson to Miami. He is a Florida boy and a playmaker. Would be nice to have him next to Reshad Jones.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:55 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:19 am
Posts: 102
phinsfansc wrote:
wtkloiber wrote:
In my estimation we need a CB, OG, MLB, and S. If I were drafting, I would love to see us do something like this:
1st - Jalen Ramsey CB FSU or Vernon Hargreaves III CB Florida
I chose to go corner first because I don't feel there is a guard, linebacker, or safety that warrants this high of a pick. Both are elite talents but I give the edge to Ramsey because of his size and aggressive nature. Dude loves to hit.
2nd - Landon Turner OG UNC
Going for a mauler in the run game here. Plug and play left guard.
3rd - Kentrell Brothers MLB Missouri
Tackling machine. I'm hoping he drops like Zach Thomas did because of his height. Good in coverage too.
4th - Deon Bush S Miami
Prospect to compete with Michael Thomas a and Walt Aikens for the second S spot. Love his attitude on and off the field.
5th - Kevin Hogan QB Stanford
Backup for Tannehill. Prospect for Gase to groom. Big arm, can make all the throws.
6th - Alex Lewis OL Nebraska
He's versatile and could provide depth at both left side positions. Also frees us up to drop Dallas Thomas.
7th - Add depth at wide receiver and defensive line.



I DO NOT want to address OG in the draft. Miami has tried and tried and not been able to get it done. Miami can and will create cap space, and this needs to be addressed via free agency.

I can certainly go for a CB with the 1st pick, but I also like UCLA LB Myles Jack here as well. I think Miami needs multiple linebackers.

A lot of what Miami will do will depend on what they do in free agency. If we lose Vernon & Shelby and possible Wake, that a position that will need to be addressed. I like the kid from Clemson in the 2nd round, Kevin Dodd.

Hope maybe since Vance Joseph is here in Miami, the Dolphins can lure Reggie Nelson to Miami. He is a Florida boy and a playmaker. Would be nice to have him next to Reshad Jones.


I agree that free agency will play a big part. If we lose Miller and Vernon, we're likely shopping DE and RB in the first four rounds. Also, if we cut Grimes, Cameron, etc., it will also change the approach. This mock is going off the idea that we cut nonessential guys like Jennings and Coples, and we restructure a couple of the other high paid players that aren't living up to their contract.
As far as ignoring the guard position, I think we've made way too many stupid free agency signings on the offensive line for my lifetime. Anyone remember Linkenbach, Colledge, Watkins, Brenner, Smiley, Berger, Grove, Smith, and the list goes on. The best free agent interior lineman we signed in the last decade was at the center of a bullying scandal that got a bunch of people fired. What we need to stop doing is trying to fill starting spots with middle round picks. Also, we need to stop trying to convert tall tackles into guards. We need walking Coke machines in there.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
Miami has not done a brilliant job drafting and developing OG either.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:10 am 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:19 am
Posts: 102
phinsfansc wrote:
Miami has not done a brilliant job drafting and developing OG either.


The last three high draft picks we spent on offensive linemen have yielded decent results. Long was an All Pro when healthy. Pouncey is a Pro Bowl center. James admittedly was a second round talent we spent a first round pick on, and he plays like it, but he is more than capable of doing a decent job. Other than those guys, I can't think of a lineman other than Satele who we spent a first or second round pick on. And Satele was traded way too early in my opinion. Guy made the all rookie squad and started all 32 games his first two years. He's started over 100 games in his career. Shame we gave up on him. I think if we draft a guy like Turner we'll be rewarded with a average or better starter for the next four years.

But I agree with you that we haven't developed our talent. Every other team seems to find 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders that develop into starters. But for some reason we keep spending 3rd and 4th round picks on bust after bust. But that is what we're paying Gase and company to do, coach up and win with the players we draft.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:40 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
phinsfansc wrote:
Miami has not done a brilliant job drafting and developing OG either.


Too early still to give up on Douglas. We gotta hit on at least one right?
Maybe let him and Turner compete to play right guard and sign Osemele or Boone to play left.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
swerve13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Miami has not done a brilliant job drafting and developing OG either.


Too early still to give up on Douglas. We gotta hit on at least one right?
Maybe let him and Turner compete to play right guard and sign Osemele or Boone to play left.


Not giving up on Douglas, as he has versatility, and thought he was very serviceable at C when Pouncey got hurt.

Osemele is the guy I would like to see Miami sign and he is on their radar. Boone would be nice also and I would have no problem with the scenario you laid out.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:55 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10473
Location: MA
According to Simon Clancy on Twitter the Dolphins plan to address CB, DE, LB and G.

Combine that with Barry Jackson's blog saying Miami is prioritizing G and CB.

If the information is accurate my guess is Miami will probably spend on a CB and G in free agency which meshes with Tony's point about Miami not being able to develop the guys they've drafted over the last couple of years. I'm still holding out hope for Jamil Douglas, Tony Lippett and Bobby McCain to be contributors.

So where do they spend? There is already word they like Kelechi Osemele. He'll be highly expensive, but he also has experience at T so his price tag becomes easier to swallow. Both Albert and James were injured this year and we saw the results. Plus, I think this year or next could be Albert's last.

We've also read that Vance Joseph and Leon Hall have a great relationship. Miko's actions have all but guaranteed Brent Grimes will be moving on. The writers wrote that the brass has spoke to Brent about her several times and its not like his play is top 5 in the league. I think Leon Hall replaces Grimes. Another name to watch for is Patrick Robinson. Ian Wharton did a little write up on him as an under the radar free agent who would be a decent fit in Miami.

What I would like about these signings is they would give Miami some great flexibility at the 8th pick. The guys I'm watching are, in no particular order, Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey, Vernon Haergraves, DeForest Buckner, Shaq Lawson, Ronnie Staley and Mackensie Alexander.

Just another note. Miami's biggest decision will be whether or not to re-sign Olivier Vernon who will cost a fortune. I can't help but think that Tannenbaum wants to turn around the career of his last 1st Rounder from the Jets, Quinton Coples. Coples was playing a lot lighter to transition to LB last year. I think if he gets back to his 285/290 lb playing weight and strictly goes to DE Miami might reap some reward.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:48 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
Osemele would be a huge addition for us. He strengthens us two-fold. A stellar starting left guard who moves to left tackle if Albert gets hurt again.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:24 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:19 am
Posts: 102
I'm not a fan of us adding another guard in free agency. When you sign young talented players in free agency, you typically overpay. Those kinds of signings are what put us in our current cap situation. Think Ellerbe, Wallace, Suh, etc.

It's because of bad free agent signings that we're going to potentially lose productive players like Vernon and Miller this year.

I understand the reasoning behind hiring a proven veteran to step in and potentially become an immediate fix, but I just don't think our cap situation allows us that option. In addition, I feel that adding a lineman early in the draft (1st or 2nd round) gives us the same plug and play potential, but without the expensive price tag.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:28 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2903
wtkloiber wrote:
I'm not a fan of us adding another guard in free agency. When you sign young talented players in free agency, you typically overpay. Those kinds of signings are what put us in our current cap situation. It's because of bad free agent signings that we're going to potentially lose productive players like Vernon and Miller


While I agree with you, I feel the priority is fixing the problem even if it means overpaying a bit. We've shown no ability to solve the problem through the draft. Even a second-tier free agent guard would be better than what we have, and can be had at a reasonable contract. That said, I would be very happy if we were to get Osemele at a cap-friendly contract.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:00 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:19 am
Posts: 102
k-dash wrote:
wtkloiber wrote:
I'm not a fan of us adding another guard in free agency. When you sign young talented players in free agency, you typically overpay. Those kinds of signings are what put us in our current cap situation. It's because of bad free agent signings that we're going to potentially lose productive players like Vernon and Miller


While I agree with you, I feel the priority is fixing the problem even if it means overpaying a bit. We've shown no ability to solve the problem through the draft. Even a second-tier free agent guard would be better than what we have, and can be had at a reasonable contract. That said, I would be very happy if we were to get Osemele at a cap-friendly contract.


If Osemele were going to sign a cap-friendly contract, he'd likely re-sign with Baltimore. Unless of course he absolutely hates living and playing in Baltimore.

Iupati signed a 5 year $40 million deal last year. Franklin got a 5 year $36.5 million deal. Not too sure where Osemele ranks next to those two players, but I'm sure he's going to try to get a deal somewhere around that if he can.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r