Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

From Ian Rappaport.......

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago

DE Jason Jones, former #Lions starter, is headed to Miami to sign with the #Dolphins, source said

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:06 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Good. Now.... Leon Hall, please?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:23 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Thoughts? This dude any good?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:34 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

5 sacks

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:17 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A starter last year for the Lions. We sure do like Lions defensive linemen .... and the Lions seem to be fond in letting them go.

Barry Jackson wrote:
He gives the Dolphins four starting-caliber defensive ends: Cameron Wake, Mario Williams, Jones and Andre Branch.

Jones visited the Dolphins twice in the past two months, but the Dolphins wanted to hold off on signing him until after May 12, when it would not affect how many compensatory draft picks Miami will get in next year's draft.

Jones, 29, started 15 games for Detroit last season and had 31 tackles and 4.5 sacks. Pro Football Focus rated him the league’s 43rd best edge defender last season.

He had five sacks for Detroit as a starter in 2014.

Jones has played eight NFL seasons: four in Tennessee, one in Seattle and three in Detroit. He has 28 career sacks, 24 passes defended and 10 forced fumbles.

A second-round pick out of Eastern Michigan in 2008, Jones also visited the Dallas Cowboys last month.

The Dolphins have been planning to go into the season with Mario Williams starting at one defensive end spot and Cameron Wake and Andre Branch likely sharing time at the other, with Branch playing a lot on run-heavy downs to conserve Wake’s energy.

Wake is coming off an Achilles’ injury and the Dolphins say he is expected to be ready to play by Week 1.

Jones’ signing could change the dynamics and create competition with Branch for the defensive end role, opposite Williams, in base defense.

The Dolphins also have Chris McCain, Terrence Fede and CFL import Cleyon Laing at defensive end.

And Dion Jordan is eligible for reinstatement after a one-year suspension, with his agent saying on Twitter that he could be comeback player of the year.

The Dolphins entered the day with $18 million in cap space.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:26 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He also has experience at DT. Here's more information.

Bleacher Report wrote:
More of a rotational player than a surefire starter, the 29-year-old has never really lived up to his draft billing, but he has the physical tools to be a solid depth option in the trenches for Miami.

Big enough to function as a 3-4 defensive end or slide inside as an interior pass-rusher in a 4-3 alignment, Jones is best suited to play a 4-3 DE spot. His versatility has to have the Dolphins excited about his arrival if they want to put together some hybrid fronts.

Miami's defensive schematics can get creative on obvious passing downs with Jones in the fold. Although the veteran hasn't logged more than five sacks in a single season, he has a blend of size, quickness and experience to create disruption and make room for others to make plays.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2628 ... d-reaction

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:00 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Very strong on both slides of the ball. Another great signing.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:05 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Can he play OL?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:31 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

We've fortified the trenches pretty well this offseason. I just wish we'd address the secondary more.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
Good. Now.... Leon Hall, please?

Miami is interested, but Leon's asking price has to come down. He has had 3 visits and left with no contract, the most recent in the last 2 weeks with the Giants and Falcons.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:54 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

And, a little more input on the Jason Jones signing.

NFL Mocks wrote:
The Dolphins recently agreed to bring in the former Lion, Seahawk, and Titan who has been consistently a very good rotational rusher over his career. Jones is capable of starting if needed, but the Dolphins will be able to reap the benefits here of having a very good rusher come in whenever Cameron Wake or Mario Williams need a break.

And, heaven forbid Wake or someone suffers another season-ending injury, this is a guy that can pick up the slack in a full-time starting role and keep the wheels turning.

http://nflmocks.com/2016/05/14/miami-do ... ve-line/6/

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz 2h2 hours ago
Barry Jackson Retweeted Adam Beasley
Deal, reported by NFL Net at 1 yr and $1.5 M, leaves Miami with $17M in cap space should it choose to add CB, etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:05 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Probably waiting for a CB veteran to be cut because of an up and coming youngster.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:38 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hypocritex wrote:
Probably waiting for a CB veteran to be cut because of an up and coming youngster.

I think so at this point. Looks like Leon Hall is wanting more than people are wanting to pay.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:32 pm 

phinsfansc wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

I think so at this point. Looks like Leon Hall is wanting more than people are wanting to pay.

So teams are playing chicken with him. Will he come down? Sure he will, eventually, if nobody pays what he asks for. I know he's not as good as he once was, but I still prefer him to Cromartie. I will be very surprised if we don't sign somebody to challenge for a starting position before we're very into camp.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:18 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

k-dash wrote:

So teams are playing chicken with him. Will he come down? Sure he will, eventually, if nobody pays what he asks for. I know he's not as good as he once was, but I still prefer him to Cromartie. I will be very surprised if we don't sign somebody to challenge for a starting position before we're very into camp.

He's not that good at all.. We ought to wait and see what shakes out in the coming months. You never know.

Also never know if Ifo Ekpre-Olumu will get healthy. If he is. He is a 1st round talent and gives us some good competition. I'll be curious to see. I had high hopes for him coming out.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:41 pm 

hypocritex wrote:
k-dash wrote:

He's not that good at all.. We ought to wait and see what shakes out in the coming months. You never know.

Also never know if Ifo Ekpre-Olumu will get healthy. If he is. He is a 1st round talent and gives us some good competition. I'll be curious to see. I had high hopes for him coming out.

I felt the same way about Ifo. We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:02 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
Deal, reported by NFL Net at 1 yr and $1.5 M, leaves Miami with $17M in cap space should it choose to add CB, etc.[/i][/b]

Is that all for a former 'starter' who is a dependable rotational player?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:11 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:

Hypocritex, this kid could end up being a steal for the Dolphins. If he comes back healthy, he would make an awesome slot cover man. He is fast and agile and has a knack for making plays. Low risk potentially high reward signing.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]