Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

:headscratch

It will be interesting to see if the Browns were "the Browns" in cutting him.

Barry Jackson wrote:
With Dolphins executive Mike Tannenbaum confirming today that Iko Ekpre-Olomu has been cleared to do everything, an interesting battle looms with front-runner Bobby McCain for the slot corner job, with former Cowboys nickel back Tyler Patmon also in the mix.

Bengals free agent Leon Hall is still available, but the Dolphins haven't brought him in for a visit. Hall, who underwent back surgery earlier this offseason, has visited four teams but remains unsigned.

"Excited to see what he can do," Tannenbaum said of Ekpre Olomu, who fell from a likely early-round pick to a seventh-rounder in 2015 because of the devastating knee injury that sidelined him his rookie season and eventually led to the Cleveland Browns releasing him this past March. "He's done everything we've asked so far."

So if the 5-9 Ekpre Olomu regains what he had before the injury, what could the Dolphins be getting?

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein wrote this before the draft, after his injury in advance of Oregon's playoff game that season: "What he lacks in measurables, he makes up for with production, natural ability and confidence. He might lack the size teams want from an outside cornerback, but he's more than capable of playing in the slot and playing press, off or zone effectively.

"Very fluid mover. He can transition like his hips are on a swivel and he has the foot quickness in tight spaces to match. Instinctive and alert. Will transition from man or zone coverage and become a willing tackler against crossing routes that enter his side of the field. Not a robotic defender -- adjusts on the fly as plays unfold. Uses the boundary effectively. Doesn't shy away from tackling. Competitive and won't prematurely open up out of fear. Tracks the ball effectively and has plus ball skills. Mentally tough and twitchy. Playmaking tendencies. Aggressive for size in press coverage. Has experience outside and in the slot. Projected as an NFL gunner on special teams."

But... "He gets in trouble trying to bait throws," Zierlein said. "Spends too much time trying to read quarterback and jump routes. Scouting community down on short cornerbacks. Prefers to play trail technique but lacks length speed to recover when challenged over the top against bigger targets. Missed more tackles in 2014 than in any other season. Can get wild and lose technique as a tackler. Tape from 2014 has scouts questioning his long speed."

Zierlein quoted an AFC South scout saying this before the 2015 draft: "He's tough and has ball skills. He's just being asked to go play right now but he'll get the right technique work in our league and watch how good he becomes then. He's going to be great."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... canes.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Miami might have gotten a steal with Iko. He was projected as a borderline 1st round pick coming out of Oregon and was a bonafide playmaker.

He and Bobby McClain could be two nice slot cornerbacks.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:23 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

5'9? Hmm..Didn't realize that. He plays bigger then that.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:45 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tony, this kid could be a gem in the slot cover spot. If he comes back healthy, he could be a playmaker for the secondary.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:59 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

hypocritex wrote:
5'9? Hmm..Didn't realize that. He plays bigger then that.

You're right. Watch his tape, even in the run game you seldom have the impression that he's a little guy. He's really scrappy and instinctive.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:31 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Tony, this kid could be a gem in the slot cover spot. If he comes back healthy, he could be a playmaker for the secondary.

I think so as well Karl. I have read a good deal about Vance Joseph and his ability to get the most out of his defensive backs, and you can see how much Adam Jones improved and had his best years with the Bengals. In Iko and Bobby McClain, he has 2 guys that are ideal for the slot. Quick, aggressive, confident kids that could matchup well with the Julian Edlemann's of the world.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:16 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

How great to finally have a defense that will be as strong in the 4th quarter as it is in the 1st quarter.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:56 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

He's small but he's a bulldog. Reminds me of Antoine Winfield.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:45 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
He's small but he's a bulldog. Reminds me of Antoine Winfield.

Interesting comparison.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:03 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Also.. I am quite sure his first name is Ifo not Iko

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

hypocritex wrote:
Also.. I am quite sure his first name is Ifo not Iko

Yep. I fixed it in the title.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever