Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:13 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dave Hyde wrote:
What's not to like? The Super Bowl returns to its best stage. Dolphins owner Steve Ross gets rewarded for spending nearly a half-billion dollars to upgrade his stadium rather than suck at the public trough like every other team owner.

The 2020 Super Bowl, coming to South Florida as announced Tuesday, even has a marketable timeline: The 100th anniversary of the NFL for lovers of round numbers; and the 54th Super Bowl for lovers of Roman Numerals.

Ross did what owners rarely do. After failing to secure public funding, he dug deep into his deep pockets. He rebuilt his own stadium. He's already is paying $4 million in local stadium taxes each year as the owner of his stadium as opposed to the zero taxes the other pro teams here pay.

Now, as noted Tuesday by Rodney Barreto, chairman of the South Florida Super Bowl Bid Committee, this announcement wouldn't have happened if Mr. Ross didn't "write a $450 million check to renovate the stadium ..."

Ross bent in to whisper, "I wish it was $450 million."

"Uh, a $500 million check," Barreto said.

Let's put this in local perspective. The rest of our pro sports teams do what American sports owners do. They take whatever they can. The Marlins got about $500 million in public money for a new stadium.

Then there's Ross, who actually owns his own stadium (paying $4 million a year in taxes) and writes his own checks. So with Tuesday's Super Bowl news it's time to say something rarely said to sports owners and never when their teams lose like the Dolphins:

Thank you.

Thank you for not sucking down public money. Thank you for showing America's sports owners there's another way to do business. And thank you for delivering another big event to an area that loves big events.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... olumn.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:45 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

*Cue all the Ross haters finding something to complain about with this... "Yeah, but..."

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:01 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Greatest owner ever. Not only will we be the first team to play in a Super Bowl at home but we will be defending our own title. Thank you Mr. Ross. Just the best. We are so lucky.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:31 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Greatest owner ever. Not only will we be the first team to play in a Super Bowl at home but we will be defending our own title. Thank you Mr. Ross. Just the best. We are so lucky.

.......and there we are, right on time.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
*Cue all the Ross haters finding something to complain about with this... "Yeah, but..."

He's a good businessman. Hopefully he finally has the front office personnel in place to give us a winning team ... that way it takes him out of the equation.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:55 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

k-dash wrote:

Yeah, but I don't care because I would rather have Miami IN a Superbowl than have a Superbowl IN Miami.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
k-dash wrote:

He's a good businessman. Hopefully he finally has the front office personnel in place to give us a winning team ... that way it takes him out of the equation.

Ross has never interfered with his football people. His only mistake is having the wrong people in place, and as you mentioned, hopefully he has got that in place now finally.

I give him props for stepping up and doing what he did. After the fiasco of Marlins Park, no one wanted to stomach public funds for renovations of a multi billion dollar industry stadium.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:16 am 

phinsfansc wrote:
Ross has never interfered with his football people.

Except that one time when he went to interview one coach while still having another in place.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Except that one time when he went to interview one coach while still having another in place.

Forgot about the Jim Harbaugh Saga.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Let's not forget about his biggest sin: having Joe Philbin report to him rather than the GM. He refused to fire him when he was advised to do so.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]