All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:38 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Vance Joseph is making an impression on his players; a different one, it seems, than his predecessor. This from the Miami Herald:
Quote:
Dolphins players often questioned the wisdom of ex-coordinator Kevin Coyle’s defense. Not so with Coyle’s replacement, Vance Joseph.

“VJ is brilliant,” Jenkins said. “That’s the one thing I can say. He’s brilliant and he’s passionate and you can feel it. I think he commands the defense and when he’s in front of the room, everyone’s listening.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/m ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:15 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

It would be nice for this stuff to come to a reality in the regular season and carry over..

I really like his thoughts on the 34 vs 43 stuff, its all about personnel and the rest is just numbers. Over the years looking at the DC's and hearing we are 34 they are 43 everything would have to change...
Finally we have a coord who is capable of calling plays based on the personnel group he has now rather than what his former team was set up for..

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:12 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Yeah, so here is what Dolphins players were saying about Coyle when he first came in.

Quote:
“He’s a laid-back guy, has a sense of humor, but he demands a lot out of you, wants to make sure you’re on point,” Dansby said.

Cornerback Sean Smith called Coyle a “technician” who is constantly harping on veterans to use proper technique and fundamentals. Smith said Coyle pays special attention to the defensive backs given his background, and is “always throwing in his two cents.”

“He always wants us to take the proper steps, with the proper alignments, everything,” Smith said. “It’s good for us. When we’re tired, fourth quarter and fatigue sets in, you definitely want your fundamentals to kick in.”

Defensive end Jared Odrick said he appreciates how Coyle starts off each meeting with a personal story and goes out of his way to try to relate to the players.

“Today he started off talking about Memorial Day and how much he respects the veterans, and how thankful we should be,” Odrick said after Tuesday’s practice. “Coach Coyle takes a more personalized approach with the way he coaches and just the way he is in the building.”

The players still don’t know too much about the new defense – “we see the potential, we just have to put it all together,” Dansby said – but Smith expects the new defense to be much simpler than the 3-4 scheme they ran under Nolan.

Though the Dolphins finished sixth in total defense in 2010 and sixth in points allowed in 2011, they had too many mental breakdowns to count in the first half of last season, contributing greatly to their 0-7 start.

“It’s real simple,” Smith said of the new defense. “It allows guys to play fast. There’s not too much thinking going on, so it lets guys run around and make plays. It’s going to be good for us.”

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... ordinator/

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:58 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Probably why we parted ways with those guys...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:04 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

im not going off of what our players are saying, I'm encouraged about what others around the league (players and personnel) have said about Gase and Joseph.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:39 pm 

I get that this time of year all the players are going to say all the right stuff about their new bosses. But Joseph has intensity and passion. He seems like an alpha among alphas, and though that doesn't necessarily translate into success on the field, it'll be a refreshing change.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:34 am 

swerve13 wrote:
im not going off of what our players are saying, I'm encouraged about what others around the league (players and personnel) have said about Gase and Joseph.

Yeah well everyone was singing Philbin's praises when we hired him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:36 am 

k-dash wrote:
I get that this time of year all the players are going to say all the right stuff about their new bosses. But Joseph has intensity and passion. He seems like an alpha among alphas, and though that doesn't necessarily translate into success on the field, it'll be a refreshing change.

Coyle had passion too. Everytime they showed him on TV in the booth he was animated.

It comes down to... Are you smarter than the offensive coordinator you're matched up against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I thnk the good thing is that the players are excited about the new schemes and the changes. That means they are embracing the changes. Are they better than under Philben & Coyle? Right now, the IQ seems to be much higher with the new staff. I'm excited, but I am also reserved because I've bought into the pre season hype many times before. I am expecting good things, but we have to expect it to take time for everyone to learn the new schemes.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]