View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 OT: Three of "Core Four" Jets unlikely to receive new deals 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

OT: Three of "Core Four" Jets unlikely to receive new deals
Quote:
Three of "Core Four" Jets unlikely to receive new deals
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 13, 2010 9:03 AM ET

M. Tannenbaum.jpgNick Mangold can consider all the holdouts he wants. According to Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and David Harris "will not" get contract extensions in 2010.

This prediction wasn't positioned as headline news. "The Jets probably won't admit this publicly, but I think they've already make a decision to wait," he writes.

Ah, but Cimini usually possesses a clear idea of what the Jets front office is thinking. Darrelle Revis positioned himself to get a new deal with insane play, but the other three of the Jets' "core four" players may have to wait until a new collective bargaining agreement is reached. Like so many others.

This strategy could give Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum greater headaches in 2011. Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Antonio Cromartie are also slated to become free agents then.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... new-deals/

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: OT: Three of "Core Four" Jets unlikely to receive new deals
They can't afford all of those contracts. And they haven't had any draft picks the past 3 or 4 years, so it's not like they have replacements lined up.

Winning the Super Bowl of March 3 years straight usually gets you to some serious cap troubles down the road, like we're seeing with NY.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:45 am

The Jets are just a pathetic jinxed franchise. They can just load up all they want like in the past & they still wont win another super bowl. Much was the same when Parcells was at the helm there as well. They always seem to have the names but not the substance. Quite honestly I am beginning to think Parcells shot his load with the Giants.
All that being said the games between AFC east teams are USUALLY always dogfights no matter who comes in with the superior team. They seem to always play each other tough , usually splitting a series or keeping most games close or at least competitive.
All that being said I am not sure if "loading up" is the way to championships. While the Jets & Dolphins seem to want to sign a bunch of guys other teams are starting to gel & made some moves that might not have been as sexy but in the long run might prove to be a more cohesive team on Sundays.
So while I am not gonna cry at any Jet misfortunes we shouldnt always relate them to benefit us.
We still seem to play down to the opposition when playing teams who we clearly should have beaten. I think the worry about your own statement is best here.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:51 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
All that being said I am not sure if "loading up" is the way to championships.

It never has been. Ask any Redskins fan about how well their teams do after signing every big name FA available.

FINesse wrote:
While the Jets & Dolphins seem to want to sign a bunch of guys

Dolphins fans want to sign every guy that comes available. Fans of most teams are probably like that. The management has taken a much better stance. This is the first time since Parcells has been here that we have gone after any big name guys.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:23 am

Quote:
Dolphins fans want to sign every guy that comes available.

Degs you are so right. Maybe its because I dont read any other teams boards but when a guy becomes available it laughable with all the scenarios on why a player wants to be here. Bottom line is players will sign where they can make the most money & if they say they otherwise its because quite frankly there were no ther significant offers.
I think fans are more loyal to players than players to fans.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Quote:
Dolphins fans want to sign every guy that comes available.

Degs you are so right. Maybe its because I dont read any other teams boards but when a guy becomes available it laughable with all the scenarios on why a player wants to be here. Bottom line is players will sign where they can make the most money & if they say they otherwise its because quite frankly there were no ther significant offers.
I think fans are more loyal to players than players to fans.

I've been impressed with the discipline that the Triumverate has displayed. I'm not for jumping on everyone available, but they show more restraint that I would.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]