View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dolphins have Big Plans for ILB/ST Tim Dobbins 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins have Big Plans for ILB/ST Tim Dobbins
Quote:
Dolphins have Big Plans for Tim Dobbins
Mon Jun 14, 2010
www.ffmastermind.com

The Palm Beach Post reports the Miami Dolphins have big plans for ILB Tim Dobbins, who was included in the Dolphins’ trade with the San Diego Chargers that netted the Dolphins the 28th and 40th overall picks in exchange for No. 12.

HC Tony Sparano said Dobbins will not only be an important contributor on special teams – a “four core guy,” as Sparano puts it, meaning Dobbins will likely play on all four special teams units – but he will also push ILB Channing Crowder for a starting spot next to ILB Karlos Dansby.

To prove their faith in Dobbins, the Dolphins cut ILB Reggie Torbor three weeks ago. They also parted ways with ILB Akin Ayodele this offseason. Dansby, Crowder and Dobbins will be the top three linebackers in 2010, with rookie fourth-rounder ILB A.J. Edds also likely pushing for playing time.

“We had our eye on him, to be honest, for some time,” Sparano said of Dobbins after one of the Dolphins’ recent organized team activities. “This guy was an active player out there in his number of plays. Played somewhere around 357 or 347 snaps during the course of the season. Played a few different positions. Had some position flexibility and was darn good on all special teams. So we looked at a player here that in my mind had a pretty clear vision of being able to get some solid plays at the game from in whatever the package might be.”

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:20 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Post Re: Dolphins have Big Plans for ILB/ST Tim Dobbins
Question is: If Dobbins beats out Crowder for the starting role, what do we do with Crowder? Lowering him on the depth chart will decrease his trade value, and he is a firecracker in the lockerroom and a lockerroom favorite. His contract is ridiculously high for an above average player at best. Will the Trifecta cut him, or try and renegoitiate his contract. Got a good feeling about Dobbins, I think he is a stud that was overshadowed by all the sexy names in SD...... Castillo being a fan favorite and Mexican ambassador, Merriman and his roids, Cromartie the Jet, and all the names on offense... There wasnt much room for him in the discussions hence he stayed under the radar abit

Dobbins and Dansby..... the Big D's in the middle, eh
DD- the Chest of disaster?
i dunno, but i see this being a fearsome 2 some

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:04 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

should be another one of the good training camp battles once they get the pads on. I'm hoping Dobbins does beat out Crowder, meaning that he is a better player at ILB......that would equate to a huge upgrade at ILB when the Fins go out and get 2 players better than they guy who was the best at that position last year.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:43 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I think what impresses me most is how involved Sparano is on picking the players he coaches...

I mean how many other coaches can rattle off how many snaps a player had for another team....

I really like our coach and the way it appears to run in the FO

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:56 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Re: Dolphins have Big Plans for ILB/ST Tim Dobbins
in a 3-4 defense the second ilb is much like a dt in a 4-3 scheme except for movemement abilities. Dobbins or Crowder will both be sacrificial pieces meant only to take up blockers to free up other players to make plays, anything else from Crowder or Dobbins any productivity at all must then be considered extra. G wilson was cut last season because he did not make plays, crowder was not cut last season and he did not make plays. Dansby is in miami to be a playmaker but dobbins and crowder are just meat, muscle and heart. They are mere pawns, but even a pawn advantage can enable a decisive victory in a match

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:36 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

glassblaster24 wrote:
in a 3-4 defense the second ilb is much like a dt in a 4-3 scheme except for movemement abilities. Dobbins or Crowder will both be sacrificial pieces meant only to take up blockers to free up other players to make plays, anything else from Crowder or Dobbins any productivity at all must then be considered extra. G wilson was cut last season because he did not make plays, crowder was not cut last season and he did not make plays. Dansby is in miami to be a playmaker but dobbins and crowder are just meat, muscle and heart. They are mere pawns, but even a pawn advantage can enable a decisive victory in a match

I like this guy. He knows what he's talking about. I'm in agreement. I think Crowder/Dobbins will really thrive playing next to Dansby.

Welcome to Phinfever, glassblaster!

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]