Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Draft fun 8 days out.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:26 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I thought it might be fun and spark some good discussion if 8 days before the draft I posted this and challenged other members to do the same. At Fanspeak http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/
you can play GM and draft players in the 2017 draft. (It's realistic in the fact that you can't just draft the players you want, you have to draft players that fall to your position.)

Thanks to Swerve and Jammer and I've taken a huge interest in this draft because it's defensively heavily, and we need defensive players, badly.

This is how I approached it realistically: I've read a lot about Miami's mindset and how they want to kill it in the draft combined with the #NEWMIAMI culture. I agree with their philosophy of going BPA for the 1st and 2nd round but do think you can marry BPA with need easily in this draft. I see guard and LB as absolute, must have needs for us.

This is how it went:

22: R1P22 G FORREST LAMP WESTERN KENTUCKY
I was absolutely ecstatic to grab him. He's the player I want most for us. There is no position we need more in my opinion. Immediate starter at LG that can play center and even one of the tackle positions if we need him to.

54: R2P22 LB RAEKWON MCMILLAN OHIO STATE
Another absolute need. Inside or out, he's an immediate starter and we need LB's that cover in the short passing game or a true MLB.

97: R3P33 CB AHKELLO WITHERSPOON COLORADO
Not completely thrilled with this pick, but I wanted a cornerback or Edge rusher and he was the best pick available.

Now this is what I would do if I was allowed to draft who I wanted to, ignoring that approach.

22: R1P22 QB PATRICK MAHOMES II TEXAS TECH
I freely admit I have a mancrush on this guy. I'm not a Tannehill hater, I think him and Gase will do fine, but he's no Marino and I want the next one. (PM is more like Brett Farve 2.0) He'll have to sit a year, but when he takes the field--watch out.

54: R2P22 CB CHIDOBE AWUZIE COLORADO
I wanted a guard with this pick though we need defense, but do not want to waste a year of Ajayi's career. A guard that could play center will make our offense a juggernaut to be feared. I would have taken ASIATA with this pick in a heartbeat but Awuzie fell to me and I had to pull the trigger.

97: R3P33 G ISAAC ASIATA UTAH
I got lucky here. The guy I wanted fell to me in the third round though I would have traded up to grab him in the second if I could.

I'm confident with this draft in round 5 I could find sleepers at CB and Safety for the defense, with Edge rusher waiting till next year.

Anyone else up for taking this challenge?

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]