View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Nick Saban apologizes to Miami 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Nick Saban apologizes to Miami
Quote:
As the 2006 NFL season moved toward a conclusion and the Alabama coaching job remained vacant, rumors mounted that Dolphins coach Nick Saban could be the next Alabama coach.

So what was Saban's position on the matter? "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

And then, after the season, he abruptly became the Alabama coach.

In a new interview with Steve Greenberg of Sporting News, Saban addresses the situation.

"Well, honesty and integrity is an important part of our character, my character," Saban said. "Those are words that we use all the time. I think that in an effort to protect our team at Miami -- because I had not talked to Alabama and did not talk to them until the season ended -- I express that (character is important) to (Alabama) through my agent and said it was up to them whether they wanted to wait and that I would not make any promises. I would talk to them then, [and] I would only reassess my circumstances and our situation as a family at the end of the year.

"But I kept getting asked about this over and over and over, and in trying to defuse the interest and leave the focus on our team in Miami (long pause) . . . I had a responsibility and obligation to the players on that team, the coaches on the staff, and I didn't want that to be the focus of attention.

"So would I manage it differently? Absolutely. I would still have the same integrity for our team, but I just would not answer any questions relative to Alabama. . . . I do apologize for any professional mishandling that might have occurred."

He used a lot of words to say what he could have said very simply -- that he should have said nothing about the Alabama job, period.

Saban also claims that, in his two years with the Dolphins, "we made the organization better."

(It's a good thing that he did, or they may have been 0-16 instead of 1-15 the year after he left.)

"We had an opportunity to get a quarterback in Drew Brees or Daunte Culpepper and we probably missed out on the physical well-being of those two players; we took the guy that we felt was more healthy, and he wasn't healthy," Saban said. "No disrespect to him; he did the best he could, Daunte Culpepper. Drew Brees didn't have any problems and ended up having a great career. Had that been different, I think we'd have made our team a lot better.

"We didn't have a quarterback the second year, and it affected our ability to be successful. But we made improvements as a team; we made improvements on defense. So I don't really feel like I took one on the chin. I don't really feel like we failed."

Some Dolphins fans will likely disagree. But they won't disagree on the "professional mishandling" point. That said, they'd likely use more colorful terms when describing what Saban did, and what they regard him to be.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -dolphins/

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Nick Saban apologizes to Miami
man, screw that guy.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:38 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

*eye roll*... let the bs begin.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Apology NOT accepted..

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:07 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

ok, next time i feel the need to lie through my teeth, can i just call it " professional mishandling" and every thing will be peachy?

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:38 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Satan is the perfect nick name for him.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:00 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

paydurt wrote:
Apology NOT accepted..

I feel the same.... :boo: Saban sucks....

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:33 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
"But I kept getting asked about this over and over and over, and in trying to defuse the interest and leave the focus on our team in Miami (long pause) . . . I had a responsibility and obligation to the players on that team, the coaches on the staff, and I didn't want that to be the focus of attention.

Same old Saban-schpeel. He's blaming the media now. The media saw smoke in Alabama and called it a fire ... and it was. Lying is one thing and forgivable, but leaving the Dolphins the way he did showed everyone his integrity. He sent out an email to his coaches, and left Huizenga holding the news conference instead of being a man and addressing us himself.

Quote:
Saban also claims that, in his two years with the Dolphins, "we made the organization better."

In some ways I agree with this. I think the team was seriously mismanaged by Cameron and was better than 1-15. The good thing is that Cameron gave us Parcells and Jake Long. Also, I blame his GM Mueller for Saban's crappy 2nd year on the personnel side. Nothing was added in his 2nd year. Saban did start the 3-4 defensive scheme and give Parcells a head-start ... which prolonged Jason Taylor's effectiveness.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:47 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

How many of Saban's draft picks are still on the team? Yea 'improved the team' my arse!

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:58 am

Phin wrote:
How many of Saban's draft picks are still on the team? Yea 'improved the team' my arse!

Ronnie, Channing, Jason Allen.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:58 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

ya i looked this up too, talk about terrible at evaluating talent

thanks for ronnie, channing is a solid player at times, and jason allen...ugh

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Whatever Nick....who cares about this article anyway? This gets printed a few years later? Why?

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

He also brought in Wes Welker, Jason Taylor had a defensive MVP season, and the offense was a tackle and quarterback away from being very good. It's not Saban's fault that Cameron came in and destroyed everything. He did improve the 4-12 team that he inherited.

That doesn't mean he's a saint for leaving, he's a jerk for that. Maybe he didn't belong in the NFL, but it's not like he left the Dolphins in shambles. That was Cam Cameron.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:01 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

ROLL TIDE!

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:41 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Finhead wrote:
Whatever Nick....who cares about this article anyway? This gets printed a few years later? Why?

Easy... he wants to buy his way back to the NFL... Screw you Nick!

So after 3 years he decides it should be wise to apologize? What a retard, no need for explanations, apology NOT ACCEPTED.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:19 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Seriously...now that he feels he's accomplished something in Alabama he has the nads to come out of hiding and face what he did in Miami. What a schmuck...

Not interested in your apology sir...please go away.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Coots wrote:
ROLL TIDE!

:) touche Coots!!!

BTW ... There is no way Saban is even thinking about the NFL. So these theories that he is doing this now because of that is way off base. If anything he is doing this now because rightfully so he feels a little guilty. But he is far to successful at the college level now to even consider the pros again , that has got to be out of his system.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:42 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:
BTW ... There is no way Saban is even thinking about the NFL. So these theories that he is doing this now because of that is way off base. If anything he is doing this now because rightfully so he feels a little guilty. But he is far to successful at the college level now to even consider the pros again , that has got to be out of his system.

I agree, Mitch. He's just trying to save a little face after how he left the Dolphins. And, of course he will say that he left the Dolphins in good shape considering that only Jason Allen is left from his 2nd (and last NFL draft) and the Dolphins finished 1-15 immediately after he left.

I still liked Saban as our coach and I feel that he could have been successful in the NFL, but let's be honest: he came here after the Dolphins were 4-12 and when he left the Dolphins were 6-10. He didn't do a whole lot of improvement.

BTW, here's the article that FINesse is talking about:
Yahoo News: Is Nick Saban apologizing his way back into the NFL?

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]