All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:39 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Guys, Rich cannot do it for last night's game, but I am going to link this post on the front page for Rich's "Good, Bad, Ugly" blog article. Give me your good, bad, and ugly and why.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:34 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Good: Cutler (unicorn game)
Bad: Defense
Ugly: 3rd Down Defense

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:03 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

A stumbling 4-4 team that may wind up 4-12 doesn't have many "goods" to speak of, although we can scratch and dig and find that Parker is back and our FG kicker didn't get hurt.

Another national TV loss that wasn't really that competitive is "ugly" as it continues to brand this team.

And other than the numerous "bads" all well documented after 8 weeks, this game gave me a couple of more. On the Raiders last TD drive a 2nd and 12 from inside their own 20 a completion to Crabtree that hit the turf was not challenged as the Raiders quickly lined up and snapped it. Where was Miami's braintrust? Well, I can't say for sure on that play where Gase was but a couple of plays later the camera showed him sitting down by the bench studying his very thin playbook. He might have been there when the head coach, I repeat, the Head Frikken' Coach, was needed up front to quickly throw the challenge flag. A very likely reversal of the completion would have resulted in a 3rd and 12 and well, I like our chances even though the Raiders converted third downs all night. We force them to punt, down 4 and who knows? But we were sleep at the wheel. Who does Gase put in charge on the sideline when he goes into his full-time offensive coordinator role? I hope someone, but that someone surely didn't know what to do if in fact there was someone in charge.

And later, after the Fins last TD, the team is forced to use their last TO before the 2-pt attempt. Surely Gase told everyone, not that they needed to be told as all of us knew it, that they had to go for the 2-pts, thus get the personnel ready for play X. Whatever happened, the team did not line up ready, no urgency on everyone's part and the camera caught Gase cursing into his headphone mic.

It may be time to dump someone else to prove you are in charge Gase. Maybe we get a 7th round pick in 2050 for the clueless assistant that was the target of that "F***!" that Gase uttered?

Just a couple of observations that indicate, or I should say may indicate, a lack of "command and control" exercised by Wonder Boy Gase. Just pile these on top of the rest of the "bads".....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
A stumbling 4-4 team that may wind up 4-12 doesn't have many "goods" to speak of, although we can scratch and dig and find that Parker is back and our FG kicker didn't get hurt.

Another national TV loss that wasn't really that competitive is "ugly" as it continues to brand this team.

And other than the numerous "bads" all well documented after 8 weeks, this game gave me a couple of more. On the Raiders last TD drive a 2nd and 12 from inside their own 20 a completion to Crabtree that hit the turf was not challenged as the Raiders quickly lined up and snapped it. Where was Miami's braintrust? Well, I can't say for sure on that play where Gase was but a couple of plays later the camera showed him sitting down by the bench studying his very thin playbook. He might have been there when the head coach, I repeat, the Head Frikken' Coach, was needed up front to quickly throw the challenge flag. A very likely reversal of the completion would have resulted in a 3rd and 12 and well, I like our chances even though the Raiders converted third downs all night. We force them to punt, down 4 and who knows? But we were sleep at the wheel. Who does Gase put in charge on the sideline when he goes into his full-time offensive coordinator role? I hope someone, but that someone surely didn't know what to do if in fact there was someone in charge.

And later, after the Fins last TD, the team is forced to use their last TO before the 2-pt attempt. Surely Gase told everyone, not that they needed to be told as all of us knew it, that they had to go for the 2-pts, thus get the personnel ready for play X. Whatever happened, the team did not line up ready, no urgency on everyone's part and the camera caught Gase cursing into his headphone mic.

It may be time to dump someone else to prove you are in charge Gase. Maybe we get a 7th round pick in 2050 for the clueless assistant that was the target of that "F***!" that Gase uttered?

Just a couple of observations that indicate, or I should say may indicate, a lack of "command and control" exercised by Wonder Boy Gase. Just pile these on top of the rest of the "bads".....

On point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 pm 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Here is my summary of last night.

The Good
- Cutler's performance was very good. 34/42, 311, 3TDs, 0 INTs. While they did not stretch the field too much, he was on target with the short stuff all night. Definitely a career night for him. If he could continue to play like this, we have a chance to win ball games
- The onside kick in the 1H. This was brilliant, as the Raiders were caught flat footed and it was an easy recovery to keep the momentum. It was a shame that it was ruined by the Drake fumble (see below).
- The overall play from Williams and Drake was solid and we saw glimpses of what they could do.

The Bad
- The defense was not very good. Carr and Lynch were moving the ball at will and it seemed like we could not get them off the field. The Raiders were 8/15 conversions on 3rd down. The pass coverage looked invisible at times (44yd TD to Holton). Tackling on Lynch was just bad. I am surprised that they did not run Lynch more.
- Giving up the FG at the end of the 1st half was just terrible.

Ugly
- The fumble by Drake to stop a key drive after recovering the onside kick really changed the momentum of the game. Instead of extending the lead, the Raiders turned it into points and they never gave up the lead. The disappointing part of this play is that Drake, for the most part, played very well. Just Ugly.
- Penalties 11-107. Especially the ones in the 2H. They stopped at least 3 Dolphin 2H drives where we had good field position, and turned potential game changing drives into 3 and outs. Then there were the consecutive defensive penalties that set up an easy Raider TD. Really Ugly.

Overall a losing effort, but there were a couple of shining moments. This was definitely better than last week, which was a complete disaster. We had our chances to win this one, as the offense at times looked very good. The team needs to get more disciplined, otherwise we are going to lose a lot more games.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Fish Baron wrote:
Here is my summary of last night.

The Good
- Cutler's performance was very good. 34/42, 311, 3TDs, 0 INTs. While they did not stretch the field too much, he was on target with the short stuff all night. Definitely a career night for him. If he could continue to play like this, we have a chance to win ball games
- The onside kick in the 1H. This was brilliant, as the Raiders were caught flat footed and it was an easy recovery to keep the momentum. It was a shame that it was ruined by the Drake fumble (see below).
- The overall play from Williams and Drake was solid and we saw glimpses of what they could do.

The Bad
- The defense was not very good. Carr and Lynch were moving the ball at will and it seemed like we could not get them off the field. The Raiders were 8/15 conversions on 3rd down. The pass coverage looked invisible at times (44yd TD to Holton). Tackling on Lynch was just bad. I am surprised that they did not run Lynch more.
- Giving up the FG at the end of the 1st half was just terrible.

Ugly
- The fumble by Drake to stop a key drive after recovering the onside kick really changed the momentum of the game. Instead of extending the lead, the Raiders turned it into points and they never gave up the lead. The disappointing part of this play is that Drake, for the most part, played very well. Just Ugly.
- Penalties 11-107. Especially the ones in the 2H. They stopped at least 3 Dolphin 2H drives where we had good field position, and turned potential game changing drives into 3 and outs. Then there were the consecutive defensive penalties that set up an easy Raider TD. Really Ugly.

Overall a losing effort, but there were a couple of shining moments. This was definitely better than last week, which was a complete disaster. We had our chances to win this one, as the offense at times looked very good. The team needs to get more disciplined, otherwise we are going to lose a lot more games.

Good points. Welcome to the board.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:06 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Reversals are called down to him from the booth, but someone dropped the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:06 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami committed drive killing penalties over and over. That is why they lost. How many big runs or passes were negated by holding calls? When your QB cannot get the ball downfield, whether it be his cracked ribs or a line that can't by him enough time, you cannot set them up with 2 and 20.

This team beat itself with undisciplined penalties. The challenge flag play was not a turning point or a deciding factor. The team had lost long before that and you could feel it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:

Gase isn't the issue but does need to train an OC... BB is one of the greatest DC's to have ever coached but gives that duty to someone else. The TO wouldn't have mattered. They needed the onside kick recovery whether they had the 1 TO or didn't. Dumping Ajayi for a bag of footballs versus coaching him up was a cunty move. Didn't like it and will never like it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:18 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

jammer wrote:
Miami committed drive killing penalties over and over. This team beat itself with undisciplined penalties. The challenge flag play was not a turning point or a deciding factor. The team had lost long before that and you could feel it.

perhaps but of that you are not sure, no one can but wouldn't it have been nice to try and find out? Too bad we couldn't because Gase's hierarchy is not on the ball.

and I do agree with the rest of what you said, but that is who the Dolphins are and they can't afford coaching lapses in addition to their lacking in most areas, specifically preparedness, discipline and talent. Ummm....wait, I think that is most areas. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Good - Punter didn't shank a punt all night. OL pass blocked on point all evening. Backs were great out of the backfield catching the ball and did a good job blocking. The play calling was much more aggressive than I thought given Cutler's Ribs. The DT's and LB's did a good job stopping the run. We had a Thomas sighting at TE

The bad - Kenny Stills didn't have a single deep ball thrown his way. The run blocking was again suspect. The DE's couldn't apply pressure and were simply swallowed by the Oakland Tackles. Your kicker went from kicking one of the best onside kicks I've ever seen to the worst. Suh heading to the locker room. The Pass Coverage again sucked.

The ugly - The turnover and penalties. Penalties were about the same in number for both teams but Miami's penalties were always drive killers or giving huge chunks of yardage to the Raiders. Losing at home to a team that has been struggling all season. Similar theme to last week. If your team is struggling, schedule a date with Miami...they'll fix all your ills.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:26 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

NFLJunkie wrote:
carreramia wrote:
A stumbling 4-4 team that may wind up 4-12 doesn't have many "goods" to speak of, although we can scratch and dig and find that Parker is back and our FG kicker didn't get hurt......

Gase isn't the issue but does need to train an OC... BB is one of the greatest DC's to have ever coached but gives that duty to someone else. The TO wouldn't have mattered. They needed the onside kick recovery whether they had the 1 TO or didn't. Dumping Ajayi for a bag of footballs versus coaching him up was a cunty move. Didn't like it and will never like it.

Well, maybe not so much now, there is a larger number of other things to consider before getting to the head coach, but he's slowly making his way there. Agree that the TO wasn't life ending but it just showed a growing sample of troubling things that point directly back to him. And wait a minute. Isn't this guy Christensen the offensive coordinator? Hmmmm.....shades of the Giants maybe? Maybe Gase should drop this pretend play caller/OC thing of his and concentrate on head coaching the thing. Just give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:14 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

What drives me nuts. When the opponent has it 3rd and 9 and they can score a 13 yd pass, with the WR wide open. Yet when Miami has it 3rd and 6. Miami can only score a 2 yd pass with a defender draped
all over him..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:52 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Why could nobody cover Jared Cook all night???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:12 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:
jammer wrote:
Miami committed drive killing penalties over and over. This team beat itself with undisciplined penalties. The challenge flag play was not a turning point or a deciding factor. The team had lost long before that and you could feel it.

perhaps but of that you are not sure, no one can but wouldn't it have been nice to try and find out? Too bad we couldn't because Gase's hierarchy is not on the ball.

and I do agree with the rest of what you said, but that is who the Dolphins are and they can't afford coaching lapses in addition to their lacking in most areas, specifically preparedness, discipline and talent. Ummm....wait, I think that is most areas. Sorry.

I'm not saying Gase was perfect and didn't have his flaws. But I think he had the right plan to get his team ahead quickly and it would have changed the entire game. His players didn't execute.

There is a definite lack of confidence on offense. I know you aren't a Tannehill guy, and I'm not saying he is elite by any stretch, but by this point last year the team seemed to know both he and Ajayi were each good for a few drives per game. The defense was far worse than this year, but they did enough to keep things competitive and the offense just made those clutch plays.

Now the offense clearly cannot overcome big yardage issues because Cutler and/or the line can't get anything to develop beyond 10 yards. I had been saying for a few games that something seemed different about Ajayi as well. I didn't know if it was confidence but now it was him straying off the reservation and eventually off the team.

When you lose wto very key pieces like that it is hard to overcome.

To your points about Gase, I don't disagree. He may have to surrender a little power on offense to sharpen up his overall game management. He may have a little too much faith in himself in turning chicken poop into chicken salad. I just think last night he had a pretty good scheme in place and the offense should have scored 30+.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:30 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Dolphin Dad wrote:

He plays TE. In 30 yrs Miami has yet to figure out how to cover one or what to do with their own.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:49 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Dphins4me wrote:
Dolphin Dad wrote:

He plays TE. In 30 yrs Miami has yet to figure out how to cover one or what to do with their own.

This would be funny if so not true...sigh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:53 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

The good, Gase finally called a good game offensively.

The bad: we were offered two defining moments to put this game away. The perfect onside kick, and Suh stripping Carr for that fumble. We didn't capitalize on either, and winners always do. Big fails for us. Not ready for prime time or to make noise in the playoffs.

The ugly: penalties. We deserved some, but some were just plain ticky-tacky.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:39 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

zatrex99 wrote:
Not ready for prime time.

1-9 the last 10 prime time games.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:
Not ready for prime time.