View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Six teams that won't return to NFL playoffs in '10 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Six teams that won't return to NFL playoffs in '10
Quote:
Six teams that won't return to NFL playoffs in '10
Mike Florio
Friday, Jun. 18, 2010 - 11:25 a.m. ET

Earlier this week, I assumed that recent history will hold firm in 2010, and that half of the NFL teams that made it to the postseason in 2009 won't make it back this year.

New York Jets

All-Star teams generate a lot of buzz, but they rarely accomplish anything when it counts.

In New York, the already enhanced expectations from a 9-7 season that ended with a berth to the AFC title game went through the roof of their roofless new stadium via the collection of big-name players like LaDainian Tomlinson, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, and Jason Taylor.

Apart from the fact the Jets will be wearing a gigantic bull's-eye in every game, discontent among players who believe the team promised to "take care" of them could conspire to "take care" of the team's chances in 2010.

New England Patriots

Yes, the Patriots will be contenders for as long as quarterback Tom Brady and coach Bill Belichick are in New England. But that doesn't mean they'll make it to the playoffs every year.

A vague sense has developed that the team's run of greatness is much closer to the end than to the beginning. Brady has been vocal regarding problems with work ethic and responsiveness to coaching, and his message may not be heeded by teammates given his decision to stay in L.A. for much of the offseason.

While the team has enough talent to excel, the rest of the league has caught up with the Pats — and this could be only the third time since 2001 that they failed to punch through to the playoffs.

Cincinnati Bengals

Philadelphia Eagles

New Orleans Saints

Arizona Cardinals

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Six teams that won't return to NFL playoffs in '10
One "big name" player that the Jets signed is looking slower than ever. And don't think that JT isn't far behind. The wheels fall of quickly for aging stars.

Quote:
LaDainian LaDone?
Thu Jun 24, 2010
www.ffmastermind.com

The National Football Post reports it hasn't exactly been a scintillating offseason of minicamps for newly-minted New York Jets RB LaDainian Tomlinson. The early reviews haven't been good. The recent New York Post headline: 'Face facts, Jets, LaDainian is pretty much LaDone' says it all. But keep in mind that negative conclusion is based on minicamps. Per the report, Tomlinson hasn't looked good during practice sessions. "Even without pads or contact, it didn't take a grizzled NFL scout to notice in the Jets' recent workouts that Tomlinson just doesn't look like the same player who terrified opposing defenses with his slippery moves and sublime hands for nine seasons with the Chargers," the Post reports. "Tomlinson appears bulkier and definitely a step (or three) slower than he did in his prime, which is to be expected from a running back who next week turns 31 -- increasingly the point of no return in the NFL -- with his incredible amount of mileage." An NFL general manager agrees with the Post, too. "If you watch the films from the end of last year, the guy had nothing left," the unnamed GM said. "It's not a knock on him personally. All those carries are going to catch up to anyone."

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:54 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Like I've been saying...how did the Jets get better in the off season? Seriously?

Holmes was a good move, I'll give them that. But LT for Jones is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade. They cut Faneca; no replacement. Traded Rhodes; no replacement. They'll cut Shaun Ellis later this off season; no replacement. Antonio Cromartie sucks and does not match up well against the AFC East's number 2 WR's AT ALL. Traded Leon Washington; replaced him with a rookie RB from USC...that should work out great *slaps head*.

They have gotten worse this off season. I can't wait until the season starts and Rex Ryan starts telling the media that they should be favorites for the Super Bowl when they're 3-5, and Jets fans rip him for it.

And let's not forget that their 3 best players are all disgruntled with their contract situation, their star NT is coming off a serious injury, and their young QB is the most overrated, overhyped, over-advertised player in the NFL.

The Jets are an old worn out team that won't win more than 8 games this season. Guaranteed.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:27 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
Like I've been saying...how did the Jets get better in the off season? Seriously?

Holmes was a good move, I'll give them that. But LT for Jones is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade. They cut Faneca; no replacement. Traded Rhodes; no replacement. They'll cut Shaun Ellis later this off season; no replacement. Antonio Cromartie sucks and does not match up well against the AFC East's number 2 WR's AT ALL. Traded Leon Washington; replaced him with a rookie RB from USC...that should work out great *slaps head*.

They have gotten worse this off season. I can't wait until the season starts and Rex Ryan starts telling the media that they should be favorites for the Super Bowl when they're 3-5, and Jets fans rip him for it.

And let's not forget that their 3 best players are all disgruntled with their contract situation, their star NT is coming off a serious injury, and their young QB is the most overrated, overhyped, over-advertised player in the NFL.

The Jets are an old worn out team that won't win more than 8 games this season. Guaranteed.

Yeah I must say I've never been worried about them at all with these moves they're doing. I've watched the Redskins make similar moves year after year after year and get nowhere.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:45 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I can't wait to watch them implode just so I can laugh in the faces of all the Jets fans who act as though their team is God's gift to the NFL.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
They have gotten worse this off season.

Add that to the fact they were 7-7 going into two throw away games by the Colts and Bengals. Then they play a lackluster Bengals team in the playoffs, and the Chargers find a way to lose, not the Jets win.
So luck got them 11 wins, and now they are worse. I give them 6 wins this season. Patriots go 0-16.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:23 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:
Patriots go 0-16.

A little biased now, aren't we?

:)

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Patriots go 0-16.

A little biased now, aren't we?

:)

:fart:

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 am
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Wow, so doing the math if NE and NYJ don't make the playoffs and the Bills are horrible and may not win 2 games.... WE WIN THE DIVISION EASY!!!!

This is the first time I can remember Florio not saying something derogatory about Miami. Wow!

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]