All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:39 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

We were so soft in the middle last year, but I'm not sure if that were Alonzo's fault. Still, the Dolphins liked him so much in the middle last year that they threw a lot of money at him to stay. He has to be a better option in the middle than Hull or Chase. Alonzo loved playing in the middle,so, I'd move him back.

Armando Salguero wrote:
We heard ad nauseam this summer how Burke wanted to cross-train his linebackers. He refused to say what position the linebackers were playing. He didn’t even tell the players.

Eventually we found out that somebody would play in the middle -- be it Mike Hull, Rey Maualuga or Chase Allen -- while Kiko Alonso played weakside outside linebacker and Lawrence Timmons played strongside outside linebacker.

This was interesting because the Dolphins moved Alonso from the middle, where he had a good season in 2016.

All good, except the plan is failing.

Now, I didn’t go to defensive coordinator school. I didn’t take linebacker coaching in college. But I can see from 200 yards away in a press box that Miami’s linebackers are not getting it done.

The Dolphins have a soft spot in the middle of their front seven where a solid middle linebacker is supposed to be -- where Raekwon McMillan is slated to be next season. Except it’s still this season.

So Alonso should have been moved back to the middle as soon as Rey Maualuga, who Burke vouched for, got arrested at 8:30 in the morning at some club and was immediately cut.

At that point, and for the good of the team, I’m putting Alonso in the middle.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

the fact that THIS Dolphins front office, screwed up as it is, threw money at Alonso does not make Alonso a player worth talking about or even keeping if it were financially feasible. This team was bottom worthy in run defense last year and our boy Kiko was as responsible as anyone else, making tackles five, six yards downfield. The guy isn't even a LB for crissakes, just look at his thin physique, he's manhandled by even the smallest of offensive linemen and don't even talk about his coverage skills. This team doesn't play much with a full fledged MLB anyway, just look at their alignments and you'll see Alonso six, seven yards downfield, like a middle safety. He tries to run around blocks because he doesn't have the bulk to meet them head on. Which is why the team went after the AWOL guy, who is a true inside LB.

Miami needs to scrap their whole defensive scheme, get another DC, throw away all the garbage they have, expensive garbage, and build for the future. The only starters worth keeping are the rook DT and DE, Wake for his heart and still above average talent/skills, the two safeties and the young CBs. Dump Suh somehow, Alonso too if he wasn't more expensive to cut than keep, the AWOL guy, Branch....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:08 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

He is all world at missing tackles.....

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]