All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I know he is expensive, but he is our best receiver. He gives everything he has on every single play. You reward players like that.

Joe Schad wrote:
Sign Jarvis Landry. Sign Jarvis Landry. Sign Jarvis Landry.

Last year we banged the bongos for a Reshad Jones extension, and it came, and it was warranted. This season has shown, more than ever, that Landry cannot be allowed to get away. While DeVante Parker has disappointed in his lack of ability to attack the ball, that’s exactly what Landry does. It’s what he’s always done. The ball is his. He plays without fear. He turns into a running back after the catch. He makes the extra yards. He knows how to reach the first-down marker. As outlined in a post-game column on Sunday, pay Landry. Pay him about $13 million a season, which is about what Alshon Jeffery and T.Y. Hilton make, and sort it out. Make it work. Keep Landry in place because he represents everything you want Adam Gase’s Dolphins to be. Landry really compliments speedster Kenny Stills well. And we can all look forward to 2018, when Ryan Tannehill triumphantly returns to target Stills and Landry (we think) once again. Landry breaks tackles (see below). Landry may not be Julio Jones, A.J. Green or Dez Bryant, but he’s a irreplaceable player who brings a championship mentality. He is a competitor who produces and who brings the type of energy, passion and emotion that endears him to most every Dolphins fan, as well as his coaches and teammates.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... -a-review/

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Only have 1 paid weapon on the WR group... They can afford to pay him at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:32 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

He really is the type guy you build a team around...Make this his team!

He is a Miami Dolphin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:34 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:
He really is the type guy you build a team around...Make this his team!

He is a Miami Dolphin.

We drafted him. He plays lights out on every play. He practices hard every practice. He is a good blocking WR which helps break runs in his direction. Those are the guys you reward. Besides, he is a fan favorite. That makes money for the team in merchandise and tickets. Where would this offense be without Landry?

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:20 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If you're trying to mirror the Pats success then you don't pay a slot receiver $13M/year. Edelman's contract averages $4.25M/yr with $8M guaranteed. Landry maybe the best, but the Team needs to find a suitable replacement at lower cost.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:37 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

shularino wrote:
If you're trying to mirror the Pats success then you don't pay a slot receiver $13M/year. Edelman's contract averages $4.25M/yr with $8M guaranteed. Landry maybe the best, but the Team needs to find a suitable replacement at lower cost.

How do you find a suitable replacement for the best slot receiver in the NFL who averages between 5-15 catches per game, consistently and is basically OBJ Jr.? I'll wait....

That being said resigning Jarvis should be a NO BRAINER which I've said since before the season started when everyone was riding Parker's jock on his unproven potential. Parker is injury prone and doesn't play with enough heart while Kenny Stills tends to define boom or bust more so then consistency. Jarvis is our best offensive player, Cutler's Hit will be off the books and shift that money towards Landry's wallet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:07 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

shularino wrote:

I'm not sure this is a fair comparison. Julian Edelman is a fine slot receiver in NE, but his ability to get open is helped by the fact that teams always had to account for multiple weapons. Even though the Pats rarely had a top notch boundary WR, you still had to account for them, Gronk, and the running backs. Look over their stats and its a pretty decent spreading of throws. Edelman dominates because McDaniels gets him in space and Brady has the accuracy to get him YAC opportunities.

Landry is not and has not been catching passes from a HOF QB. He also has younger WRs who cannot get on the field and run incorrect routes. He's never had a good TE to draw defenders in the middle of the field. He's pretty much been asked to do it all. If Miami is committing to Tannehill for 2018 then give him the guy he's had the best rapport with.

I doubt Landry gets $13 million per year on the open market, but Miami can give him a lot of guaranteed money while reducing his annual cap hit for the time being. I think the brass has learned very quickly that Parker will not be the alpha they hoped for. You have to keep the guys who produce, and right now its Landry and Stills.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

OverTheTannehill wrote:
How do you find a suitable replacement for the best slot receiver in the NFL who averages between 5-15 catches per game, consistently and is basically OBJ Jr.? I'll wait....

That being said resigning Jarvis should be a NO BRAINER which I've said since before the season started when everyone was riding Parker's jock on his unproven potential. Parker is injury prone and doesn't play with enough heart while Kenny Stills tends to define boom or bust more so then consistency. Jarvis is our best offensive player, Cutler's Hit will be off the books and shift that money towards Landry's wallet.

Suitable does not mean equal. The number one goal, as in many years past, is to solidify the O line. In the past, Gase has said his goal is to replicate the Patriots' Organization.......that indicates you don't spend big $$ on slot receivers. I like Landry a lot, but on a 52 man roster, the slot WR position is not worth 8% of the salary cap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:19 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

shularino wrote:
OverTheTannehill wrote:

Suitable does not mean equal. The number one goal, as in many years past, is to solidify the O line. In the past, Gase has said his goal is to replicate the Patriots' Organization.......that indicates you don't spend big $$ on slot receivers. I like Landry a lot, but on a 52 man roster, the slot WR position is not worth 8% of the salary cap.

Ya, our line needs to be upgraded more than our Qb... They give up more sacks than everyone in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:38 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

before we go and rationalize losing Landry because of money let's remember this front office's horrible record at drafting talent......does anyone really think they can find a replacement? Give me one reason why I should believe in TennenBUM and his Keystone Cops front office. I'll give you two why they can't: Parker and Carroo. And I'll add losing Charles Clay, signing Cameron Jordan, Julius Thomas, etc. I mean, it could take decades of drafting and I don't have that much time left in this here planet.

So the price to pay for that incompetence is they have to keep Landry and pay they must. If Tannehill returns to form he will need a Landry, besides of course two guards, a center, a right tackle, a TE, improved play calling, etc, etc., but let's not quibble. Keeping Landry allows these blowhards in the FO to concentrate in blowing more picks next year. But at least we'll have ONE talented receiver on the roster, which is more than I can say for all other position groups.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:08 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Landry is a great player, but not the type of breakaway monster WR1, but that is the money he will ask for. Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:48 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phinished wrote:
Landry is a great player, but not the type of breakaway monster WR1, but that is the money he will ask for. Sigh.

You are absolutely right, Landry is not a monster WR1 but by our standards he is and we have to pay him. The alternative of letting him go, like it was with Ajayi, is that this team regresses even more. Isn't the idea that we should be getting better?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:32 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
And I'll add losing Charles Clay, signing Cameron Jordan, Julius Thomas, etc.

Julius Thomas

37 362 9.8 3td

Career 222 2,380 36td

Charles Clay

32 378 2td

Career 301 3,267 23td

Is Thomas really worse than Clay?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:23 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

see, that's the problem with straight out stats, they don't tell the whole story....the Fins have had no continuity at the position, shuffling through various acquisitions trying to get back to what they already had had with Clay. The turnover didn't help an already anemic offense and also didn't help Tannehill's development as he had to work with new people every other year it seemed. Clay was young with great upside and it could be safe to assume that he would only get better.

The Fins made a mistake (yeah, shocking news that!) in their evaluation of Cameron as he didn't do squat even when healthy and you can't tell me that Thomas, advertised as a friend of Gase, intimately familiar with his offense (big effin' deal!), and despite his recent production miniscule by top TE standards but HOF stuff by ours, has made any difference. Heck, even today people are already counting cap savings by cutting his a**.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

This is a VERY GOOD TE draft. As we've discussed in a few other threads, if Miami moves on from Parker and nets, at worst, a late 3rd Rounder it could be used to finally grab a quality TE.

Clay was certainly on the ascent and had good chemistry with Tannehill, but his injuries made that a bad contract for Buffalo. I think its safe to assume that if a guy is injury prone it really doesn't matter which team he's on.

Miami really has to make a decision on Parker over the next 4 games. I know players can sometimes blossom much later in their careers, but the Landry contract situation isn't going to wait much longer. Might be time to see if Carroo gives you quality snaps.

There are some quality, tall WRs in this draft who aren't pegged to be early picks. Simmie Cobbs Jr from Indiana and Jaleel Scott from New Mexico St come to mind. I don't want Miami spending another 1st Rounder on the position. Then maybe look at Troy Fumagalli from Wisconsin to groom as your TE.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:16 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

As good as he is im thinking if we dont start winning he starts whining. Would like to see him signed but if he goes elsewhere im not so sure I would lose sleep.
Let Gase get his guys. Fire Tannenbaum.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:38 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
If you're trying to mirror the Pats success

No one has. End of discussion. Pay the man.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

26 Million tied up in a DT leaves no money to resign home grown play makers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

There is money to sign Landry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:51 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

bobby0112 wrote:
26 Million tied up in a DT leaves no money to resign home grown play makers.

I think you are gonna see some cap relief this offseason from this deal....And it don't effect Landry either way, really.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:18 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

pay da man

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]