All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:18 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I'm not the GM, I sadly don't own the Dolphins. But because this is fun to do, here are the moves I would make this offseason, realistically, and according to what little I know about Gase's offense, and the wide 9 defense. And that we're all in on Tannehill. (I dare Jammer to do better BTW, double dare you)

I'm letting Landry go. Thomas and Timmons as well. I'm only going to resign James for 5 million a year. No more. I could go with Jesse Davis at RT, he's slowly won me over.

I want Hayes, Allen, Thomas, Young, Denney and Cody Parkey back from our UFA's. The rest can go.

I'm trading D. Parker to Cleveland for a third round pick.

In FA:

I want to sign Martavius Bryant WR. He's my top target. He did get suspended for a year, and this year demanded a trade because he wasn't playing enough. I know, another head case, but I've watched this kid a lot. He is always a threat to take it to the house. I'll take this one chance, this year.

I also want Terrelle Pryor, wr, though Cleveland wants him back too. Alt: Marquise Lee, Allen Robinson, wr.

For back up qb, I'm choosing Mark Sanchez.

The draft.

Let me explain what I tried to do with this. I think I have a sense of how our FO sees the value in players vs need. I do think they have a plan and each draft keeps building the nucleus of the team they want then married that to what I think they should do in the framework of all that. (So no QB's in the 1st round or OL)

I'm well aware they would still like to find that one shutdown CB, but I don't see one in this draft.

I also went through several drafts of Fanspeaks to see how things usually played out. So this is somewhat realistically possible.

I wanted to take advanage of the QB's that should go high in round one to find that one impactful, playmaking defensive player, and to get one of the good guards in round 2.

In every draft, no matter how I varied it, I got the two players I wanted most realistically (In one draft I could have gotten Mayfield and Arden Key.)

R1P11 Roquon Smith OLB/ILB Georgia
R2P10 ISAIAH WYNN G GEORGIA

Here is where I took a chance because I like tweeners and think our FO would love him if they're watching. He may not even be here, because he is rising up the draft board fast. Very Jason Tayoresque (This is why I traded Parker to Cleveland.)

R3P1 MARCUS DAVENPORT Edge UTSA

A rb that I think fits Gase's system.

R3P11 BO SCARBROUGH RB ALABAMA

Another guard.

R4P11 BRADEN SMITH G AUBURN

To continue our success on sleepers in late rounds and a TE in the mold of Donald Sims

R4P29 DALLAS GOEDERT TE SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

And finally a qb to develop.

224: R6P11 JARRETT STIDHAM QB AUBURN
224: R6P11 Logan Woodside QB Toledo

(I didn't pick for the two 7ths we have, too much of a guessing game.)

With all of that we should have a much better team that could drive deep into the playoffs, and it's all doable.

Last edited by zatrex99 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:31 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Well, Jarrett Stidham is going back for 2018 so your entire plan has imploded...ok, not completely.

I like what you did and you actually had a few moves that made me curious. Not sure I think the guys you had in the draft will be there when you predict but how the heck do any of us know at this point. Challenge accepted!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:36 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Well, Jarrett Stidham is going back for 2018 so your entire plan has imploded...ok, not completely.

I like what you did and you actually had a few moves that made me curious. Not sure I think the guys you had in the draft will be there when you predict but how the heck do any of us know at this point. Challenge accepted!

Corrected, LOL.

You don't really know where anyone is going, all you can do is go through the prospects and use their rank, or like I did, run through several drafts with different settings to get a basic idea.
(Unrealistic being drafting Barkley, Nelson, and Key with your first three picks.)

And I didn't mean only Jammer and I can do this, I'll comment on whoever does their own version.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:22 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Super conspiracy theory before I go for a comprehensive plan:

Word is Jon Gruden is not a Derek Carr fan and was big on Connor Cook. What if Miami was able to swing a trade for Derek Carr: trade Tannehill for picks, franchise Landry and send him and those picks to Oakland Soon to be Las Vegas for Derek Carr? Also rumored that Oakland is cutting Michael Crabtree. Sign him up to go with Carr.

Okay, now I'll wake up to reality.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:35 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Super conspiracy theory before I go for a comprehensive plan:

Word is Jon Gruden is not a Derek Carr fan and was big on Connor Cook. What if Miami was able to swing a trade for Derek Carr: trade Tannehill for picks, franchise Landry and send him and those picks to Oakland Soon to be Las Vegas for Derek Carr? Also rumored that Oakland is cutting Michael Crabtree. Sign him up to go with Carr.

Okay, now I'll wake up to reality.

LOL, I'd take both in a heartbeat. If Philbin was still here, he's do it, but not Gase. Tannehill is his guy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Ok, so I guess I have to do this by timeline of what would go down.

First thing is cuts - I cut Julius Thomas, Lawrence Timmons and Ja'Wuan James. I then designate Andre Branch as a post June 1st cut. I just freed up $21 million to add to my $17 million in current cap space.

Now I look at who I have under contract or get back as cheap RFAs:

Ryan Tannehill, David Fales, Brandon Doughty, Kenyan Drake, Senorise Perry, Deveon Smith, Kenny Stills, Devante Parker, Jakeem Grant, Leonte Carroo, Isaiah Ford, Rashawn Scott, AJ Derby, Marquise Gray, Thomas Duarte, Laremy Tunsil, Ted Larsen, Mike Pouncey, Jesse Davis, Sam Young, Jake Brendel, Eric Smith, Isaac Asiata, Anthony Steen, John Denney, Matt Haack.

Ndomakung Suh, Jordan Phillips, Davon Godchaux, Vincent Taylor, Cameron Wake, Charles Harris, Cameron Malveaux, Kiko Alonso, Stephone Anthony, Raekwon McMillan, Chase Allen, Mike Hull, Neville Hewitt, Xavien Howard, Bobby McCain, Cordrea Tankersley, Tony Lippett, Tory McTyer, Reshad Jones, TJ McDonald, Maurice Smith, Tracy Howard.

Because you can have 90+ guys on the team going into camp we'll just leave most of these guys here for now.

First up I transition tag Jarvis Landry which eats up about $14 million but gets me draft picks if another team signs him. He's a good short term answer and without the commitment I can give his snaps to young guys if he goes off script. If another team signs him I split his snaps between Carroo and Grant while heavily looking at a good draft pick as well.

With $24 million in cap space I re-sign Damien Williams ($2 million), William Hayes ($4 million), Terence Fede ($1.5 million), and Michael Thomas ($3 million).

With $13.5 million left I know I need about $7 million for rookies so not much left to play with. Therefore I ask Tannehill and Pouncey to restructure knowing that it probably is a bit more expensive to cut them after 2018 (but at that point Miami can afford the extra hit). I've now added $9 million in space for about $15 million in post rookie cap space.

I'm okay with David Fales backing up Tannehill, but strongly want a capable rookie drafted knowing 3 QBs will be on the 53.

Starters on offense - Tannehill, Drake, Stills, Landry, Parker, Derby, Tunsil, Larsen, Pouncey, Davis, Young.

I look at that and immediately know I need quick upgrades at LG, RT and TE.

Starters in base 4-3 - Harris, Suh, Phillips, Hayes, Alonso, McMillan, Anthony, Howard, Tankersley, Jones, McDonald.

Definitely need LB upgrade and a true FS.

I need a TE who can block and will target a pass catching TE in the draft. I attempt to sign Troy Niklas from Arizona for $3 million to be what Fasano was supposed to be.

Laugh if you must, but that's it. No more free agent money or rebuilds. Win with this bunch or blow it up. I'm not overpaying any OL prospects and I know James isn't coming back cheaply. Teams are flush with cash and will give him $8 million to be an average starter. I don't like Sam Young for 16 games, but I'm willing to pair him with a rookie. LB unfortunately looks really weak free agent wise. Need to look at the draft.

So I have the 11th pick, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, a pair of 4th Rounders, 6th rounder and a pair of 7th rounders. Trying to be realistic on who will be available.

11th pick - Derwin James, S, FSU becomes my true FS

2nd Round - Jamarco Jones, OT, OSU becomes starting RT

3rd Round - Troy Fumagali, TE, WI can block and catch

4th Round - Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond Gase's new project and the Jimmy G of the draft

4th Round - Micah Kiser, LB, VA will get starter snaps

6th Round - Sean Welsh, C, IA future starter potential

7th Round - Kendall Joseph, LB, Clemson speedy LB

7th Round - Robert Foester, WR/KR, AL can take return duties from Drake and Grant

That's all I have now. Its hard because I can't shake the mentality of what I think the brass will do. I also would blow it up myself and get a Tannenbaum replacement. Give Gase, Grier and new GM a couple years to build what they want, not a "strings attached" deal that Tannenbaum offered.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:09 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I like my plan better than yours, but yours is probably closer to what they'll do predraft.

I'm not fine just drafting a qb, I want us to go out and get a backup that could give us a few quality starts, and I'm not impressed with Fales.

Draft wise I sort of like what you've done. James would be my backup pick if Smith isn't there. Jones isn't a bad pick at with #2 pick. I liked Wynn better because he can possibly play C,T or G. Price I thought would go to early.

I don't know about you, but I had problems identifying a LB to solve our pass coverage problems in the lower rounds.

I'm not sure about Kyle Lauletta as the qb to draft, but you and I tend have different opinions on QB. I also know you like me follow CK Parrot. He's really been touting Chris Streveler, SD. I'd like to see us grab one of these guys and really develop them, not just give them the mushroom treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:25 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I usually add to this but have been out of it the last two years. Appreciate the post. Just stop sucking.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]