Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problems on the Horizon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Went on Twitter and the first things I see are TJ McDonald possibly going to jail and Armando writing an article that philosophical differences are brewing between two parties in Davie. :hithead:

So McDonald had a DUI (why he was suspended) and was given community service and programs to attend in exchange for probation. He didn't hold up his end of the bargain and now the probation was revoked. He is due in court in March and could face jail time. Didn't the brass just talk about him being the hybrid they need? Awesome.

Philosophical differences? This is a much bigger problem and one I've hinted at before. Salguero's article revolves around drafting a QB early (when doesn't it in Dolphin Land). His inside sources say the team knows they need to draft a QB to solidify the position. Those same sources said Tannehill has no issue with it and a drafted QB will not effect him being the starter in 2018 (nothing new there). But here comes the problem -

Apparently one side believes the team is in good shape and only a few pieces away. 2017 was an anomaly of bad luck and the draft should not be saddled with a luxury pick of an early QB. The other side believes major changes are needed and this team is nowhere close. If you see a franchise QB you take one, even if he doesn't play for 2 or 3 years.

Remember when I mentioned Matt Cannata saying there is rumored tension between Gase and Tannenbaum? Oh boy. And, remember that Gase getting the job was contingent upon making Tannehill realize his potential? Oh boy.

This is where confusion sets in for me because those stories don't jive with what Salguero wrote about Gase getting what he wants. My interpretation was that Gase liked what he had after 2016 and demanded Miami retain his guys. He also basically implied this year would have been a success if not for Tannehill's injury. So he's the guy who believes they are close, right? But...

If Tannenbaum realizes he needs to tear it down and stop letting Gase determine who stays, and, he recognizes you take a franchise QB when one presents himself...whoa wait a minute, didn't he force Tannehill on Gase?

Tannehill and a 1st Round QB are not mutually exclusive. You can have both and be fine. If Tannehill takes his game to another level you have a great trade chip in whomever they select. If he plays good ball but maxes out at what we saw in 2016 you have his replacement waiting in the wings.

But this seems to go deeper than just QB. There is clearly a divide and it could come to a boiling point that costs people their jobs. We saw this in the power struggle of Ireland and Philbin. I thought the whole point of this Tannenbaum/Grier/Gase trio was everyone was on the same page?

I have a sneaking suspicion this could be an ugly offseason that does not end well. Hopefully this is just Armando being dramatic and in turn me passing the drama on to you guys. But man if we have to endure another bummer of a season followed by an overhaul...I'll just stop right there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Quick update - sounds like McDonald is temporarily out of hot water, just needs to get off his rear and finish his end of the deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I remember finishing my last hour of community service the prior night to going to court (wasn’t for a DUI). They can be lenient.

You could be a sports journalist for a living jam. You have better English skills than most frauds out there and have common sense, a clear head and a non biased way of thinking. That is severely lacking nowadays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:10 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/sta ... 5634772992

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I remember finishing my last hour of community service the prior night to going to court (wasn’t for a DUI). They can be lenient.

You could be a sports journalist for a living jam. You have better English skills than most frauds out there and have common sense, a clear head and a non biased way of thinking. That is severely lacking nowadays.

Thanks bud. I just enjoy passing along what I read and throwing in my two cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article193978414.html

Reading the full article, it makes it sound like Armando is using a rumor of offseason discord:

Quote:
There is an internal disagreement within the Dolphins organization now in which one side believes the team is on the right track and very close to being good and the other side believes significant and meaningful changes need to be made because the team is not necessarily on the right track.

It doesn't say what they actually disagree on player position wise, but capitalizes on this quote from Grier which is pure draft smokescreen.

Quote:
“You’ve been around me for a couple of years now,” Grier said. “We’ve said we’ll always take the best player on our board. I’ve talked from Day One, we’ve talked about the J.J. Watt thing. At [defensive] end we have [Cameron] Wake and whatever; but if J.J. Watt’s on the draft board and we’re picking, we’re not going to pass on J.J. Watt because at defensive end we feel good. So, all positions, I mean again, we’re evaluating everything. Every position, it doesn’t matter ... quarterback, tackle, defensive tackle, everything’s wide open for us.”

If this discord (first quote) is true, and I'm doubting the credibility of Armando here because this sounds like he's on a crusade, which side is which is going to be extremely important to the team. In theory, we are only a few players away from being a respectable playoff team if Tanehill comes back strong.

In reality, Philbin neutered or removed all veteran leadership. Couple that with a very young green coaching staff across the board with an influx of young talent, and you'll get nothing but trouble.

So if Gase is the one saying significant and meaningful changes need to happen, I'll take that as a good sign, that he's learning from his mistakes and wants to correct them. You have to hope he's recognized he's made mistakes and is not just blaming players.

Now if Tannebaum is the one saying it, I'm worried. Either he actually sees the problem or this is a powerplay. Part of me wonders if this is about Suh and switching to a 3-4 defense.

I'm also now worried about the philosophy of how we pick in the first rounds. They seem to like to take chances on guys with issues: motor problems, injuries, attitude problems, dreaming on guys (projecting on wow factors that don't translate to actual play.)

It scares me they wanted Eli Apple, Jaylen Smith, picked Tunsil (motor problems), Harris (dreaming on that wicked spin move.) I still have high hopes for Tunsil and Harris, because sometimes these guys work out, but mostly they don't. You want to draft sure things in the first and 2nd round, then take chances on guys on in the later rounds. I really hope they haven't fallen in love with Josh Allen, qb, Wyoming.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:28 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I get what you mean about the philosophy, I think, but an important thing to remember is that there are NO sure things in any round. Not for any team, no matter how good a team is at projecting. I know that you know that, but in every single case a team is balancing what a player has on tape with the physical attributes they possess. Put too much stock in measurables and you end up the Cleveland Browns. Put too much stock in the tape and you end up missing on some guys b/c of the level of their competition, or relative depth at their position on their college team, the system they played in, etc.

My philosophy is basically to take the highest graded player in the first round, regardless of position; then highest rated player at a position of need in the next couple rounds, then just plug holes after that. Then again, nobody has asked me to draft for them yet, so I guess that doesn't matter a whole lot lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:17 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
My philosophy is basically to take the highest graded player in the first round, regardless of position; then highest rated player at a position of need in the next couple rounds, then just plug holes after that. Then again, nobody has asked me to draft for them yet, so I guess that doesn't matter a whole lot lol.

That's not a bad philosophy. I'd refine it to if I'm picking in the top ten go best BPA, if I'm drafting after that go for Need married to BPA, then draft need after that, occasionally taking a shot on a sleeper in rounds 3-5. I'd remove qb's from my board though and make them a separate entity.

You're right, nobody is perfect, and nobody hits all the time. I just worry they're not doing the best job of evaluating players. Or recognizing how to develop them and when to start using them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I want this to explode....and I don't think there's a way TennenBUM would survive it, and that's what I want the most, for this guy to leave. His record isn't worthy of getting the nod by Ross over Gase. Gase as head coach is much more valuable given that a re-start with a change at head coach is a tremendous liability for the team, much less if a change at the top (TennenBUM) is made.

And I can't see in this spaghetti of a situation TennenBUM wanting a QB in the 1st round. He's looking out for his job and surely he's telling Ross in private that they are those few pieces away. Going after a QB in round 1 does not help his case as that is a futures kind of move and TennenBUM, despite all his shortcomings, isn't dumb enough to think he can outlive Gase here if the losing continues and his draft picks continue to under achieve.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

When it comes to the draft my sense is Tannenbaum consults Grier and his analytics people, brings the options to Gase, and Gase says "yeah this guy is okay, that guy is no good, I can work with this guy, etc.". Then Tannenbaum makes the call on draft day. We know he overruled Hickey at least once so clearly he has some direct say.

I don't think Gase has any concern about job security. He believes he'll be in Miami for the next decade. We know he vouches for "his guys" once they're here or if he has coached them before. The more I reflect on it the more I could see Gase being indifferent to a QB selection, so long as it is an asset for the team. A coach lacking confidence knows a 1st Round rookie QB probably buys him more time.

Zatrex hit on a good point about the shift in defense, and this is something Matt Cannata floated. Gase wanted a 3-4 defense but Tannenbaum already built it around Suh and the Wide 9. Tough to tell if he is pushing for a major shift because there was no noise around several recent replacement options.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:16 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Let's take this to another level of discord. What if it isn't a broad brush opinion from either side? What if Gase is saying the offense is fine we just need Tannehill back, but the defense needs to be redone. On the flip side Tannenbaum says no we need a home run QB in the bullpen and the defense just suffered some bad injuries.

Its strange because the messaging and logic appear to be all over the map.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:39 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Let's take this to another level of discord. What if it isn't a broad brush opinion from either side? What if Gase is saying the offense is fine we just need Tannehill back, but the defense needs to be redone. On the flip side Tannenbaum says no we need a home run QB in the bullpen and the defense just suffered some bad injuries.

Its strange because the messaging and logic appear to be all over the map.

See this is what I'm really wondering. I don't have any fumes of fumes of rumors to support it other than Gase has said he wants a 3-4 defense. I'm guessing if they tried to switch, Suh would have a fit. The 4-3 we have now is built around him, he's the star of it. I'm assuming for some reason he couldn't be a star as a DE in a 4-3. And Suh is Tannebaum's one big accomplishment here, one we can't get rid of this year.

From Gase's standpoint, when he's trying hard (again I assume) to reestablish control of the team and learn to do his job better, why would he want to think about grooming a rookie qb for the NFL's hardest offense to learn, when he's got a good, very smart (smart is important here) QB in Tannehill?

IDK, I assumed Gase was in control, maybe Tannebaum is making a powerplay?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:50 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
IDK, I assumed Gase was in control, maybe Tannebaum is making a powerplay?

I'm hoping this whole conversation is Salguero stirring up drama for clicks in a lull period, but man this feels like everything spiraled out of control very quickly since that win over the Pats.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:36 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

If you see a franchise QB you take one

Yes you take one. There are 32 QBs and maybe 10 can take their team to the SB. Greenbay without Rodgers...done. Eagles without Weintz...done. Niners win one game and then go undeafted with Jimmy G. Sure it's early but the trend and data is there. If you do not have a franchise QB you can't take a "stud" LB or corner or any other position it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
I really hope they haven't fallen in love with Josh Allen, qb, Wyoming.

The more video I watch of the guy the more I see Tannenbaum written all over him. He makes some seriously impressive throws and has some quality escape acts from pressure...but those stats are hold your nose bad. Wouldn't shock me if Miami pulled trigger at 11.

I'm back on the Sam Darnold bandwagon and would have zero issue trading up to get him. I don't think Cleveland passes though. The thing I like about him is he had to make a lot of tough throws with pressure in his face. Compare that to Mayfield who had a much cleaner pocket and easier system...but I still wouldn't pass on Mayfield at 11.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
The more video I watch of the guy the more I see Tannenbaum written all over him. He makes some seriously impressive throws and has some quality escape acts from pressure...but those stats are hold your nose bad. Wouldn't shock me if Miami pulled trigger at 11.

I'd throw up. Does make impressive throws, does have a cannon for an arm. Impressive athlete with prototypical body. You can dream on what this guy would be if you can do the two impossible things no other team has managed before with a guy like this. Teach them accuracy and transplant a new personality into him. The next Jim Drunkenmiller or Jamarcus Russell.

Quote:
I'm back on the Sam Darnold bandwagon and would have zero issue trading up to get him. I don't think Cleveland passes though. The thing I like about him is he had to make a lot of tough throws with pressure in his face. Compare that to Mayfield who had a much cleaner pocket and easier system...but I still wouldn't pass on Mayfield at 11.

Mayfield yes, Darnold I'm still not sure about. I think he'll be good, but will he be any better than Tannehill?

Also, Mayfield doesn't always enjoy a clean pocket and one of the things I love about him is he has excellent pocket presence. He feels the rush, escapes, always looking downfield and rarely makes mistakes doing so. Pressure doesn't get to him. Darnold made more mistakes under pressure from what I saw, but he doesn't usually panic either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
Mayfield yes, Darnold I'm still not sure about. I think he'll be good, but will he be any better than Tannehill?

Also, Mayfield doesn't always enjoy a clean pocket and one of the things I love about him is he has excellent pocket presence. He feels the rush, escapes, always looking downfield and rarely makes mistakes doing so. Pressure doesn't get to him. Darnold made more mistakes under pressure from what I saw, but he doesn't usually panic either.

Fair enough, can't say you're wrong. Just seems like Mayfield had better numbers because he had better resources, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he does have pocket presence and play making ability.

I think Darnold can be what Tannehill is now but much faster (say midway through year 2), and his anticipation throws already rival what Tannehill can do. I could be completely wrong, just some of those throws he makes are eye opening.

Miami will have to trade up if they want either Darnold or Mayfield. Not sure they will do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:41 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Fair enough, can't say you're wrong. Just seems like Mayfield had better numbers because he had better resources, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he does have pocket presence and play making ability.

I'd expect better numbers from Mayfield-demand them since he's playing in a spread offense, and Darnold played in a pro style. Plus Mayfield has two years on him. I'd feel better about Darnold if he'd stayed another year in college and showed improved numbers.

Mayfield faded in his playoff loss in the second half, so that raises a caution flag for me. They're both going to be in the senior bowl, so there is another chance to get a hard look at them.

Quote:
I think Darnold can be what Tannehill is now but much faster (say midway through year 2), and his anticipation throws already rival what Tannehill can do. I could be completely wrong, just some of those throws he makes are eye opening.

I prefer that he could be next next Big Ben or Andrew Luck comparisons. Mayfield I see the next Drew Brees. He has the kind of accuracy and touch. He's great in putting the ball in front of the WR so they don't have to break stride or turn. In the pocket or pressured.

Quote:
Miami will have to trade up if they want either Darnold or Mayfield. Not sure they will do that.
I really doubt it, LOL.

Last edited by zatrex99 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 pm 

Haven't there been maturity/character issues raised about Mayfield? Is that not a red flag for anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:56 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/mayfield-s-immaturity-disqualifies-him-with-this-heisman-voter/17138005/

If you're thinking about taking Mayfield, you want to do a thorough investigation with rigorous Q and A sessions, but I don't think he's a Johnny Manziel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

This article is a good primer on the qb's.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/1/11/16868576/best-fits-for-nfl-drafts-top-quarterbacks

This quote from it makes me laugh and shiver in horror.

Quote:
Best NFL fit: Star for the Miami Dolphins or New York Jets
Mayfield has the intangibles and talent to be a star quarterback in the NFL if he can keep his head straight. Miami would be a perfect home for Baker Mayfield. Alpha dog and QB guru Adam Gase can polish Baker Mayfield into a star and leader once Tannehill’s time has passed. Combine alpha dogs Gase, Mayfield and Jarvis Landry, and all of a sudden, this team has some much-needed attitude.

However, if the New York Jets decide to draft Mayfield sixth overall, he’ll be the most hated athlete in Miami for the next decade for the amount of times he’ll burn them...and then grab his junk toward the sideline.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
Quote:

I prefer that he could be next next Big Ben or Andrew Luck comparisons. Mayfield I see the next Drew Brees. He has the kind of accuracy and touch. He's great in putting the ball in front of the WR so they don't have to break stride or turn. In the pocket or pressured.

No doubt I'd rather he be an elite type (Big Ben) as opposed to good (Tannehill). I just think with his skill set he could be as far along as Tannehill at a faster pace with the potential to be better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
Haven't there been maturity/character issues raised about Mayfield? Is that not a red flag for anyone?

I didn't like the showboating. I don't mind cockiness, but I do sense immaturity. I'm with zatrex99 as I don't think he is another Johnny Football. I really don't see him being available. His stock will rise during the draft into the top 10. If he is there at 11, I hope Tannenbaum & Grier have their way and draft him. The Chargers drafted Phillip Rivers when they had Drew Brees (Keep in mind that Brees didn't look like today's Drew Brees until the Chargers drafted Rivers. All of a sudden the lights came on. And let's remember that several mocks had Phillip Rivers going to the Dolphins).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
I really don't see him being available. His stock will rise during the draft into the top 10. If he is there at 11, I hope Tannenbaum & Grier have their way and draft him.

Interesting. You're of the belief it is Tannenbaum and not Gase who thinks a QB should be pursued? I don't know myself, but I just like seeing others' interpretations of the internal drama.

I agree with you on Mayfield, and the other QBs for that matter. I think Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen are going top 10, and it might not necessarily be teams currently in those slots. Buffalo, Arizona, Washington, Baltimore, Cincy...all have incentive to move up. I believe Miami does as well, just not for Rosen or Allen.

I think Lamar Jackson may go in the teens via trade up.

The positive, if Miami passes on very early QB, is that Roquan Smith or Derwin James can fall into their laps.

While I worry that he may be another Brandon Weeden (good tools but system guy), I wouldn't be heartbroken if Miami took Mason Rudolph in the 2nd Round knowing he could be a great backup with starter potential. I just wouldn't get my hopes up that he's the guy who will challenge to be a full time starter very early in his career.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
. I really don't see him being available. His stock will rise during the draft into the top 10. If he is there at 11, I hope Tannenbaum & Grier have their way and draft him. The Chargers drafted Phillip Rivers when they had Drew Brees (Keep in mind that Brees didn't look like today's Drew Brees until the Chargers drafted Rivers. All of a sudden the lights came on. And let's remember that several mocks had Phillip Rivers going to the Dolphins).

I really doubt he's available. Dorsey, the GM of the Browns moved up to draft Mahomes when he was with KC last year. If Mayfield is as special as I think, he won't pass on him at #1 or #4. Supposedly, Buffalo's owner really liked Mahomes and was incensed they traded down (one reason he fired his GM after the draft.) They have two first and two second rounders, so I look for them to move up to take one of the QB's (I'd predict Mayfield if Cleveland passes.)

But yeah, I think the kid will be special. If by some miracle he's there and we do draft him, and we resign Landry, just don't make them roomates in training camp.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I agree with you on Mayfield, and the other QBs for that matter. I think Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen are going top 10, and it might not necessarily be teams currently in those slots. Buffalo, Arizona, Washington, Baltimore, Cincy...all have incentive to move up. I believe Miami does as well, just not for Rosen or Allen.

I think Lamar Jackson may go in the teens via trade up.

The positive, if Miami passes on very early QB, is that Roquan Smith or Derwin James can fall into their laps.

While I worry that he may be another Brandon Weeden (good tools but system guy), I wouldn't be heartbroken if Miami took Mason Rudolph in the 2nd Round knowing he could be a great backup with starter potential. I just wouldn't get my hopes up that he's the guy who will challenge to be a full time starter very early in his career.

I really doubt Mayfield will be there at #11, but it should be an exciting draft to watch on the first day.

My early prediction for the first 11 picks:

#1 Browns= Baker Mayfield, QB
#2 Giants=Sam Darnold, QB
#3 Colts=Saquon Barkley, RB (I heard Irsay really wants him)
#4 Browns=Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS (excellent spot to trade to and keep rolling in those extra picks but how can you resist taking two players in the top 5?)
#5 Trade Broncos to Redskins=Josh Rosen, QB
#6 Jets=Josh Allen, QB
#7 Trade Bucs to Buffalo=Lamar Jackson, QB
#8 49ers=Courtland Sutton, WR
#9 Bears=Calvin Ridley, WR
#10 Raiders=??? (I have no idea what Gruden will do, he loves everyone, they're all sure fire picks.)
#11 Dolphins=???
Hopefully Roquan Smith, LB or Derwin James, S
Quentin Nelson, G still available too. (wouldn't he look good next to Tunsil)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Call me crazy but I think its more likely Cleveland takes Saquon Barkley 1st overall, trade a 2nd Rounder for Alex Smith and use their 4th overall pick on a QB.

Cleveland is incredibly young, could use a guy like Smith to get them decent and Barkley helps maximize what Smith can do.

I want to wait and see who the Giants HC is before I even guess, but taking Sam Darnold and having him sit behind Eli for a year is exactly the same strategy they used in 2004 with Eli and Kurt Warner. Like Eli, Darnold is that same prospect that was said to be destined as a top overall pick.

Miami's only shot at any of these guys is trading up with Indy or Denver (should Denver sign Kirk Cousins as is rumored). But it also wouldn't shock me if the Jets make a huge play for Cousins, forcing Denver to draft a guy. Or, would Vance Joseph convince Elway to flip picks with Miami and include Ryan Tannehill so they have a win now situation?

For Miami's part it comes down to a philosophical decision: are we close enough where adding pieces makes sense or do we blow it up?

As I mentioned before, simply having a franchise QB doesn't mean you win. If Miami says lets get the franchise guy, cut the veterans and endure two years of losing in the hopes we are annual contenders for the following five years, well make that earth shattering trade.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:10 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

it is best to not get your hope set on Mansfield being at 11. There are too many QB needy teams ahead of us right now.

rotoworld wrote:
According to Senior Bowl director Phil Savage, the Broncos' coaching staff requested Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield be placed on their team at the upcoming Reese's Senior Bowl. The Broncos are clearly high on the reigning Heisman Trophy winner and want to see him up close and personal at the Senior Bowl, scheduled for January 27 in Mobile, Alabama. Denver's staff will coach one of the two teams with Houston getting the other. The Broncos struggled to a miserable 5-11 record in 2017, in large part due to their instability at quarterback. Rotoworld's Josh Norris had Denver selecting Mayfield fifth overall in his latest mock draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9386/john-elway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

One of the biggest issues Miami needs to fix is the reliance of homerun plays to save the day. Watching Pittsburgh mount a come back yesterday made me think of it when they were throwing deep passes to chip away.

Even in 2016, it was either Ajayi blasting off a 50 yard run or Tannehill heaving a couple of deep passes that positioned the team to score. The offense never consistently moved the chains.

Penalties - Miami had 125 in 2016 and 137 this year, so that issue is nothing new as well.

3rd down Pct - Miami converted 36% in 2016 but only 31% this year.

Where am I going with all of this? Whether it was Tannehill, Moore or Cutler, this team seems to thrive on holding the opponent in check and striking with big plays. Does anyone recall a consistent offense that moved the chains and kept the defense rested?

Now increase the penalties in 2017, and, add a QB who cannot throw the ball downfield on 3rd and long. You go from 10 wins to 6 wins. 2016 Tannehill could at least get you out of some of those 3rd and longs. The second a false start or holding penalty came this year you knew it would end in a punt.

It also takes too darn long to figure out the ground game. It took 5 games in 2016 to realize a committee wasn't working and 7 games this year to realize Ajayi wasn't your answer.

I hope this early purging of position coaches is going to help because it has to start there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:42 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Call me crazy but I think its more likely Cleveland takes Saquon Barkley 1st overall, trade a 2nd Rounder for Alex Smith and use their 4th overall pick on a QB.

Cleveland is incredibly young, could use a guy like Smith to get them decent and Barkley helps maximize what Smith can do.

If I'm Cleveland, I'd flip one of my 3 2nd rounders to the Giants to trade from 1-4 to their 1-2, Take my QB, and then Barkley. Keeps you from getting 3rd choice in the qb lottery.

Right now if I'm Miami (the draft board is still taking shape), I offer Buffalo 1-10 for their 1-21 and 2-21 and draft like this:

1-21 Marcus Davenport, Edge (We need another pass rusher)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAzmQJCLnRA

2-10 Isiah Winn, G (Perfect zone blocking LG for us)

2-21 Deshon Elliot, FS (Ball Hawking FS, lets McDonald move to Hybrid, coverage problems solved)

3-10 (Try to move to 3-1, use future 3) DALLAS GOEDERT, TE

This QB just declared for the draft and I'm intrigued as late round project for eventual starter.
Has a release like Garropolo, waiting for more info...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZWXeo6AD-E

I also like the idea of drafting Quentin Flowers, QB and turning him into a slash qb/wr.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
Right now if I'm Miami (the draft board is still taking shape), I offer Buffalo 1-10 for their 1-21 and 2-21 and draft like this:

This QB just declared for the draft and I'm intrigued as late round project for eventual starter.
Has a release like Garropolo, waiting for more info...

That trade down is a realistic option, especially if Mayfield is on the board or Buffalo covets a guy like Allen.

Litton seems to have some skill but as you mentioned he is a project.

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]