All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:47 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

There is a reason why the "experts" are mocking offensive lineman to us in the first round. I think we will see one drafted, but probably in round 2.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/insid ... raft-order

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So, IF Baker Mayfield falls to us at 11, it would be just like us to pass on him. How many starting QBs in the NFL have we let get past us in the draft? Drew Brees, A-aron Rogers. I think this scenario will show us who is running the show.

Mel Kiper wrote:
1. Cleveland Browns - *Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
2. New York Giants - *Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
3. Indianapolis Colts - Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State
4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans) - *Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
5. Denver Broncos - *Sam Darnold, QB, USC
6. New York Jets - *Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - *Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
8. Chicago Bears - *Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
9. San Francisco 49ers - *Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
10. Oakland Raiders - *Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
11. Miami Dolphins - Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
12. Cincinnati Bengals - *Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
13. Washington Redskins - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
14. Green Bay Packers - Marcus Davenport, DE, UT San Antonio
15. Arizona Cardinals - *Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
16. Baltimore Ravens - *Brian O'Neill, OT, Pittsburgh
17. Los Angeles Chargers - *Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
18. Seattle Seahawks - *Derwin James, S, Florida State
19. Dallas Cowboys - *Vita Vea, DT, Washington
20. Detroit Lions - *Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:12 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I have a hard time seeing Miami draft an o-line guy 1st Round. There is some very good depth in this draft.

If Baker Mayfield is there at 11 I think they start fielding phone calls to trade back. Given the growing love for Mayfield in the media I just don't see him being there at 11, unless of course he flops in the combine/pro day/interview process.

Tannenbaum made Gase inherit Tannehill. Gase is fiercely loyal and will want to prove he can take Tannehill to another level. Its just not a recipe for Miami to think long term.

I do believe Zatrex has nailed it with his guy Chase Litton. Analyst Matt Miller has Litton now listed as his 88th best prospect, which is really high compared to other QBs. I could see Miami going after him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Derwin James, Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Josh Jackson and Vita Vea are all names to watch at 11.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:15 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I have a hard time seeing Miami draft an o-line guy 1st Round. There is some very good depth in this draft.

All the plug and play starters will be off the board by the end of the second round, I think. If a few do fall into the 3rd and 4th round, they may be not be the run zone blockers we need.

Quote:
If Baker Mayfield is there at 11 I think they start fielding phone calls to trade back. Given the growing love for Mayfield in the media I just don't see him being there at 11, unless of course he flops in the combine/pro day/interview process.

Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold all will go in the first 6 picks. If someone falls in love with Allen or Jackson, we may be sitting in prime territory to move down. One of my favorite scenarios is to trade 1-10 to Buffalo for 1-21 and 1-22.

Our ideal draft if we stay put and make no moves at all in the draft:
1-11 Marcus Davenport, Derwin James or Roquan Smith
2-11 Isaiah Winn, G
3-11 Dallas Goedert, TE or Troy Fumagalli, TE
4-11 Justin Reid, S (if we don't pick James at 1)
If James, Then Edge, LB, RB, or OL
4-28 Dorian O'Daniel, OLB
6-11 Chase Litton or Logan Woodside, QB
7-5 Braxton Berrios, Slot WR
7-11 BPA

I really can't believe how high Marcus Davenport keeps going up.

Quote:
I do believe Zatrex has nailed it with his guy Chase Litton. Analyst Matt Miller has Litton now listed as his 88th best prospect, which is really high compared to other QBs. I could see Miami going after him.

So you like what you see, huh? I think 88th might be too high, and I want to see better tape on the guy and how he does at the combine and pro day, but if he really is that high, then I want to find away to grab the extra third pick to get him. He needs to sit for a year at least.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:39 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Depends on what the Phins do with James, but I'm betting he's gone. If a top O Lineman falls to 11, we better take him. It has to start with the OL, that group is an embarrassment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:39 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Just saw Simon tweet this out. Kenny Stills was doing a live something on Instagram apparently, and Baker Mayfield got on and posted #GetMeToMiami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
Just saw Simon tweet this out. Kenny Stills was doing a live something on Instagram apparently, and Baker Mayfield got on and posted #GetMeToMiami

This should have everyone going bonkers until the mocks have him going Top 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'll add this - prior to the start of the season Mayfield was considered a mid round pick with starter potential. The comp was Colt McCoy.

If Miami doesn't draft him it is not the end of the world. For all we know Thorson, Lock, Stidham or a host of others will be considered a top 10 pick next year worthy of Miami's consideration. There may also be a guy we aren't even thinking about at this point.

I'm not saying don't take him, but don't go berserk like many of us did when the Fins passed on Brady Quinn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:05 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Baker Mayfield is a He Just Wins quarterback, as is J.T. Barrett. Lamar Jackson is a He Somehow Overcomes His Vaporous Offensive Line And Defense To Usually Win quarterback. Josh Rosen is your He’s Simply Good At The Physical Act Of Playing Quarterback guy. Sam Darnold has taken the He’s All Over The Place, But Really Looks Like A Quarterback slot.

More reactions to Mel's mock.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/18/16906978/josh-allen-nfl-draft-college-wins-record-wyoming

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:07 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I'll add this - prior to the start of the season Mayfield was considered a mid round pick with starter potential. The comp was Colt McCoy.

If Miami doesn't draft him it is not the end of the world. For all we know Thorson, Lock, Stidham or a host of others will be considered a top 10 pick next year worthy of Miami's consideration. There may also be a guy we aren't even thinking about at this point.

I'm not saying don't take him, but don't go berserk like many of us did when the Fins passed on Brady Quinn.

Especially since we have a qb, unlike then. But very good point.

I just don't want him to go to the Bills or the Jets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:45 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
jammer wrote:

Especially since we have a qb, unlike then. But very good point.

I just don't want him to go to the Bills or the Jets.

If I'm a GM picking before Miami and need a QB, my first interview question is why would you post this? Is our franchise not worthy of your time? He already has some maturity and background issues, so something like this is going to hurt him. He's not Manziel or a toxic entity, but this sort of shows an inability to contain your emotions. Similar to Rosen's dumb remark about where he is drafted, this stuff just raises more questions.

As for the Bills and Jets, it all depends on how the free agent market shakes out. If Jets somehow landed Cousins they are no longer seeking that early QB. The Bills have the ammo to trade up, but if Cleveland or Denver covet Mayfield then its out of the Bills' range.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:06 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
If I'm a GM picking before Miami and need a QB, my first interview question is why would you post this? Is our franchise not worthy of your time? He already has some maturity and background issues, so something like this is going to hurt him. He's not Manziel or a toxic entity, but this sort of shows an inability to contain your emotions. Similar to Rosen's dumb remark about where he is drafted, this stuff just raises more questions.

Rosen said he didn't want to play for the Browns, which does raises issues. Mayfield just said: GETMETOMIAMI. Not a big thing, especially since Stills is a former Sooner like Mayfield. I think it was an innocent thing. But if it blows up the boards :yay:

Quote:
As for the Bills and Jets, it all depends on how the free agent market shakes out. If Jets somehow landed Cousins they are no longer seeking that early QB. The Bills have the ammo to trade up, but if Cleveland or Denver covet Mayfield then its out of the Bills' range.

The point being we don't want them to upgrade their QB positions.

I do wonder where Kiper thought Cousins would land though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
If I'm a GM picking before Miami and need a QB, my first interview question is why would you post this? Is our franchise not worthy of your time?

I'm trying to think why this is bad for the Dolphins, Jammer. For him, he probably loses a lot of money if someone had wanted him in the top 10. Still, I think we all know that players backtrack all the time at what they say. He'll say that he will play for anyone who will draft him, and everyone will forget his Dolphins comment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Big Dave wrote:
Still, I think we all know that players backtrack all the time at what they say. He'll say that he will play for anyone who will draft him, and everyone will forget his Dolphins comment.

And here it is:

Adam Beasley wrote:
“Just so everybody knows... I commented about playing for Miami because I was talking to a former Sooner in Kenny Stills. Everybody can relax, I will play anywhere that gives me a chance. I'm not picky, I will go anywhere and strive to uplift a franchise and win ball games.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/m ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:02 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

We will pick someone with loads of upside and potential. And then in the later rounds we will pick guys who are actually first or second round talent but for whatever reason fell. We will once again have a great draft.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:50 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:
If I'm a GM picking before Miami and need a QB, my first interview question is why would you post this? Is our franchise not worthy of your time?

I'm trying to think why this is bad for the Dolphins, Jammer. For him, he probably loses a lot of money if someone had wanted him in the top 10. Still, I think we all know that players backtrack all the time at what they say. He'll say that he will play for anyone who will draft him, and everyone will forget his Dolphins comment.

Its not bad for Miami at all. But its one more example of him struggling with emotional control/maturity. Its not nearly as bad as him mouthing off or grabbing his junk at the other team. But what is the one big criticism we have been talking about with Gase and his players? DISCIPLINE.

All of the elite QBs act professionally on the field. You can get angry, yell and be passionate, but there are limits. Philip Rivers was criticized for this early on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
Rosen said he didn't want to play for the Browns, which does raises issues. Mayfield just said: GETMETOMIAMI. Not a big thing, especially since Stills is a former Sooner like Mayfield. I think it was an innocent thing. But if it blows up the boards :yay:

I agree it was innocent, but as I said to Dave, Mayfield needs to grow up a bit. Another example that just popped into my mind is Cam Newton. He is being bashed often for a lack of maturity. At some point you have to be professional and escape the wild college guy mentality.

With all of that said I think Mayfield to Miami is the best pick at 11, unless Darnold falls.

Rosen is toxic in my opinion. I want no part of him or his personality creating a divide in the locker room.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:07 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I agree it was innocent, but as I said to Dave, Mayfield needs to grow up a bit. Another example that just popped into my mind is Cam Newton. He is being bashed often for a lack of maturity. At some point you have to be professional and escape the wild college guy mentality.

I agree. From day 1 you pound into his head to make his statements on the scoreboard and in the win column. Take away his twitter rights and make him memorize the bland cliches to mumble at press conferences. If it doesn't take right away have Suh sit on him.

Quote:
Rosen is toxic in my opinion. I want no part of him or his personality creating a divide in the locker room.

We can agree on that, shades of Jeff George there (well I doubt you'll see anyone that bad for a long time.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:10 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:

This would have seemed prophetic on your part had you not posted that retraction 4 minutes later.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

How many failed first round draft picks, let me rephrase, subpar/underperforming 1st round o-line draft picks are we going to have, or still have currently? I suppose we can continue the trend and keep throwing 1st rounders at the position until something changes.

I'd rather do something good on D like fix the LB corp. You know, someone who can actually cover a freaking tight end.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:54 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If Mayfield is legit he won't get to Miami, it is that simple. Too many teams picking ahead and several teams that have a ton of trade ammo will be in a better position.

Only way around that is for Miami to make a bold decision and mortgage the farm on a trade up into the top 4.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]