All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I've scouted Mayfield and this is why I'm in love with him. Yes he's short, his hand size is about ΒΌ of an inch smaller than scouts prefer, but the guy can play. Excellent pocket presence and this guy wants to throw, not run. The pocket breaks down and he escapes pressure like it's as natural as breathing air, always keeping his eyes down field. He knows where the first down marker is and is always looking to throw past it. Very accurate, throws receivers open, has nice touch when needed, or throws laser beams when it isn't. Strong arm, but not a cannon. Can make all throws, impressed the hell out of me with an accurate corner route for a thirty yard throw to his left as he scrambled right under duress in the pocket. I think he's the next Drew Brees, with a little bit of Farve mixed in. Fiery competitor I think who could be groomed into our leader on offense.

Most importantly, he has that it factor, you can see it on film. I can't define it, give you statistics to back it up, I can't even project if he can keep it in the NFL, but I see it, just like I saw it with Marino, Farve, Montana, Wilson. Rodgers.

And this is a guy that you start right away and let him learn under fire. Remember watching Cutler last year show excellent pocket awareness behind our atrocious OL this past season, only to watch him throw wounded ducks that made you shiver in silent horror? Or Tannehill's awful pocket awareness, but when he does gets time, makes big time throws? With Mayfield you get the best of both while subtracting the worse. Plus, he's a fiery competitor that may have the it factor, which Tannehill does not.

It's a roll of the dice to be sure. You can't keep Tannehill and draft Mayfield, that's not fair to either and they both deserve better. Besides, Tannehill becomes a valuable trading piece to move up to grab Mayfield. The question you have to ask yourself is Mayfield really that franchise qb you want, or is he a Dak Prescott that starts out hot and then cools as defenses begin to game plan for him or worse a bust? Tannehill is good enough to win a SB with the right supporting cast. You know what you have with him. Mayfield is the great unknown.

The argument against taking him (other than he could be a bust) is just as compelling. Gase is entering year 3 of trying to install the hardest offense in the NFL. He's changing out pieces as we speak to make it work. For two years, he has been trying to make it up-tempo and can't. Tannehill has two years in it now, even if he hasn't played for 19 games. He's still in the meetings, he's being groomed to run it. Get rid of him and draft Mayfield, and Gase will be starting all over. That could mean another two years of losing before we can contend, vs contending next year.

Then comes the reality of the situation. Ignore Kiper's Mock Draft, he's an idiot. For the past two years, scouts have drooled over Josh Allen. They see the arm, they see prototypical size, they dream on him, ignoring the reality. He melts under pressure, can't elevate a bad team to at least average, has accuracy problems. He's the next Ryan Leaf, Drunkenmiller, insert your favorite bust. Just because you have talent doesn't mean you can ball. Some have said he's the next Wentz because the same coach coached both, so for teams that passed on Wentz, here is their do over. Don't buy into that, because I'm sure Dorsey, GM of Cleveland isn't. He correctly identified Mahomes and should see the same in Mayfield. The only hope we have is that Hugh Jackson prefers his QB's to be 6-2, 6-3. So they take Darnold or Rosen.

The Giants are often mocked a qb, but they don't have a HC yet. Their new GM says he likes to build the lines first. They could move down, which is a problem. I'm guessing to move up to 1-2, takes our 1-10 this year, and 1st and 2nd next year. You have to remember Buffalo has 1-21, 1-22, 2-21, and 2-22 in this draft. Better ammunition to move up to take him than we can offer. And their owner was supposedly pissed they traded to move down last year and missed out on Mahomes and Watson. I can see them wanting to move up to grab their QB.

Then comes Indy who needs OL and DL, so they could be receptive to move down for picks, though Irsay supposedly loves Barkely.

Cleveland's back at 1-4 and I don't see them trading down, they have plenty of draft picks and when you have the chance to draft the qb you want with 1-1, then grab a top 5 player, well just no. No trade downs.

Denver is next at 1-5. This is what I would consider the prime position to move up to grab Mayfield, but it depends on where Cousins goes. If Denver snags Cousins, it's easier for us, we just give them 1-11 this year and a first next year. We could offer Tannehill to them to flip draft positions 1-11 to 1-5, but you'd have to know what the first four are doing before making that trade. Another possibility is that Denver steals Cousins and we trade Tannehill to Washington for their 1-17, then send it and our 1-10 to Denver for 1-5 to draft Mayfield. (I always thought Tannehill would be a better fit in a westcoast type offense and he's a good fit with Jay Gruden.)

If that fails, you have the Jets at #6. Supposedly they love Josh Allen but who knows. After them, everything is crapshoot, but I seriously doubt Mayfield falls to us at 1-11.

I'm fine to roll with Tannehill, but as someone put it 'After a I married a nice pretty girl (no kids yet) I can be happy with, but my dream girl suddenly called and said after shunning me for years, she wanted to marry me, I'd strongly consider getting a divorce lawyer.'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:02 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

So he would prefer to wait til 11, come to Miami, and compete with Tannehill for less money then any team in the top 10?

Sure.... :haha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Never thought of this, but what if the Giants are content to stick with Webb as their grooming project, move on from Eli and are willing to take Tannehill in a trade?

Might sound insane and too expensive, but worst case value on the trade market for Tannehill is what, a pair of 2nd Round picks? You also know that Landry isn't staying and fetches you 3rd Round compensation.

I'm completely fine with Mayfield or Darnold. Both have an IT factor and played big in tough moments (Darnold did in 2016). If you get the 2nd overall pick you're assured of one of them.

Would you offer NY your 11th pick, Tannehill and Landry for the rights to the 2nd overall pick? NY could shop Eli to Denver, Jacksonville or any other team.

But where is the bridge? Sam Bradford doesn't have a lot of leverage. Even if it took $15 million you know he can at least give you a few games.

Would NY do that deal? More than likely not, especially if they see a QB who is a can't miss. If however they think Webb is a future winner, then you get Tannehill as a one year rental (can get out of the deal very easily in 2019), you instantly upgrade the WR group and you don't fall that far down in Round 1. They can grab an excellent talent at the 11th pick.

If you're Miami you rid yourself of the Landry headache, the never ending Tannehill question, and let Gase get his guy.

Now I'll come back to reality because this is utterly ludicrous.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

The question for the Giants is will you see Case Keenum show up now that Shurmur is there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:25 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

In 2016 the Eagles traded:

8th pick
3rd Rounder
4th Rounder
1st Rounder 2017
2nd Rounder 2018

and got the 2nd overall and a 4th Rounder

They drafted Wentz

If you are Miami and love either Mayfield or Darnold I don't think that is a killer price to pay. But you better beef up the OL and running game to support one of them. You can get extra 2nd Rounders for Tannehill (Arizona? Jacksonville?) and probably a 3rd for Landry. Again, the Giants would have to not want an early QB and Miami would have to mortgage the farm (a bit).

As long as Darnold and Mayfield don't go 1 and 2 you might be able to swing that deal with Indy as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:44 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Never thought of this, but what if the Giants are content to stick with Webb as their grooming project, move on from Eli and are willing to take Tannehill in a trade?

In that case why not let Eli ride out his last two years there? I'd also like us to show enough class to trade Tannehill to someone that will value him as a starter for the next 6 to 8 yrs. He was a real trooper for us and deserves that.

Quote:
Might sound insane and too expensive, but worst case value on the trade market for Tannehill is what, a pair of 2nd Round picks? You also know that Landry isn't staying and fetches you 3rd Round compensation.

Keep Tannehill for a year, then trade him (he's the bridge to Mayfield) for at least a 1st next year. Offer the Giants our first next and and Landry (we'd have to tag him.) to start out then out 2nd next year if they want more. If we're hurt by the salary cap this year, and it clears up in 2019, it's better to keep picks this year, and then use FA next year instead of picks.

Quote:
I'm completely fine with Mayfield or Darnold. Both have an IT factor and played big in tough moments (Darnold did in 2016). If you get the 2nd overall pick you're assured of one of them.
I'm still not sold on Darnold but I'll play along. Better to have two targets.

Quote:
Would you offer NY your 11th pick, Tannehill and Landry for the rights to the 2nd overall pick? NY could shop Eli to Denver, Jacksonville or any other team.
No but sending Landry to NY to play along side his buddy Odell is a must. The drama will help the NFL ratings recover.

Quote:
But where is the bridge? Sam Bradford doesn't have a lot of leverage. Even if it took $15 million you know he can at least give you a few games.
Not a bad idea if his knees are fine.

Quote:
Now I'll come back to reality because this is utterly ludicrous.

Why not engage in a little fantasy. In all likely hood Miami drafts the one sure CB in this draft with 1-10 that is a bust. We get two more years of mediocrity and then Ross fires Gase, but not Tannebaum.

Besides, when in recent memory have you ever seen and offseason with potential for so much qb change? You have to see the excitement in that and want Miami to get involved even though we won't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Phinsforever wrote:
The question for the Giants is will you see Case Keenum show up now that Shurmur is there.

Minnesota is in such a jam. Do you resign the hot hand, the qb with the fixed knee who was once the future of the franchise, or the qb on his last bit of cartilage in his knees who held the fort for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:11 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
In 2016 the Eagles traded:

8th pick
3rd Rounder
4th Rounder
1st Rounder 2017
2nd Rounder 2018

and got the 2nd overall and a 4th Rounder

They drafted Wentz

If you are Miami and love either Mayfield or Darnold I don't think that is a killer price to pay. But you better beef up the OL and running game to support one of them. You can get extra 2nd Rounders for Tannehill (Arizona? Jacksonville?) and probably a 3rd for Landry. Again, the Giants would have to not want an early QB and Miami would have to mortgage the farm (a bit).

As long as Darnold and Mayfield don't go 1 and 2 you might be able to swing that deal with Indy as well.

I don't think you'll have to pay that much. There is potentially 6 qb's that could go in the first round (Rudolph doesn't seem like he's fading in popularity at all.) You might see teams fight to move up and grab one of the qb's or pass rushers too. But if you did and grab your franchise qb, no that's not too big of a price to pay

While highly unlikely, you could see Mayfield or Darnold drop right to us at 11.

Some team is going to fall in love with the dream that could be vs the reality that is Josh Allen.

Some team is going watching Jackson highlight tapes and trying to figure out how to make the one read offense work with him.

Some team will think Rosen is a sure thing.

It has to be in the back Of GM Dorsey's mind that if he drafts Mayfield (and he's a bust) and he drafts Barkley with 1-4 (and he's a bust) Browns fans will up in arms calling for his head for repeating their two worst mistakes in recent history, drafting Manziel and Trent Richardson.

Of course if you're sure Mayfield or Darnold will be game changers for you, then I wouldn't sit on my hands and hope for that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:14 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Pro Football Focus just made him the overall #1 pick in the draft in their latetest mock.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/d ... ck-draft-2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:49 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Unless the Russel Wilson affect is on teams minds.. There is a possibility he falls into the second round because of maturity issues and size. This is where I would be comfortable drafting him.. and letting him sit a year behind Tannehill. Then if Tannehill doesn't become who Gase said he was going to be this past year. Then you have Mayfield sitting there. A lot of people forget that Alex Smith is going to be traded somewhere. Also... All of the Vikings QB's will be free agents. I am sure they will bring back 1 of them. But, the other two are potential starters elsewhere.. or at the very least great backup options. Eli will want to start somewhere if he is gone as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

A thought on this hit me this weekend. There are quite a few Sooner players in the NFL, so why did Mayfield choose to Twitter a response to Kenny Stills? Stills isn't a big name in the NFL, he's not really a star, so why him. So has Mayfield heard a rumor about us wanting to make a move up to grab him? You'd think he's hearing things about where he might go and who really wants him now anyway. So did he, and then he got excited and forgot to keep it under wraps?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phins have too many immediate needs to take a QB in the top rounds. First & Second round will likely be a combination of O line & receiver.....potential for LB if we make some moves in FA.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]