View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 5-year-old scolds Brandon Marshall at football camp 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post 5-year-old scolds Brandon Marshall at football camp

Orlando Sentinel wrote:
... of all the off-the-field troubles the former Winter Park Lake Howell and UCF star has had to deal with, he met his match on Friday morning at his own first annual Brandon Marshall Camp 19 at Lake Howell.

His name is Nicholas "Manmar" Roman, a half-pint blur of a 5-year-old who didn't seem to be buying into this whole NFL star thing.

"Manmar, that's just what he calls himself. I don't know why," said his brother, 9-year-old Christian Roman.

Nicholas had gotten a bit out of control and Marshall came over to help restore some organization at the tackle-drill station. Marshall attempted to show Nicholas how to get into a three-point stance, but Nicholas wasn't interested, instead muttering something to Marshall and then running away.

"He just told me, 'Get out of my face,'" Marshall said, laughing with a look of disbelief. Then, as Nicholas started to wreak havoc elsewhere, Marshall ran him down and picked him up, slinging Nicholas around in the air by his legs as the other kids in the group gathered around and laughed.

Which is what the Marshall camps are all about. Fun, football and even food, as he fed the group of 250-300 campers from ages 5 to 16 who braved a steady drizzle to take part in the free, four-hour tutoring session. Some of the 450 players who signed up were kept away by rain.

"It's about giving back," Marshall said. "I've been gone for a couple of years, but it's like I never left. I just wanted to get back and show my face and be a part of the community where I did my thing just like these kids here."

Marshall had a little help from his friends, as well. Former UCF and current NFL players Mike Sims-Walker ( Jaguars), Kevin Smith (Lions) and Darcy Johnson (Rams) showed up to lend a hand and speak to the campers.

The rest of the Article

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: 5-year-old scolds Brandon Marshall at football camp
Wonder how long it'll be before some one says he abused the kid?

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:58 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: 5-year-old scolds Brandon Marshall at football camp
Man this makes me miss coaching so much. I always had a moment or two where kids made me laugh. My favorite was when I was isolated with the OL. After an 0-4 start, I was teaching the kids the finer art of controlling the defensive guy by legally holding (hands inside the frame and grabbing the pads). After a demonstration or two one of my kids said " Coach isn't this cheating". I responded from a well-known quote "We're 0-4, if we're not cheating, we're not trying". After the laughing subsided I explained that holding is only called by the refs it the hands get outside the frame of the defender....or if you grab inside and fall backwards. We went 3-1 down the stretch and placed 3rd in the state in the 2 or more losses catagory in the tournament.

BTW...its really good to see Brandon Marshall doing this. Noted for his off-field issues in Denver, Marshall might be turning over a new leaf in Miami

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]