View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 NFL Defensive Line Rankings 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post NFL Defensive Line Rankings
Which explains the Odrick pick.

Jason Cole wrote:
26. Miami Dolphins: It’s three years into the Bill Parcells Project and the best the Dolphins have to show along the defensive line is Randy Starks(notes), Phillip Merling(notes), rookie Jared Odrick(notes) and reserve Kendall Langford(notes). There’s not one serious or potential playmaker in the bunch. Thus, even by 3-4 standards, this is the ultimate collection of plugger types.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=j ... ings062810

Quote:
10. New England Patriots: There’s a lot of concern with the Patriots management that Vince Wilfork is going to bloat now that he has gotten paid. That would be sad because Wilfork is the best nose man Bill Belichick has ever coached. Wilfork could end up in the Hall of Fame if he works at it. More important, the Patriots desperately need him to lead a line that is in serious decline. In addition to the trade of Richard Seymour(notes) last year, former top-shelf backup Jarvis Green(notes) is gone, leaving an aging Ty Warren(notes) as the only other accomplished lineman. Mike Wright and Damione Lewis(notes) provide backup and second-year man Ron Brace(notes) better make up for a poor rookie season.

15. New York Jets : Give the Jets a lot of credit last year for surviving the loss of nose tackle Kris Jenkins(notes), who is right behind the likes of Jay Ratliff and Vince Wilfork. Backup Sione Pouha(notes) was very impressive in subbing for Jenkings. Also, give end Shaun Ellis(notes) a lot of credit for succeeding in the 3-4 the past four years despite really being more of a 4-3 player. Ellis has great functional strength for his size, allowing him to play inside more. The problem with this line is that there’s not very much depth and end Vernon Gholston(notes) has been a disaster. As great of a job as former coach Eric Mangini did in picking cornerback Darrelle Revis(notes), he did exactly the opposite when he pushed for 2008 first-rounder Gholston, a player who simply doesn’t like football that much.

27. Buffalo Bills: The Bills are switching to a 3-4, which is interesting since former 4-3 ends Chris Kelsay(notes) and Aaron Schobel(notes) (who is considering retirement) are now shifting to linebacker (good luck in pass coverage boys). The Bills are hoping to milk a decent season out of Stroud and are praying that Kyle Williams and Dwan Edwards(notes) can be something more than pluggers. The good news here is that head coach Chan Gailey is a very religious man, so the prayers might have a better chance to be heard.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: NFL Defensive Line Rankings
Didn't realize Yahoo! got desperate enough to hire Fireman Ed as a columnist.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:16 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Last time I checked..... wasnt Starks regarded VERY highly throughout the league, and because of the lack of fan voting he missed the Pro Bowl on what was our finest Defensive performer throughout last season? I would think that would register as a serious/potential playmaker..... but hey, who am I to judge...... Madden gave him an 89 rating so I guess that means he sucks too

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:35 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Jason Cole wrote:
[color=#00BFFF]26. Miami Dolphins ...Thus, even by 3-4 standards, this is the ultimate collection of plugger types.

There's no glory in playing DL in a 3-4 defense. They're occupying the offensive linemen so that the linebackers can do the damage. That's why a selfish player such as Albert Haynesworth is balking at the move to the 3-4 in Washington ... he won't get his name called as often.

I want a little more from our DL, but I think they're getting the job done.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think Randy Starks will be a playmaker even from the NT position..however nobody else is a lot above average..Ferguson is solid but is 8 games away

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Langford has been solid and Merling has been inconsistent as hell. Randy Starks has been a very nice pickup for Miami and played at a Pro Bowl level last year.

They certainly need to take there games up another level. For this defense to take the step to the next level, the D-line has to become more of a force.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:03 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yahoo! articles are jokes. Langford a reserve? Didn't he start last year and Merling was the reserve? To give an opinion on a group of players you've clearly never seen is frustrating to see.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:30 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:
Yahoo! articles are jokes. Langford a reserve?

I expect more from Jason Cole. He was a good beat writer for the Dolphins before he took the Yahoo job.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

well being we have no true NT its no surprise the "experts" who do rankings keep us low....

But I will trust in guys who win football games, not ones who write about it....

Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:31 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Big Dave wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Yahoo! articles are jokes. Langford a reserve?

I expect more from Jason Cole. He was a good beat writer for the Dolphins before he took the Yahoo job.

I agree Dave. Jason Cole was a very good writer for the Miami Herald. I use to ask him questions all the time and he would always take the time to respond. Jeff Darlington is a joke.

He certainly seems to be out of touch in regards to Miami since he left for Yahoo.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:17 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Jason Cole is way off base with that assessment. Randy Starks had a fantastic season and was a pro bowl snub. Jason Ferguson when healthy (and not suspended) is still a force in the middle and Kendall Langford is the ultimate dirty work guy. Its not LC Greenwood and Mean Joe, or even Baumhower and Betters but these guys are pretty good and don't get much respect.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]