Per Schefter on Twitter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:23 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

For what?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:24 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Watch.....they probably gave up a 2nd or something stupid. He was a real force earlier in his career....good year last year, but the previous 2 were meh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:28 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Mid round pick according to Schefter. Probably one of their 4th Rounders.

I like the deal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:31 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phinished wrote:
Watch.....they probably gave up a 2nd or something stupid. He was a real force earlier in his career....good year last year, but the previous 2 were meh.

Those "meh" years we're injury riddled years. I like this move. This dline looks great...on paper.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:36 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Retooling and winning the offseason

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Sounds like the official deal is a 4th Rounder and a swap of either 6th or 7th Rounders.

Quinn is only 27 and as Project pointed out he had some injury issues. You could still get a few Pro Bowl type seasons out of him.

I'd have to think this signals the end of William Hayes returning the team. This also strikes me as a win now type move.

Is everything we are hearing the opposite of what to expect? Will Miami trade back, collect some picks and roll with guys they currently have as opposed to a rebuild?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I have no idea what Quinn's cap number looks like, but whatever it is we're going to have to clear some space. Of course, that was a given anyway. I don't see how trading Jarvis aligns with a win now approach. RT really trusts Landry.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I like it.

Why was LA so eager to deal him for a mid round pick? Simple cap move?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:40 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Sounds like the official deal is a 4th Rounder and a swap of either 6th or 7th Rounders.

Quinn is only 27 and as Project pointed out he had some injury issues. You could still get a few Pro Bowl type seasons out of him.

I'd have to think this signals the end of William Hayes returning the team. This also strikes me as a win now type move.

Is everything we are hearing the opposite of what to expect? Will Miami trade back, collect some picks and roll with guys they currently have as opposed to a rebuild?

I don't know that it means anything, other than you can never have too many pass rushers, especially with the wide 9. He's had back injuries, so it's a risk, but one you can easily forgive them for that price. It does add about 11 million to the salary cap though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:41 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I like it.

Why was LA so eager to deal him for a mid round pick? Simple cap move?

Needed the money. They have to pay Aaron Donald.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:18 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Just another typical Miami deal. Dealing for an injury prone high salary player, that another team is dumping and over paying while doing it. The more things change the more they stay the same.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:47 pm 

He's a solid player coming off of a good year. He's also in the last year of his contract, so he should be highly motivated, and there's no long term risk. Not a bad move imo, though the cap situation is going to be interesting to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
He's a solid player coming off of a good year. He's also in the last year of his contract, so he should be highly motivated, and there's no long term risk. Not a bad move imo, though the cap situation is going to be interesting to watch.
Two yrs left on his deal. Sign for 10 mil for 2018 & just under 12 for '19.

Sorry, but just like the Kiko deal. Since Quinn signed his big deal, he has been unproductive or injured. Without the cost of his contract, then I'm alright with it. However, at the price of double digit salary. Bad deal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:28 pm 

Dphins4me wrote:
k-dash wrote:
Two yrs left on his deal. Sign for 10 mil for 2018 & just under 12 for '19.

Sorry, but just like the Kiko deal. Since Quinn signed his big deal, he has been unproductive or injured. Without the cost of his contract, then I'm alright with it. However, at the price of double digit salary. Bad deal.
I guess they had it wrong on Sirius XM. Kirwan said it was his last year of the contract. Also said that he had a really good year this past year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:12 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

ho-hum....although it's inconsequential in some respects, ie., very little cost in picks this does not reflect well once again on this front office and their decisions on Branch and on the rookie no. 1 rusher from last year....it's further indication of the team knowing they have no talent and reaching out for what once was a "name" hoping they can rekindle something in his game....it just reeks of a stop gap attention getter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:14 pm 

I think we get the pre injury Quinn.
But I thought we would get the Denver Thomas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:22 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
ho-hum....although it's inconsequential in some respects, ie., very little cost in picks this does not reflect well once again on this front office and their decisions on Branch and on the rookie no. 1 rusher from last year....it's further indication of the team knowing they have no talent and reaching out for what once was a "name" hoping they can rekindle something in his game....it just reeks of a stop gap attention getter.
Not sure it speaks to Harris. Wake is 36. How long can Miami depend on him to be that guy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:40 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Harris was supposed to be the Wake in waiting....and now they have three right DEs with the addition of Quinn. Logjam.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
Harris was supposed to be the Wake in waiting....and now they have three right DEs with the addition of Quinn. Logjam.

You're not thinking about this right. You want to rotate your DL to keep them fresh. That means having more than one starter at each position. Atlanta didn't have that, and the Pats beat them in the SB. The Eagles did, and in the 4th quarter when it they needed it, their DL sack stripped Brady to win the game.

Now think about this. We draft Roquan Smith with our first pick and pair him with a healthy McMillian at LB. That's a scary defense.

Now I do share your worry that the money we just spent means we won't address the OL. I'm guessing you kiss James goodbye and we have to keep Pouncey another year. We'll see, they're just full of tricks when it comes to the salary cap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:59 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
I have no idea what Quinn's cap number looks like, but whatever it is we're going to have to clear some space. Of course, that was a given anyway. I don't see how trading Jarvis aligns with a win now approach. RT really trusts Landry.

Robert Quinn, 27, is signed through 2019. He might want a contract adjustment or extension. Currently scheduled to cost $11.4 million on Dolphins cap this year

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:11 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

According to Spotrac, the team can get out of Wake’s deal for $3.5 million this offseason.

That’s less than it would cost the Dolphins to move on from Branch, who would cost them nearly $12 million in dead salary cap money if they cut him. If Miami can afford this crew for a year, Branch is much more vulnerable next spring when the team can let him go for a $2 million hit rather than pay him $9 million.

This almost certainly signals the end for 32-year-old William Hayes, who was an effective defensive end off the bench last season before going on Injured Reserve in November.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... odys-gone/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I like the trade as he is affordable at the DE position. I think we keep Cam Wake as well for another year. I'd love to jettison Branch, but he will be much more affordable in a year as he will only cost us $2 million to cut him next year. Will we getting rid of Suh after June 1?

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:42 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

There's a part of me that thinks this Quinn signing is happening because Suh is in the midst of getting restructured and freeing up some cap room. That part of me is probably just wishful thinking though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:48 pm 

26 mil vs the cap this season. What an awful contract for the team. He is laughing all the way to the bank.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:01 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A couple of thoughts from Dave Hyde. I think this signing is to correct the Alan Branch signing, and to move Cam Wake to more of a situational pass rusher. Wake seemed to slow down last year, but he still has the moves and quickness ... just not the endurance of a starter. The dolphins know they are strapped against the cap this year, and they may hold their breath so they can release Branch next year when it is much cheaper to release him. We may even see Suh released post June 1.

Dave Hyde wrote:
1. Charles Harris hasn’t impressed the Dolphins. Why else go out and get another high-priced right defensive end? Harris had two sacks and 19 tackles as a rookie. You’d expect a good step forward in his second year, and coach Adam Gase said he’d compete for a starting job a few days ago. Andre Branch’s three-year, $24 million deal looked like a bridge to Harris ramping up to an NFL player. Now it appears Quinn is locked in long-term as the starter and Harris is his backup. Or Branch is. Or Branch most likely returns to left defensive end to back up Cameron Wake. Or something.

5. The beat for other team’s hand-me-downs goes on. I’m going down the Dolphins roster and don’t see many players from other teams they’ve invested heavily in that have worked out. Kenny Stills might be the only one. T.J. McDonald, the verdict is out on. This doesn’t mean you don’t make a trade like this. It means you better know what you’re buying, as Mike Tannenbaum’s list stretches longer of once-greats that haven’t worked out (Jordan Cameron, Lawrence Timmons, Julius Thomas, Mario Williams …) Yes, Quinn is just 28 by next kickoff. He was great early in his career (two Pro Bowls). He also missed 17 of 32 games in 2015 and 2016 with injuries — hip, knee and back. So what player do you get?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave ... story.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:03 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Dphins4me wrote:
Just another typical Miami deal. Dealing for an injury prone high salary player, that another team is dumping and over paying while doing it. The more things change the more they stay the same.

And then get rid of a guy like Landry because we don't have cap space.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:11 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quinn's current contract is meaningless.....the $24M is not guaranteed. They'll give him a signing bonus + small salary in '18.........cap hit should be < $4M in '18. They'll try to move Wake. With $8.6M due in '18, they may get a taker. If they cut him, they'll save $5.1M in cap space and take a $3.5M hit. I doubt they cut him, but this is almost certainly his last season with the Phins. Branch gets paid......though it will be a contract year, no chance to trade him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:46 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
And then get rid of a guy like Landry because we don't have cap space.
Miami does not have the cap space for Landry, but they do for Quinn? Does not make sense in my book. Its only 4 million difference and that is on the franchise tag. I have no issue with letting Landry go, but to take on a high dollar deal for a player who has been injured more lately than healthy. Not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:32 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Dolphins weren't the only team to offer a trade to the Rams for Quinn.

RotoWorld wrote:
ESPN's Jenna Laine reports the Buccaneers and Browns both tried to trade for former Rams DE Robert Quinn.The Bucs reportedly offered a fourth-round pick and the Browns a fifth, but the Dolphins acquired him for a fourth-round pick and an exchange of sixth-round picks. With the number of draft picks the Browns have, it's fairly surprising they weren't able to work out a deal for a player that could help improve their pass-rush.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6557/robert-quinn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:

RotoWorld wrote:
ESPN's Jenna Laine reports the Buccaneers and Browns both tried to trade for former Rams DE Robert Quinn.The Bucs reportedly offered a fourth-round pick and the Browns a fifth, but the Dolphins acquired him for a fourth-round pick and an exchange of sixth-round picks. With the number of draft picks the Browns have, it's fairly surprising they weren't able to work out a deal for a player that could help improve their pass-rush.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6557/robert-quinn

Yeah, but its the Bucs and Browns lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:57 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Quinn had injuries and last year was asked to play OLB in a 3-4. Now he is going back to a position that suits him better. He's going to want to cash in at 30. If Miami gets him for 2 years and he plays All Pro ball then this deal will have been amazing. They can still add young DEs in the process to groom behind him.

Sounds to me that this is step one of a bloated contract purge that is coming, but adding some short term productivity to keep the remaining players and coaches happy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:08 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:

RotoWorld wrote:
ESPN's Jenna Laine reports............ it's fairly surprising they weren't able to work out a deal for a player that could help improve their pass-rush.

Unless a Team wants to guarantee the last two years of his contract at $24M, they would have to receive confirmation from Quinn on a new contract. It sounds like Quinn wanted to play for the Phins under a new contract.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:57 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

shularino wrote:
Quinn's current contract is meaningless.....the $24M is not guaranteed. They'll give him a signing bonus + small salary in '18.........cap hit should be < $4M in '18. They'll try to move Wake. With $8.6M due in '18, they may get a taker. If they cut him, they'll save $5.1M in cap space and take a $3.5M hit. I doubt they cut him, but this is almost certainly his last season with the Phins. Branch gets paid......though it will be a contract year, no chance to trade him.

He is not restructuring... However, he can be cut at any time and the dolphins are clear of any dead money...

He will need to win the job in camp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:28 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Sorry folks, I know the message board needs material but this Quinn thing is not likely to turn out to be anything but probably another cap albatross, that is if we go by this front office's track record:

TJ McDonald? No big deal but expensive. Branch, same. Even Suh, for the money? No big deal based on production. Maxwell and Alonso? Bust and Alonso's contract a huge garbage dump. Timmons? Ditto. Larsen, Bushrod...same. The two TEs, Jordan Cameron and last years' bust, Julius Thomas? Garbage, and expensive at that. Jay Cutler? Ouch!! The jury is out on the LB from the Saints but I don't expect an upgrade there either based on the playing time he did get last year. The best one for the production was the DE from the Rams William Hayes and it seems this Keystone Cops front office bungled that one too by dropping the second year of his contract and now he'll walk as a FA.

The failure of drafting players that can stick forces the team to reach for cast-offs like those above, and these cost a lot more than what it costs to re-up draft picks, assuming of course they extend those contracts before they become troublesome to re-sign as Landry, Clay, Vernon have been.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:15 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
Sorry folks, I know the message board needs material but this Quinn thing is not likely to turn out to be anything but probably another cap albatross, that is if we go by this front office's track record:

TJ McDonald? No big deal but expensive. Branch, same. Even Suh, for the money? No big deal based on production. Maxwell and Alonso? Bust and Alonso's contract a huge garbage dump. Timmons? Ditto. Larsen, Bushrod...same. The two TEs, Jordan Cameron and last years' bust, Julius Thomas? Garbage, and expensive at that. Jay Cutler? Ouch!! The jury is out on the LB from the Saints but I don't expect an upgrade there either based on the playing time he did get last year. The best one for the production was the DE from the Rams William Hayes and it seems this Keystone Cops front office bungled that one too by dropping the second year of his contract and now he'll walk as a FA.

The failure of drafting players that can stick forces the team to reach for cast-offs like those above, and these cost a lot more than what it costs to re-up draft picks, assuming of course they extend those contracts before they become troublesome to re-sign as Landry, Clay, Vernon have been.

Front office and coach, Thomas and Cutler were his choices...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:21 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Great trade by Miami! Quinn is a Pro Bowl caliber stud when he is healthy, the blue is moon, hell freezes over and the stars align! Miami would have most likely drafted a punter with each of those picks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:23 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

10acjed wrote:
He is not restructuring... However, he can be cut at any time and the dolphins are clear of any dead money...

Just curious, where did you see this?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:47 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
Great trade by Miami! Quinn is a Pro Bowl caliber stud when he is healthy, the blue is moon, hell freezes over and the stars align! Miami would have most likely drafted a punter with each of those picks!

Hey, I would love to share in that there Kool-Aid, but....Miami has a history of getting these guys on their way down but I guess we are due to finally get lucky. And why would the Rams, an up and coming team, on the cusp of playoff contention every year, get rid of this guy for peanuts? Pass rushers are a premium position, second only to QBs.

Those guys out in La-La Land looked awful smart in 2017 and may be playing the Belicheat game, moving guys when they become too expensive for their declining production.

But no problem. The Dolphins have become the "Mikey" of the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:39 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

shularino wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Just curious, where did you see this?

His dead money in 2018 stays with the Rams, & he had a back loaded contract.. I doubt he gets released unless he is a real disappointment in camp..
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/robert-quinn-7729/

Branch had 12 tackles and 4.5 sacks in 14 starts 2017, Quinn had 21 tackles and 8.5 sacks in 14 starts, he will be an upgrade over Branch..
Problem is we drafted Harris to fill this role and should be focused on developing him rather than paying $$ for another FA....

Also interesting rumor is the trade the Dolphins were looking for was Landry for Joyner

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next