All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:22 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Outside of 20 more lbs I haven't seen anything you get from Rudolph in the 2nd Round that you can't get from Falk in the 3rd or 4th Round. And then I look at Mike White who puts more zip on his intermediate throws which is pretty important in the NFL.

Albright is saying that Miami and Indy have had pretty extensive talks about swapping 1st Round picks to get Rosen. I know he isn't reporting this just to stir up crap because I've yet to see him do that this offseason. A lot of things he has said then come out from other reporters weeks later (like NE on the hunt for Rosen).

Miami trading up for Rosen will probably cost a pair of 1st Rounders and their 2nd Rounder this year. Throw out any trade chart because when a QB is involved with multiple teams looking to move up the price just is what it is.

What doesn't make sense for me is how Miami handled Tannehill's contract. His cap hit this year has been reduced to like 8 million and it would cost over 20 million to cut him. Next year it will cost nearly 13 million to cut him. Had they left the deal alone you could have traded him and saved 15 million, or, moved on next year with no ramifications.

Why nearly guarantee his deal for two years (or at the least make expensive to cut) if you are aggressively targeting his replacement? You could have just inked Osweiler as a 6 to 8 game bridge, see where the record is and then get Rosen some experience as a rookie.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:32 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
What doesn't make sense for me is how Miami handled Tannehill's contract. His cap hit this year has been reduced to like 8 million and it would cost over 20 million to cut him. Next year it will cost nearly 13 million to cut him. Had they left the deal alone you could have traded him and saved 15 million, or, moved on next year with no ramifications.

Why nearly guarantee his deal for two years (or at the least make expensive to cut) if you are aggressively targeting his replacement? You could have just inked Osweiler as a 6 to 8 game bridge, see where the record is and then get Rosen some experience as a rookie.

Because this lets you win now, and not really face an overly excessive expense to do so. You have two chances basically to find the best guy for the position instead of one, and use the other for draft capital in a year or two.

But, please let NE or Buffalo outbid us.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
apatos13 wrote:

I'm not opposed to moving up a few spots to make sure we can grab Roquan Smith.

The Raiders are rumored to want him really bad.

We could flip a 4th this year and a third next year to jump up to Chicago's spot. I'm sure they would do that, but Indy is also a problem. Maybe we can talk Indy into taking Kiko and Branch to trade places 1-6 for 1-11.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:44 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:
Because this lets you win now, and not really face an overly excessive expense to do so. You have two chances basically to find the best guy for the position instead of one, and use the other for draft capital in a year or two.

But, please let NE or Buffalo outbid us.

I don't disagree with nailing down the QB position, but we cannot pretend there aren't big holes elsewhere. And Rosen is by no means a top notch prospect compared to the more highly graded guys of the last few years.

When the Chargers took Rivers it was because Brees couldn't even hold the starting job. When the Packers took Rodgers it was because he slid way down. The Chiefs took Mahomes because they had a very solid team in place. Miami can land two guys who would offer significant snaps at picks 11 and 41 instead of trading them, plus what probably is a top 20 pick next year, for a guy who doesn't really grade out as better than Tannehill.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I don't disagree with nailing down the QB position, but we cannot pretend there aren't big holes elsewhere. And Rosen is by no means a top notch prospect compared to the more highly graded guys of the last few years.

To be honest, the only hole we have right now is TE and you can solve that with a 3rd or 4th round pick, plus giving a few of the quys we have on the roster now a chance. The team is solid, but like you, I think we lack playmakers, especially on defense. I also feel good about Tannehill going forward for the next 8-10 years, so unless we're trading for Mayfield, I don't want a qb. But they're primed to take one.

You may not like Rosen, I may not like him, but we may need to mentally prepare for his coming.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:16 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Does anyone see this playing out this way? I can see Josh Rosen falling to us, but I cannot see us picking Vita Vea over Rosen or Roquan Smith. (Derwin James and Edmunds are picked earlier).

Rob Rang wrote:
10. OAKLAND RAIDERS: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State:
Despite boasting a terrific 1-2 set of edge rushers in Khalil Mack and Bruce Irvin, the Raiders featured one of the league’s leakiest secondaries in 2017 and finished with an NFL-low five interceptions. Ward is a true cover corner, blanketing receivers due to his exceptional quickness and speed.

–11. MIAMI DOLPHINS: Vita Vea, DT, Washington:
The release of costly defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh provided the Dolphins with cap relief but left the roster weak at defensive tackle. Vea offers a similarly freakish combination of size, power and athleticism as Suh but comes at a much cheaper price.

–12. BUFFALO BILLS Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA:
The Bills might have to make a deal to move up to land one of the top four quarterbacks in reality but with no trades allowed in this projection, they get lucky that one of them — arguably the best of them — falls into their lap. Rosen, who proved bigger and more athletic at the Combine than expected, is the most polished passer in this draft, boasting the quick release, velocity and accuracy that could one day earn him trips to the Pro Bowl. His stock is thought to be slipping, however, as some have concerns about his intangibles and struggles with durability at UCLA, where he missed action in two of his three years as a starter.

–13. WASHINGTON REDSKINS: Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia:
Following the splashy trade for Alex Smith, Washington might turn its attention to adding a quarterback on defense. Smith, the 2017 Butkus Award winner as the nation’s top linebacker, lacks ideal bulk but his speed to the flanks and in coverage makes him perfectly suited to today’s modern pass-happy NFL.

–14. GREEN BAY PACKERS: Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College:
With an aging roster that still ranks among the best in the NFC, new general manager Brian Gutekunst may be looking to make a splash with his first selection. Landry’s numbers plummeted in 2017 after ranking among national leaders in sacks, tackles for loss and fumbles as a junior but his burst and bend off the edge is unparalleled in this class — attributes which Gutekunst may find appealing with Clay Matthews Jr. and Nick Perry each struggling with durability concerns.

http://nfldraftscout.com/rang-mock-draf ... b-sliding/

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Does anyone see this playing out this way? I can see Josh Rosen falling to us, but I cannot see us picking Vita Vea over Rosen or Roquan Smith. (Derwin James and Edmunds are picked earlier).

Rob Rang wrote:
10. OAKLAND RAIDERS: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State:
Despite boasting a terrific 1-2 set of edge rushers in Khalil Mack and Bruce Irvin, the Raiders featured one of the league’s leakiest secondaries in 2017 and finished with an NFL-low five interceptions. Ward is a true cover corner, blanketing receivers due to his exceptional quickness and speed.

–11. MIAMI DOLPHINS: Vita Vea, DT, Washington:
The release of costly defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh provided the Dolphins with cap relief but left the roster weak at defensive tackle. Vea offers a similarly freakish combination of size, power and athleticism as Suh but comes at a much cheaper price.

–12. BUFFALO BILLS Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA:
The Bills might have to make a deal to move up to land one of the top four quarterbacks in reality but with no trades allowed in this projection, they get lucky that one of them — arguably the best of them — falls into their lap. Rosen, who proved bigger and more athletic at the Combine than expected, is the most polished passer in this draft, boasting the quick release, velocity and accuracy that could one day earn him trips to the Pro Bowl. His stock is thought to be slipping, however, as some have concerns about his intangibles and struggles with durability at UCLA, where he missed action in two of his three years as a starter.

–13. WASHINGTON REDSKINS: Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia:
Following the splashy trade for Alex Smith, Washington might turn its attention to adding a quarterback on defense. Smith, the 2017 Butkus Award winner as the nation’s top linebacker, lacks ideal bulk but his speed to the flanks and in coverage makes him perfectly suited to today’s modern pass-happy NFL.

–14. GREEN BAY PACKERS: Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College:
With an aging roster that still ranks among the best in the NFC, new general manager Brian Gutekunst may be looking to make a splash with his first selection. Landry’s numbers plummeted in 2017 after ranking among national leaders in sacks, tackles for loss and fumbles as a junior but his burst and bend off the edge is unparalleled in this class — attributes which Gutekunst may find appealing with Clay Matthews Jr. and Nick Perry each struggling with durability concerns.

http://nfldraftscout.com/rang-mock-draf ... b-sliding/

Rosen won't drop farther than 1-6. Either we, the Bills, NE or Arizona will trade up to grab him.

My best guess is we'd move up if Rosen, Mayfield, or Barkley falls to 1-6.

We stay put and take Da'Ron Payne, or Roquan Smith if not.

Or if they trade down, it's for Guise or Leighton Vander Esch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:08 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
John Elway announced the fifth overall pick is for sale.

2:43 PM - Apr 19, 2018

That should effectively kill our chances to move up to get Rosen.

#1 Cleveland Darnold
#2 Giants Barkley
#3 Jets Mayfield
#4 Cleveland Chubbs
#5 Come and get me Rosen unless you're Miami. (Elway--Gase feud)
#6 Sorry Indy, you can keep your pick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:26 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I really hope the QBs are gone before we pick at #11 and the cost to move up to get one is supremely prohibitive for us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:49 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Wow. Really? I guess you have to discuss everything before the big day, but how would anyone know this unless they are a fly on the wall.

:fly

RotoWorld wrote:
The Ringer's Kevin Clark reports the Browns have "considered" drafting a quarterback with both the No. 1 and No. 4 overall picks. It is highly unlikely this actually happens, but that does not mean it is a bad idea. The success rate of even first-round quarterbacks is shockingly low, but taking two of the top quarterbacks would give Cleveland a decent shot at landing one long-term starter. If both pan out, they would also have a valuable trade chip to acquire future assets. That said, developing one quarterback is difficult enough, and it would be a challenge to find enough practice reps for Tyrod Taylor and two rookies. Still, the fact the Browns have even considering an out-of-the-box idea like this is a good sign.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13045/josh-allen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:45 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Wow. Really? I guess you have to discuss everything before the big day, but how would anyone know this unless they are a fly on the wall.

:fly

RotoWorld wrote:
The Ringer's Kevin Clark reports the Browns have "considered" drafting a quarterback with both the No. 1 and No. 4 overall picks. It is highly unlikely this actually happens, but that does not mean it is a bad idea. The success rate of even first-round quarterbacks is shockingly low, but taking two of the top quarterbacks would give Cleveland a decent shot at landing one long-term starter. If both pan out, they would also have a valuable trade chip to acquire future assets. That said, developing one quarterback is difficult enough, and it would be a challenge to find enough practice reps for Tyrod Taylor and two rookies. Still, the fact the Browns have even considering an out-of-the-box idea like this is a good sign.

plus the added benefit of possibly driving up the price to trade for that 4th pick with a "leak" of their plans.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:
To be honest, the only hole we have right now is TE and you can solve that with a 3rd or 4th round pick, plus giving a few of the quys we have on the roster now a chance. The team is solid, but like you, I think we lack playmakers, especially on defense. I also feel good about Tannehill going forward for the next 8-10 years, so unless we're trading for Mayfield, I don't want a qb. But they're primed to take one.

You may not like Rosen, I may not like him, but we may need to mentally prepare for his coming.

Disagree on TE being the only hole. DT is not solved. LB, or, someone who can cover at the position is not solved. FS is not solved.

Now a few things can happen to change some of that. Miami can sign Vaccaro, shift McDonald to more of a hybrid LB role and cross their fingers Vaccaro can hold up as a FS.

Miami can try to sign a remaining free agent DT as a rotational guy. Puts a body in the position but doesn't improve the line's ability to chew up blockers.

Miami just signed Gavin Escobar (former high pick but has bounced around several teams) at TE. They can role with him and Derby is reclamation projects and hope Gray is a steady blocker.

Does any of that excite you or make you feel better about the team? I like Vaccaro as a cheap deal, good slot option but that is more depth than long term starter.

I've seen some suggestion that Miami offer a 1st and 4th this year, plus a 1st and 2nd next year. The picks for this year don't bother me, but you best be overly confident that last year's draft class and this year's produce reliable starters in 2019. Won't have a pick until late Day 2.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I really hope the 1st round is just as exciting and nerve-wracking as its shaping up to be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Does any of that excite you or make you feel better about the team? I like Vaccaro as a cheap deal, good slot option but that is more depth than long term starter.

Honestly? I said last year we could fill our holes in FA, then just draft BPA and we appear to be doing that this year. My worries aren't about individual players, but the systems we're trying to run.

Will Gase's offense finally work now that he has almost all the right players he needs? IDK. I do think it'll be the offense we expected to see when he first came aboard. I also think getting the right RB in this draft is more important than a TE for what he wants to run.

Defensively, I see a real need for playmakers. But I'm also asking myself this: will this wide 9 defense actually work? Philly just won the SB with it, but in reality, it made one crucial stop when it counted while basically letting the Patriots do what they wanted until that point. Couple that with this new rule about leading with your head, and instead of hoping to grab Derwin James or Roquan Smith, maybe I should be thinking more offensive playmakers. Trade down and grab Sony Michels, then move up in the 2nd round to grab the best TE. Stack your offensive playmakers at every position.

It also puts a premium on your back-up qb doesn't it? The Eagles just proved you need a viable starter there as well. So, keeping Tannehill and drafting Rosen doesn't seem like such a crazy idea after all. Better than Tannehill and say White or Faulk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:41 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Disagree on TE being the only hole. DT is not solved. LB, or, someone who can cover at the position is not solved. FS is not solved.

Now a few things can happen to change some of that. Miami can sign Vaccaro, shift McDonald to more of a hybrid LB role and cross their fingers Vaccaro can hold up as a FS.

Miami can try to sign a remaining free agent DT as a rotational guy. Puts a body in the position but doesn't improve the line's ability to chew up blockers.

The Dolphins are talking about moving Williams Hayes to the inside, so, maybe that helps stop the run. It also provides a nice pass rush up the middle. We seem to have a decent group of rotational players, but I would not be surprised that we do not add another DT in the draft somewhere. Hopefully someone cuts a run stopper once we get our Suh money after June 1.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:05 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:

The Dolphins are talking about moving Williams Hayes to the inside, so, maybe that helps stop the run. It also provides a nice pass rush up the middle. We seem to have a decent group of rotational players, but I would not be surprised that we do not add another DT in the draft somewhere. Hopefully someone cuts a run stopper once we get our Suh money after June 1.

I'm not saying you need a Suh caliber player, but if you think Godchaux and Phillips can hold it down with Hayes kicking inside for passing downs then you are taking an enormous leap of faith.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:09 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:
It also puts a premium on your back-up qb doesn't it? The Eagles just proved you need a viable starter there as well. So, keeping Tannehill and drafting Rosen doesn't seem like such a crazy idea after all. Better than Tannehill and say White or Faulk.

I don't disagree on a viable backup. Nick Foles is sort of the exception as he could start on several teams in my opinion.

When I watch videos I don't see that much difference between Rosen and White in terms of accuracy and arm strength. Maybe Rosen is much further along in terms of understanding the game but I don't think its worth trading the farm.

If Miami is going that route then call up the Giants, make an RG III type trade offer, and get either Darnold or Mayfield. I just don't see it with Rosen and will be extremely disappointed if he is the guy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:18 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

There's still a hopeful part of me that believes that the Dolphins very public lovefest for the QBs in this draft is a ploy to make anyone in the market for one of the top 4 know they have to jump the Dolphins at #11 to get one, thereby pushing someone in the Smith, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, and James stud farm down to #11.

If not, we'll be picking between the falling QB, and probably Ward and Vea. If its the QB they don't really love, I can see an opportunity to move back with someone either wanting the QB or Ward.

4 more days!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:20 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

And for the record, I still see a lot of Bo Callahan in Rosen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jgod1 wrote:
There's still a hopeful part of me that believes that the Dolphins very public lovefest for the QBs in this draft is a ploy to make anyone in the market for one of the top 4 know they have to jump the Dolphins at #11 to get one, thereby pushing someone in the Smith, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, and James stud farm down to #11.

If not, we'll be picking between the falling QB, and probably Ward and Vea. If its the QB they don't really love, I can see an opportunity to move back with someone either wanting the QB or Ward.

4 more days!

At this point, I'm saying screw it. You mentioned Bo Callahan in your next post, and I say lets take that lesson to heart. We have our Brian Drew in Tannehill. Let's get our Vontae Mack in this draft. Don't hope he will drop, move up and grab Roquan Smith. Then in the second round, move up to grab Sony Michel. I know we have Drake, but if Gase wants to recreate the greatest show on turf, then grab Michel. Unless Barkley drops to 1-6, then grab him in a trade up, and draft Lorenzo Carter in the 2nd round.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:43 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
apatos13 wrote:

I don't disagree on a viable backup. Nick Foles is sort of the exception as he could start on several teams in my opinion.

When I watch videos I don't see that much difference between Rosen and White in terms of accuracy and arm strength. Maybe Rosen is much further along in terms of understanding the game but I don't think its worth trading the farm.

If Miami is going that route then call up the Giants, make an RG III type trade offer, and get either Darnold or Mayfield. I just don't see it with Rosen and will be extremely disappointed if he is the guy.

Supposedly, the Bills offered three first rounders, and the Giants said it wasn't enough. I mean if you hit gold and found the next Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, great, it was worth it, but whatever you'd deal away (I'm guessing 3 firsts, and 2 seconds) would set your franchise back years if Mayfield or Darnold was a bust.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I still think Darnold is their choice at #1. I've heard analysts swear he's taking Allen, Mayfield, and Darnold in the past couple of weeks. It's all draft smoke.

RotoWorld wrote:
A source he "trusts" who is "very well-connected" and "very often right" told MMQB's Peter King the Browns won't take Wyoming QB Josh Allen with the No. 1 overall pick. It should be a breath of fresh air for Cleveland fans; analytically, Allen barely belongs in the first round let alone in conversation for the No. 1 pick. King published a mock draft in his MMQB article, and sent USC QB Sam Darnold to the Browns at No. 1. We agree and also expect Cleveland to take Darnold.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The closer I get to the draft, the more restricted I get on who I would trade up for. I'm only wanting to trade up for Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield. I just cannot honestly say that Rosen is an upgrade over Tannehill. Trading up probably means going all the way to pick #2, however.

247sports wrote:
A trio of quarterback-desperate NFL clubs reportedly touched base with the Denver Broncos.

Mike Klis of 9News reported Sunday that the Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals have called the Broncos to gauge their interest in trading the No. 5 overall draft selection. The teams pick No. 11, No. 12 and No. 15 overall, respectively, in round one. Buffalo also owns the 22nd-overall choice.

A deal doesn't appear imminent, according to Klis, who was told by league sources Denver considers Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield, USC QB Sam Darnold, Penn State running back Saquon Barkley, and NC State edge rusher Bradley Chubb as their top options at five -- if they remain there.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bronco ... -117597872

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... am-by-team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

For as much as I'm opposed to trading up, that Chad Reuter mock is not terrible.

I don't know about a WR and OT, more likely some interior help and a running back in the 7th round.

Landing Green, O'Daniel and Herndon is really good value.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Simon Clancy tweeted out on April 21 that the 2 QBs Miami has done the most research on (beyond the big 4) are Luke Falk and Kurt Benkert. Also mentions Lauletta as a big scheme fit and that Miami is curiously quiet on him.

I'll repeat what I've said about Falk - look at his videos from 2016 and you see a 1st Round prospect. He secretly played with a busted non throwing hand last year and it clearly hurt his play. Yet, he still had some really big games and big time throws. He is the alpha teams look for and that is why you see New England looking aggressively at him.

Benkert makes wow throws but there is a lot of inconsistency about him. He didn't exactly plan on a talented offense so I suspect he had to press quite often to make things happen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:04 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Peter King's MMQB mock this morning. I've highlighted the players who have been mocked to us

https://tinyurl.com/yadc4vp4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:10 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I would LOVE to hear Mike McGlinchey's name called in the top 10.

One more blue chipper sliding down to #11!

Also, does Vita Vea really fit what we're trying to do on defense? It looks to me like Payne, Hurst, and Bryan fit better in the scheme than Vea does. He's no doubt a beast. I get that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:53 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I've never seen such a spread of opinion than I have on Josh Allen.

THE REALLY GOOD -

Peter King wrote:
The final word on the quarterbacks. I asked one longtime and well-connected scout about what he’s hearing regarding the order of top quarterbacks in this draft. In other words, if teams with a quarterback need could show their boards, what order would they go in? “Allen one, very slightly ahead of Darnold. Then Mayfield. But the people who like Mayfield love Mayfield.” Watch for Arizona trading up on Mayfield if he gets past the Jets and Broncos.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/23/mock- ... peter-king

THE REALLY BAD:

Thor Nystrom wrote:
Quarterback: Josh Allen (Wyoming)

I compare Allen to a Jake Locker/Paxton Lynch mashup with JaMarcus Russell's arm. So you know where this is going. On paper, he’s as intriguing as it gets, with a huge frame, plus athleticism and a bazooka arm that will be the NFL’s strongest the second he gets drafted on Thursday night. He was groomed by Craig Bohl and crew, the same staff that developed Carson Wentz.

It’s everything else that is the issue for me. Allen lacks accuracy, ball placement, pocket awareness and a firm feel for his responsibilities on the field. I think of him like one of those baseball pitching prospects who can dial it up to 100 mph with ease but has no idea where the ball is going and doesn’t have the secondary pitches required for hitters to not to sit dead-red on the heat. Allen fires 100-mph heaters whether he’s trying to fit the ball into a tight window downfield (good!), throwing a screen pass (not good!) or throwing a touch pass (doh!). He’s never been accurate at any level, including back in his JUCO days.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/7 ... draft-team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:26 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Don't we already have a big-armed QB who can't find or hit open receivers backing up Tannehill?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jgod1 wrote:
Don't we already have a big-armed QB who can't find or hit open receivers backing up Tannehill?

:haha

The most "fixable" quarterback in this draft, in my overrated opinion, is Lamar Jackson. With the proper work you will be able to see the great strides that Tannehill took (in certain areas of Tanny's game). The only problem is that quarterbacks usually fall back to what they did with success in their college game when things get tough in the pocket. The Cheatriots may really be intrigued with him as he played in their system at Louisville, but when has Belicheat ever drafted a first round quarterback?

Thor Nystrom wrote:
Jackson’s issues with accuracy and ball placement have to do with a fixable mechanical issue (extremely narrow throwing base, elbow lower than ideal in throwing motion, short lead step).

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/7 ... o:cfb:gnav

He ran an Erhardt-Perkins offensive system under Bobby Petrino. The same system Teddy Bridgewater came out of, and the same system the Patriots, among other teams, run in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:56 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Big Dave wrote:
jgod1 wrote:

:haha

The most "fixable" quarterback in this draft, in my overrated opinion, is Lamar Jackson. With the proper work you will be able to see the great strides that Tannehill took (in certain areas of Tanny's game). The only problem is that quarterbacks usually fall back to what they did with success in their college game when things get tough in the pocket. The Cheatriots may really be intrigued with him as he played in their system at Louisville, but when has Belicheat ever drafted a first round quarterback?

Thor Nystrom wrote:
Jackson’s issues with accuracy and ball placement have to do with a fixable mechanical issue (extremely narrow throwing base, elbow lower than ideal in throwing motion, short lead step).

He ran an Erhardt-Perkins offensive system under Bobby Petrino. The same system Teddy Bridgewater came out of, and the same system the Patriots, among other teams, run in the NFL.

Dave Hyde just posted that he would consider him a dark horse for the Dolphins at #11.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A couple of ugly things that may hurt some of the quarterbacks ....

Sam Darnold threw 22 interceptions and fumbled the ball 21 times in 27 starts at USC.

Josh Rosen had 2 concussions last year which held him out of UCLA's bowl game.

Josh Allen has never been accurate.

Baker Mayfield is short and is compared to Drew Brees. Remember how long it took for Brees to finally "get it"? The Chargers drafted Phillip Rivers thinking he wasn't going to "get it".

Lamar Jackson completed just 13 of 31 passes for 171 yards, 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions in the TaxSlayer Bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:27 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Matthew Cannata
@CannataNFL
darn! @AllbrightNFL just dropped a BOMB on #PhinsiderRadio. Tune in tomorrow morning to find out.

9:56 PM - Apr 24, 2018

Quote:
@CannataNFL
On #PhinsiderRadio - @AllbrightNFL - I don't know if the @MiamiDolphins are going to get Josh Rosen, but they're going to make an effort. If they want to move up, they need to dangle a player and DeVante Parker would be that player.

They just exercised Parker's 5th yr option.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:58 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

You've been calling this for months Apatos, kudos to you if Parker is dealt.

The bomb Albright dropped was Lamar Jackson at 11. Yuck. If Miami takes Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson that early I will be thoroughly disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

On Lamar Jackson, whose accuracy is a huge problem:

Quote:
"Lamar [Jackson] has no idea how to throw with his core and legs," said one NFC scout who specializes in quarterbacks and was on the field during the combine workouts. "He's all arm and wrist action right now, very much like Cam [Newton], but much cleaner delivery. When he gets some serious coaching on driving his body into throws, he could be insane. Completely blank canvas. It's amazing he threw it as well as he did, seeing how much work he needs in that aspect alone. There's not a QB coach alive who looked at that and didn't feel as if they could make a very good passer. Old rule: you can fix the feet - not the mind or arm."

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018LJackson.php#ixzz5DcCebq4E

CKParrothead's responce:

Quote:
Interesting you ask those questions because I was just reading a Pro Football Weekly article where the QB Coach that has been working with Lamar every summer for years, ever since High School, he would always talk to the Louisville coaches directly and find out exactly what mechanics and things they want Lamar to work on, exactly how they want it done, and then he would work on those things with Lamar during the summer. Point being, he has direct knowledge of what they were asking Lamar Jackson to do.

He says the Louisville coaches actually coached some of those mechanics INTO Lamar Jackson. He specifically talked about the narrow base, that Louisville wanted it to be narrow.

And quite frankly, the high school tape bears this out. He was not narrow in high school. Louisville asked him to be narrow. God only knows why.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:23 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
You've been calling this for months Apatos, kudos to you if Parker is dealt.

Though his medical history, particularly the concussions, scare me, Rosen is the perfect qb to work with Gase.

Still, I'm holding on to the Sonny Weaver mantra: Say no to Bo, Vontae no matter what, you pancake eating...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just a fresh reminder that every year a QB is said to be a 1st Rounder, or late 1st/early 2nd type and falls further than we expect.

2011 Ryan Mallett (3rd)
2012 - Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins (3rd and 4th)
2013 - Mike Glennon and Matt Barkley (3rd and 4th)
2014 - AJ McCarron (5th)
2015 - Brett Hundley (5th)
2016 - Connor Cook (4th)
2017 - Brad Kaaya (6th)

To clarify, it doesn't mean all of these guys were bonafide stars in scouts' eyes. At one point each was discussed prior to the draft as a very early pick and slipped. I remember reports on McCarron being a surprising late 1st Round option for some teams.

Do not be surprised if Day 3 comes and Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson are still available. Happens every year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:01 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Some random QB notes from PFF.

PFF wrote:
[*]Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield had the draft class’ top passer rating on passes under pressure (111.6), from a clean pocket (143.8), with play-action (154.3) and on throws within 2.5 seconds (131.9) and 2.6 seconds or longer (139.1).

[*] Over the last two years, Mayfield has posted a red zone passer rating of 114.7, the best mark among quarterbacks with at least 50 red zone attempts in that span.

[*]Wyoming QB Josh Allen notched a passer rating of 116.9 when targeting his receivers in the end zone in 2017, which is the best mark among the draft class.

[*] In 2017, Allen had 68.9 percent of his yards come through the air, and only 31.1 percent came after the catch.

[*]When blitzed in 2017, Toledo QB Logan Woodside put up an adjusted completion percentage of 81.6 percent – the best mark in the draft class.

[*]Among draft quarterbacks with at least 150 attempts, USC QB Sam Darnold had the lowest percent of his catchable passes dropped (3.5 percent).

[*]WKU QB Mike White & UVA QB Kurt Benkert suffered from 44 dropped passes last season, four more than any other draft quarterback.

[*]Doing him no favors, Nebraska QB Tanner Lee was hit as he was throwing on 11 occasions last season, three more than any other quarterback in the class.

[*] Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph led the draft class with 17 TDs and 1,712 yards on deep passes (20-plus yards).

[*]Texas Tech QB Nic Shimonek was the only quarterback to complete more than 16 deep passes (20-plus yards) without throwing an interception in the class.

[*]Akransas QB Austin Allen saw the draft class’ highest adjusted completion percentage from a clean pocket at 85.0 percent.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/d ... -nfl-draft

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2