All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:47 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I've been doing my best to keep tabs on what the Miami reporters, national guys, and Twitter "experts" have been saying in regards to Miami. There is a pretty wide spectrum of what may happen. Here is what you need to know before Miami makes their first pick on Thursday night:

Miami is not going straight BPA. An Armando Salguero piece fresh off the press highlights Chris Grier comments that state Miami builds their board on what is best for the Miami Dolphins. It will be a marriage of need and value.

Miami is working the phones and hopes to trade, whether it is up or down. Just about every writer has confirmed that Miami has been on the phone with Denver to move up. Now before we assume it is just for a QB I want to draw your attention to a couple of things:

- Omar Kelly has stated he thinks this draft is hold your nose bad. While we take the good with the bad in what he writes, you have to take into account he prides himself on annual Man Crush List. This year he didn't even bother doing one after watching film and speaking with the experts. He also advocated that it might be best for Miami to just trade up and get one of the few blue chippers.

- Recall what is being said about who Miami has spent a lot of time with and "hints" we see in personnel interviews. Miami is doing major homework on Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick. DC Matt Burke has said a few times how Miami needs better coverage from either LBs or finding a hybrid LB/S. Its possible Miami is looking to jump other defensively starved teams like Tampa and Indy to get that elite prospect.

So back to the phones. Yes, Miami could move up if they can strike a deal with Denver. There is also word that they may look to move back and acquire an additional Day 2 pick for a team looking to jump Buffalo or other QB needy teams. I'm thinking it is for Lamar Jackson. Two names being floated as Miami targets are LBs Leighton Vander Esche and Rashaan Evans. They make much more sense around pick 20. Its also possible the CB hint we've heard comes into play.

We have exhausted QB talk but make no mistake Miami will come away with one by next Saturday. Whether it is Josh Rosen in Round 1, Luke Falk/Kyle Lauletta Round 3, Mike White/Kurt Benkert Round 4 or a late round flier on Kyle Allen/Chase Litton is the finger nail chomping answer we will soon receive.

Tight End is a need and everyone keeps pointing to Round 2 as the answer. The names you should know are Dallas Goedert, Hayden Hurst, Mike Gesicki, Mark Andrews, Ian Thomas and Chris Herndon. Those guys should all be selected between the late 1st and late 4th Round. Miami has met with all of them.

Do not think only picks are up for negotiation. Miami has a few talented players with only 1 year left on their deals who could fetch picks or be part of a package. Devante Parker, JaWuan James and Cameron Wake are big names that would not shock me - especially Parker. But remember, moving one creates a hole that isn't simply plugged by a rookie. The one name I've seen thrown around a lot is Andre Branch. Seems like the pass rushing crop in this draft leaves a lot to be desired and a team that misses on a guy in Round 1 or 2 might be willing to take that contract.

Miami has contingency plans, per Salguero. We know they have met with Kenny Vaccaro as a safety option. The door is open to discuss another deal with TE Anthony Fasano. CJ Anderson is available and the team has shown interest in the past. Miami also gets substantial cap relief on June 1st for the release of Ndomakung Suh. Do not panic if they don't address a position or you feel a hole still exists. I'm not saying the options are ideal, but they exist.

Miami cannot control what other teams do and hindsight is 20/20. I always love the praise or ridicule teams get for which player they select or how much they give in a trade. It is ridiculous to "grade a draft" before the guys even put a uniform on. Two of Miami's division rivals have a lot of draft capital. If they move up to draft a QB or star prospect...well it is what it is.

I will try to do one last mock draft prior to Thursday AM. I would love to be in the chat room on Thursday evening but it is the Mrs.'s birthday. So while you clowns are digesting everything that is going down I'll be covertly positioning my iPhone under a napkin at the restaurant to get instant Twitter updates. Its a dangerous mission but I've had elite training and a solid track record of achievement.

Enjoy the final days of spin and deceptive leaks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:00 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Thanks for the write up very enjoyable reading. I would not mind if the Phins picked up Troy Fumagalli at TE.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:24 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
Thanks for the write up very enjoyable reading. I would not mind if the Phins picked up Troy Fumagalli at TE.

Completely forgot about that guy. Like Lauletta there has been radio silence on him and I believe Miami met with him. He is a complete TE rather than the Goederts and Gesickis of the draft who are a bit one dimensional.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I don't think they trade in the 1st. Look for Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Derwin James. I hope it is Roquan Smith. But any of these 3 would be great.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I think we trade up and get one of the four qbs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:21 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If the Dolphins move from #11, I think its back. I think its impossibly expensive to move to #2, and most likely cost prohibitive to move up to #5 or #6, both from a draftpick standpoint, and the huge level of talent in this year's first 3 rounds. There's really not that big of a talent gap between #20 and #80, except for DE.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

jammer wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Completely forgot about that guy. Like Lauletta there has been radio silence on him and I believe Miami met with him. He is a complete TE rather than the Goederts and Gesickis of the draft who are a bit one dimensional.

I heard that he doesn't have the speed to be a legit seam threat. NFL.com doesn't list his 40 time, so perhaps he declined to run at the combine?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:21 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I like Dalton Schultz, the TE from Stanford.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:03 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Armando has tipped his hat. (He did this last year with Harris) He alludes to these four outcomes for the Dolphins this Thursday:

1. Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds (two players the Dolphins covet, according to Armando) falls to pick 8, 9, or 10, and the Bears, 49ers, or Raiders are willing to move down to 11. Dolphins trade up and pick one of them.
2. Buffalo trades up and drafts a QB, pushing Smith or Edmunds further down the board. One of these linebackers falls to 11, and the Dolphins pick him.
3. The Dolphins will take a long, hard look at Vita Vea at pick 11. Armando: "I know the Dolphins love him."
4. Wildcard! The Dolphins don't expect any of the top 4 QB's to fall to 11, but if one of them (most likely Josh Rosen) does...???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:36 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I have a sneaky suspicion that our pick is Lamar Jackson and we stay put at 11. I don't like it by we could use his skills. We get lucky in the 2nd and get Vander Esch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Eric Galko from Sporting News saying he has heard to watch out for Miami and Saquon Barkley if he slip out of the top 5.

He thinks that is where the Miami-Indy trade conversations developed.

I doubt it happens, but some interseting smoke as we approach Thursday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:
Armando has tipped his hat. (He did this last year with Harris) He alludes to these four outcomes for the Dolphins this Thursday:

1. Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds (two players the Dolphins covet, according to Armando) falls to pick 8, 9, or 10, and the Bears, 49ers, or Raiders are willing to move down to 11. Dolphins trade up and pick one of them.
2. Buffalo trades up and drafts a QB, pushing Smith or Edmunds further down the board. One of these linebackers falls to 11, and the Dolphins pick him.
3. The Dolphins will take a long, hard look at Vita Vea at pick 11. Armando: "I know the Dolphins love him."
4. Wildcard! The Dolphins don't expect any of the top 4 QB's to fall to 11, but if one of them (most likely Josh Rosen) does...???

Starting to hear that Rosen has been removed from several boards due to serious durability concerns. Missed most of 2016 with a shoulder injury and had multiple concussions this past season.

I think the wildcard name to watch for is Denzel Ward.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Eric Galko from Sporting News saying he has heard to watch out for Miami and Saquon Barkley if he slip out of the top 5.

He thinks that is where the Miami-Indy trade conversations developed.

I doubt it happens, but some interseting smoke as we approach Thursday.

This I actually believe. Gase is a Martz disciple and needs his Marshall Falk, with an emphasis on the mismatch Falk was in the passing game. Gase also supposedly liked what Atlanta did in 2016 with their two running back system. It almost eliminates TE as important position n his offense.

Barkley could have been their dream target all along, so they started talking up the qb's to get teams to move up and draft all 4, or even 5 now that the Lamar Jackson hype is in full gear.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:16 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

If the traditional TE position is not that important and can be replaced by a running back then I wonder if NCSU Jaylen Samuels might be a consideration in a later round.

I like him as a player. I think in the right offense he can be effective. He has return experience too.

Quote:
TE/WR/RB Jaylen Samuels, NC State
It was difficult to even give Samuels an official position in college with the way NC State used him on offense, and he’ll be even more difficult to slot at the next level. He was a part tight end, part running back, part slot receiver for the Wolfpack, finishing his college career with 1,865 receiving yards and 1,095 rushing yards to go with 47 total touchdowns (19 receiving, 28 rushing). Samuels has the quickness to be handed the ball in a traditional run game or on jet sweeps while lining up all over the field to create mismatches in the passing game. Other than a difference in size, he is reminiscent of Eagles TE Trey Burton, who came out of college as a jack of all trades and has tapped into some of that ability at the next level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/d ... 2018-draft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:21 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
jammer wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

I heard that he doesn't have the speed to be a legit seam threat. NFL.com doesn't list his 40 time, so perhaps he declined to run at the combine?

Height/weight/40 time for Fumagalli
6'4 --- 248 --- 4.84

http://pigskinprospects.com/players/troy-fumagalli/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:57 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Updates for today:

Schefter, Rappaport, Zierlin and Allbright all saying that Mayfield is the first pick.

Vegas odds now project Mayfield to be the 1st pick.

Now Allbright suggesting Denver could move up to 2 and take Darnold (who Eric Galko confirms they want).

Jets going QB at 3 so the Giants are basically guarateed to get on of either Chubb or Barkley at 5.

Back to Eric Galko (he's from Sporting News), he keeps tying QB Mike White to the Dolphins. He did a QB best case/worst case for each prospect and he had White as Jared Goff/Stephen McGee. That is a wide spectrum but he notes that White is the best perimeter passer in the draft and feels that pairing him with Gase will be like what McVay and Goff are doing in LA. For what its worth, I said two years ago, at least privately with a few members here, I would have traded everything to move up and take Goff. Love his accuracy and nonchalant throwing motion.

Salguero, Beasley and Jackson are promoting the idea of Miami trading back in the 1st Round to acquire an additional Day 2 pick. The idea is that they want a LB and would be happy to land Rashaan Evans. Per Beasley, that extra Day 2 pick could be used to move up and get Lamar Jackson in the 1st Round.

While Miami is still said to like Rosen, Allbright is saying several teams picking very high have removed him from their boards for injury and/or personality concerns.

As I said previously, Miami is going to fill holes with this draft and not just take BPA. The big mystery is that there may be holes we aren't aware of aka certain starters who Gase may not view as viable long term options. Insert a surprise selection like Mike McGlinchey who Allbright noticed is a legit possiblity for Miami at 11.

Buckle up!

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]