All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:15 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I thought that was hilarious, and it speaks about not only this one but a bunch of Dolphins drafts.

The link below is someone's rating of the 2014 draft. Only one "A", some "B's" but mostly "C's" and "D's". Miami's earned a "C-", but the Fins were not alone.

The Jerry Jones & son Dallas conversation about Manziel vs taking their all-pro guard Zach Martin was interesting.

Quote:
MIAMI DOLPHINS

Round 1 (19 overall). Ja'Wuan James, T, Tennessee
2 (63). Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
3 (67). Billy Turner, T, North Dakota State
4 (125). Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty
5 (155). Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia
5 (171). Jordie Tripp, LB, Montana
6 (190). Matt Hazel, WR, Coastal Carolina
7 (234). Terrence Fede, DE, Marist

Ja’Wuan James and Jarvis Landry became four-year starters, but neither’s more expensive second contract will be with Miami. James, who has been wildly up and down, but a little steadier lately, is playing on his fifth-year rookie option, which the league seems to think makes him overpriced, given that Miami’s efforts to trade him this spring were unsuccessful.

Landry wasn’t hard to trade. After 4,038 yards over four years, he was shipped to Cleveland for a 2018 fourth-rounder and a 2019 seventh-rounder. Landry’s talent shined through, but once Adam Gase arrived and route running precision became more emphasized, he wasn’t trusted enough to warrant $15.1 million a year.

Billy Turner had just one weakness. Unfortunately, it was blocking. He was drafted to play guard (the Dolphins were horrendously weak there in 2014, particularly on the left side with Nate Garner). He wound up playing turnstile.

Of the later round picks, Walt Aikens has become a special teamer and decent source of secondary depth, and Terrence Fede pleasantly flashes two or three times a year off the bench. The other three guys never stuck.

How you grade this draft is a matter of philosophy: Are early-round picks who started for four years (and mostly played well) deemed a success? Or, to be successful, must an early rounder warrant a second contract? Two things complicate this question. One is that Landry and James would be gladly welcomed long-term, just not at higher-end prices. Two is the fact that the men deciding on their second deals—Football Ops VP Mike Tannenbaum and GM Chris Grier—are not the ones who drafted them. Of course, if these picks were truly great, the man who did make them (Dennis Hickey) might still be here.

Grade: C-

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/08/draft ... halil-mack

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:50 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I give Hickey a D- on this draft. Aside from Landry he went after talented small town school players trying to get steals. This is what we have left on the team: one starter. He does get an asterick as Jarvis Landry would have bumped it to a C if Tannenbaum would have extended him last year. That asterick also applies to Landry for being a jerk to Coach Gase to where Gase didn't lobby to want him extended.

1 (19 overall). Ja'Wuan James, T, Tennessee
4 (125). Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty

Fede is with the Bills, but he did ok as being a former 7th round project. I will always remember him for one of the dumbest plays that I've ever seen a Dolphins player do:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]