All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is why I trust Rizzi with drafting kicker Jason Sanders in the 7th round.

:yay:

Barry Jackson wrote:
In evaluating whether a kicker is any good, the first thing fans usually look at is his accuracy rate on field goals.

That’s why it was surprising when respected Dolphins special teams coordinator Darren Rizzi said the following on Saturday after being asked why he liked Dolphins seventh-round rookie kicker Jason Sanders, who made only 25 of 35 field goals (71 percent) in his career at New Mexico:

“A lot of people don’t want to hear this, but really, when you look at a college placekicker, one of the last things I look at is field goal percentage, and there’s a reason for that,” Rizzi said.

“The reason for that is because a lot of times in college, the operations are [not consistently good]… It’s completely different than the NFL. I can sit here for hours and talk about the guys and give you examples. Stephen Gostkowski for the Patriots was a 76-percent field-goal kicker in college. Matt Bryant for the Falcons was a 72-percent field-goal kicker in college. Mason Crosby (was a) 74-percent kicker in college. Phil Dawson was a 74-percent kicker in college. Robbie Gould was a 63-percent kicker in college. Between those five guys, they have over 70 years of NFL experience.

“The point is the field goal percentage probably gets looked at a little bit too much. But in this day in age of fantasy football and numbers and everything, I get it.”

Though Sanders took accountability for his misses during a news conference Friday, Rizzi suggested that either the snap or ball placement wasn’t ideal on a lot of his college kicks. That’s one reason for his mediocre percentage.

“His operation wasn’t great,” Rizzi said. “I know he’s not going to stand here in front of you and tell you guys that. He’s going to put the blame on him; but his operation wasn’t great. I was really impressed with the talent, the person, and obviously we felt strong enough to draft him at that point. Even the other kicker that got drafted in the fifth round – (Minnesota fifth-rounder Daniel Carlson) – his senior year, he was below 80 percent [at Auburn]. You can see I did a little bit of homework on that, by the way.”

Bottom line, Rizzi said, is this: Sanders is “a guy that didn’t get a lot of opportunity in college. He’s a guy that only had 35 field-goal attempts because his head coach went for it a lot of times in the red zone. Bob Davie is an aggressive coach. They didn’t kick a lot of field goals. I think he had more long field goals than short field goals, because it seemed like every time they were close, they went for it.

“He obviously did a really good job on his PATs and his kickoffs. I feel like if he was a guy that was in a Power 5 conference, he would have been much more of a household name, if you will. He might have been a little bit higher up the draft board; but it worked out great for us.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:56 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

How I evaluate a kicker.

Does he have a strong leg and can he get it to go to the right place?

That is all.

Why do we need an entire fluff piece on this position?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:

It's the offseason. All you have right now is fluff and the "realists" predicting a dead last finish in the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am 

Let's have an article detailing what happens when the ref goes under the hood during a replay.... zzzzZZZZzzz

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:38 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Miami has a history of some great kickers....We just lost a good one and I'm sure this guy will jump right in...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:16 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The QB competition should be interesting (well, as interesting as watching kickers go for each other's throats;) as we have a 7th round rookie (Jason Sanders/New Mexico) and a Undrafted Free Agent (Greg Joseph/FAU) battling it out.

Jason Lieser wrote:
Joseph hit 70 percent of his 82 field goal attempts at FAU, while Sanders made 71 percent on 35 tries. Both were very strong on kickoffs as well, according to Rizzi.

Rizzi, by the way, was the only NFL coach to put Joseph through a workout leading up to the draft and volunteered some helpful tips during that meeting in Boca Raton.

Joseph spent the last several months training and did some of that work in Jupiter with Parkey, who signed with Chicago as a free agent in March. That helped him tremendously, and he still refers back to some of the pointers he got in those sessions.

“A lot of mindset advice, and he did help me out with my form because he’s experienced and he’s seen a lot in his time in the NFL,” Joseph said. “I took all of it to heart and I wrote it down.”

One similarity between the two appears to be their mentality, though Joseph has yet to get the opportunity to prove he can maintain it under the pressure of kicking in an NFL game. Both players emphasize an absolute concentration on routine, which is something Rizzi often praised about Parkey.

The machinelike process is what attracted the Dolphins to Parkey in the first place, and it’s something they noticed about Joseph as well. That kind of disposition is reassuring to the coaching staff, and maintaining that outlook will help Joseph as he tries to secure his spot. It comes out in listless clichés, but it’s exactly how Rizzi wants him thinking.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... n-sanders/

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:32 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Because football wouldn’t be FOOTBALL without the kicker. Duh.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]