All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:20 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Are you guys out there? I feel like I am just talking to myself these days and posting news clippings. We used to talk, befriend each other, and fight like family here on the forum.

Anyways, as far as Gase, I don't mind him being their friend, and it is refreshing, but can you win a team and a locker room by being their "friend"? I am actually eager to see how this team responds to the new culture. His off-season actions should hopefully prove "yes".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Another good article.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:18 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I can't stand Belicheat and like all of us I'm sick of hearing about the "Patriot Way." That said I also have concerns about whether or not we have a coach we can win long term with. I was a true believer going into last year but I now have doubts. We didn't just lose because of Cutler last year. We got out coached in at least a few of those games. And the penalties and overall lack of discipline drove me batty. I hope it gets better this year. It has to.

I'm still here Dave!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:35 am 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

We are here Dave, I just think it's the slow time of year.

As far as the "principal" mentality, you can't argue with the results. Look at Bellichek and look at Saban. They are both detailed, in your face, my way or the highway guys, but they win championships.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 am 

Coots wrote:

As far as the "principal" mentality, you can't argue with the results. Look at Bellichek and look at Saban. They are both detailed, in your face, my way or the highway guys, but they win championships.
As for that, Shula wasn't a buddy to his players either. A few coaches have won over the years being more relatable, though. Either way can work.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:04 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Hard to care about football and the mediocre Dolphins. Sick of the endless protests everywhere in our fractured society. I care little for protests against the nation that are led by millionaires playing a game.

The Dolphins need a disciplinarian as coach. A guy who can also back it up with his coaching skills. The last qualified coach we had was the traitor, Nick Saban. Maybe the removal of some of the locker room cancers in the off season will help, but the Dolphins have been an uncontrolled train wreck on the field for years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:31 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
I can't stand Belicheat and like all of us I'm sick of hearing about the "Patriot Way." That said I also have concerns about whether or not we have a coach we can win long term with. I was a true believer going into last year but I now have doubts. We didn't just lose because of Cutler last year. We got out coached in at least a few of those games. And the penalties and overall lack of discipline drove me batty. I hope it gets better this year. It has to.

I'm still here Dave!

Cutler is part of the reason that I have doubts about Coach Gase this year.

Do you think that part of the discipline problem may be because he is a players Coach. It may be hard to be a friend of the players and demand the discipline (be the hard @$$ like Shula) it takes to cut out the stupid penalties.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:11 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
Coots wrote:

As for that, Shula wasn't a buddy to his players either. A few coaches have won over the years being more relatable, though. Either way can work.

From what I've seen over the years, the "buddy coach" cannot win long-term. Maybe in today's NFL with today's players that is the way to go, but I do have my doubts. Gase may be their friend, but he seems to want things done his way or you will be out of here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:12 am 

AQNOR wrote:
k-dash wrote:

I'm still here Dave!

Cutler is part of the reason that I have doubts about Coach Gase this year.

Do you think that part of the discipline problem may be because he is a players Coach. It may be hard to be a friend of the players and demand the discipline (be the hard @$$ like Shula) it takes to cut out the stupid penalties.
That's the trouble with "player's coaches", at least by reputation. There's sometimes an inability to crack down as much as needed. Pete Carrol has figured out how to do it. So did Doug Pederson. Somehow Gase has to fix this. I think it's part of the reason he brought in guys like Sitting, Gore and Amendola.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:38 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Everytime I hear "Players Coach" I think of a mom who's "bff's" with her 16-year old daughter. We all know how that usually plays out.

Players coaches usually can be that guy right up until they don't pay someone, or worse, cut someone. After that, they're "Two-faced" and dishonest. See Carroll now. See Pedersen in 5 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I don't think it matters if Gase is just one of the guys or an authoritarian. If his players give it 110% for him they'll win a lot of games. If they prefer a "me first" approach and care about their brand over doing the little things to win then you get more 7-9 seasons.

We'll find out if it was Gase's inability to coach guys up or the players not giving an honest effort. Seems there was way too much talk about guys not knowing the plays, their routes, their blocking assignments and a host of free lancing on defense.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:10 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It's the difference between doing something because you have to, and doing something because you want to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:35 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I would imagine that most teachers would tell you that more people do what is inspected than what is expected.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:25 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
I would imagine that most teachers would tell you that more people do what is inspected than what is expected.

Becoming a philosopher, Mark?

:))

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:03 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Becoming a philosopher, Mark?

:))

One of my professors used to quote this line if he heard students complaining about homework or tests.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Meh, just not into the NFL as much anymore. The complaints about social injustice, the kneeling etc. It started with Kaepernick for me. Complaints about not getting paid enough, beating their wives/gf's I've had enough. I spend a lot of time watching local high school games and college.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]