Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Smart "team building"?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Dolphins added Quinn because last year's starters failed to get to the quarterback. I love this move. Still, drafting Harris and adding Branch are an example of failing to evaluate your roster. The Dolphins expected Cam Wake's performance to erode, so, they drafted Harris as his replacement as a starter, and that hasn't really happened. I still like the Harris draft pick IF he can elevate his game this year. Branch should not have been given the contract that he was given. Perhaps he will play more like his 2016 self, but that was still overpaid in my opinion.

Armando Salguero wrote:
With Quinn and Wake as starters, the investments that Miami made in Harris (in the draft) and Branch (in free agency) raise questions.

Why?

Because the Dolphins felt the need to add Quinn to be a starter despite having both Harris and Branch itching to be starters.

The Dolphins would tell you this is smart team building.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Except, the best shot that all defensive ends want to fire is when they have a chance to sack a quarterback. Typically, that happens on obvious passing downs. And, no, the Dolphins aren’t likely to roll in a lesser player to sit a better Wake or Quinn in those instances.

That would be competing with your best players on the bench. Who does that?

So the Dolphins could have a very highly drafted or highly-paid defensive end on the bench on most passing downs.

“I think it’s going to be a battle to get in on the third-down rush unit, which is a good thing because now those guys are all pushing each other,” Gase said. “It’s going to be one of those things because if you’re on that group that means you’re doing the right stuff. You’re working well with that group.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]