Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:04 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

:clap

Brick Wall Blitz wrote:
2. Miami Dolphins

How much you like or dislike Ryan Tannehill will affect how you feel about the 2018 Miami Dolphins.

To me, Ryan Tannehill has been one of the more underrated quarterbacks in the league. Despite Miami constantly handing him incompetent situations (bad receiving corps, offensive lines, and coaching), Tannehill has been able to make these offenses look competent by providing great pocket movement, strong play under pressure and refined downfield accuracy. His best supporting cast came in 2016, when Adam Gase was able to give Tannehill more intermediate and vertical throwing lanes, better suiting his skill set.

I was never a Jarvis Landry fan, so freeing him up will allow the Dolphins to run a faster offense that isn’t held back by force feeding one receiver. Kenny Stills is a well rounded receiver, Danny Amendola should have another quality year as slot receiver in a new home, and Albert Wilson is both a very good screen and vertical threat. It’s a make or break year for Devante Parker, who hasn’t been able to put together consistent stretches of quality play despite flashes of his talent.

Mike Gesicki is a talented rookie tight end with a great catch radius. While he develops, MarQueis Gray and A.J. Derby (who flashed potential in Denver) remain in front of him. Josh Sitton should prove to be a massive upgrade at left guard, and combined with left tackle Laremy Tunsil and new center Daniel Kilgore, the Dolphins will have a greatly improved (though not great) offensive line.

Kenyan Drake should be starting over Frank Gore. While he had a limited sample size after the Jay Ajayi trade, Drake was excellent between the tackles in that sample size. Gore’s skill set has put him one step ahead of father time, but his snaps should go to the rookie Kalen Ballage.

On the other side of the ball, Miami’s secondary should surprise a lot of people. Rookie safety Minkah Fitzpatrick should be an impact player right away, corner Xavien Howard greatly improved as the 2017 season went on, Reshad Jones has remained a high quality strong safety, and T.J. McDonald and Bobby McCain are also solid.

On the other hand, I’m not wild about the talent up front. The trade for Robert Quinn might pan out, but it depends on if he’s ever at 100 percent again. Cameron Wake has become a household name in Miami, but he’s 36, so we’ll see if he has anything left in the tank. The defensive tackle spot looks like it’ll be a hole, and while the linebacker group is better, the team should move on from Kiko Alonso after the season.

All things considered, Ryan Tannehill is a lot better than 2017 Jay Cutler. Combine him with a promising run game, a good receiving corps, improved offensive line and exciting secondary, and the Dolphins could be a surprise playoff contender in 2018, especially with a somewhat favorable schedule.

Floor: 8-8

Ceiling: 10-6

https://brickwallblitz.com/2018/08/09/b ... -to-worst/

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]