View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Ronnie gets DUI continuance 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ronnie gets DUI continuance
Quote:
Miami Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown received a continuance on his DUI case, his next date in Marietta (Ga.) Municipal court moved from Thursday to Sept. 2 at 1:30 p.m.

That also happens to be the day of the Dolphins' final preseason game, an 8 p.m. eastern time kickoff in Dallas.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/14/1 ... z0tgn7bRIw

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Ronnie gets DUI continuance
Correct me if I'm wrong:
1st DUI charge: no action by the league
2nd DUI charge: 3 game suspension

1st possession of marijuana: 4 game suspension
2nd possession of marijuana: 8 game suspension

Does this make any sense? Driving while intoxicated is deadly, and causes harm to millions of people every day. Possessing marijuana is just that, the possession of a drug that does no more harm than alcohol.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:40 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Iowafin wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong:

Does this make any sense? Driving while intoxicated is deadly, and causes harm to millions of people every day. Possessing marijuana is just that, the possession of a drug that does no more harm than alcohol.

No it doesn't. And you would think that after Dante Stallworth's incident the NFL would take a harder stance on it.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong:

No it doesn't. And you would think that after Dante Stallworth's incident the NFL would take a harder stance on it.

Well, either that, or lessen the punishment on marijuana. I suppose that gets into whether it should be legalized or not, but I say either outlaw them both, or allow both. This double standard thing seems counterproductive.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:49 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong:

It makes sense as far as the law is concerned. Marijuana is considered an illegal drug. To me, a DUI should be just as bad. Many people die each year by a drunk driver.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Plus driving while high is much less dangerous than driving while drunk. Not that it's smart, either way. DUI is just so darn stupid. I'm a poor a** student and I would take a cab 20 times before I drove drunk.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:35 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Here hoping that Ronnie Brown is trying to address what seems to be a possible problem in regards to alcohol.

As has been stated, many, many people lose there lives to drunken drivers and you would think these guys would be smarter about it, but they are not.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:33 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Perfect example on our team. Would you rather your child look up to Ronnie Brown who is now a known law breaker with a DUI (yes im exaggerating and simplifying) or Ricky Williams 5 years ago? I think this is an easy decision..... Ronnie is a stand up guy, before and after his little mishap, and this mishap is small enough to be concealed and swiped under the rug without a major PR disaster. Ricky's well we all know how it went. But even so, would you rather a child look up to some one who had a few too many drinks and tried to drive home once (because thats all it could have been) or would you want that same child looking up to a habitual pot head (and dont give me that, you may have only done it once routine.... if you got caught with weed, its 99.9% likely that its NOT your first time, and that you do it occassionally,often, frequently, habitually, or constantly)

a DUI does not mean anything. DUI's dont mean alcoholism, dependency, or an abuser of a LEGAL substance. It just means that you got stupid one night and thought you could make it all the way home.... You grew a pair and decided to risk it. You got caught, bad idea, now you know better and wont do it again (unless your an idiot).
Possession of marijuana, thats a illegal substance, plus, if your 'holding', then you more than likely are a user. Implying multiple uses, which basically means multiple offenses that you just werent caught doing but its known that you were...
there are exceptions to these situations but for the most part, they are accurate...
a DUI is a wake up call, should be a 1 time deal, and its a 'mistake'.
Possession charges, well yea they should be a wake up call, but its obvious that it wasnt your first time playing around...

So the punishments by the league under these terms, very fair

Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Yes a DUI is looked upon as nothing more than being stupid for a night ... unless you are in the other car in an accident!! Now I know that is not happened in Ronnies Brown case but apparently it was close. These guys know they are gonna get a slap on the wrist ,,, Stallworth killed someone & that is just what happened. I love when Ronnie Brown scores a TD but to go easy on him because of the uniform he wears I just cannot do that.
He needs to pay the price just the same as if this were you or I. Nobody would be making excuses for us!!
I would not want my kid to look up to the ricky Williams of 5 years ago but I would also not want my kid to get in a car with ronnie Brown driving present day.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:23 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think the difference in penalties is rooted in the thought that a DUI is a one time lapse of judgment in combining two entirely legal and acceptable things into something stupid illegal and dangerous.

Getting a positive test for Pot is more indicative of a pattern of rule and law breaking all actions that lead to a positive test for pot are illegal (acquiring, possessing, using) thus multiple decisions were made to trigger the test and probably made multiple times. While I doubt Ronnie is a guy who habitually and recreationally drink and drives on a regular basis, I do believe anyone who tests positive for pot does habitually and recreationally smoke pot on a regular basis.

Furthermore, a DUI is a legal and image issue as opposed to a performance issue. Any substance on the banned substance list is considered a performance issue.

But in reality I'm guessing these are the rules the union agreed upon and that's why they are this way. It's stupid.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:21 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

All it takes is one time for a stupid mistake to turn into a tragedy. Ask Donte Stallworth about it.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]