Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Post subject: this defense....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:00 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

...should start getting the credit it deserves, and Burke along with it. If this stuff has been written about already here I apologize if I'm repetitive....

Anyway, turnovers, key stops, getting the ball back to the offense, all the ingredients necessary for a team to stay in the game or pull away. The offense wasted a few such chances, still struggling on 3rd downs, but overall, a huge win on the road, bringing the Jets down a notch or 50.

The run defense very stout, even without a MLB. I'm being sort of facetious, but if you watch the "tape", Mr. McMillan no. 52 seems to have an aversion for being around the ball where it counts. If he shows up, he's usually late to the party. But no matter, maybe he'll play himself into shape, in the meantime the dline is playing lights out, making plays in the backfield, rushing the passer, making it uncomfortable for the QB and shutting down what was expected to be a good pair of runners for the Jets. Quinn is probably the best trade acquisition since.....Paul Warfield? I'm taking you guys back, but really, I can't recall a trade where the player we got has made such an immediate impact.

FItzpatrick has been a huge addition, always around the ball and has a knack for making tackles, the instinct to take on a block and still be in position to make the tackle. McMillan in contrast does not have those instincts.

Tannehill as usual had his ups and downs. They had an awful 3rd qtr, in the 4th he overthrew an open Albert Wilson who got behind the defense. The bomb would have been the game right there, but give him credit, Tannehill played tough at the end, keeping the ball around end, running for 1st downs, forcing the Jets to use their TOs, and the last one when time was running out, sealed the win.

But I go back to the defense. This level of performance, even dominance at times, was not expected. The playmakers were supposed to be all on offense, Gase's sweet spot, and Wilson for one has been that and more (Parker Who?), but the D is keeping him undefeated at this point.

Post subject: Re: this defense....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I definitely like what I have seen so far. It’s still unwise to hedge any bets on most team units, or teams overall, unless you are strictly looking at the individual match ups on that particular day, until at least 4 or 5 games in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:12 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

ohhh, I don't know....they are putting up Mahomes of KC for Man of the Year or something already and maybe he is deserving. And Fitzpatrick over in Tampa is said to likely keep former no. 1 overall Winston on the bench....no one will talk Fins, they never do, so I'll put my votes up for the Miami D and we'll worry four or five weeks down the road if for some reason this turns out to be a mirage.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There are examples of stretches of great football followed up by mediocrity without fail every year. Happens to several teams. Several players. Every season. KC in particular has a notorious reputation of being unable to keep their foot on the gas towards the last quarters of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:28 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

it doesn't matter.....let us enjoy it while it's there....some of us haven't seen this for awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

After next week the flying under the window ends and this team on both sides of the ball will get credit and that includes our QB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:36 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
it doesn't matter.....let us enjoy it while it's there....some of us haven't seen this for awhile.

Trends do matter. This team has been heartbreak this entire century. Cautious optimism would do you a lot more good.

FINesse wrote:
After next week the flying under the window ends

....under the window?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:39 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The defense won it today for sure. The offense only seemed able to score off turnovers and a short field. Tannehill got it done with his legs today. If we keep having to do that, hw won’t last through the season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:54 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Cautious optimism would do you a lot more good.

You stay cautiously optimistic, I'm throwing a beer party!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:

You do that brotha. I’m not trying to be pessimistic. Just saying I’m not getting too far ahead of myself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:02 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
carreramia wrote:
I’m not trying to be pessimistic.

coulda fooled me.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
coulda fooled me.....

All I see is reality and truth behind what I said. Nothing disputable. Ain’t drunk on the kool aide. When you follow trends and put cash on games, you tend to see a lot more truth and less aqua and orange shade. Glad Miami is off to a 2-0 start.

Cautious optimism.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:12 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

carreramia wrote:
Quinn is probably the best trade acquisition since.....Paul Warfield? I'm taking you guys back, but really, I can't recall a trade where the player we got has made such an immediate impact.

There was a brief period of time where we thought Keith Byars (RB) and Keith Jackson (TE) were the missing pieces we needed back in the early 90s, and they made some immediate contributions. But, it didn't last.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:17 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I see you bein' all full of positivity, there carreramia.

:clap

Loved the D today. Agree about RT being kinda up and down. Numbers were good, though the fumble was ugly. Drake, Gore, Grant and Wilson all look exciting on offense. Amendola will be reliable.

Meanwhile the Raiders are looking good all of a sudden against the Broncos. Can't afford to take anybody for granted.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:22 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Props to the D. Nothing like the mighty Quinn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:43 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
All I see is reality and truth behind what I said.

....don't you worry, I don't see anyone here making SB reservations......but while we wait to prove that the earth is flat, I love watching Bellicheat stalking the sidelines all peed-off at his players not being super bowl perfect...how dare they!?

Enjoy the moment Sir, for you don't know when you'll get a second chance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:33 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

k-dash wrote:
I see you bein' all full of positivity

Eh? don't know what else you would have expected to read....it was a victory over a worthy opponent on the road, coming off a high, all the talk about their QB, the clear favorite going in, a packed, aggressive crowd, where better Dolphin teams have folded in the past...too obvious I think.

k-dash wrote:
Meanwhile the Raiders are looking good all of a sudden against the Broncos

.....but this wasn't you, was it? No way. Couldn't be. Say it ain't so Joe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:36 pm 

Just tryin' to have some fun out of the last exchange we had. No snark intended.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami started 3-0 in 2013 with good wins and then got exposed on MNF by the Saints.

I'm not saying that will happen this year, but there is evidence as to why you shouldn't get too hot or cold this early in the season.

With that said, this isn't a Joe Philbin team so I lean more toward something good cooking in Miami.

On defense I'd say stopping the run has been a great surprise. I thought they'd get carved up. You knew the pass rush and secondary had the talent to make things happen and I'm glad they are proving us correct.

Tannehill is a part of the engine, not the driving force. If this was his bad game I'll take it. At this point be content that he makes some clutch throws and runs each game to keep Miami in it. Just hope he catches a hot streak if Miami makes the playoffs.

Serious hats off to the front office for getting some weapons on offense. Wilson, Amendola, Derby, Gore...all have done nice things in each game. This feels like a cohesive unit rather than one that will fail if an alpha player has a bad game. Still plenty of kinks to work out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:52 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

k-dash wrote:
Just tryin' to have some fun out of the last exchange we had. No snark intended.

U sneeky devil u.....I figured as much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:08 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
On defense I'd say stopping the run has been a great surprise.

Serious hats off to the front office for getting some weapons on offense. Wilson, Amendola, Derby, Gore...

Too bad this McMillan kid isn't playing the part, for if we had a true physical MLB that can plug the right hole or read it right and pre-empt the edge, the run defense could even be more dominant.

Wilson, geez, to think KC made him expendable and you look at the Chiefs flying up and down the field over there. Whew! Our gain thankfully (about time!).....Wilson has made the Parker matter irrelevant and I truly hope Mr. Gase don't over think it and mess this up trying to blend the underachiever in. This will soon come to a head as I think there's a good thing already with Wilson moving around, Mighty Mite getting open quick and running for yards. I'll be interested to see how Gase will handle it.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a sprained hamstring getting in the way, nothing serious mind you, just keeping it simple for Gase that's all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:15 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Miami started 3-0 in 2013 with good wins and then got exposed on MNF by the Saints.

I'm not saying that will happen this year, but there is evidence as to why you shouldn't get too hot or cold this early in the season.

With that said, this isn't a Joe Philbin team so I lean more toward something good cooking in Miami.

On defense I'd say stopping the run has been a great surprise. I thought they'd get carved up. You knew the pass rush and secondary had the talent to make things happen and I'm glad they are proving us correct.

Tannehill is a part of the engine, not the driving force. If this was his bad game I'll take it. At this point be content that he makes some clutch throws and runs each game to keep Miami in it. Just hope he catches a hot streak if Miami makes the playoffs.

Serious hats off to the front office for getting some weapons on offense. Wilson, Amendola, Derby, Gore...all have done nice things in each game. This feels like a cohesive unit rather than one that will fail if an alpha player has a bad game. Still plenty of kinks to work out.

I see the team getting much better both in confidence and play..Early season games are always a little sloppy, so a win is a win.. Which is why I believed going into the season as a run 1st/defensive team.( See what the run game has been doing on first down!)

We have some good looking rookies and 2nd year players..Gase does a good job at keeping the team focused and playing at it's potential..

But we would be so much better with a qb that wasn't so mediocre.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:04 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:

I think what we saw in the 3rd quarter is what frustrates us with him. With a big lead we expect him to jump on it and extend the lead, but we have a whole quarter of where the offense sputters. I really like Tannehill and want to see him play more like week 1 where he was the same player throughout the game. Some people like to complain about a couple of his throws that were off-target, but if you watch any QB play, they all throw a few they want back. Brady, the GOAT, threw some passes yesterday that a few of the whiners here would be calling for his backup.

BTW, let's get back on topic and talk about the outstanding job the defense did. The DL won the battle in the trenches all day long.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:44 pm 

A bunch of guys on D really stood out to me.

Kiko, for all the crap he has taken, was a beast. 13 tackles, often at the LOS or near.
Godchaux was a MAN against the run.
What about that ridiculous toe-tap balletic interception of X's? Thing of beauty.
Quinn was a force. Again. Great trade.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:01 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
Godchaux was a MAN against the run

Every time you heard Godchaux's name he was in the middle of a run stuff. We may have to change his number to 95 and call him Tim Bowens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:19 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Our run defense ranks 4th in the NFL and our defensive passer rating is #1.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Pass coverage. Yards per game isn’t an accurate measure, because teams can pad their passing numbers when trailing.

More indicative is passer rating against. And in that area, the Dolphins have gone from fifth worst in the league last year (94.8) to best (56.6).

“It’s a total team effort,” Jones said. “We have one of the best front sevens in football. We got a chance to be one of the best secondaries in all of football. I have to give credit to the front men; they’re playing lights out, making our job easy.”

And Fitzpatrick’s addition has been enormous, complementing solid play by Xavien Howard and Bobby McCain on the boundary.

“Minkah is good,” Jones said. “Comes from a winning program, always asking questions. He’s been thriving [in the slot]. He definitely has brought a spark to the room.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

carreramia wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

OMG, C, really? The most pessimistic person in the history of the old Sun Sentinel board? LOL

Glad to see you enjoying the win and the 2-0 start. But we got a road game against the Pats in 2 weeks, and we can't win without scoring points in the 2nd half. And playing like we did against Houston won't get the job done either.
Oh, just want to say FU to the Browns.........how do you trade a player with the potential and big play ability that Gordon possesses to the one team in your conference that routinely makes it to the AFC Championship game every year? You cannot tell me the 49ers wouldn't have given up a 5th rounder for him, and their pick will more than likely be higher. I use to feel sorry for the Browns, but now I hope they keep on losing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:54 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Relive1972 wrote:
OMG, C, really? The most pessimistic person in the history of the old Sun Sentinel board? LOL

Oh, just want to say FU to the Browns.........how do you trade a player with the potential and big play ability that Gordon possesses to the one team in your conference that routinely makes it to the AFC Championship game every year?

What u talking about Willis?! You referring to that pile of failing years? The annual soap operas following Jimmy the Mercenary? Wannstedt? Then Saban? Then Parcells? Then Ireland? Cameron...Sparano....Philbin...Ross chasing after Harbaugh then having to apologize to Sparano and extend him 2 years?? How can 20 years of unmitigated crapola be called pessimistic? They made it easy for me. They proved, year after year, post after post, debate after debate, to be a Hindenburg-quality disaster. Of course, you would never know, buried deep in those aqua and orange pom-poms of yours!

:)

We haven't had a 2-0 record since 2013, likely to be 3-0. I don't remember 2017, much less 2013, so 2-0, 3-0, time to break out those fireworks.

And about NE? Hey. Don't blame the stinkin', lowly Browns, they are suffering enough. They should be 2-0. That there is all about NE. Why are they able to do that? The answer is the same as to how they have been able to be the model franchise for the past 17 years. We hate them, but you have to give it to them. They find the way. If another team wanted Gordon enough they should have sweetened the pot. NE did. They win again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:07 pm 

The question is, will this "win" be a win on the field or a will Gordon find a quick, quiet exit out of the NFL? Time will tell. If he lives up to his potential it will be another example of NE FO brilliance. If he's cut after 2 weeks it will be ignored.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Relive1972 wrote:
carreramia wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Glad to see you enjoying the win and the 2-0 start. ...

This site must be a good influence on him with all of its positivity oozing from its pores.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:41 am 

:))

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]