Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Analyst Takeaways

Akeem Spence and Davon Godchaux were problems for the interior of the Jets’ offensive line from start to finish, particularly in the run game. Spence and Godchaux were big contributors for a Dolphins front seven that largely bottled up the ground game.

Ryan Tannehill was able to lead his team to victory, but it wasn’t a great day for him. He was able to execute short, quick passes in an RPO-heavy offense against the Jets, but his accuracy on throws in the intermediate and deeper areas of the field wasn’t particularly sharp. The veteran signal-caller also coughed up two fumbles on the afternoon with the Dolphins’ offense recovering the first and the Miami defense making people forget quickly about the second after answering with an interception on the Jets’ first play following.

First-round pick Minkah Fitzpatrick turned in a solid day, highlighted by a tackle for loss on a screen pass in the second quarter and close coverage downfield on a shot to Robby Anderson in the end zone on the Jets’ final possession.

The Dolphins went heavy with RPOs and read options in this game, and they succeeded at keeping the Jets’ defense off balance. Despite his struggles in the passing game, Tannehill made some great decisions with the read option, keeping the ball a handful of times and picking up a good chunk of yardage whenever he did, including an eight-yard pickup on third-and-six right before the two-minute warning to put the Jets away for good. Miami didn’t have a ton of chunk plays in this one, but they did a nice job at staying on schedule, chipping away at New York’s defense.

Keys to the game
Miami:
The Dolphins were able to take advantage of some good field position early on to take themselves to a lead that was too much for the Jets to overcome. Despite his struggles, Tannehill was able to orchestrate an effective ground attack in the second half to stave off the New York comeback attempt. ...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/r ... rk-jets-12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It is clear after 5 seasons Tannehill is a solid game manager and will never be an elite QB. Teams will tighten up the field as the season goes on and dare him to throw deep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I was hoping more from Kilgore, but he is doing ok. There is a difference between he and Pouncey as far as talent, but he's a steady leader on that OL ... and he is good for the line's chemistry as they can also grow during practice. This should help Larson as well. I think we will have to draft a guard next year by the second round. There will be question marks about Sitton and our RG could use an upgrade as well. At least this year we with a real guard at guard instead of converting a veteran tackle.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Pro Football Focus charged guard Ted Larsen with one of the four sacks Sunday. Center Daniel Kilgore appeared primarily to blame on one of the others.

Meanwhile, left tackle Laremy Tunsil was the team’s highest-graded offensive player in Week 2, earning an overall PFF grade of 76.3.

Per PFF, “Tunsil still needs to clean up his penalties [two so far this season after 12 last year], but he has allowed just one pressure in 68 pass-blocking snaps through two games.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:08 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson wrote:
▪ Tannehill stands eighth in the NFL in passer rating at 104.9 and PFF says he “was stellar once again when facing no pressure, completing 14-18 passes for 135 yards and two touchdowns for a quarterback rating of 135.0.

“Tannehill ranks sixth among all quarterbacks in time to throw through the first two weeks of the season, averaging just 2.38 seconds per passing play.”

One thing that stands out here is that Tannehill is getting more time to throw the ball. We saw on that 19 yard TD pass to Derby that when he has time to look the field over he can identify the open man and throw a pass on a rope right in the chest. I think we all wanted to see Tannehill get more time to pass in order to really evaluate him, and he is getting that this year. Now, Gase has to help his continued developing pocket presence. I do see improvement in this area, and he has to remember to move his feet.

Barry Jackson wrote:
▪ Defensive tackle Davon Godchaux was PFF’s highest-graded Dolphins player on defense against the Jets, and defensive end Robert Quinn led the team with five total pressures and is the team’s highest-graded defensive player (80.5 overall) through the first two weeks of the season.

He reminds me of Tim Bowens as when you hear his name called it is usually because he has stuffed someone at the LOS. You won't hear his name getting a sack as Phillips does, but he is consistent on every play. He's a mauler.

Barry Jackson wrote:
▪ Not only does linebacker Kiko Alonso ranks seventh in the league in tackles with 19 and tied for first in forced fumbles with two, but his pass coverage is much improved.

Per PFF, Alonso has allowed just 50 percent of the targets thrown his way to be caught through two games this season; that number was 84.6 percent in 2017. He allowed three of six targets to be caught for 36 yards Sunday.

But linebacker Raekwon McMillan allowed all three passes thrown against him to be caught, for 57 yards and a touchdown, and has now allowed 8 of 9 passes in his coverage area to be caught for 107 yards through two games.

Kiko said that he played hurt last year, and it is looking like that is true. He also played a new position. Now he is the leader of this linebacker group. He just need to help the rookie McMillan. McMillan was a tackling machine in college, but the knock on him was that he needed work in pass coverage. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at him in pass coverage. We could have drafted Zach Cunningham, but he hasn't played much better and he has a year of experience last year. I think McMillan will improve. He sure has a lot of tape to look at;)

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]