Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:21 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Good

Ryan Tannehill had his cleanest game of the season thus far. When the running game couldn't get it going, the Dolphins turned to Tannehill for some timely downfield passes to get the offense going. Yes, two of the touchdown "passes" were forward tosses that make his numbers look real pretty, but Tannehill was still accurate downfield as well, hitting Kenny Stills for a gorgeous 34 yard TD, hitting Devante Parker for another 36 yarder downfield and getting the tight ends involved a little bit as well. He also chipped in with some timely runs to keep drives alive. While there is still room to take more steps towards franchise QB from game manager QB, Tannehill definitely helped the Dolphins offense turn it around today when the defense was so hot and cold.

Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant, the Dolphins lilliputian receivers, certainly showed today that speed does kill. Early in the season, these two have been valuable players to the Dolphins. Today, they were game changers.

Xavien Howard is making leaps and bounds from developing player to shut down corner. Last week, he had a game changing interception against the Jets. This week, he had a game changing interception against the Raiders. Howard is beginning to become a guy that shuts down his half of the field and when teams do test him, he often makes them pay.

The Bad

When your quarterback leads your team in rushing yards, you know your running game probably had a bad day. Today, the Dolphins gained 15 yards on 11 carries on running plays where the running back touched the ball. Part of it was the Raiders selling out against the run. Part of it was poor run blocking. When teams are crashing against the run, the Dolphins need to be a little more aggressive attacking then down field. Early on, the Dolphins ran their usual assortment of WR screens and dump off passes. As they became more aggressive in the passing game, the offense became more effective and as they opened up the playbook the offense became explosive.

The run defense throughout the game and the pass defense early on were atrocious. It seems as if the Dolphins were not prepared for the Raiders offense, especially Jordy Nelson. Thankfully, some adjustments were made and the defense was able to make just enough plays to prevent the Raiders from lighting up the scoreboard. But this effort will guarantee a loss next week against New England.

The Ugly

I always hesitate to go after the officials but the officials made some ridiculous offensive pass interference calls on plays where the receiver was actually the one being mugged by the defenders. Even the announcers were wondering what the heck these officials were seeing.

Overall

The Dolphins showed significant resilience in coming back and winning this game. A defense that lost or was missing some key players earlier in the game was able to overcome a ton of adversity and create timely turnovers and stops. An offense that struggled for a good part of the day was able to create some explosive plays that ultimately sealed the win. Could it be that the "locker room chemistry" aspect, having the "right personalities" in the locker room really do make a difference?

It's definitely a nice start to the season, but it's about to get real when the Dolphins visit the Patriots next week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Nice write up Rich.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:12 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Thanks Rich good job as always. I've not seen more obviously bad officiating very often in one game, and it made a difference in the game. I'm sure that Gase will have some words with the NFL office over that. As you said, now it gets real when we go to New England. If the Patriots game ends as it stands as I write this, they'll be pissed about being 1-2 and I don't savor the idea of facing an angry Patriots team. Still, as Finesse says...

they're vulnerable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:19 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I’m happy we are going up north this early in the season. It’s about time we do our part in sticking the final nail in the coffin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Three weeks in a row where Miami has done what was needed to win. Everyone is having "moments" that contribute to these victories.

As Rich said, they need that running game to emerge next week because New England is going to be playing angry.

Nice write up as always Rich.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:39 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Excellent write up, Rich!

Rich wrote:
The Dolphins showed significant resilience in coming back and winning this game. Could it be that the "locker room chemistry" aspect, having the "right personalities" in the locker room really do make a difference?

This team is very much like the 2016 playoff team that didn't get behind by a large margin and fought to win games any way they could late in games. After losing 3 defensive linemen, I thought Gruden would find a way to wear us out, and maybe that is why they had difficulty in stopping a physical Marchawn Lynch in the 2nd half. It wasn't for a lack of trying. Smart offensive minded coaches just can't let go of the pass when they should be running the ball, and that's what happened to Gruden. The high-fives between Grant and Wilson on the way to the end zone really showed how good this chemistry is and the fun they are having with each other. I'm excited about the possibilities.

Rich wrote:
It's definitely a nice start to the season, but it's about to get real when the Dolphins visit the Patriots next week.

You're not going to beat a Belichick coached Patriots team if your offense is one-dimensional. I imagine he will try to do the same thing to us that Gruden did in focusing on stopping the run with the hopes that Brady can get a good lead going. It was a good game plan by Gruden to stop the run as this team does its best when the running game is working. Belichick is going to want to get Tannehill into the same situation as Derek Carr found himself in having to carry the team. Tannehill is a game manager, so, that is when mental mistakes happen.

Let's not forget that Derek Carr is Joe Philben's boy, and fought for the GM to draft Carr to replace Tannehill. Gase > Philben once again.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

While there is still room to take more steps towards franchise QB from game manager QB, Tannehill definitely helped the Dolphins offense turn it around today when the defense was so hot and cold.

He took the team on his back yesterday. No Run game, gassed defense. I'll give him credit. Check out his win loss record over his last 15 games.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:12 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I believe we had 5 WRs with over 40yards receiving. Who are they gonna stop? We need to shutdown Gronk and that's it. The Gordan hype will start but this dude is so overrated and Dorsett is hurt. No reason why we can't beat the Pats.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

There were some great plays in this game, and the only thing that MMQB had to say about our Dolphins is that we are undefeated. No respect, but on the other hand, I like being under the radar.

MMQB wrote:
And the Rams looking every bit the like juggernaut they hoped to be when they aggressively went through March and April, acquiring Aqib Talib, Brandin Cooks, Marcus Peters, Ndamukong Suh, et al.

The Rams, by the way, are one of just three teams to make it to 3-0 to this point (the Bucs can join them tonight). The surprise Dolphins are another. And then you have the high flying Chiefs and their gunslinging 23-year-old star

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/24/week- ... r-mayfield

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:24 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
I believe we had 5 WRs with over 40yards receiving. Who are they gonna stop? We need to shutdown Gronk and that's it. The Gordan hype will start but this dude is so overrated and Dorsett is hurt. No reason why we can't beat the Pats.

I completely agree.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:32 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:

Just be careful because Belichick will find a way to get Brady throwing to running backs who will somehow find highway lanes for big yardage. The defense had some moments but there were some disappointing coverage and tackling mistakes.

Current forecast for Sunday is rain. That could change a lot of things too. Vegas already has NE as 7 point favorites.

Tannehill will need a big game to beat the Pats.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:49 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There is no doubt the culture shift is responsible for some of this. Previous teams get beat by the Jets and lose yesterday. That never say die attitude is starting to infect the team

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

When clean, Gordon is a serious threat. Whether he can regain previous form or not will remain to be seen but in 2013 as a rookie he averaged 118yds a game with nobodies throwing the football his way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 am 

X marks the spot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

The Kiko we all know and love was back at getting abused this week... Although Beast Mode has a history of that...

James White won't be having a big game this weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

William Hayes is done for the year. That is a big loss for the DLine. Wonder if they re-sign Kendall Langford?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:55 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
The run defense throughout the game and the pass defense early on were atrocious. It seems as if the Dolphins were not prepared for the Raiders offense, especially Jordy Nelson. Thankfully, some adjustments were made and the defense was able to make just enough plays to prevent the Raiders from lighting up the scoreboard.

We were poor on first down defense as the Raiders were getting large chunks on first down on us. They seemed to always have 2nd and short. We definitely took the bend but not break approach.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Nice write up Rich. Your column is always one I look forward to reading each week, especially after a win.

Here would be my abbreviated version:

Good: Miami wins!
Bad: Running game.
Ugly: More injuries.
Fantastic: 2 games up and in first place!

Next up: NE

Last edited by The Fish Baron on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Wonder if they re-sign Kendall Langford?

I sat next to his father on a plane back from a game in NY years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:31 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
The Good

Ryan Tannehill had his cleanest game of the season thus far. When the running game couldn't get it going, the Dolphins turned to Tannehill for some timely downfield passes to get the offense going. Yes, two of the touchdown "passes" were forward tosses that make his numbers look real pretty, but Tannehill was still accurate downfield as well, hitting Kenny Stills for a gorgeous 34 yard TD, hitting Devante Parker for another 36 yarder downfield and getting the tight ends involved a little bit as well. He also chipped in with some timely runs to keep drives alive. While there is still room to take more steps towards franchise QB from game manager QB, Tannehill definitely helped the Dolphins offense turn it around today when the defense was so hot and cold.

Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant, the Dolphins lilliputian receivers, certainly showed today that speed does kill. Early in the season, these two have been valuable players to the Dolphins. Today, they were game changers.

Xavien Howard is making leaps and bounds from developing player to shut down corner. Last week, he had a game changing interception against the Jets. This week, he had a game changing interception against the Raiders. Howard is beginning to become a guy that shuts down his half of the field and when teams do test him, he often makes them pay.

The Bad

When your quarterback leads your team in rushing yards, you know your running game probably had a bad day. Today, the Dolphins gained 15 yards on 11 carries on running plays where the running back touched the ball. Part of it was the Raiders selling out against the run. Part of it was poor run blocking. When teams are crashing against the run, the Dolphins need to be a little more aggressive attacking then down field. Early on, the Dolphins ran their usual assortment of WR screens and dump off passes. As they became more aggressive in the passing game, the offense became more effective and as they opened up the playbook the offense became explosive.

The run defense throughout the game and the pass defense early on were atrocious. It seems as if the Dolphins were not prepared for the Raiders offense, especially Jordy Nelson. Thankfully, some adjustments were made and the defense was able to make just enough plays to prevent the Raiders from lighting up the scoreboard. But this effort will guarantee a loss next week against New England.

The Ugly

I always hesitate to go after the officials but the officials made some ridiculous offensive pass interference calls on plays where the receiver was actually the one being mugged by the defenders. Even the announcers were wondering what the heck these officials were seeing.

Overall

The Dolphins showed significant resilience in coming back and winning this game. A defense that lost or was missing some key players earlier in the game was able to overcome a ton of adversity and create timely turnovers and stops. An offense that struggled for a good part of the day was able to create some explosive plays that ultimately sealed the win. Could it be that the "locker room chemistry" aspect, having the "right personalities" in the locker room really do make a difference?

Great read as always arich.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Awesome write up. I am loving being a Dolphins fan, for the first time in 10 years

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:38 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dolphin Dad wrote:
Awesome write up. I am loving being a Dolphins fan, for the first time in 10 years

Team was 3-0 in 2013 as well with the latter two wins against impressive Colts and Falcon teams.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:32 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich didn't mention Cam Wake being a force in this game. He lost his first sack of the game as it was followed up by Spence's unsportsmanlike penalty. I am sure that a lot of people have criticized Raiders QB Derek Carr for his interceptions, but on this one he was hit by Cam Wake as he was throwing it and his receiver allowed Howard to take his place as the receiver by allowing him to get position on the ball. Can any receiver from the 2015 draft beat Howard? DeVante Parker was consistently beaten in the offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Big Dave wrote:
Rich didn't mention Cam Wake being a force in this game. He lost his first sack of the game as it was followed up by Spence's unsportsmanlike penalty. I am sure that a lot of people have criticized Raiders QB Derek Carr for his interceptions, but on this one he was hit by Cam Wake as he was throwing it and his receiver allowed Howard to take his place as the receiver by allowing him to get position on the ball. Can any receiver from the 2015 draft beat Howard? DeVante Parker was consistently beaten in the offseason.

Cam Wake has just been a beast for us year in and year out. He was a great pick up and he just keeps going. Is he as good as JT? Not sure, but he is still getting it done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:47 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

JT was the defensive player of the year once and is in the HOF. I think Wake has some work left to do.

Like Wake alot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:57 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Big Dave wrote:
We were poor on first down defense as the Raiders were getting large chunks on first down on us. They seemed to always have 2nd and short. We definitely took the bend but not break approach.

DC Coach Burke talks about the poor 3rd down conversion rate on defense, and a lot of it has to do with 3rd and short.

Adam Beasley wrote:
The Dolphins converted just 2 of 8 third-down chances in Week 3. The Raiders converted 7 of 13 of theirs.

Matt Burke’s job is to improve that second stat.

“We stink right now,” said Burke, the Dolphins’ defensive coordinator, about Miami’s third-down D. “We do.”

Then Burke explained why:

“We had, I think, 15 third downs last week and like 10 of them were less than five yards. Third-and-4 or less or something. And there was a couple of drives where we didn’t even get to third down. We’re not — and that’s a good offensive team that we played last week — but we’re giving up leaky yardage in the run game. Our stats aren’t horrible. But we’re side-tackling guys, we’re giving up four or five yards on a rush and then it’s three yards on the next rush and it’s third-and-2. It’s hard living. It’s hard living.”

Burke added: “We haven’t been good on third downs, but we haven’t put ourselves in spots to have success on most third downs.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:20 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Imo the Phin s D struggles to get off the field on third downs and the Phins O struggles to stay on field on third downs. It has been that way for years.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]